Huckaby's Family Speaks

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Huckaby family has now given a new picture of Melissa to the media to show on tv. I couldn't find a link to the picture, but they showed it on KRON-TV this a.m.

I interpret this as being the family's attempt to show people that Melissa isn't really the monster she appears to be in her mug shot. Trying to see it from their point of view, I guess I can understand, at least right now when they are still in shock and denial.

Yesterday, Easter morning, I don't think the Huckabys (or Lawlesses) knew for sure that the church was where Sandra was killed. I don't think that info had come out yet, but they must have known it was the site of so many searches. That in itself would have made me too squeamish and upset to go into the church.

For me personally, it does not bother me that the church building was used for services being the scene of the crime, but the fact that a member of the pastor's family and a Sunday School teacher is the accused.

Here in Texas we had a church that a man entered and shot and killed several people. The church was not closed and in fact had the funerals of the slain there. But, the perp was a stranger not a member. So for me this is the difference. IMO

The Huckaby family has now given a new picture of Melissa to the media to show on tv. I couldn't find a link to the picture, but they showed it on KRON-TV this a.m.

I interpret this as being the family's attempt to show people that Melissa isn't really the monster she appears to be in her mug shot. Trying to see it from their point of view, I guess I can understand, at least right now when they are still in shock and denial.

Yesterday, Easter morning, I don't think the Huckabys (or Lawlesses) knew for sure that the church was where Sandra was killed. I don't think that info had come out yet, but they must have known it was the site of so many searches. That in itself would have made me too squeamish and upset to go into the church.

Thank you for an informative post Columbo. I will not search for this picture as I do not care to see it. I will say again that I feel it is very inappropriate for this family to be speaking out at this time trying to do damage control for their family member and their church. I feel it is disrespectful to Sandra and the entire Cantu family. This beautiful vibrant child was stuffed in a suitcase and dumped in a pond, Sandra will never graduate, fall in love, walk down the aisle to marry, feel labor pains, hold the hand of her firstborn....that is the real tragedy. If the Huckaby family had any feeling for the sorrow of the Cantu family whatsoever they would have refrained from commenting at this time. Of course I will say these are my opinions.

From what I have seen of the story, I seem to recall when they were focusing on Pastor Lawless, someone from the church had said, attend our church, and you will see Pastor Lawless is a wonderful man,yet, an interview was made with one of the neighbors. The neighbor said that they had once attempted to attend church there, and were not made to feel very welcome,and made to feel very uncomfortable! Lawless lives in the same mobile home park as these people and Sandra Cantu's family, yet he speaks to none of his neighbors. Shouldn't a pastor be extending a friendly hand ?So, what's the deal ? If this is all true, no wonder the church has such a small congregation. With such a small group, how can they even afford to keep the church open ?

I live in a community that is hard to get to know. Everyone grew up here and they don't like outsiders.(it is getting a little better) Even in the churches, it's hard to get to know people. I think they just do not know how to make people feel welcome.

For me personally, it does not bother me that the church building was used for services being the scene of the crime, but the fact that a member of the pastor's family and a Sunday School teacher is the accused.

Here in Texas we had a church that a man entered and shot and killed several people. The church was not closed and in fact had the funerals of the slain there. But, the perp was a stranger not a member. So for me this is the difference. IMO

It would be interesting to know how other churches, like BTK's, have reacted when put in these situations....how does one decide the protocol?

Thank you for an informative post Columbo. I will not search for this picture as I do not care to see it. I will say again that I feel it is very inappropriate for this family to be speaking out at this time trying to do damage control for their family member and their church. I feel it is disrespectful to Sandra and the entire Cantu family. This beautiful vibrant child was stuffed in a suitcase and dumped in a pond, Sandra will never graduate, fall in love, walk down the aisle to marry, feel labor pains, hold the hand of her firstborn....that is the real tragedy. If the Huckaby family had any feeling for the sorrow of the Cantu family whatsoever they would have refrained from commenting at this time. Of course I will say these are my opinions.

I am not taking up for MH, but we should remember that she has only been arrested not tried and convicted. If she is guilty her family has never seen this side of her nor suspected her of doing anything like this. They are only expressing their shock and if it were my son or daughter I would do the same. They don't want her convicted in the media before they can show the side of her they know. IMO

It would be interesting to know how other churches, like BTK's, have reacted when put in these situations....how does one decide the protocol?

I don't know the protocol, but I think like most things it would be determined by the congregation. And maybe this family is the congregation. It would be interesting to know who all and how many attended the services. And does anyone know if Sandra attended this church. For some reason I think she did.

I understand what you are saying but if they said nothing then people would be saying they should have said something. In my opinion, that family is between a rock and a hard place.

The Today Show video and pic is at the below link:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30189234/
Thanks, Suzi. This is probably the Melissa they saw and remember instead of the mug shot photo. It is like looking at two different people, but we have seen this all too often. The real monster comes out in when they are confronted with their crimes. The Xmas photo hides the secrets of what may be playing out right in front of their eyes.

I don't know the protocol, but I think like most things it would be determined by the congregation. And maybe this family is the congregation. It would be interesting to know who all and how many attended the services. And does anyone know if Sandra attended this church. For some reason I think she did.

Ther have been conflicting reports and speculation about whether Sandra attended church activities there with MH and her daughter. Sorry I can't give a definate answer. When I was a kid I'd take friends to GA's with me even tho they didn't attend my church so it would make sense for Sandra to attend activities with her lil friend and MH.

The family has stated that no, they do not attend this church.

Ther have been conflicting reports and speculation about whether Sandra attended church activities there with MH and her daughter. Sorry I can't give a definate answer. When I was a kid I'd take friends to GA's with me even tho they didn't attend my church so it would make sense for Sandra to attend activities with her lil friend and MH.

Even if she didn't attend that Sunday School didn't she go to the home to play with MH's daughter? And wasn't it reported she did it quite often? I might be mistaken, but I think I heard that.

(Bolded by me) It is exactly what Pastor Lawless said they had spent the past day or so asking themselves in private conversations. It was at the end of the short CBS video for those who need a link...it is located on the media thread. ;)

thanks. and bold is mine.

Being a native Kansan who spent time in Wichita during BTK's bloody reign AND a Lutheran, I followed that case's denouement closely!

Those articles were an uplifting testimate of faith during a horrific time for the congregation. I don't know if there is a wrong or right answer when faced with such a decision. We are not to judge, that is God's job.

murderer.jpg

Good point! The fact that it's a member of the pastor's family makes all the difference.

Even if she didn't attend that Sunday School didn't she go to the home to play with MH's daughter? And wasn't it reported she did it quite often? I might be mistaken, but I think I heard that.

Yes, according to reports, MH's daughter was Sandra's best friend.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back