Hope Sykes arrested 1/20/2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:waitasec: Sounds as if Hope's attorney is not happy with yesterdays ruling as well. I wonder if she will file an appeal? Misty's attorney also spoke out, I wonder if he got word to Misty yet on how many years Hope got and will that finally make Misty come clean? I still wonder if Hope sentence is part of LE's plan to try and crack Misty. I know it's up to the Judge and the laws to what type of sentence she gets, Judge LaRue is the one that sentenced her to 15 yrs not LE. IMO that is a long time for someone so young with no violence criminal record. Yes, she should be punished for her crimes and do time, but IMO I feel they should of put her in a drug program and given some prison time. How is she going to rehabilitate sitting in prison taking up a cell that could house a Sex Offender or Murderer? She will have more access to drugs in prison. It happens often, maybe that is why she made the remark she rather serve 15yrs in prison, rather than do the drug programs. Obviously she is an addict and needs helps. I don't think 15yrs in prison will break her of her habits, if anything it will turn her into an angry revengeful person. She will most likely come out worse being around real hard core criminals.
They give shorter sentences to the hard core criminals and it makes no sense to me. I am not defending her, just saying she just took up a cell that could house a violent criminal that will be put back out in the streets to hurt a child/someone in the community in the future.

Drug sentencing is a joke- molesters do less time.

Hope gets 15 yrs and Tommy's attorney feels he will only get around 3 yrs. I don't understand why Tommy would get fewer years since it is said there is no plea deal going on. I do understand that maybe he has shared information regarding the Haleigh investigation and that could be the reason why he would only receive 3 yrs though. Still very very confused...

I went back to compare Tommy's record with Hope's and here is what I got. Looks like they both have few priors, much less than Ronald Cummings that's for sure.
Tommy's lawyer is basing his optimism on the amount of drugs involved in the arrests. Tommy was charged with more than 4 grams but less than 14 grams. Mandatory minimum is 3 years. Hope was charged with more than 14 grams but less than 28 grams. Mandatory minimum is 15 years.

Florida Drug Trafficking Statutes 893.135(3)
(c)1. Any person who knowingly sells, purchases, manufactures, delivers, or brings into this state, or who is knowingly in actual or constructive possession of, 4 grams or more of any morphine, opium, oxycodone, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, or any salt, derivative, isomer, or salt of an isomer thereof, including heroin, as described in s. 893.03(1)(b), (2)(a), (3)(c)3., or (3)(c)4., or 4 grams or more of any mixture containing any such substance, but less than 30 kilograms of such substance or mixture, commits a felony of the first degree, which felony shall be known as "trafficking in illegal drugs," punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. If the quantity involved:
a. Is 4 grams or more, but less than 14 grams, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 3 years, and the defendant shall be ordered to pay a fine of $50,000.
b. Is 14 grams or more, but less than 28 grams, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 15 years, and the defendant shall be ordered to pay a fine of $100,000.
c. Is 28 grams or more, but less than 30 kilograms, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 25 calendar years and pay a fine of $500,000.

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/in...arch_String=trafficking&URL=Ch0893/Sec135.HTM

Chris Kelly, a spokesman for the 7th Circuit State Attorney's Office, said prosecutors had no comment on Sykes' sentence because of the pending cases against the others.

Kelly added he is not aware of any negotiations on plea agreements for the other defendants.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20100428/ARTICLES/4281004/1402/NEWS?p=2&tc=pg

BBM.

I don't see any other option but a plea for the others, they can't refute the tape. They surely can't say they weren't there and didn't do it. The only thing, I can see, the defense atty trying to argue is entrapment. I don't think any such argument will work, as these are not people that were coerced to engage in drug activity. Ron had a network of prescription suppliers in the area which proves this didn't start when the UC arrived. That with their history of drug use will sink any entrapment claims by the defense, IMO.

Why isn't there any tape, news video of the court proceeding yesterday...if anyone knows. NG had some coverage, so someone had a camera in the court room. This is so frustrating. All over Florida we see other court proceedings, but nothing in this case.

BB by me. I was wondering the same thing. Could be the Judge didn't allow a video? I don't know.
One this I do know is that Misty does not qualify for the youthful offender program. The program go by points and Misty's charges (points) go way off the chart for eligibility for that program. I think there is one program she may qualify for.. TELL THE TRUTH AND PASS A LIE DETECTOR ON HER STATEMENT OF WHAT HAPPENED.

I know there hasn't been video released of Tommy's drug deal, but do we know any details on it, like did he buy or sell ? It's strange that they haven't released the video.

BB by me. I was wondering the same thing. Could be the Judge didn't allow a video? I don't know.
One this I do know is that Misty does not qualify for the youthful offender program. The program go by points and Misty's charges (points) go way off the chart for eligibility for that program. I think there is one program she may qualify for.. TELL THE TRUTH AND PASS A LIE DETECTOR ON HER STATEMENT OF WHAT HAPPENED.
BBM.

I don't think Misty wants that program, but Tommy might be game.

I know there hasn't been video released of Tommy's drug deal, but do we know any details on it, like did he buy or sell ? It's strange that they haven't released the video.
I included a link to a news article which contains the first six drug arrest incident reports in PDF format. Read Report 1 for details about the transaction for which Tommy was arrested.

Tommy's lawyer is basing his optimism on the amount of drugs involved in the arrests. Tommy was charged with more than 4 grams but less than 14 grams. Mandatory minimum is 3 years. Hope was charged with more than 14 grams but less than 28 grams. Mandatory minimum is 15 years.

