Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a sailboat owner ourselves, with plans to move from California to Florida's treasure coast, we're watching this closely.
I'm really curious to see what the boat owners are going to do. This whole area is heavily populated by boating communities.
I'm pretty sure I'd be looking for inland waterways North of Miami, right now.
The one good thing is you can move your boat. The bad thing is if you get caught up in something like this, you're likely to lose everything. Boats are no match for hurricanes.

Part of living here..... most boats are insured. We have a little speedboat- so its up and out of the water whenever it's not in use. I am no longer amazed at how big some of the boats are that are pulled out and put in storage before a storm.

Moved from FL to GA 2 yrs ago, so a little more relaxed than I used to be about these spaghetti models. Many friends still in FL though. Anybody see “Crawl” at the movies a month ago? Um- just stay out of the water! And may Dorian just fade out.

Right. I'm really not talking about little boats that can be put on a trailor.
Those are a non-issue to me.
I am talking about people who live on their floating homes.
Which are more then you probably realise.
I am not talking about little play boats.
I am talking about floating homes.
Real life homes. With a kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms and family room.
Homes.
This is probably a new concept to those who live on land.
I currently live 1/2 of my time on my tiny floating home. Boat.
Equipped with everything for about $1,000.00 per month, directly on the water with wildlife and awesome neighbors.
The other 1/2 of my time is in an outrageously priced house that costs $2,800.00 per month (and that's a deal where I live).
No water in sight.
Anyway, back to my original post.
I am worried about the boating communities.
As well as the mobile home communities.
Those of us, mostly retired, trying to find a home we can afford.
Hopefully, Dorian, will be a non event.

Part of living here..... most boats are insured. We have a little speedboat- so its up and out of the water whenever it's not in use. I am no longer amazed at how big some of the boats are that are pulled out and put in storage before a storm.

Kali, The houseboats here are insured- just like if it was a house on land- but by Red Shield. Most sailboats can be taken out of the water- live on and not. People down the river from us live on a sailboat. They have it pulled out and evacuate to a hotel like everyone else. Big market for storage here as well.

Last edited:
No houseboat communities in my gulf area, maybe a few live aboard on a Hatteras type boat at the marinas.

For those in FL - is windstorm insurance required for your residence?

Duke Energy Customers
Text “REG” to 57801 for storm alerts.

Text “OUT” to 7901 to report an outage.

Or, you can call the automated outage reporting system at 800-228-8485.

OUC Customers
Text “REG” to 69682 (myOUC) for storm alerts.

Text “OUT” to 69682 to report an outage.

Or, you can use the 24-hour outage reporting line by calling 407-423-9018 in Orlando & Orange County or 407-957-7373 in St. Cloud & Osceola County.

Florida Power & Light

If you want messages sent to your phone via text, email or phone, you can set your FP&L account preferences by clicking HERE.

Your power company wants you to text this number ahead of Hurricane Do

dorian%20thursday%20am%20track_1567074149121.png_7624183_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

The entire east coast of Florida remains in the storm's forecast cone as of Thursday. It is still projected to be a major Category 3 hurricane before making landfall.

Wherever it makes landfall, up to 125 mph winds is possible. Those living in and around the hurricane center's will see the highest rainfall totals.

NHC: Hurricane Dorian is slowing down, will strengthen in warmer waters

Tropical Storm Dorian is already drenching Puerto Rico and is predicted to strengthen into a hurricane that could potentially affect Florida and parts of the East Coast by late Sunday, Sept. 1. While most people tend to focus their preparations on having an adequate supply of food, water and batteries, it's also important to plan for health and wellness.

Snap94.jpg

Image Courtesy: NOAA
2 pm AST Wednesday Aug. 28, 2019

Dr. Michael Boniface, a Mayo Clinic emergency medicine physician, says addressing health and safety concerns before a storm will help keep you and your family safe during and after severe weather.

"Taking time to review your personal health needs and add items to your supply kit before a storm is extremely valuable," says Dr. Boniface.
Safety measures before a hurricane: Tropical Storm Dorian looms off Caribbean

“Today, I am declaring a state of emergency to ensure Florida is fully prepared for Hurricane Dorian,” said Governor DeSantis. “It’s important for Floridians on the East Coast to monitor this storm closely. Every Florida resident should have seven days of supplies, including food, water and medicine, and should have a plan in case of disaster. I will continue to monitor Hurricane Dorian closely with emergency management officials. The state stands ready to support all counties along the coast as they prepare.”

“Because of the uncertainty in the track of this storm, every resident along the East Coast needs to be ready,” said Florida Division of Emergency Management Director Jared Moskowitz. “As updates come out, it’s important that Floridians continue to pay attention to media and local officials as the track of this storm has been changing and can continue to change rapidly. By having an Executive Order in place and by activating the State Emergency Operations Center to a Level 2, we are fully prepared to support any community that might be impacted.”
20190828 Governor Ron DeSantis Declares State of Emergency, Urges Floridians to Prepare for Hurricane Dorian

Hurricane Dorian path LIVE: Trump declares EMERGENCY - US on alert for Cat 3 HURRICANE

For those in the storm’s path, now is a key time to review your natural disaster preparedness plan, which should include a plan for your pet too.

