Hurricane Harvey - August 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honore Texas will not be able to recover until all power is restored peroid. Cant clean out homes, no gas no meds, etc

NO cars cant work

What Fema did was after Katrina gave them the three years Fema insurance. The poor cant afford it lapses, and they are considered non compliant

Those isolated at this point are going into survival mode - they will be getting food water whatever way they can. This is not looting it is surviving,

Honore Msnbc

Henry are you voting Fl or NC?

--

Hi Cariis! I'm voting East coast. Midnight models aligned to the East coast.

I know what your talking about being on the grid. We are on the hospital grid...wonderful thing. We get excellent service. Lol. [emoji38]

03df2ddf7174509709e51617bffbd9c5.jpg

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

^^^^^ as has been mentioned many times... this!^^^^^
Add to that, the fact that Harvey was really pretty reserved at first...
by the time it got to where things were looking serioius, the time factor in ordering an evacuation... well... that would have been sending more people to their deaths, imo; and I firmly believe that, with my whole heart.
I am thankful there was not a mandatory evacuation order...especially a last-minute one.

You cant really evacuate for flooding you can do wind fields and storm surge - this kind of flooding you have no idea where the rain bands are gonna form - so you could actually be moving people to an area that will flood severly.

There big failure was not prepositioning prior to landfall

But with all the rebuilding needed they need to do stuff different. Facities that are putting in generators they need to be placed in the highest place

Oil tankers could have be prepostioned.

The are gonna need to do generator laws for gas stations.

Time is of the essence one could argue that they could not get in - which would be true, but it would be a lot faster if everything was prepositioned , ready to go and had transveressed some of the distance needed to go on dry highways, no electric lines trees etc in the way.

Getting 500 airboats close prior to landfall would have been ideal (whatever number)

I googled hurricane preparation guide and checklist and have been printing a few of them.
Irma worries me.
Good morning :seeya:

Hi Cariis! I'm voting East coast. Midnight models aligned to the East coast.

I know what your talking about being on the grid. We are on the hospital grid...wonderful thing. We get excellent service. Lol. [emoji38]

03df2ddf7174509709e51617bffbd9c5.jpg

She has so much hot water to go over ugh water temps around FL are 84!

You and I are gonna have to wait until she gets closer to have our hurricane our Irma debates and concur chats!

Whatever Us landfall she ends up at there is going to be lots of hardships on all the little places she will chew up on her way over here

I suppose in one way the gulf has to be colder after all the stirring up Harvey did

I think we are going to end up with hurricane train across the atlantic soon with several coming off Africa soon.

I know you are aware - for others the coast of Africa , a certain area, are the starting points for a lot of Atlantic storms.

A lot of them start there and then grow as they cruise along the Atlantic

There names are ugly! Irma when is last time anyone met a Irma!!

The mayor explained and it made sense. He said that when they evacuated a previous hurricane people were stuck in gridlock trying to leave when the storm he and it caused death. Like the six people in the van.

Ordering the evacuation of 7.5 million people out of a city would cause a catastrophe. They were safer staying put. The logistics of having to help them get out now is easier to handle actually, I think.

Also, I don't believe they can ever really predict what exactly is going f to happen, how much flooding there will be, etc.
But it's not a choice of evacuate no one or evacuating everyone. There's a lot of room between zero and 7 million. They certainly could have evacuated low lying areas before the storm. And there *were* predictions of a possible 50 inches of rain in the days before it hit (my sister and I were discussing the potential for 50 inches of rain the day before it hit and wondering why they were telling people to stay put)... local authorities were counting on the best case scenario and didn't even consider planning for the possibility of a worst case scenario.

And when the water was rising on Saturday, before the roads all became blocked, they certainly could have evacuated areas that were then obviously threatened. Same in the days following.

The city obviously had no emergency planning at all.

Rescuing people 4 or 5 at a time in fishing boats... and a population of 7m. Yes, some spots remained high and dry, but there's no way they could realistically save a large number of people with some fishing boats and dump trucks.

