GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So here we are, another day waiting......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here we are, another day waiting......

I can't believe we have not heard a single word about what is going on. This has to be the weirdest trial I have ever watched. imo

I realize it was a very long trial, almost too long and the jury has a lot of info to go over. I wonder have they asked any questions yet?

I can't believe we have not heard a single word about what is going on. This has to be the weirdest trial I have ever watched. imo

I realize it was a very long trial, almost too long and the jury has a lot of info to go over. I wonder have they asked any questions yet?

I know! I wish we could hear something, anything!

Has anyone watched the show Bull? About jury selection and jury decisions. I caught it once and it was very interesting.

It seems normal to me that the public doesn't hear anything. I guess we're used to a world of updates, but these proceedings are confidential and they only communicate with the judge, and only to ask questions about jury instructions or to ask to review testimony, etc..

Even their vote ballots are secret. The holdouts if any are not identified to each other, and may change.

We don't get real news until they either return with verdict or report a deadlock, but sometimes the media will get wind of and report some question they submitted to the judge, and it might spark public speculation on where their focus is, a witness, forensics, etc..

There hasn't been any of that so far.

I also hope to heaven they are not going to deadlock. It only takes one juror not to be convinced, so it could happen. Especially if there is someone who has a suspicion of Maui PD investigations, which is a common thing on Maui.

Has anyone watched the show Bull? About jury selection and jury decisions. I caught it once and it was very interesting.
Yes, I've watched all the episodes. it's interesting and I had to follow
Michael Weatherly after his departure from NCIS. He's played Tony for such a long time, since 2002? and now he's the "boss" and the wise man, which is fun.

I saw a TV mini-series recently called "Sequestered" (fiction not documentary), on life in a hotel-sequestered jury, but it was high drama because of the sex, extortion, and political backstory. Still interesting on the dynamics in a deliberation room. (streamed for free on Crackle, web series)

It seems normal to me that the public doesn't hear anything. I guess we're used to a world of updates, but these proceedings are confidential and they only communicate with the judge, and only to ask questions about jury instructions or to ask to review testimony, etc..

Even their vote ballots are secret. The holdouts if any are not identified to each other, and may change.

We don't get real news until they either return with verdict or report a deadlock, but sometimes the media will get wind of and report some question they submitted to the judge, and it might spark public speculation on where their focus is, a witness, forensics, etc..

There hasn't been any of that so far.

I also hope to heaven they are not going to deadlock. It only takes one juror not to be convinced, so it could happen. Especially if there is someone who has a suspicion of Maui PD investigations, which is a common thing on Maui.

I don't know if Hawai'i courts are the same as California courts, but I have been on jury duty twice in CA, the second (recent) time as an alternate. So I can speak only to my one experience with jury deliberations. During deliberations, we jurors were in the room in the back with all of the evidence - and there were stacks of it. When we went to lunch, we all went together, accompanied by a court employee. When two or more of us went to the restroom, again we were accompanied by a court employee to make sure that we were not discussing the case. We sometimes sent questions to the judge, and the judge sent answers back. Once or twice we asked for testimony to be read back. There were *no* interactions or communications whatsoever that the outside world could get their hands on. So based on my personal experience, I would not expect to hear anything until the jury arrives at a verdict.

@courtchatter reports as of today there have been 11 questions/requests from jury. Deliberations continue. No other details are available.

Thanks Kapua. That's what I thought and see no reason to think it's different here.
honeybell, I forgot about court chatter. Good report!
I think the attorneys may be told what the requests and questions entail. They may be talking plea, we have to assume it's on the table in some form.

Today is Friday; it's time to get back to family and that should be incentive.

@courtchatter reports as of today there have been 11 questions/requests from jury. Deliberations continue. No other details are available.

Thanks for posting! Good to have a little update. I usually can't get to Court Chatter @ work. I'm hoping for a guilty verdict today.
:jail:

When it comes to jury deliberations, I have learned that patience is a virtue.

Was checking out the exact charges for SC when I noted that SC is not charged with the death of his own baby. By constitutional law, is it that one must be born before being considered a person worthy of killing? I do not understand why the baby's death is not mentioned in the charges against his biological father.
July 2014; BBM
An arraignment and plea is scheduled to take place at 8:30 this morning for Steven Capobianco, who was indicted on second-degree murder and third-degree arson in the homicide death of his ex-girlfriend Carly “Charli” Scott.

Was checking out the exact charges for SC when I noted that SC is not charged with the death of his own baby. By constitutional law, is it that one must be born before being considered a person worthy of killing? I do not understand why the baby's death is not mentioned in the charges against his biological father.

Charli's mom is actually working to enact a law for feticide now. There is no law in place at this time in Hawaii.

https://www.change.org/p/hawaii-sta...-s-right-to-have-an-abortion-or-to-give-birth

This is sticky territory. Any determinations, which already exist in some states, to regard the taking of the life of a pregnant woman and her unborn child a double homicide, brings a double standard as regards the value of the child as a "person".

While a move is ongoing in Congress to establish a constitutional amendment declaring ALL unborn children "persons", which would protect both the wanted and the unwanted, it is a very, very controversial subject, and not one easy to grapple with honestly and deeply.

We love Charlie and Joshua. We feel horrified at their cruel murder and profoundly grieve their loss with their family. Life is so precious.

@courtchatter today reports there have now been 17 questions/requests by jury according to court records.

Good question.
I know our courthouse closes at 5 pm, with the library and all the business ending at 4:30, and the security locking the building at 5, and the parking lot.

I think they do have after hours events at times.

Anyway, assuming the jury room is in the courthouse, and knowing there is a bailiff on duty with them, I would spec they leave at 4:30-5 too, but I don't know that.

(The State of Hawai'i runs the judiciary, not the counties, although Honolulu County has its own rules because its special. I think all the neighbor islands would have the same hours for the main courthouse of the county.)

This wait must be awful for Charli's family. I bet they jump every time the phone rings.

This may have already been answered, but, in the case of an acquittal, are the reasons stated?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back