Florida Drug Trafficking Statutes 893.135(3)
(c)1. Any person who knowingly sells, purchases, manufactures, delivers, or brings into this state, or who is knowingly in actual or constructive possession of, 4 grams or more of any morphine, opium, oxycodone, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, or any salt, derivative, isomer, or salt of an isomer thereof, including heroin, as described in s. 893.03(1)(b), (2)(a), (3)(c)3., or (3)(c)4., or 4 grams or more of any mixture containing any such substance, but less than 30 kilograms of such substance or mixture, commits a felony of the first degree, which felony shall be known as "trafficking in illegal drugs," punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. If the quantity involved:
a. Is 4 grams or more, but less than 14 grams, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 3 years, and the defendant shall be ordered to pay a fine of $50,000.
b. Is 14 grams or more, but less than 28 grams, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 15 years, and the defendant shall be ordered to pay a fine of $100,000.
c. Is 28 grams or more, but less than 30 kilograms, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 25 calendar years and pay a fine of $500,000.

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/in...arch_String=trafficking&URL=Ch0893/Sec135.HTM

Thank you! I am now understanding it a bit clearer. I think...LOL.
So, everyone that has been charged in FL with more than 14 grams but less than 28 grams. Will Get a Mandatory minimum is 15 years?

Tommy has other charges he is going to have to face also. I think he is too old for the youthful offender program. Not sure.
Yeah, I don't think he'll get the YO program, but they might cut him a deal if he comes clean.

I included a link to a news article which contains the first six drug arrest incident reports in PDF format. Read Report 1 for details about the transaction for which Tommy was arrested.
Thanks Bessie, I missed that.

I see what you mean. But, the undercover deals are the ones we know about because this cast of characters were arrested and charged. There are videos.
What about the possibilites of drug deals with other people who were not undercover. Deals, done in secret, that we will probably never know about.
The $255 is only the deal we have proof they did. I bet there were more.

If there were more charges, wouldn't those charges have to be disclosed in court? If not, Hope got a bad rap. Don't get me wrong, she is a criminal, and I want criminals off the street.......... but that many years for 25 pills is terrible imo.

Juvenile records are usually sealed after the person turns 18 and can't be used against an adult.

I know they take into consideration if the person has been into trouble with the law before when sentencing. I wonder if Brook had been into trouble before? If I were Misty, and Ron I would be scared to death!

Maybe that's what LE is counting on.
ROn and Misty being scared and talking....could be a possibility right?

Do I understand correctly that Ron's cousin got fifteen years for selling 25 pills?

Thank you! I am now understanding it a bit clearer. I think...LOL.
So, everyone that has been charged in FL with more than 14 grams but less than 28 grams. Will Get a Mandatory minimum is 15 years?
Well...the law is never that exact. lol There are always exceptions and mitigating circumstances which the judge can use to amend sentencing. Mandatory minimum sentencing is pretty tough to skirt, though. Providing "substantial assistance" is one of the few options afforded a defendant facing a mandatory minimum sentence.

Florida statute section 893.135(4) provides that "[t]he state attorney may move the sentencing court to reduce or suspend the sentence of any person who is convicted of a violation of this section and who provides substantial assistance in the identification, arrest, or conviction of any of that person's accomplices, accessories, coconspirators, or principals or of any other person engaged in trafficking in controlled substances. . . . The judge hearing the motion may reduce or suspend the sentence if the judge finds that the defendant rendered such substantial assistance."

continued at the link: http://www.justiceflorida.com/articles/sentencing-1/

Typically, when one gets busted for a crime, it is NOT the first time they did it ... when a person has drug-related arrests (such as Hope does), along with a trafficing charge, it is pretty safe to say, we have a pattern here. Add to it weapon charge! A drug addict with a loaded gun is a terrible thought (handgun, rifle does not matter to me-both are deadly). Drugs mess with people's way of handling situations and their whole thought process becomes out of whack. One begins to wonder what all she is capable of doing, not only to herself, but to others. Hope has no respect for her mother and Momma could easily have become a victim at the hands of Hope, I hope she realizes it! A drug addict is a loose cannon and so very unpredictable. I thank the judge for removing her from society!

From the Florida Department of Corrections:

In Fiscal Year 2008-09, it cost $18,980 a year or $52.00 a day to feed, clothe, house, educate and provide medical services for an inmate at any state facility

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/faq.html

Hope Sykes will cost me and the other taxpayers here in Florida, $284,700.00 over the next 15 years for the less than $4,000 worth of pills she and her co defendants sold.

Well...the law is never that exact. lol There are always exceptions and mitigating circumstances which the judge can use to amend sentencing. Mandatory minimum sentencing is pretty tough to skirt, though. Providing "substantial assistance" is one of the few options afforded a defendant facing a mandatory minimum sentence.

Florida statute section 893.135(4) provides that "[t]he state attorney may move the sentencing court to reduce or suspend the sentence of any person who is convicted of a violation of this section and who provides substantial assistance in the identification, arrest, or conviction of any of that person's accomplices, accessories, coconspirators, or principals or of any other person engaged in trafficking in controlled substances. . . . The judge hearing the motion may reduce or suspend the sentence if the judge finds that the defendant rendered such substantial assistance."

continued at the link: http://www.justiceflorida.com/articles/sentencing-1/
So, I guess Hope didn't offer any assistance to LE, in the Haleigh investigation or with Ron's drug suppliers (well, LE probably knows who they are since they gave them the rides). Either she doesn't know anything or she played hard ball. I wonder what she's thinking now. I also wonder how her mom feels about Ron now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ouisie
Back