The casualties are going to be very high, and it makes me so angry because a large amount of deaths could have been prevented.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I googled hurricane preparation guide and checklist and have been printing a few of them.
Irma worries me.
Good morning :seeya:

Morning silly rant!

Where are you ? If you have never done this start now. It little bits, next time in a store grab some gallons of water.

Some of it stuff you will need batteries last for a decade so why not!!

They do have battery powered fans.

I am even being lazier . Water is heavy! i am doing water and batteries from amazon right after I am done catching up here !!

But if you have never done it before do not wait -- one is already stressed out and man when you get 5 days out forget it - its a hassle .

Keep you car close to full from now tell its over. Dont do that last minute fill up Its not like you dont need gas!

Toilet paper becomes a hassle grab now !!

I got much teasing here - it was fun-

CARIIS Zip Lock Neurotic Gallon Zip Lock Program (other wise known as the CZLNGZLP program) but heck my zip lock freezing water program is free!

It was suggested here that the FCP (Frozen Condom Program ) could be an alternative to CZLNGZLP program.

I thought it might be prudent to alter that suggestion to the XLFCP (Extra Large Condom Frozen Program), This amendment was ratified quickly!

When she gets closer and path more defined , just start freezing gallon bags of water!

Huge chunks melt a lot slower. If it gets closer start puting your giant frozen chunks of ice cooler a week out - it gets it cold and out of the freezer!

The goal not to end up having to do everything near the end best comes to best you throw your CZLNGZLP program in the sink !

d you dont have to be lugging all these bags of ice -- which become impossible to find as it gets closer.

It takes 4.6 seconds of time to fill up a zip lock gallon bag and insert in freezer .

Now for Frances I went nuts and ended up with about 20 giant chunks. Sounds crazy - but if your gonna end up without power if your refridge is filled the little CARIIS ice program your food wont go bad for a long time!!

Luckily I have not had to utilize the CARIIS program !, But will do it again as time gets closer!!

A win win win ! Ha! I hate buying frozen water it drives me bonkers!! It "feels " stupid- I can make my own ice thank you !!

If you would like to be completely neurotic you can implement the CARIIS salt frozen bag program !!

I tend ot be curious and when (years ago) I heard this it made no sense , so I did do a mini experiment

I found the notion to be total hogwash! Supposedly if you put salt in it stays frozen longer!

I do want you to know my dear my experiment only included two bowls not 18!

I have about 8 gallons here now but am a bit hyped but it is important (hard) for all of us to remember that Harvey was an abnormal event.

I think the real deal for Irma is gonna power and storm surge not flooding.

You and I are gonna have to wait until she gets closer to have our hurricane our Irma debates and concur chats!

Whatever Us landfall she ends up at there is going to be lots of hardships on all the little places she will chew up on her way over here

I suppose in one way the gulf has to be colder after all the stirring up Harvey did

I think we are going to end up with hurricane train across the atlantic soon with several coming off Africa soon.

I know you are aware - for others the coast of Africa , a certain area, are the starting points for a lot of Atlantic storms.

A lot of them start there and then grow as they cruise along the Atlantic

BBM ... :giggle: um ... She lives at the end of my street. (She is in her 80's)

oh

The rescuers that were electrocuted -- two of them were DAily Mail reporters (some survived)

The gas price stuff is total greed. The reason why our gas has been so low is there is a glut . They have plenty of gas -- the problem is getting it out -- that does not cost manufacturers more than regular

The get away with it cause public buys it.

In the past some of it was real --cause there was not a glut

capitalisim at its finest!
[h=3]Harvey causes gas concerns, officials say "there's plenty"[/h]

New evacs issued Braser River downstream

abc local

Hahaha...I know, right? Who wants to talk about "Irma" for 50 years. No offense intended to anyone named Irma. [emoji4]

Yep, el Nino is bringing the train again. Go back to 2005 and see the train. It was horrible...so much devastation and tragedy. I think Harvey is just the beginning. The current models have another one immediately behind big momma.

