Hurricane Hilary threatens California, August 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Strange, here on the coast, PV Peninsula, it's only starting to rain lightly. No wind yet. Warm and humid outside.Catalina Island is not visible right now, as it usually is.
Interesting. I'm inland and it was really pouring this morning! It's lightening up a bit now. The weather forcast is predicting 3" to 7" of rain here starting this evening.

My father was just in central California visiting his family and hometown, and yesterday he frantically called my mother to say there'd just been a tornado that swept through the town. Horrible winds, trees falling into the streets, etc. Obviously not common in the area, to say the least, as my family's been in that city for 80+ years without even a whisper about a tornado. He was distressed, but he and the family are OK. Turns out to have not been a tornado, just a bad windstorm, from Hurricane Hilary. That area is not close to the region of the hurricane, but I guess it's close enough to do some real damage! Scary stuff out there, stay safe everyone.

Mudslides were always an issue when we lived in CA.

I hope there are no yahoos at the beach.

Surfers are still enjoying the waves at Huntington Beach. Watch live cams>>>

huntington-beach.jpg

0x1440.webp

In a sign of the dangers to come, Death Valley is already flooding ahead of the brunt of Tropical Storm Hilary. National Park Service rangers are warning visitors to stay away. "As of 8:42 am, Sunday 8/20, flood water is already flowing across park roads," the park service wrote on Facebook. "With heavy rain in the forecast, conditions are expected to get worse; roads will become impassable and the park will likely lose power, communications and potable water."
In photos posted by the park, muddy floodwaters can be seen covering Highway 190. Death Valley could see "terrain-altering flooding," forecasters say; in just a few days, the deserts of California may be inundated with as much rain as they normally receive in a whole year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back