How old is too old for trick-or-treating?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I used to love to dress up for Halloween (still do.) We went trick or treating in the neighborhood until about 15 or 16 years old. I don't have a problem with any kids coming by of any age (or height.) Halloween is fun.

I did have some kids dress up as gang members? one year. I still gave them candy, but I told them their costumes weren't good. At least I think they were trick or treaters. lol

Seriously, I don't care. As long as they are polite, and not causing trouble, they get candy from me.

I appreciate that the older ones are at least walking around collecting candy instead of stealing it from the younger ones. I have had them dressed and not, gave candy to all. My husband used to bartend on saturdays and adults would come in with shot glasses and say trick or treat, he had fun with that.

I think trick or treating depends on where you live. If you live in a safe suburban area where most people know each other, it's fine for anyone to celebrate Halloween. However, some areas can be tricky (pun intended), and some kids w/o evening parental supervision might not necessarily be out for just candy.

As to an age, our community doesn't encourage kids over elementary school age to trick or treat. There used to be hours and guidelines posted, but it appears the city now stays out of this.

I think us adults should be allowed to dress up and trick or treat, why should the kids have all the fun? lol!

Maybe that town should go to daylight trick or treating hours and it might help?
I have an elderly neighbor who doesn't hand out candy and that's her choice. I give to adults, older teens and younger kids equally.

I would go in a heartbeat at 55 if it was not dark out, being afraid I would step off a curb or step and break something. lol

My son had friends who were 5'10 and they were only 12. So it makes it hard to tell by height, but as long as you don't feel like a fool I guess any age is o.k. After 14 or 15 I think that a party would be the best thing for the older ones.

I'm all for kids trick-or-treating through high school and even college if they want. Who am I to begrudge them free candy? Our county usually trick-or-treats the Thursday before the 31st so we were out last night, and the teenagers who were out were generally very courteous and let my young sons go first at each house.

As long as they're being responsible, I think it's great because they can even keep an eye out for the younger kids.

We have been having several home invasions lately. Hubby will be at a party that night so I will be dark and for sure not answering the door. I hate that such a fun holiday has been ruined for so many. I remember the days of candy apples and popcorn balls. You were eating them before you got off the porch. Boy those were great times.

our small rural town of 1100 has a halloween costume gathering in the park for all the kids. Everyone gets together and shows off their costumes, and each child is introduced with their parents on stage. They then set out for tick or treating door to door. Some folks here still do bonfires, weenie roasts, candy apples, and hot cider for their guests. I hope that never changes. One family sets up an elaborate haunted house and everyone goes in for a scare. Its a wonderful night to get together with friends and let the kids have a ball. Moms and Dads walk with the little ones, but usually the older kids are turned loose. We have never had an incident that would ruin the community fun. I dress up with the kids, and Im a very grown woman...I dont however collect candy for myself. There is an adult costume contest as well, so everyone is in great halloween spirit. Its a very nice place to live here.

our small rural town of 1100 has a halloween costume gathering in the park for all the kids. Everyone gets together and shows off their costumes, and each child is introduced with their parents on stage. They then set out for tick or treating door to door. Some folks here still do bonfires, weenie roasts, candy apples, and hot cider for their guests. I hope that never changes. One family sets up an elaborate haunted house and everyone goes in for a scare. Its a wonderful night to get together with friends and let the kids have a ball. Moms and Dads walk with the little ones, but usually the older kids are turned loose. We have never had an incident that would ruin the community fun. I dress up with the kids, and Im a very grown woman...I dont however collect candy for myself. There is an adult costume contest as well, so everyone is in great halloween spirit. Its a very nice place to live here.

Thats the spirit, there are many days I wish for that type of community living. I envy it, enjoy your day.

I was never able to have children so I just loved all the children coming to the door as ghosties, goblins, a princess and a super hero. It was so much fun seeing them check out what was in the bowl and what made it into the bag. I always kept dog bones for the furry kids that managed to make it out with the family dressed up or not. They were all just precious. Now it is an 18 year old with a Freddie of Jason mask and it scares me to death to even open the door anymore. The kids around here all go to a harvest festival at the schools.

For the love of GOD! Let kids be kids!! Why do we have put restrictions on everything these days?? Life is hard enough without taking away the fun.

As long as they're dressed up and with good intentions, have at it. If you're too scared to open the door - DON'T! Duh.

I don't care if teens come to my door as long as it's at a reasonable hour. Those that try to come to the door after 9pm face a closed door... I won't open it.

I'd do it myself and, quite honestly, would have absolutely no shame in doing so. And, I don't even like candy so much. *And*, I'm 52 years old. People need to lighten up.

I give the rest of the candy to the first teenager who comes to the door after 9:30 -- to keep myself from eating all of it. If I could get away with it, I'd trick or treat with you, OL!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back