The Humane Society of the United States’ Animal Rescue Team has created a pet disaster plan kit to assist families that could face a weather-related catastrophe. Having a disaster plan for your entire family helps keeps everyone safe during the chaos the often accompanies a natural disaster.
As Hurricane Dorian Approaches the U.S., Here's What You Need to Know to Keep Your Pet Safe

***Thursday at 10 AM, 40 different animal organizations will meet at the Charleston Animal Society to discuss the statewide emergency plan for pets.
Charleston Animal Society urges owners to have pet evacuation plans

***Pet abandonment is a big enough issue for Florida lawmakers to try making it illegal during a hurricane.

The Humane Society's Animal Rescue Team offers a disaster kit plan to assist families with pets in the event of a weather-related catastrophe.

Items include: food, water and medication for at least five days per pet, a strong leash and collar with tags for identification, current photos of your pets for identification, comfort items and written information about your pets' feeding schedule and medical conditions.
Humane Society warns Floridians to protect pets ahead of Tropical Storm Dorian

Because it's four days out, the range of potential landfall spots is vast -- from the Florida Keys to southeast Georgia. And the center may pause at sea shortly before landfall -- leaving its outer bands to drench much of Florida with lots of rain, CNN meteorologist Chad Myers said.
"That's ... heavy rain potential," Myers said. "This will not be a compact storm when it gets there."
The affected areas in the US will feel tropical-storm force winds -- at least 39 mph -- as early as Saturday evening. And the center could pause before it runs into land -- potentially whipping cities with "inches and inches of (rain) an hour," Myers said.
"People have got to be ready before Sunday," Ken Graham, director of the National Hurricane Center, told CNN's "New Day" on Thursday.
Hurricane Dorian on track to approach Florida as a Category 4 storm on Labor Day - CNN

NASA's Kennedy Space Center (@NASAKennedy) on Twitter

upload_2019-8-29_10-40-9.jpeg

Flying Hurricane Dorian > U.S. Air Force > Article Display

I know most people preparing will already know that having lots of bottled water is one of the key things to make sure to have enough of.

Where we live (not in FL so not affected) our local water company is awful at giving us healthy drinking water so we have lived on bottled water for the past 5 years or so. What is hard to realize for some people is how much water you really will need. LOTS
I can safely say that our water consumption for just drinking, cooking, making coffee, tea, etc (not bathing water), averages around 3-4 gallons per day easily for just 2 adults. Most of the time we use 4 gallons per day (2 gallons each per day). We are coffee drinkers and the coffee pot uses up quite a bit of that each morning.

So if you need to be prepared for 7 days without electricity and safe drinking water (remember when electric is out the water may not be safe because water company cannot run its equipment to make it safe), then if you have 2 people in your home , then I would want to have at least 7 days X 4 gallons/day = 28 gallons of water on hand.

Thats right. 28 gallons And that is probably a minimum i would want for 2 people. Its an incredible amount of water to try to have on hand. Let alone trying to haul it from a grocery store or convenience store. Wish I could lend impacted folks a hand.

ETA - If you are not coffee drinkers you may be able to cut down the volume of water needed by 1 gallon/day. That coffee machine really takes a lot in the morning. :)

Last edited:
UPDATE- Dorian upgraded to Cat 4 at 11am.
Cat 4 winds are 130-156 mph.
Still headed for Florida.
By all means take those predictions seriously & have a plan!
But... if I had ten bucks for every time they raise that number in the days before a storm hits... And then... nothin’. Or something small.

At different points in the 2017 Irma trajectories, she was predicted to go through the 7-11 2 blocks from our FL gulf house we hadn’t sold yet OR thru our new GA Atlantic house. WAY DIFFERENT PATHS. But the maps kept changing. We had no idea if we should flee south, west or north.

Let’s face it, the higher the category number & more abundant the spaghetti strands, the more often millions of people click on those weather apps/sites to check on the path & the strength. This is BIG MONEY IN ADVERTISING DOLLARS for those sites. Just say’n. I wonder if the predictions would change so often if they had to donate all ad money to FEMA to be used for repair & recovery.

Be prepared, be safe & know that there might be other influence$ for those maps!

We always fill up all the bathtubs with water. Ice in multiple coolers. Generator for the well pump.
I have a checklist that I use since the area gets hit frequently.

Checklists are great and many can be found online.

I'm a huge fan of having generators. So long as people know how to use them safely they are wonderful.

I have 2 of them. One is a larger BTU unit that I use to keep the Fridge, 2 freezers going and the other one is for keeping a TV or computer going and maybe a small lamp or fan going.

Its funny when you plug something that uses a lot of energy into a running generator you can hear the engine power get sucked down the minute you plug it in. LOL

Each type of generator size will explain the maximum voltage you want to try to pull from a generator. And you want to use heavy duty extenstion cords and never try to split one cord into 2 with those splitters connections.
Most good generators will have about 4 outlets to plug stuff in.

When our power goes out for a long time it is humerous to look at the front of my home. I will have the large generator running in the front yard with 4 bright yellow thick extension cords going through the front window at the bottom. LOL

One year I even used my small generator to run a small window air conditioner because our power went out in hot summer for 2 days. I made sure not to plug in anything else into the generator except the small window air conditioner and it worked great to give us some coolness in that one room where we slept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nat Dru