Holly Bobo found deceased, discussion thread *Arrests* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The judge said he had several options for change of venue in Dec. It sounded to me like he wants to move the whole trial out of Decatur Co. vs. bringing in jurors from another county. jmo

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...neys-suspects-want-change-venue-trial-n270011

:seeya: Just jumping off your post here:

I am seriously starting to wonder IF this case will ever get to trial, much less a ruling on "change of venue," with all these shenanigans by the TBI and DA, not timely responding to discovery requests, not following the judge's scheduling order, etc. etc. etc.

:please: I hope not because Holly deserves much better than this !

Don't know if this case will ever be tried but if so, anxious to see how certain accounts hold up under cross-ex.

I have spent the last few days watching the gavel to gavel coverage of the Vanderbilt rape trial. Maybe off topic, and I in no way want to comingle the two crimes. But since both trials are or will be in TN and one of the defense attorneys will be representing a defendant in this case as well I thought I might get a glimpse of what's ahead. TBI has had some lab representatives testify. The lengths that LE has gone to getting videos and texts, etc. has been interesting. Including flying to CA and getting SW's of friends of the defendants cell phones who had been sent video and texts.

Watching Fletcher Long work has been interesting. I can tell he did not miss one episode of "Matlock". However I have to admit IMO he has been effective with what he has to work with.

JMO's

No trial has been set and the defendants' lawyers have filed a motion to dismiss the charges. The attorneys said they had not received any evidence linking their clients to the crime. Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokesman Josh DeVine said Thursday that some hair samples have been sent to the FBI for testing, but the TBI has analyzed all the evidence it has received.

Still makes me go hmmmmmmm...... Wonder if this is why Stowe was in such a tizzie!

What really really irks me is this:

They just wrapped up the Vanderbilt Rape Trial, that happened in 2013. The TBI forensics team was all over it. and the Jury is going to get the case on Monday.

I know this is a murder trial and maybe the forensics may take a bit longer, but really????? Why didn't they just tell the judge, that they didn't have all the discovery and didn't want to piece meal it all to the defense.

:gaah:

What really really irks me is this:

They just wrapped up the Vanderbilt Rape Trial, that happened in 2013. The TBI forensics team was all over it. and the Jury is going to get the case on Monday.

I know this is a murder trial and maybe the forensics may take a bit longer, but really????? Why didn't they just tell the judge, that they didn't have all the discovery and didn't want to piece meal it all to the defense.

:gaah:

I am guessing that the issues were much more problematic than "TBI hasn't done its testing" and that the TBI is being used as a scapegoat.

Fact is, Stowe didn't provide discovery of anything, including what he has that did NOT need to be tested. He gave them nothing. Then, when called on it by the defense, he PROMISED the judge to provide a list of evidence coming and the "particulars" of the case within a week. Didn't do that either (that made him a liar), and he quit the case.

No excuse for such laziness or unprofessionalism.

This case has been so unusual both from the investigative side of things and the prosecution side of things, that I am not even willing to hazard a guess as to whether change in venue will happen and how it will be instituted if it is. Just literally shaking my head at all that has gone on in this one.

I am guessing that the issues were much more problematic than "TBI hasn't done its testing" and that the TBI is being used as a scapegoat.

Fact is, Stowe didn't provide discovery of anything, including what he has that did NOT need to be tested. He gave them nothing. Then, when called on it by the defense, he PROMISED the judge to provide a list of evidence coming and the "particulars" of the case within a week. Didn't do that either (that made him a liar), and he quit the case.

No excuse for such laziness or unprofessionalism.

There is no reason not to hand it over, it has nothing to do with "laziness" or "unprofessionalism". The information should have been assembled by the previous prosecutor, but obviously was not, and apparently the assistant DAs were not cooperating either, otherwise the package would have been ready to go. I think Stowe was privately appalled by the conduct of the investigation in the case, resulting in him calling his staff and LE out on what has been going on so far and they collectively did an unofficial go slow strike on him in response so he would be left twisting in the wind. Office and interagency politics at work.

There is another story going on behind the scenes IMO, one we don't know about. My guess, as I have said from the start, is that they don't have much (or any) of a case to begin with, and when discovery eventually does get handed over it is going to result in an immediate motion for dismissal. And if it turns out that the prosecutions office knew this is what the outcome would be all along, and through various contrivances delayed things in the hope of getting a lucky break while the suspects were stewing in prison, there could potentially going to be some disbarments coming out of it. That is probably why Stowe washed his hands of it, he doesn't want to be the fall guy.

I think that fear of the fallout is what is causing all the drama.

The real frustration for me is that I believe, deep in my heart, we have the right guys. If they had only been kept in jail for their numerous felonious crimes, Holly would still be alive today.
Shame, shame, shame on whatever system failure or family connection or any other thing that allowed that to happen~

One of the many things I do not understand about this case is that why could the prosecutors not provided defense right away the evidence and testimony given to the Grand Jury in order to get the indictments? If the evidence was enough to get those against these individuals then why would it not be enough for the defense attorneys to at least see there was at least probable cause against their clients? That should have been readily available as they had just provided it at Grand Jury, IMO.

