Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think the problem now is that it might be too late to get out - lack of gas, roads blocked up - they said last time they had a mass exodus from that area, more people were killed on the road than they would have been by the storm.

I believe I just saw a sign that said the last bus out would leave at 4pm from the area. They're furnishing transport for those that are unable to leave on their own

I think many people have to experience the devastation of a storm in order to take the next one seriously. I know until Katrina, we would evacuate for a storm but that was only because the military said we had to. We were not afraid, and we wouldn't even bother gathering important papers, etc. Sometimes you just have to see to believe. Unfortunately for some-it will be the last thing they see.

All you folks in Texas stay safe! I have the whole area in my prayers.

We are having flooding, tornado warnings and gusts up to 69 miles an hour. Every time the wind blows I think of y'all.

I'm hoping my power stays on so I can keep in check with friends and family. My cousins son in Baytown is staying, no matter how we beg him. He's about to give his mama a heart attack. They are worried about storm surge and winds I suspect.
BhamMama, please stay safe, I know you are a bit of a seasoned veteran-but dont let your guard down. I'm praying for your family, and your cousins son.

BhamMama, please stay safe, I know you are a bit of a seasoned veteran-but dont let your guard down. I'm praying for your family, and your cousins son.

Thanks hon. I certainly will. We don't have tornado sirens here so I've got batteries for my noaa radio and already have a safe place ready for the kids just in case.

I have friends who told me they'd call my cell as long as they possibly could to let me know how they fare. G-d willing they'll be fine.

You take care too and pay attention to the weather. I know flooding is going on in parts there too.

The coast is definitely flooded here-but we live about 10 miles from the beach so we don't typically get flooding. My only concern right now is the pine trees. Our house backs up to a much larger property with tons of acreage, and tons of pine trees.

hey to all that are staying for this storm I wish you all well and for those that had to evacuate I hope its not too bad where you live. We are riding the storm out in calcasieu parish louisiana. The wind is kicking up and we are supposed to get up to 85 mph winds by tonight and up to 20ft storm surge. Im just worried about tornados but I think we should be okay where we are. Still by the way no mandatory evacuation which Im still baffled by. They keep comparing the storm to Katrina and Rita yet no evac. This is a bad scenario since most people arent leaving. Im just praying its not too bad here.

Hi DT, I'm in Austin..are you near by? Earlier today it said that Austin was supposed to get up to 90 mph wind gusts on Saturday (even that is cat 1 hurricane strength winds!) But after watching the 10:00 news tonight they said Ike shifted a little easterly now making landfall closer to Galveston instead of Corpus. That would now put us out of harm's way where the wind is concerned but would still get the much needed rain and possible flash flooding....all I know is it's BIG! BIG BAD IKE!

I'm a little north of you by Lake Belton. My friend at NOAA says the winds and rain should still reach us, but not as much as was thought before. Take care all!

I'm sitting here watching a local tv station (online) from out of Terrebonne Parish in LA and am stunned that I didn't realize this area is already being hit so hard from this beast. My niece lost her place to Gustav and is now staying in Bayou Dularge - near Houma - with her in-laws. They're under mandatory evacuation but none of them evacuated this time. Too broke, too tired, too depressed and too stressed.

Below is the link for the station if anyone wants to take a peak. It's actually giving a clear understanding of the fact that many areas/people in Louisiana -- outside of large areas such as NOL and such -- have basically been ignored by the state, by the media and by FEMA. It's very, very sad and there's no excuse for it, imo. Mind you I knew my niece was having a hard time even getting information once they were allowed back in, but I had no idea that was the norm rather than the exception. And with this, massive monster the worst is yet to come... :(

http://www.kfolkjun.com:80/htv/WatchNow/tabid/54/Default.aspx

Anyway, I'm sure there are many, many more that went thru Gustav who are in the same position. ALL of you are in my thoughts and prayers as well those in Texas. God Bless and stay safe!!

I'm a little north of you by Lake Belton. My friend at NOAA says the winds and rain should still reach us, but not as much as was thought before. Take care all!
Awww, some of my best times as a child (and rebellious times as a teen,lol) were at Belton Lake!!!

Hey,DT... I am right below Morgan's Point. What is your friend at Noaa saying about Tornado potential for our area?

Roads are clear this morning. The reason there was such a large loss of life during the Rita evacuation was a bus from a nursing home broke down and caught fire, fueled by oxygen tanks. (very tragic.)

The waves are already hitting the top of the sea wall at the San Luis hotel in Galveston. I can't even get my head around the amount of water predicted for this storm surge.

On the good news side for us we're looking at predicted 60-75 mph winds. House probably okay, we're eyeballing the trees and possible debris, etc. No pine trees around us though.

This may be my last chance to say this. Ike is a scary monster. I will be on pins and needles until you all check back in again. I will give my last appeal. If you all can get out, please do. If not then God be with you.

Please, after it is over check back in with us.

Sometimes afterwards communication to the outside world is erratic. Maybe you will have cell, maybe not. Maybe you will have internet, maybe not. So make sure that family knows where to find a message from you on the net, in case you cannot get through on the phone.

Oh goodness, I'm watching twc and jim cantore is reporting. I just want to puke, these people are breaking my heart. There are so many people just hanging around sightseeing on the beach!!!
To our friends on or near the coast:
Please, please, please-if you feel you must stay-do not go out, do not leave your home to sightsee! Stay home, charge your cell phone, laptop, etc. for as long as possible. Odds are you will not have service after the storm-but just in case.

KATO or anyone from that area please check in with us ----
Txlurker????
Anyone else????

I'm here. Water already going over the seawall. In downtown Galveston cars already being submerged. Surfside (Freeport) flooding starting. There are 3 neighbors refusing to leave their houses. Cops going to talk to them face to face but cannot force them to leave.

Gotta go hunt some coffee down. BF went to store said parking lot crowded so didn't even go in now I have to go stand in line.

Roads are clear this morning. The reason there was such a large loss of life during the Rita evacuation was a bus from a nursing home broke down and caught fire, fueled by oxygen tanks. (very tragic.)

The waves are already hitting the top of the sea wall at the San Luis hotel in Galveston. I can't even get my head around the amount of water predicted for this storm surge.

On the good news side for us we're looking at predicted 60-75 mph winds. House probably okay, we're eyeballing the trees and possible debris, etc. No pine trees around us though.

And it ain't even raining yet. BF just mentioned Carla (which he went through in El Campo as a boy). He's 20 yrs. older than me and I told him people my age have never seen anything like that so it's hard to comprehend.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retired Private Investiga
Back