How will Jaycee heal?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow - this case has affected me like no other. I cry half the time I read about anything to do with Jaycee and her girls. My stomach is in knots over it. I want to scream about what she and her girls have endured and then cry for joy that they are now home where they belong. As alot more of what happened to them becomes public, I don't know if I'm going to be able to handle it.....

My only concern now is that they heal. It's going to take alot of love and alot of therapy to get Jaycee and her girls through all of this. And most of all, it's going to take time. My thought, prayers, and heart go out to all of them.

I wish I could just give them all a big hug and tell them everything is going to be okay.....:blowkiss:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-KfGX_UVd4"]YouTube - Prime News 8/31/09 Jaycee Dugard Part 1[/ame]

I heard he talked about her case....BIG DIFFERENCE.

You are right. There is no way I'd let anyone I love go on Dr. Phil. No offense to his fans, but he is completely unethical. He is a great entertainer, but not a great therapist.

You are right. There is no way I'd let anyone I love go on Dr. Phil. No offense to his fans, but he is completely unethical. He is a great entertainer, but not a great therapist.
Should I be reading into this? made bold....Are you related in anyway?

But no...not someone like that.... he is very invasive and predatory in nature...
Remember poor Britney?
Poor little Jaycee needs to be left to some of her won inner feelings
until she is ready to share it clearly.
she must be so confused and elated all at the same time right now.

Although I don't think anyone can fully recover from the physical and emotional trauma that Jaycee endured, I do think that her chances are good for adjusting to a normal life.

Eighteen years is a big chunk of Jaycee's life to have spent isolated from family, friends, and the normal life she knew. But she's a survivor. She had to have a strong will to survive and to take care of her two girls under extremely adverse conditions.

According to all accounts, Jaycee and her mom instantly re-bonded and have spent their time together getting to know each other all over again. Jaycee is no longer the 11-year-old who was kidnapped 18 years ago, and their relationship, while it will always be mother and daughter, will be on more of a peer level. Her mother will be Jaycee's strongest advocate, as well as her aunt. They've got plenty of professional help, and have managed to elude the media.

Even without formal education, Jaycee evidently has talent in graphic design. When it's time, she can take the necessary classes to get her GED, which is equivalent to a high school diploma, and then perhaps a school specializing in graphic design.

I'm optimistic that while it will take time, Jaycee has an excellent chance to be successful at putting what happened to her in the past and have a good future.

Although I don't think anyone can fully recover from the physical and emotional trauma that Jaycee endured, I do think that her chances are good for adjusting to a normal life.

Eighteen years is a big chunk of Jaycee's life to have spent isolated from family, friends, and the normal life she knew. But she's a survivor. She had to have a strong will to survive and to take care of her two girls under extremely adverse conditions.

According to all accounts, Jaycee and her mom instantly re-bonded and have spent their time together getting to know each other all over again. Jaycee is no longer the 11-year-old who was kidnapped 18 years ago, and their relationship, while it will always be mother and daughter, will be on more of a peer level. Her mother will be Jaycee's strongest advocate, as well as her aunt. They've got plenty of professional help, and have managed to elude the media.

Even without formal education, Jaycee evidently has talent in graphic design. When it's time, she can take the necessary classes to get her GED, which is equivalent to a high school diploma, and then perhaps a school specializing in graphic design.

I'm optimistic that while it will take time, Jaycee has an excellent chance to be successful at putting what happened to her in the past and have a good future.
Me too it was pretty touching to read that the girls are actually not as blank as we thought, they actually had some exposure to outside, (still very questionable surroundings). And the fact that little Jacee was able to help run a print Company is just a huge smile on my face. :)
I think they will have enough guidance, training and support to move beautifully into a nice life.
I think they will have plenty of money to get as much support as they need, that is a blessing.

I'd think the most healing would need to be over what happened in the first years after the abduction while still a little girl. Jaycee was probably locked up and isolated most of that time and those years until after she gave birth to both girls. Being allowed out at all or to go anywhere probably came about in small increments where she had to prove herself to the abductor. I don't recall any neighbor reports of anyone seeing Jaycee out and about as a child or very young teen. No one yet, not even Dr. Phil really knows what monstrous things or mental abuse that awful man did over the years. It's odd to me that this whole thing is almost being turned into a scenario where the girls had a happy normal non-controlled life. It's bizarre.

