Hurricane Irene barrels toward Puerto Rico, Possibly U.S.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks Peliman, I just saw the 5 am update. I am getting my stuff together so that when/if we receive the evacuation order we can hightail it over the bridge and inland to stay with friends. I have stayed for CAT 1 hurricanes but won't stay here for anything stronger. I stayed for Floyd but didn't live on the water then and that one was scary enough.

I appreciate you posting the navy tracking map. I've been using wunderground.com and think it's a good site. Lot's of knowledgable folks on the message boards there.

One thing is for sure. The eastern seaboard is going to have some massive waves even if iRene doesn't make landfall. Everybody stay safe!!!

wm

map_tropprjpath09_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/

I live on Key west.... I just hope it doesn't do a turn like Charlie did and Slam right into Florida...

People really need to remember that it is the Tornado spun off of the storm that also do severe damage...
:gasp:

I just saw the models on TWC and many are now showing a HIGH probablilty of iRene making landfall in the Cape Fear area along the NC coast. I will have to evacuate if it heads this way as a CAT 2 because I live on an island. EEk! I am trying not to panic too early but still....EEk!

wm

Hi friend, I was wondering what your plans were. I can't make my mind to stay or leave. Thankfully I don't live on the island anymore but I still live very close. I'm out to shop for canned goods, batteries, can opener etc.....you know the plan. I have a feeling that Cape Fear will get that uninvited visitor. Stay safe. Check in as much as possible. I will unless the power goes out.

Stay safe, everyone, this looks like it's going to affect a lot of people. :heartbeat:

(As a Californian, I don't know how you all do it!)

Stay safe, everyone, this looks like it's going to affect a lot of people. :heartbeat:

Yeah, but you have those earthquakes with no warning at all..:cry:

Lol, my son lives in Burbank and I say the same thing to him about earthquakes. We have some advanced notice...at least that's my take.

As a life long central Fla resident, we're used to the drill. Heading out to fill up the extra gas cans. Generator ready, stocked up on batteries and water. Found the weather radio.

I hate this period of time when we wait for a shift in either direction. I keep going up and down - it's going away, no it's coming at us. Ugh! Well, better safe than sorry.

DH is an insurance adjuster - so as soon as the storm clears, he goes into storm trooper mode. Been doing this for more years than we'd care to recall. Our kids grew up "going on vacation" where ever he ended up, and when they look back on things we all laugh because they were used to going places where everything was trashed. They thought it was normal.

Well, the way it looks at this moment, it's Georgia and the Carolinas that may be more severely impacted than us here in CF.

In any case, everyone be safe, make your preparations, and by all means, you coastal people need to be prepared to move! Prayers for a sharp turn to the east in the next 24 hours.

Hi friend, I was wondering what your plans were. I can't make my mind to stay or leave. Thankfully I don't live on the island anymore but I still live very close. I'm out to shop for canned goods, batteries, can opener etc.....you know the plan. I have a feeling that Cape Fear will get that uninvited visitor. Stay safe. Check in as much as possible. I will unless the power goes out.

I think you really have to evaluate how safe your residence is. During Charley, I was really scared. I will never again stay beyond a Cat 2, but would probably leave at a Cat 1. Once that storm hits...there's no going anywhere so if you have any doubts go.

Forecasters say the hurricane could grow to a monstrous Category 4 storm with winds of more than 131 mph before it's predicted to come ashore this weekend on the U.S. mainland. The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami expected Irene to reach Category 3 strength on Tuesday, said spokesman Dennis Feltgen

http://news.yahoo.com/hurricane-irene-marks-1st-big-us-threat-years-071828290.html

She appears to gaining some steam. If I lived on the coast, I would have my car packed, money in my pocket and on the road even before the warnings went up....

My sister was in Galveston for Ike and was so glad she left before the official warnings started because it was a mess for some getting out and finding a place to stay.

Stay safe, everyone........

Thanks Peliman, I just saw the 5 am update. I am getting my stuff together so that when/if we receive the evacuation order we can hightail it over the bridge and inland to stay with friends. I have stayed for CAT 1 hurricanes but won't stay here for anything stronger. I stayed for Floyd but didn't live on the water then and that one was scary enough.

I appreciate you posting the navy tracking map. I've been using wunderground.com and think it's a good site. Lot's of knowledgable folks on the message boards there.

One thing is for sure. The eastern seaboard is going to have some massive waves even if iRene doesn't make landfall. Everybody stay safe!!!

wm

I think you really have to evaluate how safe your residence is. During Charley, I was really scared. I will never again stay beyond a Cat 2, but would probably leave at a Cat 1. Once that storm hits...there's no going anywhere so if you have any doubts go.

I am usually not an alarmist, but this storm is getting scary. Weather channel is thinking possibly a Cat 4? You guys up in the GA and Carolinas area - if you think you need to evacuate - then I'd be ready to do so. This doesn't look like a storm to mess around with. We should know much more by tomorrow morning. Do we have any WS'rs in the Bahamas. Prayers going out to the folks on those beautiful islands.

Anyone know if the 3G connection on my iPad would remain functioning during/after a storm?

