GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yeah but confidence and demeanor carry a lot of weight. Rivera would stammer and stutter and forget his train of thought often. Instead of carrying his notes to the podium he acted like he had the cat in the bag and presented his questions like they were off the cuff. I see we too are divided on Websleuths because I think Rivera is part of the problem.

I don't disagree with you. Rivera is part of the problem, but there is plenty of blame to go around. I would also say that there appears to be at least one juror with NO common sense. JMHO.

I don't disagree with you. Rivera is part of the problem, but there is plenty of blame to go around. I would also say that there appears to be at least one juror with NO common sense. JMHO.

I have no idea how they are divided. Well at least we know SOME felt he was guilty.

But what did the juror say was the concern? I am dying to know.

In this day and age money rules everything. I hope justice and not cost containment is pursued here.

I wonder if jury being hung/divided is a reflection of general mistrust of or bitterness towards the MPD.

The family had no idea and was not contacted about this hearing. This is one thing I cautioned about way back when and to anyone who would ever have the unfortunate circumstance to deal with the court system. The family is not told everything and are not the top priority in many cases. They will not call, they will forget to tell you important stuff and this is all common for them with very little emotion. My heart goes out to Charli's family more so than ever right now.

That is why the family is fighting for a victims' rights bill. Because the current treatment of family and victims is uncaring and unjust.

To finish what the judge said...
He will send communication to jury asking if they believe additional deliberations would be useful, and will ask if the court can provide any thing that will assist them.
All counsel agreed.

Steven looked less than happy and no smile now.

Huh? Makes my head hurt.
I know. Well the juror was forbidden to reveal anything specific including the number split on the division.

My interpretation:
They were not all twelve out of hope to reach a verdict. Therefore that message they were hung is not really dispositive, as ALL twelve must believe it is hopeless. Some portion of the jury may have pressured the rest to hang it up, but this juror at least no sooner got out than decided to not let it go. Good for him or her.

Wonder how much impending Christmas is influencing them to yield to the frustration and say they cannot get it done.

It's an island. Maybe some threats were made. So unfortunate for the jurors that can see plain as day that SC killed Charli and the baby and is responsible for this circus.

This might be spite on the part of jurors that have had to deal with MPD but they need to realize that this is not the time to act out their personal vendettas against MPD and Maui's court system.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=myNU2mEvW9E

Here is verbatim (as best as I can transcribe) what Cardoza said in summary re what the juror who appeared told the court just now:

"The jury-court communication #19 may or may not fully reflect the position of the twelve jurors. It may or may not be that further deliberations may be of value.

And so ... the court proposes that the following communication be sent to the jury:
Would further deliberations assist the jury in reaching a verdict?
Or are you hopelessly deadlocked, such that you are unable to reach a unanimous verdict as to both counts?

And that can be revised ...
(asks Jones and Apo)
Then this communication will be sent to the jury."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=myNU2mEvW9E

Here is verbatim (as best as I can transcribe) what Cardoza said in summary re what the juror who appeared told the court just now:

"The jury-court communication #19 may or may not fully reflect the position of the twelve jurors. It may or may not be that further deliberations may be of value.

And so ... the court proposes that the following communication be sent to the jury:
Would further deliberations assist the jury in reaching a verdict?
Or are you hopelessly deadlocked, such that you are unable to reach a unanimous verdict as to both counts?

And that can be revised ...
(asks Jones and Apo)
Then this communication will be sent to the jury."

I am confused then, are they still deliberating?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noizewarr
Back