Hurricane Irene barrels toward Puerto Rico, Possibly U.S.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, good luck to you as well. We're in a wood home so I always panic:chicken: I still need my extra gas container for the grill and batteries. Too early to start boarding windows...we'll know better by Tuesday. I'm really hoping for a hard turn to the north at this point.

Gee thanks a lot lol. I'm in MA. It looks like we're getting nailed anyway Saturday. There're say cat 3. :eek:

omg....we just got the most amazing thunderstorm

I hope people go to safe ground. Leaving Florida for one storm we did 35mph all the way up I95. It was a massive exodus. Horrible, scary experience. I am glad we left, so many tornadoes came with that hurricane, it completely trashed the whole area. No power for 13 days. I hope people are really paying attention to the monster Irene.

My elderly mother lives in Jersey. Should I try to get her on a flight out, or should I go back there for the weekend? I don't believe she's ever been through a hurricane, and she's 81 and frail.

Best-
Herding Cats

Here in SE CT We are preparing..... hoping we don't get 'slammed'. Last time I remember a bad hurricane was around 1991.

The European model the weather channel has showed would make this thing go directly over my house as a cat 2. I'm watching it closely but something tells me she will take a sharp turn and head out eastward more than the models are showing.

That European model has it going a lot more west then any other model. Why would the weather channel show that model if they were not looking at it seriously?

My elderly mother lives in Jersey. Should I try to get her on a flight out, or should I go back there for the weekend? I don't believe she's ever been through a hurricane, and she's 81 and frail.

Best-
Herding Cats
Herding Cats, if it were my mother, I'd do my best to fly her out of there. The elderly suffer terribly during and after disasters. Even if her area doesn't get a direct hit, resources could be limited for awhile as responders and supplies are redirected to the affected areas. For an 81 year-old in frail condition, even a minor interruption in services could be devastating.

Although I live in PA, above Philly, I am stocking up on water, candles, food, etc. I went through a hurricane once, a long time ago further inland in PA. That baby, forget the name, took the hugh doors off the barn and peeled half the roof off of our house. No lights, nothing but wind, rain, roaring, and flying debris.

Get prepared and stay safe.

The European model the weather channel has showed would make this thing go directly over my house as a cat 2. I'm watching it closely but something tells me she will take a sharp turn and head out eastward more than the models are showing.

That European model has it going a lot more west then any other model. Why would the weather channel show that model if they were not looking at it seriously?

The NWS discussion says the track has been moved slightly west of the previous track.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/250858.shtml?

This thing has me worried. We are now under a TS watch here in SE NC. The hurricane watch begins 2 counties north of here.

I'll probably ride it out at this point unless the officials call for a mandatory evacuation or if it tracks more west than anticipated.

I am worried about my WS families who live up north. The track this am shows Irene making landfall on Long Island after moving away from NC.

Everyone stay safe!

wm

Although I live in PA, above Philly, I am stocking up on water, candles, food, etc. I went through a hurricane once, a long time ago further inland in PA. That baby, forget the name, took the huge doors off the barn and peeled half the roof off of our house. No lights, nothing but wind, rain, roaring, and flying debris.

Get prepared and stay safe.

Agnes? 1972? I remember her. WOW! She was worse than the one I experienced in a pop-up camper in FL!

wm

Don't know where you are but the Outer Banks is beginning evacuation. Just saw some live footage of Kill Devil Hills, NC, all is calm right now, but are advising to evacuate.

ETA: The Today Show just said Outer Banks on mandatory evacuation. Been 2 decades since a hurricane this big on this coast? That's what they said.

Hope everyone stays safe, and if you or loved ones are in one of the coastal zones, please leave if at all possible. Find a cheap hotel room further inland before all are taken, or stay with family or friends. Stay safe!

Agnes? 1972? I remember her. WOW! She was worse than the one I experienced in a pop-up camper in FL!

No, not Agnes. It was Hazel - I'm old with a very good memory. Of course I was a child then, huddled on a pile of blankets in a dry corner while all around me water was falling from the ceiling - and we lived in a two-story farmhouse. I'll never forget the sight of those hugh barn doors doing pinwheels down the road.

Hurricane Hazel--A Category Four Hurricane that came ashore in North Carolina in October, 1954, and then brought hurricane force winds as far inland as Canada. Passing 95 miles to the East of Charleston, South Carolina, Hazel made landfall very near the North Carolina and South Carolina border, and brought a record 18 foot storm surge at Calabash, North Carolina. Wind gusts of 150 mph were felt in Holden Beach, Calabash, and Little River Inlet 100 mph gusts were felt farther inland at Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, and New York. Hazel carved a path of destruction that left over 600 dead, and damages exceeded $350 million 1953 U.S. dollars.

