GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have a lot of thoughts. But I'm going to breath this guilty verdict in and enjoy the thankfulness I feel towards the jury for a bit.

So nice to get some good news today. Thank you jurors!

Charli and Joshua, may you rest in peace. :rose:

For an innocent man he sure was composed during the reading of the verdict. I would have been visibly upset. He didn't even seem surprised although he was white as a ghost.

Anyone else notice the resounding YES from the jurors when polled except for that one female jurist that could barely be heard. I also wish Akaku had focused on SC when the verdict was read. It's ok, I think they were nervous too.

I have to give Rivera and Jones their props for the guilty conviction. I doubted them the whole time. I wanted an aha! moment that never came but they proved their case and that's all that matters.

Pua... explain the enhanced sentencing phase.

Anyone else notice the resounding YES from the jurors when polled except for that one female jurist that could barely be heard. I also wish Akaku had focused on SC when the verdict was read. It's ok, I think they were nervous too.

I have to give Rivera and Jones their props for the guilty conviction. I doubted them the whole time. I wanted an aha! moment that never came but they proved their case and that's all that matters.

Yes yes yes! Exactly my thoughts.

I'm hoping the jury will speak about their experience.

Soooo GLAD to see this verdict! My husband and I just got back from Maui, and I thought about Charli and Joshua much of the time while we were over there, hoping strongly that they would get the justice they both deserved. Thanks, Jury!

:clap:

I thought it sounded like more than 1 juror that gave a quiet yes response. Most were very loud and clear! I hope that was just their voice and not their true feelings.

Yes I am curious about the enhanced sentencing phase. I understand about the cruel circumstance, because we all know Steven killed Carly and Joshua in a cruel manner. So that shouldn't be hard to prove. imo

You're right Jewels. Jurors 1, 2, 7 were very quiet. You almost miss 1 and 2 because you can barely hear them.

No matter, they convicted him and that's ALL that concerns me.

You're right Jewels. Jurors 1, 2, 7 were very quiet. You almost miss 1 and 2 because you can barely hear them.

No matter, they convicted him and that's ALL that concerns me.

The sentencing also concerns me. It should be life without the possibility of parole.

Loio and Kapua you are both right all that matters is the jury was unanimous in the verdict of Guilty of 2nd degree murder!

I just hope they are all in agreement on the cruelty phase! Yes life in prison should be what the murderer has to serve, he should never see daylight again. We should just start calling him the murderer and nothing else! The murderer doesn't deserve to have a name. imo

Yes life in prison should be what the murderer has to serve, he should never see daylight again.

BBM

Agree, 100%.

For an innocent man he sure was composed during the reading of the verdict. I would have been visibly upset. He didn't even seem surprised although he was white as a ghost.

I think he had to have known what was coming, Loio. No way all 12 of the jurors could have agreed he was "not guilty".
He did have numerous episodes of far-away stares, though.

And now considering the jury does believe him guilty as charged, they must also believe he killed her as the prosecution laid out, the holes in the skirt and bra are quite compelling. So I'd think they should have no problem finding the aggravating circumstances and the judge giving him LWOP.

I found a little bit about the law here. I think the fact that only pieces of her have been found should go a long way in proving that this was an especially heinous crime.

The court may sentence a person who was eighteen years of age or over at the time of the offense and who has been convicted of murder in the second degree to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole under section 706-656 if the court finds that the murder was especially heinous, atrocious, or cruel, manifesting exceptional depravity or that the person was previously convicted of the offense of murder in the first degree or murder in the second degree in this State or was previously convicted in another jurisdiction of an offense that would constitute murder in the first degree or murder in the second degree in this State.  As used in this section, the phrase “especially heinous, atrocious, or cruel, manifesting exceptional depravity” means a conscienceless or pitiless crime which is unnecessarily torturous to a victim and “previously convicted” means a sentence imposed at the same time or a sentence previously imposed which has not been set aside, reversed, or vacated.

Hearings to determine the grounds for imposing an enhanced sentence for second degree murder may be initiated by the prosecutor or by the court on its own motion.  The court shall not impose an enhanced term unless the ground therefor has been established at a hearing after the conviction of the defendant and on written notice to the defendant of the ground proposed.  Subject to the provision of section 706-604, the defendant shall have the right to hear and controvert the evidence against the defendant and to offer evidence upon the issue.
The provisions pertaining to commutation in section 706-656(2), shall apply to persons sentenced pursuant to this section.

http://codes.findlaw.com/hi/divisio...rev-st-sect-706-657.html#sthash.WvsVY6dt.dpuf

Thanks Estrella!

MM, I agree the verdict was foreseeable to him.

I can see now why he wore the same aloha shirt every day. He will not be wearing it or any other non-prison attire again (I hope), so he had to get full use of his new shirt (or were there two) during the trial.

Court should start in ten minutes from now with Rivera presenting his case for
depravity and torture, followed by Apo whining that Carli was not even wearing the clothes with the stab holes and the bra was not that color, and his client should not be penalized for the acts of a wild pig. His client is the wild pig, and yes he should be.

And I've got a dark screen. Anyone have video?
Is anyone there at the court?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goldengoose1997
Back