EURO model from midnight...9 days out

235c489390580083d5b81faf4dbe8e8b.jpg

Said to hubby last night " Remind me not to ever complain about cold and snow". Heard on Windsor news last night (referencing prior post of flooding here) that despite some new sewer systems they are not big enough to handle a deluge of rain. Official said no plans to replace until perhaps 2019 as it is very expensive. LORDY!!!!

Said to hubby last night " Remind me not to ever complain about cold and snow". Heard on Windsor news last night (referencing prior post of flooding here) that despite some new sewer systems they are not big enough to handle a deluge of rain. Official said no plans to replace until perhaps 2019 as it is very expensive. LORDY!!!!
Well said. The wind event is devastating, but can leave the area and return. Flooding is impossible....

2365076_630x354.jpg

Let's go to the experts first, the meteorologists at the National Hurricane Center in Miami, Florida. Their forecast shows the storm intensifying and staying out in the ocean all the way into next week.

Now let's take a look at some of the major models. If we look at the spaghetti plot (we call it that because the model track lines look like a pile of spaghetti) with some of the major models, they tend to follow the same path through next Wednesday. One takes it north, one takes it towards the Bahamas, and many models start to push it north.

When we look at EVERY model on the Spaghetti Plot, and the waters become even murkier. After next Wednesday, some take the storm towards the Carolinas. Some keep it out to sea and into the Northern Atlantic. Some move the storm towards Florida. And a couple of models even take it into the Gulf.

http://abc11.com/weather/irma-should-i-be-worried/2364973/

Morning silly rant!

Where are you ? If you have never done this start now. It little bits, next time in a store grab some gallons of water.

Some of it stuff you will need batteries last for a decade so why not!!

I am even being lazier . Water is heavy! i am doing water and batteries from amazon right after I am done catching up here !!

But if you have never done it before do not wait -- one is already stressed out and man when you get 5 days out forget it - its a hassle .

Keep you car close to full from now tell its over. Dont do that last minute fill up Its not like you dont need gas!

Toilet paper becomes a hassle grab now !!

I got much teasing here - it was fun-

CARIIS Zip Lock Neurotic Gallon Zip Lock Program (other wise known as the CZLNGZLP program) but heck my zip lock freezing water program is free!

It was suggested here that the FCP (Frozen Condom Program ) could be an alternative to CZLNGZLP program.

I thought it might be prudent to alter that suggestion to the XLFCP (Extra Large Condom Frozen Program), This amendment was ratified quickly!

When she gets closer and path more defined , just start freezing gallon bags of water!

Huge chunks melt a lot slower. If it gets closer start puting your giant frozen chunks of ice cooler a week out - it gets it cold and out of the freezer!

The goal not to end up having to do everything near the end best comes to best you throw your CZLNGZLP program in the sink !

d you dont have to be lugging all these bags of ice -- which become impossible to find as it gets closer.

It takes 4.6 seconds of time to fill up a zip lock gallon bag and insert in freezer .

Now for Frances I went nuts and ended up with about 20 giant chunks. Sounds crazy - but if your gonna end up without power if your refridge is filled the little CARIIS ice program your food wont go bad for a long time!!

Luckily I have not had to utilize the CARIIS program !, But will do it again as time gets closer!!

A win win win ! Ha! I hate buying frozen water it drives me bonkers!! It "feels " stupid- I can make my own ice thank you !!

If you would like to be completely neurotic you can implement the CARIIS salt frozen bag program !!

I tend ot be curious and when (years ago) I heard this it made no sense , so I did do a mini experiment

I found the notion to be total hogwash! Supposedly if you put salt in it stays frozen longer!

I do want you to know my dear my experiment only included two bowls not 18!

I have about 8 gallons here now but am a bit hyped but it is important (hard) for all of us to remember that Harvey was an abnormal event.

Thanks for this! Your extra leap into light-heartedness helps so much when dealing with such serious topics.

Your description of your preparations made me LOL...

ETA - Good advice, by the way!