I'd think the most healing would need to be over what happened in the first years after the abduction while still a little girl. Jaycee was probably locked up and isolated most of that time and those years until after she gave birth to both girls. Being allowed out at all or to go anywhere probably came about in small increments where she had to prove herself to the abductor. I don't recall any neighbor reports of anyone seeing Jaycee out and about as a child or very young teen. No one yet, not even Dr. Phil really knows what monstrous things or mental abuse that awful man did over the years. It's odd to me that this whole thing is almost being turned into a scenario where the girls had a happy normal non-controlled life. It's bizarre.

There is no tellin' what horrible things poor Jaycee had to endure. I think everyone here agrees with you on that. My imagination tends to run away with me too. We probably will never know. I haven't seen tho where people are trying to paint a normal life.

I know it will be awhile but i do hope Jaycee and her girls get awarded full scholarships to college or technical school

I dont if the girls will be able to go to regular publice school with the media. maybe they could get awared private school

all three of them deserve everything awarded to them, so many people let them down.

I know it will be awhile but i do hope Jaycee and her girls get awarded full scholarships to college or technical school

I dont if the girls will be able to go to regular publice school with the media. maybe they could get awared private school

all three of them deserve everything awarded to them, so many people let them down.

I would also like to see Jaycee and her girls receive full scholarships and grants. Jaycee's mom and aunt are both teachers and I'm sure they have resources, plus they have a lot of professional guidance in this situation. Hopefully, fully funded private tutoring would be made available to begin with.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_13283001?source%3Dmost_viewed.20F88DA3D7D369F5BB70F372987EAE1F.html

Not sure if this had been posted anywhere yet. The town held a parade to show support for Jaycee and her daughters with hopes that they will be able to see the videos of it to know so many people are behind her now.

VB

That's a wonderful article! It's good to know that so many people turned out for the parade and donated to the fund for Jaycee and the girls. :clap:

This article is from the 2nd, but I hadn't read it before. I remember the "woman in the box" story I think I read it somewhere but the details are horrific! Anyway she offers a lot of insight into what Jaycee might be feeling and thinking and offers advice.

Whenever I hear about a story like Jaycee Lee Dugard’s – kidnapped at age 11 and held captive for 18 years, bearing two children with her kidnapper – I inevitably think of Colleen Stan because if anyone knows what Jaycee went through and is about to go through, it’s Colleen.
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/09/01/crimesider/entry5279162.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

And a 2000 study of 24 kidnap victims from Italy found that 46% suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder and 38% were diagnosed with major depression after their release. More than two-thirds reported "intrusive recollections," maintained a state of hyper-vigilance and said they had a sense of a "foreshortened future." The average length of captivity among these people was only 99 days.

"The picture is not rosy," said psychologist John Lutzker, an expert on child maltreatment who teaches at Georgia State University.

In the first weeks and months after a kidnap victim is freed, he or she is likely to experience anxiety, tension, sleep disturbances, loneliness, headaches and intestinal problems, among other symptoms.

In Europe, kidnap victims are placed in residential treatment centers to give them time to adjust to their changed circumstances, but there are no equivalents in the United States, said Katherine van Wormer of the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, who has studied the behavior of kidnapping victims. Both Kampusch and Fritzl were treated in such facilities.

A key issue for Dugard, now 29, will be how she re-establishes her relationship with her mother, Terry Probyn, who lives in Riverside County.

Mother and daughter should resist the urge to try to pick up their lives where they left off in June 1991, when Dugard was abducted in her South Lake Tahoe neighborhood as she walked to a bus stop. Dugard "needs to be in intensive therapy and slowly come back so that her emotional feelings can be transferred back to her mother," van Wormer said.
Dugard's two daughters, 11 and 15, will certainly affect their mother's recovery. They "are constant traumatic reminders," McCracken said. "At every moment, they would tend to evoke memories, feelings, even flashbacks of the traumatic experience."

But the girls may have helped her cope with captivity, and the relationships she has with them could now make it easier for her to form attachments with others, van Wormer said.

"It's better that she had the children," she said. "She wasn't alone."

In many ways, the task of building a normal life will be harder for the daughters.

If they haven't already learned basic skills like reading and writing, it's not too late for them to do so -- though it will be more difficult because of their deprivation. And though they will need intensive therapy, they have one advantage of youth: adaptability.

But unlike Dugard, who according to her stepfather recalls a lot about her life before the kidnapping, they don't have any memory of a well-adjusted childhood to draw on.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...ed-treatment30-2009aug30,0,4689453,full.story

I was reading the National Enquirer yesterday and there is a large article on this case.
I think after the next paper comes out we can see the entire article on Internet that is in print this week.