Hi lonetraveler! You must have ESP my friend as I was wondering about you too! I am glad you are making preparations. I am making preliminary preps so that when it's time, I can leave before 'they' close the bridge. I'll be taking the 'I' out of iRene, lol! I stayed in N Wilmington during Fran and that neighborhood was torn up so if it's over a CAT2 I might just hightail it down to Bama to visit my mom!

That ole Cape Fear River mouth seems to suck these storms right up, doesn't it?.....Bertha, Fran, Bonnie, Dennis, Floyd, Ophelia, etc.

I will check in too....god willing and the creek don't rise!

You and everyone please stay safe.

wm

11:00 update moves the cone completely off the Florida peninsula. Praying she keeps moving east!

The 11AM advisory is in.

Irene is at 20.5N 71.0W moving 12 mph; 100 mph winds; pressure is 980 mb

Ok - my position is 25.0N 80.0W (Ft. Lauderdale)

This is what ticks me off with the Hurricane Center and "Big Brother". They don't want to "panic" the sheeple so they just blow it off and keep saying - "its gonna turn, its gonna turn - you watch - its gonna turn". Ok - but WHAT IF IT DOESN'T?

11AM advisory says tropical storm force winds extend out from the center 205 miles! That means this storm is approx 400 miles wide. And its gonna pass between us and the Bahamas, but don't worry, we won't feel a thing? GMAB

I hate getting out in those squalls lashing stuff down, bringing stuff in, etc. That horizontal rain hurts.

I've actually seen them shift the radar west so as "not to panic" the area. I would rather know - thank you.

Such a waiting game here. Can't wait to see this thing on our local radar. They also said they are starting to see an eye - and can see an eyewall.

Oh but BTW - the weather here today is absolutely gorgeous - it always is right before a storm.

Ok - back to waiting for the 2 o'clock.

i don't wish any harm or destruction on anyone but man i wish one of those would come my way :(

ya'll stay safe and hunkerdown

i don't wish any harm or destruction on anyone but man i wish one of those would come my way :(

ya'll stay safe and hunkerdown

Boy, you guys are soooooooooooo dry; when was the last time you had rain?

Boy, you guys are soooooooooooo dry; when was the last time you had rain?

:waitasec: afternoon quickies a few weeks...significant rain....i couldn't tell you.....i'll prolly have to resod my backyard now. :banghead:

The 11AM advisory is in.

Irene is at 20.5N 71.0W moving 12 mph; 100 mph winds; pressure is 980 mb

Ok - my position is 25.0N 80.0W (Ft. Lauderdale)

This is what ticks me off with the Hurricane Center and "Big Brother". They don't want to "panic" the sheeple so they just blow it off and keep saying - "its gonna turn, its gonna turn - you watch - its gonna turn". Ok - but WHAT IF IT DOESN'T?
11AM advisory says tropical storm force winds extend out from the center 205 miles! That means this storm is approx 400 miles wide. And its gonna pass between us and the Bahamas, but don't worry, we won't feel a thing? GMAB

I hate getting out in those squalls lashing stuff down, bringing stuff in, etc. That horizontal rain hurts.

I've actually seen them shift the radar west so as "not to panic" the area. I would rather know - thank you.

Such a waiting game here. Can't wait to see this thing on our local radar. They also said they are starting to see an eye - and can see an eyewall.

Oh but BTW - the weather here today is absolutely gorgeous - it always is right before a storm.

Ok - back to waiting for the 2 o'clock.

This is what scares me. What if it doesn't? What if it decides to shift big time? What if it goes out more and loops back right at us?

Geez, I stay on pins and needles till they are completely past Florida.

To the best of my knowledge, we haven't had a good rain in my neck of the woods in at least two months.

For all you east-coasters, remember to pack supplies for your pets in your emergency kits, in case of evacuation.

The latest projected path of Irene takes it over eastern North Carolina as a major hurricane this weekend, posing a severe threat to lives and property.

Given the setup in the atmosphere as well as where hurricanes have traveled from similar starting points, negotiating the Antilles, Irene may take a path similar to or east of Hurricane Bertha in 1996.

The difference between Bertha and Irene is that Bertha was a Category 2 hurricane at landfall. Irene should come onshore over the Carolinas as a strong Category 3 hurricane.

Irene would then become the strongest hurricane to strike the Carolinas since Fran in 1996.

Much more, including a forecast eye map, at the link:

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/54098/hurricane-irene-to-slam-into-t.asp

The latest projected path of Irene takes it over eastern North Carolina as a major hurricane this weekend, posing a severe threat to lives and property.

Given the setup in the atmosphere as well as where hurricanes have traveled from similar starting points, negotiating the Antilles, Irene may take a path similar to or east of Hurricane Bertha in 1996.

The difference between Bertha and Irene is that Bertha was a Category 2 hurricane at landfall. Irene should come onshore over the Carolinas as a strong Category 3 hurricane.

Irene would then become the strongest hurricane to strike the Carolinas since Fran in 1996.

Much more, including a forecast eye map, at the link:

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/54098/hurricane-irene-to-slam-into-t.asp

It looks like we're going to get the flooding and heavy rains here in MD, especially the coastal areas.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back