Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NC Governor Roy Cooper is have a presser now. He reported the first NC storm death. An 87-year-old man in Columbus county fell off a ladder while preparing his home for Dorian.

It's currently on the breaking news banner at WRAL:

Wake County under tropical storm warning; Hurricane Dorian to move up NC coast as Category 2 storm :: WRAL.com

Oh no. This is the time when neighbors must help neighbors especially the elderly.

My prayers are with his family. So sad.

I'm in NC, 3 hours inland and have been watching the forecast models/updates, though I just found out about this thread yesterday. My husband and I were planning to go to the beach this weekend - my grandparents have 2 beach houses (one on one of the NC islands and one just inland of the NC Intracoastal Waterway).

A cliche saying, for sure, but my thoughts and prayers are with the family of the man in Columbus County, NC and all in Abaco/Grand Bahama.

On a side note, I've also been following the case of the missing firefighters/boaters, Justin Walker & Brian McCluney (their WS thread can be found here), and was checking the buoy cameras this morning. The attached screen shot was taken from Station 41009 - Canaveral 20 NM East of Cape Canaveral Camera.

This storm, though intensity has decreased, still looks quite scary.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 11.00.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 11.00.29 AM.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 19
Sigh. After we got some good news about our loved ones who live in Florida we now have to worry just as much about our youngest daughter, son in law, and 2 little granddaughters.

They live in Mt.Pleasant right outside of Charleston. Their home is very close to the ocean.

They have decided not to evacuate this time. They have already boarded up all of their windows, and moved all outside furniture into their garage.

When they built their home they had an axillary generator installed into the power system. This type of generators allows both 110, and 220 AMP have full power. So they will be able to not only have electricity for the home, but the air conditioning will function as normal.

She had just called us a little over two weeks ago to tell us their home had sustained a lightning strike during a storm. It fried the motherboard to their tankless water heater, and they have a control panel that operates all the needed functions of the home. The motherboard went out on that too.

So they just got all of that replaced last week. This time they are turning the smart feature control panel off incase the hurriane has a lot of lightning strikes along with it.

As a trivia tidbit. I was watching Fox yesterday and they had one of the pilots on who has flown inside the eye of hurricanes for 19 years, and flown missions over the devastated aftermath.

He said one the most memorable was hurricane Michael in October 2018.
He said it's highly unusual to see hurricanes remain a CAT 1 as far as 175 miles inland.

I never thought of that before, but we live inland over 175 miles away from the Mexico Beach/PCB area where Michael came in. Yet we were hit when it was still a CAT1.

Even here there were areas without power for 2 month, and there are still homes with roofs which are still not repaired due to so many having to be repaired or the homes completely torn down.

I'm still praying for all who may be affected.

It's the flood waters that worries me because we still see so many lives lost when they did not heed all the warnings not to go into any flood water with a vehicle.

Jmho
That struck me too about Michael. Who would ever think Cat 1 200ish miles inland?!! Makes you wonder where to go!? With Irma, early predictions included tropical force winds, tornados & lengthy power outages all the way to Atlanta. One of my friends got so exasperated with the storm watch area, she eventually packed her family up & fled St Pete FL for Chicago (family there)! We still joke she holds the distance evac record!

There has been essentially silence from anyone on that island since the storm first starting hitting. I think the infrastructure just isn't there to make any contact with the outside world and I also suspect people are in pure survival mode. I hope we hear from him soon.

The overhead shots of the island show the complete devastation - but still no first-hand reports from "on the ground" from Abaco. From the overhead video, most buildings are destroyed. The ones left standing look damaged. Nothing looks intact, imo. I wasn't sure on the video what was Abaco and what was Grand Bahama - I think the video included both and Grand Bahama was toward the second part of the video?

(I"m multi-tasking at the moment and might have missed something.)

jmo

Looking at the aerial videos, I don't know where people would've gone to survive. Most buildings look like toothpicks, and if still standing, have collapsed/blown off roofs, no windows, and flooding waters. Flying debris, hypothermia, lack of food and clean water, fallen/falling trees, overwhelming flood waters--it definitely would take a miracle to survive this, as happened with Josh, the storm chaser. I dread to hear the final death toll, especially after seeing the recent helicopter footage.

The death toll is going to be devastating in the Bahamas.

It's such a wide swath that looks like a war zone.