Seems that Jaycee had been taken back to the compound in the night so that there would be no paparazzi, neighbors etc.
In part to start her healing, also to give an account of what happened and where it happened, where she gave birth, and all the details of her horrible 18 years in captivity.
The article said that Jaynee cried a lot in remembering and sharing this information. But the therapist was right there too.
They also asked her to write a letter that she did not have to mail to PG just to let him know what she is thinking and feeling. As a healing letter for her self....They said she is both very angry at him, and that she also still loves him.
She is beginning to express more of her feeling now.
they said that at first she was just so happy to see her family again and have a hot shower, clean sheets, warm food...But she is becoming more and more aware every day that how she was living is far from Normal, and has therapists and support to deal with all the feeling that are beginning to surface.

God Bless those 3 young ladies, their Journey is just beginning.

I also placed a post in the Nancy thread about her.
and another in the Photo thread too.
all from the same issue.

How will she ever feel "safe?" All of her boundaries were violated and yet he probably told her he was protecting her from the outside world. Then, as the kidnap victim Olga Kampusch was saying in the article that (someone on here was so kind to post) she adapted to her confinement and felt secure, but now felt vulnerable in larger society.

I grew up in a fairly isolated family where there was abuse. When I was a teenager I wanted to run away because I thought that other people would be "normal" and I would live a great life. I was made very vulnerable to outside influences because of this and was victimized due to my naivete.

So, what's the answer?

This is all so very complex. I'm sorry if this is confusing--it is to me as well.

This is just a side note. Other people have mentioned the case of Steven Staynor (which is difficult to forget), who was kidnapped and did seem to heal from the ordeal he went through and have a family, then was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident.

Now here's something really messed up that not everyone knows: Steven's brother (who was not kidnapped) Cary Staynor, went on to become a serial murderer. He claimed that after Steven came home, he was largely ignored and all of the attention and care went to Steven and that enraged him and fueled his homicidal tendencies. Weird, huh?

Jaycee Lee Dugard's aunt details how family is rebuilding
September 7th, 2009

THE daughters of kidnapped sex slave Jaycee Lee Dugard are educated and well-versed on the internet, Jaycee's aunt has revealed.

In an emotional interview, Tina Dugard said the family still burst into tears of joy over the surreal realisation Jaycee had been found after 18 years.

Ms Dugard, 42, spent five days with Jaycee and her mother Terry Probyn after their dramatic reunion.

She said: 'We are all so overjoyed. My sister has spontaneous moments of joy. We'll be talking, and she'll just suddenly burst into happy tears, with a big smile on her face."

Jaycee's aunt has also described the tender moments the mother and daughter have spent together for the first time in nearly two decades.

The sight of Terry combing and braiding Jaycee's hair – something she last did when her daughter was just 11 – reduced Ms Dugard to tears.

Ms Dugard also shed light on Jaycee's two daughters, saying the girls – aged 11 and 15 – are bright and educated, despite never having been to school.

In an exclusive interview with The Orange County Register, Ms Dugard, who would not confirm whether the girls are called Starlet and Angel, said: "It's clear they've been on the internet and know a lot of things."

And remarkably Ms Dugard – herself a teacher – said her niece, who hasn't been to school since she was 11, educated her daughters.

"It's clear that Jaycee did a great job with the limited resources she had and her limited education," she said.

Ms Dugard said she was not sure how her niece was able to teach her daughters how to read and write.

But she said that during her five-day visit she was staring up at the sky on a starry night with one of Jaycee's daughters, who then pointed out the names of constellations.

Seeing a plant, the other daughter said: "That's a nasturtium. It's edible.

"Do you want to eat it?"

Ms Dugard said Jaycee remembered who she was the moment they met, flinging her arms around her saying: "Auntie Tina".

"I looked at her and I knew right away," she said.

"She absolutely knew who I was. She remembered me right away. It was one of the happiest moments of my life.

"I went forward and cried and hugged her and held her as tight as I possibly could. It was surreal, and it was fabulous."

The family has not pressed Jaycee and her daughters to discuss life in the cluttered backyard collection of tents and shacks.

Ms Dugard wouldn't say whether the two girls, as some media outlets have reported, had believed Jaycee was their older sister.

"Right now it's all about strengthening those bonds that really didn't weaken, but needed to be brought back together," she said.

"Jaycee does seem like a 29-year-old woman. She's fabulous, and she's beautiful."

http://www.ethiopianreview.com/articles/29230

It made me cry again....But they seem to be putting one foot infront of the other beautifully. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawlessinvestigates
Back