OOPS, forgot the link: http://www.hurricaneville.com/historic.html
Interesting site.

The NWS discussion says the track has been moved slightly west of the previous track.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/250858.shtml?

This thing has me worried. We are now under a TS watch here in SE NC. The hurricane watch begins 2 counties north of here.

I'll probably ride it out at this point unless the officials call for a mandatory evacuation or if it tracks more west than anticipated.

I am worried about my WS families who live up north. The track this am shows Irene making landfall on Long Island after moving away from NC.

Everyone stay safe!

wm

Yes our northern residents are in for a huge storm. Our members up north should read the thread we had going downstairs started by momcat. I've noticed the move westward in the track. You be safe yourself whatever you decide to do.

It's Hurricane Season - What Special Things Do You Do When the Storm's a-Comin?

I just checked out the update and the models are shifted a little more west again. I'm 50 miles north of Norfolk. If it continues on like they are showing then I'll get some of Irene. How much is to be determined. My concern is my house is a crawl space type foundation, it is surrounded by many trees, therefore We are staying the night at a hotel Sat night. My fear is trees coming down on the house and landing on us.

They are also saying that once it makes landfall it will not quickly lose it's punch so depending on what Cat it is at landfall will be a big difference too.

I live not far from the York River, we are not in a flood zone but storm surge map shows we could get water but my husband doubts it will come up that far. (He better hope so, no flood insurance)

I'm a little worried if it does flood my generator...I suppose I can drive it up on my DECK that is elevated (thinking out loud here)

I've lived through a few hurricanes in my life time since I grew up in Florida.

I just don't trust my house to hold together or I would stay put in my house.

can anyone give me an idea as to what virginia beach should expect?

i have been trying to keep up to speed but the information is confusing me to no end.

thank you!

I think I'll be ok if Irene stays on the current track. I have rode out CAT 1 and TS's here. My biggest fear is the threat of her tracking more west as I live on a canal and am 1 block from the beach. Here is info from the local station about what to expect here in New Hanover County. We are not under evacuation orders yet but should hear something later today. I hope that Irene just gives us a sideswipe but ya'll can bet that if the evac order is given, I will go inland.

http://www.wect.com/story/15327022/what-can-i-expect-from-hurricane-irene-where-i-live

In my album titled 'my art' on my profile page there are some photos taken from my deck which shows the canal where I live.

I noticed that some outer bands are moving into south FL. You FL sleuths please keep us updated!

wm

This model has always been the most accurate in the past. That's why they are showing it. They don't show it often because I believe it would cause panic. But this was the most accurate model in the past several years.

can anyone give me an idea as to what virginia beach should expect?

i have been trying to keep up to speed but the information is confusing me to no end.

thank you!

Virginians need to prepare now for Hurricane Irene, which is forecasted to be a Category 2 hurricane as it passes near the Virginia coast on Saturday and Sunday. Irene has the potential to bring flooding to the eastern part of the state; winds could reach at least 39 mph west of Interstate 95 and up to 95 mph in the Hampton Roads area. Residents should stay tuned to their local TV and Radio Stations for current information.
Click Here for all your Hurricane Preparedness information.
http://hurricaneirene-va.tumblr.com/

Thank you Lera213. The rain doesn't scare me as my neighborhood doesn't normally flood but the wind sure does. I removed all my tall/large trees when I first moved into my home. I have neighbors with huge trees that would flatten my house if they fell.

I wish everyone luck. I'm praying Irene takes a more easterly route and stays offshore.

BTW, I think the mandatory evacuation for the Outer Banks is just for visitors/tourists. Last I heard on the news the residents haven't been MADE to evacuate but that might just be a matter of time.

Thank you Lera213. The rain doesn't scare me as my neighborhood doesn't normally flood but the wind sure does. I removed all my tall/large trees when I first moved into my home. I have neighbors with huge trees that would flatten my house if they fell.

I wish everyone luck. I'm praying Irene takes a more easterly route and stays offshore.

BTW, I think the mandatory evacuation for the Outer Banks is just for visitors/tourists. Last I heard on the news the residents haven't been MADE to evacuate but that might just be a matter of time.
You are welcome, I was looking that the storm surge map and I will tell you, I just am not sure if I'm in trouble or not. The storm surge map has ZERO STREET NAMES! I cannot tell where I'm at on the map. I must point out I'm terrible with maps too. Could someone help me?

Here is the storm surge map. http://www.vaemergency.gov/sites/default/files/MiddlePeninsula_StormSurge.png

Here is my street: tanyard landing road, Va - Google Maps

I told my husband I think we are, and he argued with me because a flood map sent out early spring showed we were not in the 100 year flood range. I tried to explain to him that surge is a different map, it has to do with storms. He argued and argued!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back