Our coast guard has been amazing in their assistance in the Bahamas.

Yet even the CG can only use helicopters, and no fixed wing aircraft because there is no where for them to land.

I'm so proud of my nation's emergency teams during Dorian. Most were already in place, and engaged days before.

God bless all of them who always go the extra mile to not only help disasters that happen here, but reach out to others who are in dire need as well.

I know aide will pour into the Bahamas from around the world. Rightfully so, imo.

What I hope more than anything is the government officials aren't corrupt as we saw in Puerto Rico when millions went into their own pockets instead of the people it was intended to help. :(

Jmho

Cocoa Beach police are asking beachcombers in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian to be cautious about suspicious packages after a duffel bag stuffed with 15 kilos of cocaine washed ashore over the weekend, News 6 partner Florida Today reported.

The find — worth at least $300,000 — came before Dorian's violent stirrings in the Atlantic led to a single brick of cocaine being found along a beach in Melbourne on Tuesday.
Hurricane Dorian: 15 kilos of cocaine wash up on Florida beach

Hurricane Dorian Public Advisory

...EYE OF DORIAN NOW EAST OF JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA...

CORRECTED DIRECTION FROM JACKSONVILLE

SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...30.2N 79.8W
ABOUT 115 MI...185 KM E OF JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA
ABOUT 180 MI...290 KM S OF CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...105 MPH...165 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 340 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...964 MB...28.47 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

None.

New York

New York will likely dodge Hurricane Dorian’s fury — and instead wind up with wind and light rain “like a lower-end nor’easter” on Friday.

The weakening storm will pick up forward speed after it moves past the Carolinas and could bring winds and up to an inch of rain.

There will be the rip tides offshore and on New York beaches, with Long Island also expected to see stronger winds with gusts up to 50 mph.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/04/hurricane-dorian-will-spare-new-york-forecast/

Cocoa Beach police are asking beachcombers in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian to be cautious about suspicious packages after a duffel bag stuffed with 15 kilos of cocaine washed ashore over the weekend, News 6 partner Florida Today reported.

The find — worth at least $300,000 — came before Dorian's violent stirrings in the Atlantic led to a single brick of cocaine being found along a beach in Melbourne on Tuesday.
Hurricane Dorian: 15 kilos of cocaine wash up on Florida beach
The beachcombers are going to find lots of interesting things. Drugs, human bodies, dead animals, boats, debris from homes, shells, etc. Always happens after a major hurricane. The key is not to touch anything. If your DNA is found on those drugs, you’re going to be under a microscope. If you want to go collect driftwood and shells, wear rubber gloves and bleach everything when you get home.

Florida man parks Smart car in kitchen so it won't blow away

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — It started as a light-hearted challenge between a Florida couple, can a Smart car fit into their kitchen? The answer: Yes it can

Patrick Eldridge parked his smart car in his kitchen to protect it from Hurricane Dorian because he didn't want it to "blow away" and to prove that he can park his car there.

Jessica Eldridge said her car was already parked in the garage. To avoid cleaning their garage out, her husband proposed to park it in the house.

"I said there was no way he could. He said he could," Jessica said. "So he opened the double doors and had it in. I was amazed that it could fit. He had it in with no problems."

Florida man parks Smart car in kitchen so it won't blow away

The beachcombers are going to find lots of interesting things. Drugs, human bodies, dead animals, boats, debris from homes, shells, etc. Always happens after a major hurricane. The key is not to touch anything. If your DNA is found on those drugs, you’re going to be under a microscope. If you want to go collect driftwood and shells, wear rubber gloves and bleach everything when you get home.

Very good advice, PayrollNerd! Thank you so much.

The Carolinas have many alligators, fire ants, and poisonous snakes as well.

In any area they are usually in it will bring them out into the streets as the flood waters rise.

All of the water standing will greatly be contaminated quickly with human waste as septic tanks breech or if their waste water treatment plants become inoperable.

It's the aftermath that is the most dangerous time long after the wind subsides.

Many in the Carolinas are already saturated with ground water from heavy rains this spring, and summer.

I pray every one remains safe, and uses their common sense when making any decision that could affect their lives or those they love.

