Hurricane Hilary threatens California, August 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

The National Weather Service on Sunday issued a flash flood warning for a large swath of Los Angeles County on Sunday. The warning will be in effect until 7:45 p.m. for Long Beach, Malibu, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Universal City, downtown Los Angeles, Griffith Park, Culver City, Inglewood, Burbank, North Hollywood, Venice, Santa Monica, Van Nuys, Encino, Manhattan Beach, Alhambra and Hermosa Beach.

The warning was sent out shortly after another flash flood warning was issued for the Antelope Valley area, including Santa Clarita, Lancaster and Palmdale. That will be in effect until 6:30 p.m.

The agency advised the public to move to higher ground if possible. Significant mudslide activity is expected in the mountains and canyons, with debris flowers possible in recent burn scar areas.

A mudslide was blocking lanes on the northbound 14 Freeway under the Avenue N overpass Sunday morning.
How on earth do you move to high ground during high winds and rain?

From what I can see from CHP sites and such, there are significant road closures:

I-5 Region of The Grapevine and south to Santa Clarita because of rocks in the roadway ( The Grapevine) and numerous spinouts

I-5 in LA various areas because of acccidents and hydroplaning

1-15 Closed at Barstow because of a fire and power poles over the road. Looks like rain there, too

Parts of Highway 14 in the Antelope Valley are showing flooding, spinouts, people in cars off the road in ravines, etc.

Highway 58 from Bakersfield towards Mojave has rocks falling into the roadway.

So far Highway 10 in the Palm Springs area seems ok, with rain on the roadway but no major issues, yet.

Highway 190, west entrance into Death Valley closed because of flooding and rocks over the road

It does really look like so far Antelope Valley, north of San Bernadino is experiencing problems from the beginning of the storm.

From what I can see from CHP sites and such, there are significant road closures:

I-5 Region of The Grapevine and south to Santa Clarita because of rocks in the roadway ( The Grapevine) and numerous spinouts

I-5 in LA various areas because of acccidents and hydroplaning

1-15 Closed at Barstow because of a fire and power poles over the road. Looks like rain there, too

Parts of Highway 14 in the Antelope Valley are showing flooding, spinouts, people in cars off the road in ravines, etc.

Highway 58 from Bakersfield towards Mojave has rocks falling into the roadway.

So far Highway 10 in the Palm Springs area seems ok, with rain on the roadway but no major issues, yet.

Highway 190, west entrance into Death Valley closed because of flooding and rocks over the road

It does really look like so far Antelope Valley, north of San Bernadino is experiencing problems from the beginning of the storm.
I know people want to go in to work but honestly I wish only people in emergency services (LE, firefighter, paramendics, hospital workers & Cal trans employees) would report to work today.

Moo...there are storm chasers videoing live if you want to watch.
Livestormchasing.com. Go to map overview
Severestudios.com. go to interactive map page.
The weather site I'm watching shows heavy winds tomorrow in Nevada thru Colorado.
Also the hurricane is dragging down coastal winds from Canada and they should start effecting Washington down to California starting tomorrow......windy.com. moo
Live videos can cut in and out because of weather.

How on earth do you move to high ground during high winds and rain?
At the risk of sounding glib, if you move to higher ground might you now be at risk for sliding down during a mudslide? Sure, if you know your area floods, maybe get to higher ground, but what emergency shelters are open that are not partially filled with drug addled homeless? (not that all homeless are drug addled, just that some of them are). That's what is missing to me. Safe places people can take themselves and families that aren't in flood zones.

Big Bear Lake Cam

Have had this in the background for about an hour now. Should have shared it earlier. It's pretty wild out there

Is this an active nest? If so, I am surprised that the eagles aren't sitting on it to protect it, it may be a sign of instinct towards the weather and what is yet to come. JMO

Is this an active nest? If so, I am surprised that the eagles aren't sitting on it to protect it, it may be a sign of instinct towards the weather and what is yet to come. JMO

That nest has been a feature for several years. It was active this winter but the howling winds from those heavy winter storms up there were difficult. The eggs were noticed to be overdue and it appears they may not have been fertilized. When the eagles abandoned the nest in early spring, ravens were seen eating the two eggs.

Great photos of the pair in this piece about them:

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734