GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moxie, I'm referring to Apo's opening statements regarding the Big Lie.

Ah, I see. It's interesting to speculate about what the lie is that he's referring to, but I certainly don't think anyone on this forum would be swayed at all by Apo's words.

So, Nardi astutely observed that within the mixtures of DNA on both the gray sweater and the blue pants, the genetic code 29 is present in the exact same position of the DNA on BOTH garments, and this is NOT the code present in Capobianco's DNA. This connection was NOT originally noted by Miss Kashimoto herself, but after checking her report she agreed that it was indeed the case. This could be quite relevant in tying a non-Capobianco perp to both items of clothing which were found in totally different locations (deposited on different nights, according to our speculations here...).

Someone has to know who's clothing that did or did not belong to.

Or SC wanted to misdirect make it look like a serial killer so he put someone else's clothes at the scene.

There would be a lot more blood on clothes of murderer dimemberer than the ones found anyway.

You seem easily swayed

I can be swayed by science, RDS. Not by words.

I'm not swayed yet, but I'm definitely intrigued by the DNA findings.

I'm quite convinced that SC is responsible for Charli's death, just not certain at this point if he did the actual violence.

I've been thinking about Nala today. If SC left her in Haiku he would have had to deal with her sooner. Or left her at Charli's in Makawao people would have looked for Charli sooner.

Cass saw him before he left after he showered. Did she see what he was wearing? What was he wearing when Taylor saw him? What was he wearing when he Skyped Cass at 2am?

Here is what Apo said about the Big Lie:

"This is not to say Steven is completely without fault for sitting where he is today. The evidence in this case will be - probably to a nauseating degree - that Steven Capobianco lied to Detective Loo from the very start regarding his knowledge and/or involvement with Carly's disappearance and ultimately her death. Regarding this lie, this trial will finally address why Steven, and any other reasonable person in his shoes, would lie to a detective questioning you for something that is, for all you know, smaller than what you're trying to hide with the lie. Regarding this lie, the evidence will show that Steven provided the most information that he could, in relevant part, to Detective Loo and other investigators. The evidence will show that Steven did his best, under the circumstances, to provide Detective Loo with what he knew about the last whereabouts of Carly, all the way to the point of placing them on the road in the area he last saw her. In irrelevant part, the evidence will show that Steven refused to gratuitously incriminate both he and Carly by telling the whole truth about the night of February 9, 2014. That evidence will be coming out in trial. Ladies and Gentlemen, most of the evidence presented by the state in this trial will be addressing the "big lie" by Steven Capobianco, even though ironically, this "lie" or "statement" would have proved helpful to the investigators if taken for informative purposes rather than for guilt purposes."

It sounds to me like Apo said to Steven "Listen brah, the prosecution is going to show with certainty that there was no broken down vehicle at Keanae. You sure there's nothing else you want to tell me?"

And then Steven confessed to Apo that the broken-down truck was a lie, and "admitted" that he and Charli were really out there for some more nefarious purpose that night, like a drug deal, but he didn't want to say it to the cops initially because it involved illegal activity.

Does anyone have any other interpretations, based on Apo's hints?

This statement is the basis of their defense though. What's going to wrap up a not guilty verdict. This is what they are riding on.
I am expecting an excuse for the lie. Something the jury would believe he would initially lie about as to not incriminate Charli or himself.
Something he thinks explains himself away that the jury will think, oh ok that makes sense.

I am expecting something more like (purely example only) in the narrative of Steven...Charli and I met some guys at Paraquats to collect owed money and sell them drugs. I left, but Charli stayed to get high with them. I drove to Hana to sell more drugs and then back to meet Taylor again for drugs. I lied because I didn't want to incriminate her about the drugs and of course she didn't tell her family where she was going. If I spoke up about this I was warned more would be killed.

Or something to that effect. I'm not saying that is the big lie but I'm waiting for something like that they think is a big, big answer.

DNA from two or more people.... could it indicate that the clothing was "pre-owned"? You don't wear your good clothes if you are planning to get dirty. You might wear something that you picked up at a thrift shop - recently. I don't know how much wear it would take for someone to impart DNA on a garment, but I think the prosecution should have planted that thought in the minds of the jurors.

more at maui news
A pair of blue jeans stained with Carly “Charli” Scott’s blood also could contain DNA from her accused killer and ex-boyfriend Steven Capobianco, a criminalist testified Monday in Capobianco’s murder trial in 2nd Circuit Court.

Honolulu Police Department criminalist Samantha Kashimoto, who tested the DKNY blue jeans, said that DNA from both Scott and Capobianco “cannot be excluded” from being on the waistband of the jeans. The evidence “weight is not strong” on Scott’s and Capobianco’s DNA being on the waistband, but it still was strong enough to not exclude them as possible candidates.

Kashimoto said that the jeans also contained blood stains that were exact DNA matches to Scott and others that were less definitive.

The DKNY jeans discussed Monday were the same ones that Maui police found a single hair in that eventually was linked to Capobianco through DNA testing.
The frequency estimate for Scott’s and Capobianco’s DNA on the waistband of the jeans was a “low” 185. This contrasts with blood stains on the jeans linked to Scott that showed a DNA frequency estimate in the trillions.

Kashimoto said that the “low number . . . doesn’t change my conclusion” that Scott and Capobianco could be matches with the DNA samples, but “the weight is not strong.”

DNA from two or more people.... could it indicate that the clothing was "pre-owned"? You don't wear your good clothes if you are planning to get dirty. You might wear something that you picked up at a thrift shop - recently. I don't know how much wear it would take for someone to impart DNA on a garment, but I think the prosecution should have planted that thought in the minds of the jurors.

Great point, Kapua. Maybe Rivera and team will read your post.

But in a court of law unless the defendant can be placed purchasing or borrowing the clothing this is stretching for an explanation.
And...we still don't know who's DKNY jeans they were. Hopefully somehow they tie those jeans to Steven without the DNA in the pocket.

Jennifer Taylor, although I don't remember that she was asked that specifically, did not mention he was naked, pantless or shirtless.
Taylor Farner, although I don't remember being asked that question specifically either, did not mention a naked Steven Capobianco.
One would think that was a little off, even for Maui.

Honolulu Police Department criminalist Samantha Kashimoto, who tested the DKNY blue jeans, said that DNA from both Scott and Capobianco “cannot be excluded” from being on the waistband of the jeans. The evidence “weight is not strong” on Scott’s and Capobianco’s DNA being on the waistband, but it still was strong enough to not exclude them as possible candidates

185...185 as compared to Trillions eek! hopefully a juror hearing those numbers isn't a betting man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member