HI HI - Charlotte Moriarty, 31, Haaula, 21 June 1977

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am totally confused now. How old was he when his mom dropped him off at a strangers house? Said he was adopted at age 4...how could the the orphanage not know he was a missing baby?? shame on mom..what a nutjob.

I am totally confused now. How old was he when his mom dropped him off at a strangers house? Said he was adopted at age 4...how could the the orphanage not know he was a missing baby?? shame on mom..what a nutjob.

After reading his story I have doubts that his mother was the one who dropped him off. Hmmm.

The Daily Mail article just keeps quoting what appears to be an upcoming article in People magazine, so there may be more details there. (I wonder if they deemed the mother "found," because once they knew for sure she was the one who took the kid and did so voluntarily, they realized she was never really "missing" in the sense they originally thought?) Given that the kid was listed as missing and was placed in/adopted from an orphanage on the same Hawaiian island that he disappeared from, state authorities seem to have screwed this up big time.

The Daily Mail article just keeps quoting what appears to be an upcoming article in People magazine, so there may be more details there. (I wonder if they deemed the mother "found," because once they knew for sure she was the one who took the kid and did so voluntarily, they realized she was never really "missing" in the sense they originally thought?) Given that the kid was listed as missing and was placed in/adopted from an orphanage on the same Hawaiian island that he disappeared from, state authorities seem to have screwed this up big time.

BBM.
Yeah, how does a UID child show up at an orphanage, and they don't check to see if he's missing? I mean, I know this was before DNA and there would be no fingerprints, but they took my footprints, and I was born in '78.
Also, did they really still have orphanages in the late 70's in the US?
This is fascinating, I hope we learn more.

After reading his story I have doubts that his mother was the one who dropped him off. Hmmm.

It says she was put into a psychiatric hospital she later vanished from, so perhaps they confirmed her identity there.

There were no centralized missing persons databases back then, and the idea Marx might have other family looking for him probably didn't occur to the authorities.

I was amazed to see how closely he did match the age progressed photo. I think it's great that he has been found and connect with his father.

The mom may have been so disconnected with reality that she did not know their identities or was so paranoid that she felt persecuted and had to hid the identities because of her mental health issues. Also, I must say this: perhaps this mom, who happens to be human with a serious medical condition (yes, mental health issues are medical conditions) felt attached to and loving enough towards her son that she surrendered (dropped him off) him to a neighbor who could provide what she could not in terms of stability. You have to give her credit for not thinking the best way to protect her child during a serious episode of mental illness was to end both their lives. She did the best she could with the resources she had. Yes, this case is very sad, but, he is alive and well, he was taken care of and ended up turning out ok...sometimes adoption isn't a bad thing. Just saying.

I haven't seen any local coverage for this yet. If I do, I'll bring a link here.

Here is some more of the story from the Philadelphia Daily News. It looks like his story is in this weeks People magazine for those who are interested.

Apparently, he was adopted by a military family and raised in South Jersey.

STEVE CARTER, a 35-year-old from South Philly, is on the cover of this week's People magazine, right next to the news of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's engagement.

Carter recently discovered that when he was 6 months old and living with his parents in Hawaii, his mother changed his identity and left him in state custody after she checked out of a psychiatric hospital there.

Carter was adopted at age 4 by military man Steve Carter and his wife, Pat, who eventually moved to Medford Lakes, Burlington County.

Carter's curiosity about his background began, he said, after he read about the case of Carlina White in January 2011. White, of Atlanta, solved her own kidnapping when she found images of herself on missingkids.com.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20120420_LOST__THEN_FOUND.html

This is an interesting article that provides a lot of details...

http://www.willitsnews.com/ci_20495811/willits-man-elated-find-missing-son

"Although much has been made in the media about Barnes waiting 20 days to report them missing, Barnes told TWN he actually waited 48 hours because he knew authorities would not act sooner."

"Barnes said there were signs after Marx was born that Moriarty had psychiatric problems. "After bringing Marx home from the hospital, she wore a blindfold day and night for three weeks, so I cared for him by myself.""

Sounds like (at the very least) she may have had severe postpartum depression if not psychosis. If that is indeed the case, thank goodness she found her way through the haze long enough to give the baby to someone else before any physical harm was done.

Wow 34 years and he located himself really. That is a great ending and hopefully gives hope to other families out there.

Philadelphia Man Finds Himself on Missing Children's Site

Best I can figure he was about 1 years old when he was placed into Foster. After 35 years mis-identified he recognizes himself on missingkids.com.

As I follow these cases and certainly not all, I've begun to wonder how often this could occur of something like it. Far as I know there is no databases or matching system for foster or adoptive babies.

Right now I'm questioning myself on the ways mis-identification can happen, intentional or not. (back to the story)

About the mother

"She was found in a house where she didn't belong, we were told, and someone called the police and they found her with the baby," Victoria Carter said. "The baby was put in foster care and she was taken to a mental health facility. At that point, she told them her name was Jane Amey, and that the baby's name was Tenzin Amey. She gave a birth date that was one day off."

Baby Steven stayed in foster care for three years while police searched for his father. But because they had been given the wrong name, they did not find him. After three years in foster care, Steven was put up for adoption.

Full story at link

http://abcnews.go.com/US/philadelph...childrens-site/story?id=16235200#.T57Qu7POVJJ

I saw this on HLN today. I am so glad that he was able to find some answers.
It did made me wonder how many times do missing children get lost in the system?

What a wonderful story! Thanks all you WS'ers!

Just spent an hour reading this thread and all the associated links - nice to read something positive with a happy ending!

However, what strikes me is how this unidentified child was in a Hawaiian orphanage for 3 years, while his poor father was searching for him on the same island. I know it was 1977 but you'd think the HI authorities could have put 2+2 together somehow.

Here's a link to an updated story: http://www.southjerseylocalnews.com...4fec66715bda0755155907.txt?viewmode=fullstory

I wonder where his mum is?

don't feel too bad for the father--he left 5/6 months after his son disappeared and went back to the mainland and married some other woman...no one knows where charlotte is and will most likely never know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmphilippe
Back