Hope Sykes arrested 1/20/2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's not likely where these cases are heard. The statutes in Florida are clear on drug trafficking charges just as we have seen with Hope Sykes. The minimum mandatory sentence is 15 years. Mandatory is just as it implies. The only way she would have been able to pull a lesser sentence would have been for her to have pled her way down to lesser charges.

Wowza. I imagine Misty must be sweating bullets about now.

I believe Florida is an 85% of your time minimum state. She will get credit for time served, and if she is a perfect prisoner she can earn up to but not exceeding 15% of the sentence as early release.

Not for drug trafficking. In Florida, it's the full sentence, nothing less.

With all we have been through this week, then no action, I have been discouraged. Now, it seems people are starting to have to answer for their deeds and it has renewed my faith that the court takes this seriously. I hope all of the druggies pay as stiff a fine and that's before the homicide is tried.

And I can't help but be overjoyed at the FEAR the others must be feeling, I know I shouldn't, but I do.

Holy Cow ! They stuck it to her ! 15 years wow oh wow. Wake up CALL Anyone ? Ron ? Misty ? Tommy ? They are not messing around !

I am so glad they played that tape for the Judge, she was just hateful and spoiled brat on that recording with no remorse ... She thinks she's bad now I bet 15 years should mellow her out !!

Just WOW !!!

Wowza. I imagine Misty must be sweating bullets about now.

I sincerely doubt that. I'm guessing it has only reinforced her will to not take a plea deal. She's facing many more charges and a lot more time.

Can someone help me out here? Hope pled no contest but still got this sentence? What was the point in the no contest plea? Could she have gotten more time?

ETA: Why would someone plead no contest without some agreement in what the sentence will be?

Can someone help me out here? Hope pled no contest but still got this sentence? What was the point in the no contest plea? Could she have gotten more time?

She could have gotten 30 years.

Wow, the courts are not messing around. Is she Ronald's cousin? Why
do you think he was there? As a character witness? That doesn't make much sense as he is in for drug charges. Was he to testify against her?
So confused:waitasec: Wasn't a family tree posted a long time ago of who is who? Please direct me as I am losing track of the players:blushing:

He was there to testify on her behalf and to have her sentencing placed on him, so he told her. Like that would ever happen. RC a character witness. :crazy: Obviously these people have gotten away with a LOT in their sort lifetimes.

Haven't read the thread yet, but WOW, 250 thousand and 15 years. Her life is ruined, she will spend what were to be the best years of her life in prison.

If this doesn't get the others shaking in their boots, I don't know what will!

K going to read the thread now...

What I would like to hear is any tapes of Ron, Misty and Tommy talking to family after today's sentencing. We can only hope that this will make them realize this is not a game anymore.

I think the courts in FL have realized if you sell these kind of drugs there is not much difference in being a murderer. It is a plague right now with people dying everyday from them.

FL leads the nation in prescription drug misuse
• In 2008 the top 35 distributors of pain relievers were in Florida – millions of pills a month
• The United States, specifically Florida, was identified a the “source country” for the prescription pain reliever problem in Caribbean nations

http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs...PrevSysMtg/Keynote Address Talking Points.pdf

Florida doesn't play when it comes to prescription drugs.

Thanks for the updates....My mouth drop....shocked.

I didn't really think she would get that much time. But it does seem like the court has gave her passes before.

I lost counts how many time this girl was in booking.

I guess she not talking about Haleigh.....because that no plea deal.. if it is not a good one.

BBM-Whoa.

Well I hope that she isn't talking about Haleigh only because she doesn't know anything.
And well if she knows soomething she deserves more time. IMO

Played a phone conversation showing lack of remorse .... holy cow, guess Misty and Tommy and Ron can all forget about their dreams of 3 years, or boot camp or whatever.

Bet this will stir up the hornets nest a bit for sure.

Thanks for the links - you too SWAG !!!

If this doesn't get some lips loosened, I don't know what will. :waitasec:

ETA: Why would someone plead no contest without some agreement in what the sentence will be?

Yes, I think it showed the max could have been up to 30 yrs.

I feel "a little bit sorry" for her, just that it's a waste of a young life. However, I'm not feeling quite as sorry as some of you, y'all have a much kinder heart than me, I guess. This wasn't her first rodeo, and 2 weeks later she's still hooking up in a mess. If anyone of the players or other family members start straightening up their lives in the future because of this harsh sentence, then it will all have been worth it. IMO, they've all been playing punk games long enough. I feel sorry for the younger kids being surrounded and raised by these dysfunctional families. Good Lord, teach some manners, respect, go to school, etc.

This is Florida's way of dealing with the drug trafficking happening in this state. They take pity on no one any longer with these types of charges. Had Hope never been arrested for any drug related charges prior, she could have likely chosen a plea deal IF that was offered. They may not have offered her a plea deal. Hope pretty well sealed her own fate by having this happen just after she was released for drugs. That pushed her away from being a youthful offender hence allowing her a much lighter sentence. The way I understand it, she will serve all 15 years of her sentence. Mandatory sentences are that - mandatory. Actually considering the charges against her, she probably better be glad that the judge sentenced her to the minimum mandatory. He had a lot of leeway to go longer than that.

I personally am so happy to see the state of Florida taking this seriously!!!!
DON'T DO THE CRIME UNLESS YOU WANNA DO THE TIME!!
Also hoping Misty is aware of Hope's sentencing!

I think the courts in FL have realized if you sell these kind of drugs there is not much difference in being a murderer. It is a plague right now with people dying everyday from them.

I listened to a radio show over the weekend with guests who are in narcotics LE, and the guy from Florida said the situation there is out of control. He named several things, including location giving it free coastline access, the military bases, a gateway to the country..... This is why the laws are tougher, the sentences harsh, and NO shortening of sentences for trafficking. There's a big problem with the military because the people get prescriptions, get them filled at the VA which gives them the scripts back, so they can take it to a regular pharmacy to be filled again, then sell the pills.

I watched MC & RC's drug bust tapes last night and wasn't surprised to hear RC telling the undercover how his "friend" will be going to the VA, so RC would have more pills soon. RC is not a freshman in drug trafficking. He's just got caught this time.

Looks like reality sunk in. Kinda sad in a way, just 18 years old. More collateral damage...where does it end I wonder.

Thanks for the link.

Yes, Misty is the same age. I hope this makes her tell the entire true story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinny
Back