Sep 1 2017, 5:22 am ET

Harvey Victims Begin Returning Home to Damage and Uncertainty

by Jon Schuppe and Phil McCausland

HOUSTON — People here are desperate to go home. But when they finally do, the homecoming can be awful.

For many of the tens of thousands of residents forced away by Hurricane Harvey, some first glimpses of home have come in the last couple of days — as floodwaters recede and exiles return to dried-out neighborhoods only to find their houses wrecked, possessions ruined, keepsakes scattered, and futures uncertain...

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/h...gin-returning-home-damage-uncertainty-n797946

2365076_630x354.jpg

Let's go to the experts first, the meteorologists at the National Hurricane Center in Miami, Florida. Their forecast shows the storm intensifying and staying out in the ocean all the way into next week.

Now let's take a look at some of the major models. If we look at the spaghetti plot (we call it that because the model track lines look like a pile of spaghetti) with some of the major models, they tend to follow the same path through next Wednesday. One takes it north, one takes it towards the Bahamas, and many models start to push it north.

When we look at EVERY model on the Spaghetti Plot, and the waters become even murkier. After next Wednesday, some take the storm towards the Carolinas. Some keep it out to sea and into the Northern Atlantic. Some move the storm towards Florida. And a couple of models even take it into the Gulf.

http://abc11.com/weather/irma-should-i-be-worried/2364973/

The model runs are totally useless now !

The folks that sell the models openly acknowledge (!) that accuracy this far out is zero!!

Here are the accuracy runs-- 5 days out they are actually about 300 miles off

there fascinating to watch them converge however but now nothing!!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/verification/verify5.shtml

Sep 1 2017, 6:59 am ET

First Water, Then Red Ink: The Cost of Recovery When Most Are Uninsured

by Martha C. White

First water, then red ink: The nightmare of Hurricane Harvey’s deluge of Houston could be exacerbated by the cost of recovery.

Experts say the unique nature of Harvey’s devastation means affected residents — and FEMA’s already-broke flood insurance plan — will be the ones reaching into their pockets to rebuild.

The early figures are fluid and likely to change, probably increasing as the extent of the damage becomes more clear. And early estimates of aggregate losses already vary widely, depending on whether the figure includes insured and uninsured property damage, or indirect impacts like lost worker productivity and economic output...

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/h...n-red-ink-cost-recovery-when-most-are-n797881

I had to go into work to do some reports last week. Minor flooding incident (not weather related). There were about 13 Industrial fans blowing out a steady stream of heat. Could not run the air and really it would not have kept up. It was 93 degrees inside. Thankfully we had a bit cooler weather with no high humidity. I couldn't believe the complaints I could hear. I just bit my tongue. My dear sainted Mother always said "If you ever think your lot in life is bad, look around". I cant begin to imagine what folks are going thru right now. The reality must be beyond comprehension.

Harvey Floodwaters will take more than a month to recede:

Harvey has dumped an estimated 24.5 trillion gallons of water over six days on Texas and Louisiana — a massive amount considering that 1 trillion gallons is as much water as flows over Niagara Falls in 15 days.

And the Houston area’s humid climate slows evaporation to a near standstill.

Much of central Houston is already drying out, thanks to the system of storm drains and detention ponds, said Dr. Samuel Brody of the Marine Sciences department at Texas A&M University, Galveston.

But the outlook is more grim — and waterlogged — for much of the 100-by-85-square-mile area deluged by Harvey, he said.

Low-lying areas near bayous, creeks and rivers will suffer through weeks of slow drainage and flooded homes, said Brody, who is director of the Center for Texas Beaches and Shores.

http://nypost.com/2017/08/30/harvey-floodwaters-will-take-over-a-month-to-recede/

Morning silly rant!

Where are you ? If you have never done this start now. It little

But if you have never done it before do not wait --

Hey Cariis- also we keep 2 "water bobs" on hand, one for each tub. Gives us clean water for days that we could drink or wash with. Worth the dollars...easy to store.

https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emergency-Drinking-Storage-Gallons/dp/B001AXLUX2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member