Secondly, this investigation spans over at least three years. Why wouldn't the District Attorney's know (or at least hope) that arrests would be inevitable and have any and all "discovery" ready for that to happen. Just like if you know you are going to be audited by the IRS at some point, why wouldn't you have your documents and information ready for the audit when that time arrives?

IMO for the TBI to say they have tested 460 items of evidence means nothing to me. It may sound impressive but what matters is does ANY of it tie to defendants to the crimes they are charged with? That's like saying I have hundreds of aquaintances, but no real friends.

Did anyone see the TBI experts performance and results at the Vanderbilt trial this week? I did and was not impressed, nor was Fletcher Long.

JMO's

"Defense: Government has asked you to come in and say you never found evidence against client accused here today?
Expert: True"
‪#‎vandytrial

‬

https://www.facebook.com/NC5ChrisConte?fref=nf

One of the many things I do not understand about this case is that why could the prosecutors not provided defense right away the evidence and testimony given to the Grand Jury in order to get the indictments? If the evidence was enough to get those against these individuals then why would it not be enough for the defense attorneys to at least see there was at least probable cause against their clients? That should have been readily available as they had just provided it at Grand Jury, IMO.

Secondly, this investigation spans over at least three years. Why wouldn't the District Attorney's know (or at least hope) that arrests would be inevitable and have any and all "discovery" ready for that to happen. Just like if you know you are going to be audited by the IRS at some point, why wouldn't you have your documents and information ready for the audit when that time arrives?

IMO for the TBI to say they have tested 460 items of evidence means nothing to me. It may sound impressive but what matters is does ANY of it tie to defendants to the crimes they are charged with? That's like saying I have hundreds of aquaintances, but no real friends.

Did anyone see the TBI experts performance and results at the Vanderbilt trial this week? I did and was not impressed, nor was Fletcher Long.

JMO's

"Defense: Government has asked you to come in and say you never found evidence against client accused here today?
Expert: True"
‪#‎vandytrial

‬

https://www.facebook.com/NC5ChrisConte?fref=nf

Probably because the indictments were obtained largely on the testimony of these guys who were "cooperating" in return for deals/favorable treatment on other offences and not much else at the time (yes, prosecutors can get indictments from that). LE was anticipating finding physical corroboration in subsequent searches and investigation, because they had two witnesses claiming that the accused were the guilty ones who in theory corroborated each other. But subsequent searches likely did not find any of the physical corroboration they were hoping for (necessary, to protect the witnesses from impeachment), and in all probability found evidence contradicting what these guys were claiming (making them very impeachable). If they handed over all of the evidence, and particularly when they gathered the evidence, it would expose the weak case they likely have. The fact that they have decided to charge DA, who should be their principal witness and someone they would be expected to protect at all costs, speaks volumes about how valuable his initial claims really were. Likewise with the threats to take SA's immunity agreement away and charge him with stuff as well. And these are the two guys who their indictment rests on??? Unbelievable. It speaks volumes about the status of their case IMO.

IMO that is what all of the delays have been about, they are trying to stave off the day when the defense knows what they know and will be positioned to file a motion for dismissal, in the hopes that something will turn up to corroborate what their witnesses are claiming and that the case can still be salvaged.

I think Stowe has found himself in the position of someone who has just bought a big piece of property and has settled in only to find out that there are all sorts of major issues that were conveniently not brought up by the previous owners. That is the best way I can put it.

The fact that they have decided to charge DA, who should be their principal witness and someone they would be expected to protect at all costs, speaks volumes about how valuable his initial claims really were.

That charge against DA is weird on lots of levels imo.

It doesn't make sense, if they want his testimony.

And if the other cases collapse without his testimony, then this isn't a "last resort" that would get them anywhere imo. Without the kidnapping being proven, how can they explain - for purposes of charges against DA - how he ever had access to Holly to do anything? I think any half-decent defense atty would be able to get such a charge laughed out of court.

Looks to me like they have prioritized the wrong case. And this would unquestionably be on Stowe - who chose to arrest and charge DA - and no one else.

Just one more reason to make me think that Stowe might understand the defense side of the courtroom, but has no clue how to get the job done from the other side.

There is no reason not to hand it over, it has nothing to do with "laziness" or "unprofessionalism". The information should have been assembled by the previous prosecutor, but obviously was not, and apparently the assistant DAs were not cooperating either, otherwise the package would have been ready to go. I think Stowe was privately appalled by the conduct of the investigation in the case, resulting in him calling his staff and LE out on what has been going on so far and they collectively did an unofficial go slow strike on him in response so he would be left twisting in the wind. Office and interagency politics at work.