Jmho

A Florida couple had a baby during the hurricane and named it Dorian
From CNN's Lauren Johnson

ac60eef8-ed18-4ef1-9e4b-a075684d8ef6.jpg

Baby Tadashi Dorian Davis was born at AdventHealth DeLand on Sept. 2 at 11:07 a.m. AdventHealth DeLand chief operating officer Samuel Aguero (left) and AdventHealth DeLand CEO Lorenzo Brown (right) visited the family to congratulate them on their new bundle of joy. AdventHealth DeLand

Live updates: Hurricane Dorian threatens the US after devastating the Bahamas - CNN

Dorian creeps up US coast; near-record storm surge feared

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Weakened but still deadly, Hurricane Dorian crept up the Southeastern coast of the United States on Wednesday and millions were ordered to evacuate as forecasters said near-record levels of seawater and rain could inundate the area.

The Category 2 storm, which ravaged the Bahamas with more than a full day of devastating wind and rain, threatened to swamp low-lying regions from Georgia to southeastern Virginia as it moved northward.

Dorian appeared likely to get dangerously near Charleston, which is particularly vulnerable since it is located on a peninsula. A flood chart posted by the National Weather Service projected a combined high tide and storm surge around Charleston Harbor of 10.3 feet (3.1 meters); The record, 12.5 feet (4 meters), was set by Hugo in 1989.

Stores and restaurants were boarded up with wood and corrugated metal in the city’s historic downtown, and about 830,000 people were under mandatory evacuation orders on the South Carolina coast. More than 400 people were in state-operated shelters statewide, and more were expected.

Mark Russell, a homeless U.S. Army veteran, said he had been in a shelter since Monday awaiting slow-moving Dorian.

“Once the rain comes and the wind hits, it’s going to blow left, right, in and out, and there’s not really a place that you can find” to avoid it, said Russell, 63.

In North Carolina, where authorities said an 85-year-old man died after falling from a ladder while getting ready for the storm, Gov. Roy Cooper warned about the threat of storm surge and flash flooding from heavy rains. The Outer Banks were particularly vulnerable.

Georgia’s coastal islands were also at risk, Gov. Brian Kemp said Wednesday.

“We are very worried, especially about the barrier islands getting cut off if we have these storm surges at the same time as … the high tides,” Kemp said.

Read more: Dorian creeps up US coast; near-record storm surge feared

South Carolina boy saving up for Disney World trip donates money to Hurricane Dorian evacuees instead

Jermaine Bell was supposed to spend his seventh birthday at Disney World. He’d saved up money to take his family on a trip to Animal Kingdom in Florida.

Instead, he emptied his piggy bank to buy hundreds of hot dogs and serve them for free to Hurricane Dorian evacuees passing through their South Carolina town.

The 6-year-old opened a hot dog stand along the side of a busy road in Allendale and offered those escaping the coast free franks, water, chips and prayers.

“The people that are traveling to other places, I wanted them to have some food to eat so they can enjoy the ride to the place that they’re gonna stay at,” he told CNN affiliate WJBF.

South Carolina boy saving up for Disney World trip donates money to Hurricane Dorian evacuees instead

The only airport on Grand Bahama is wiped out, severely hampering aid to Hurricane Dorian victims
  • By Holly Yan and Patrick Oppmann, CNN
  • Sep 4, 2019 Updated 7 min ago

The only airport on the island of Grand Bahama has been destroyed by Hurricane Dorian.

"After two days of trying, we're finally able to get into the Freeport airport," CNN's Patrick Oppmann said from the scene Wednesday.

"It's gone. ... The level of devastation is actually breathtaking. There are no walls left at the airport. The ceiling has come crashing."

The airport's annihilation deals a devastating blow for residents who desperately need medical evacuations or emergency aid.

The only airport on Grand Bahama is wiped out, severely hampering aid to Hurricane Dorian victims

'There is nothing left' on island in the Bahamas after Dorian

(CNN) - This is an island so ravaged by Hurricane Dorian, it took three days for any outsider to get there.

Now Man-O-War Cay, once an idyllic haven in the northern Bahamas, is a giant pile of rubble.

"There is nothing left" CNN's Paula Newton said in front of the remnants of a building.

"We're talking about damage (to) 90% to almost 100% of everything that is here."

Man-O-War is part of the Abaco Islands, where at least 20 people were critically injured by the hurricane, Bahamian officials said.

'There is nothing left' on island in the Bahamas after Dorian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member