Hurricane Hilary threatens California, August 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the NHC

..HILARY MAKES LANDFALL OVER THE NORTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA... ...CATASTROPHIC AND LIFE-THREATENING FLOODING LIKELY OVER BAJA CALIFORNIA AND PORTIONS OF THE SOUTHWESTERN U.S. THROUGH MONDAY...

Inland San Diego (Poway region, though not Poway) here . Steady slow rain only since around 10 am. No winds yet. Deserts are going to be a mess, but that image above of a "flooded" road from facebook is a nothing burger, fwiw. If it gets bad, those roads won't have any road visible. I've been through there when there is 3+ inches of water covering the whole road in my 4wd (I don't recommend it). Some of these reports strike me as odd. Any major storm in the desert is terrain altering.

I am surprised that they are planning school for tomorrow. California schools are not built for inclement weather. Most of the hallways are on the exterior of the buildings.
My guess is they are going to wait and see what happens today. If a lot of areas lose power, or how much rain or actual damage happens. If Mission Vally in San Diego gets the rain expected, it will be impassable in areas. (Built on a river bed- floods during every major storm). If Malibu gets this much rain, it could have slides.

Again, I've driven in Pt Loma where the roads were rivers and trash cans were floating along. Pulled several people out that had small cars that couldn't manage.. (I drive off road in the desert and always have a tow strap). They didn't close the schools then, it's why I was down there (to get my kids). This is definitely different, but I think they are going to wait and see.

My guess is they are going to wait and see what happens today. If a lot of areas lose power, or how much rain or actual damage happens. If Mission Vally in San Diego gets the rain expected, it will be impassable in areas. (Built on a river bed- floods during every major storm). If Malibu gets this much rain, it could have slides.

Again, I've driven in Pt Loma where the roads were rivers and trash cans were floating along. Pulled several people out that had small cars that couldn't manage.. (I drive off road in the desert and always have a tow strap). They didn't close the schools then, it's why I was down there (to get my kids). This is definitely different, but I think they are going to wait and see.
I agree. It’s all about the power.

If it's anything like the Chicago area they wait until a few hours before school starts to make the decision.
I hated the sound of the snow plow at 4 am. I knew what it meant!

They will probably make a decision this evening. I think they're looking at storm related damage (roads etc) and overnight forecast etc. MOO!!

The National Weather Service on Sunday issued a flash flood warning for a large swath of Los Angeles County on Sunday. The warning will be in effect until 7:45 p.m. for Long Beach, Malibu, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Universal City, downtown Los Angeles, Griffith Park, Culver City, Inglewood, Burbank, North Hollywood, Venice, Santa Monica, Van Nuys, Encino, Manhattan Beach, Alhambra and Hermosa Beach.

The warning was sent out shortly after another flash flood warning was issued for the Antelope Valley area, including Santa Clarita, Lancaster and Palmdale. That will be in effect until 6:30 p.m.

The agency advised the public to move to higher ground if possible. Significant mudslide activity is expected in the mountains and canyons, with debris flowers possible in recent burn scar areas.

A mudslide was blocking lanes on the northbound 14 Freeway under the Avenue N overpass Sunday morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back