There is another story going on behind the scenes IMO, one we don't know about. My guess, as I have said from the start, is that they don't have much (or any) of a case to begin with, and when discovery eventually does get handed over it is going to result in an immediate motion for dismissal. And if it turns out that the prosecutions office knew this is what the outcome would be all along, and through various contrivances delayed things in the hope of getting a lucky break while the suspects were stewing in prison, there could potentially going to be some disbarments coming out of it. That is probably why Stowe washed his hands of it, he doesn't want to be the fall guy.

I think that fear of the fallout is what is causing all the drama.

BBM. Yep, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that we don't know about and there has been since the minute Holly walked into those woods, if not before. We heard nothing from TBI, for how long? Holly's father was silenced in the tv appearance, and the fact that Karen lost it and told her son to get a gun when she heard Holly went into the woods with someone, tells me there is a lot more to this story.

I have been on this case since day 1, although after the arrest(s) I slacked off. None of it has ever made much sense, too much secrecy, too many changes in the "story" line. Something ain't right here, IMO.

"but this is just an example of "change of venue." IF anyone has any other examples, please post them !"

There was a Dallas city council official who was indicted in Dallas about 10 yrs ago for taking bribes. The whole trial was simply moved to west Texas - new judge (as i recall), jurors from there, tried there, etc.

:seeya: Thank You, Steve !

It's going to be interesting to see how the "change of venue" will be handled in Holly's case.

And I have NO idea how it works in Tennessee.

The judge said he had several options for change of venue in Dec. It sounded to me like he wants to move the whole trial out of Decatur Co. vs. bringing in jurors from another county. jmo

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...neys-suspects-want-change-venue-trial-n270011

Dr. Know, it seems that the new change of venue procedure is to bring in jurors from another county or judicial district as in the Casey Anthony, and other cases. Due to internet awareness, the 24 hour cable news networks, and other local/national MSM coverage in high profile cases. It is virtually impossible to
find prospective jurors without knowledge of these cases. Knowledge of a case by a juror does not automatically disqualify them..

I feel that the judge will seriously take in to consideration the community and the Bobo family's wishes in this trial..

That charge against DA is weird on lots of levels imo.

It doesn't make sense, if they want his testimony.

And if the other cases collapse without his testimony, then this isn't a "last resort" that would get them anywhere imo. Without the kidnapping being proven, how can they explain - for purposes of charges against DA - how he ever had access to Holly to do anything? I think any half-decent defense atty would be able to get such a charge laughed out of court.

Looks to me like they have prioritized the wrong case. And this would unquestionably be on Stowe - who chose to arrest and charge DA - and no one else.

Just one more reason to make me think that Stowe might understand the defense side of the courtroom, but has no clue how to get the job done from the other side.

They could arrest and charge DA because he apparently implicated himself in interviews. So, for him, they don't need corroboration, they can use his statements against him.

That is not the case with the others though, for them some sort of corroboration of DAs claims is needed or the case will fail.

They could arrest and charge DA because he apparently implicated himself in interviews. So, for him, they don't need corroboration, they can use his statements against him.

That is not the case with the others though, for them some sort of corroboration of DAs claims is needed or the case will fail.

Yeah, maybe, but I still think they'd have a hard time making the charges stick. In the context of a kidnapping/murder, his confession (shaky because of the diminished capacity issues) might hold up, but otherwise it's a confession without any other proof that a crime even happened. Like I said, any def atty worth his salt prob gets that dismissed easily - ie in a summary judgment.

These may have been posted, but posting for the record as things online seem to go "poof" sometimes:

From WSMV:

Still no court date for Holly Bobo case

Nearly 500 pieces of evidence in the Holly Bobo case have been analyzed by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, but there is still no word on when the legal case against the suspects in her death will move forward.

More at Link: http://www.wsmv.com/story/27927180/still-no-court-date-for-holly-bobo-case#ixzz3PxOmUBIL

From the Jackson Sun:

TBI: Evidence analysis in Bobo case done

Authorities say they have completed their analysis of more than 460 pieces of evidence in the case of a woman whose partial remains were found three years after her disappearance, possibly bringing defense attorneys a step closer to seeing how prosecutors have linked their clients to her.

More at Link: http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/news/2015/01/23/tbi-evidence-analysis-bobo-case-done/22253785/

From NC5:

TBI: Analysis Of Evidence In Bobo Case Finished

Defense attorneys may be a step closer to understanding what evidence prosecutors have against their clients in the case of a missing nursing student whose partial remains were found more than three years after her disappearance.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokesman Josh DeVine said Thursday the bureau has completed its analysis of more than 460 pieces of evidence in the case of Holly Bobo, who was 20 when she disappeared from her house in April 2011.

More at Link: http://www.jrn.com/newschannel5/news/TBI-Analysis-Of-Evidence-In-Bobo-Case-Finished-289559591.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouTanner