Hurricane Irene barrels toward Puerto Rico, Possibly U.S.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Lera, I tried to look but Could not help. I wonder why they have no road names on that map. How confusing.

Looks like if it stays on Track Maine could be hit with something. I am not to concern over losing power, just need my generator going for the sump pump.. No need for flooding basement. The most I am concern about is the dead trees hanging around my house. Last September I think lightening struck a tree, and it almost landed on my house. It was when a Tornado touched down a few miles from my house. I like living in Maine, because I can handle snow storms and ice storms, but thats it. At least if we lose power it won't be in the dead of winter.. Thats the only positive I see out of this.
Everyone please stay safe :)

LOL Lera! Aren't hubbies funny? I wish I could help you but I am not good with maps either. Better to play it safe with the threat of rising water.

Where is CN2Souls today? She lives in the keys and they are beginning to get the outer bands?

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx?location=USNC0104

I hope she checks in with us today.

Everyone stay safe and keep us posted. I am now going to bring my plants and outdoor furniture inside today. Some mean person stole my bike so I don't have to haul that up the steps I guess....will check in later.

Turn East Irene!!!

wm

ETA
I checked the moon phases calender and the new moon is Monday. The tides will be higher than usual leading up to Mon. Just wanted to mention this as it is an important consideration for those of us who live close to the water.

http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_phases_calendar.phtml

Thanks, yeah why on earth they didn't have at least main road names is beyond me. How hard would it have been to take a google map and overlay the color for the surge. Oh I know that would save tax payers money and we cannot have that /rant.

LOL

lera, thank you.

i am thinking it is going to be a rough weekend here. i live with just my kids in a house surrounded by huge trees. every time a slight wind gust occurs, i lose what i at least consider to be very large branches! i have one that is at least 50'long x 20' wide in my yard just because it rained the other day.

i'm trying to figure out if i should board or tape up windows or what. as i said when the unexpected quake hit the other day, my biggest fear in life is that something happens that i cannot protect my children from. no one else has done boarding or taping that i can see but i sure don't want to NOT do it if it might protect us. then again, i don't know that i could afford the materials.

i am going to the store to purchase water, batteries and other necessities. i just don't have a good feeling about this. part of me would like to load the kids up and head.....anywhere....just to be on the safe side.

Doubt,

My husband and I thought about driving west but decided to get a room at a nice hotel on the 3rd floor. I don't mind staying in the house but not with the tall pines, the many hard wood trees so close to my house. Just one coming down would I think create a domino scenario. I didn't want to go too far either because what if I had to come back for insurance or something, theft etc. I wanted to be close but safe. Thank goodness the hotel we are staying at my son works at so I can bring my cat.

The ground has gotten a lot of rain this year, and today they said rain however, nothing yet. If it does rain today/tonight my gosh the ground will be primed for trees to come down.

can you afford to stay in a hotel over night, a nice solid one? Better to spend the hotel money and be safe, worth the worry if you ask me. We are on a super tight budget but we have to do what we have to do.

http://weather.myfoxtampabay.com/maps/WTVT/custom/kml/09-googlemaps.html

This link is an interactive model you can click on the boxes to the right and the model will show up. The four models starting at the GFDI show the eye going over West Point, Virginia. I'm just a few clicks from there. So if it follows that path I'll be on the east side of the storm. (NOT GOOD) even if it is a cat 1.

I'm watching closely for Irene has changed her mind so much and has kept the NHC on its toes.

You are welcome, I was looking that the storm surge map and I will tell you, I just am not sure if I'm in trouble or not. The storm surge map has ZERO STREET NAMES! I cannot tell where I'm at on the map. I must point out I'm terrible with maps too. Could someone help me?

Here is the storm surge map. http://www.vaemergency.gov/sites/default/files/MiddlePeninsula_StormSurge.png

Here is my street: tanyard landing road, Va - Google Maps

I told my husband I think we are, and he argued with me because a flood map sent out early spring showed we were not in the 100 year flood range. I tried to explain to him that surge is a different map, it has to do with storms. He argued and argued!

That surge map is not very helpful is it? Here is the best that I could do with a comparison to the surge map and your address based on visually aligning it. If not right in the surge area it is danged close imo.

Attachments

• Surge to Position.jpg
    Surge to Position.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 16
So scary! DH is a trucker... but he just got sent to DELAWARE... and now I'm totally worried about something that has never directly affected me before. He is anticipating that he'll be back home Saturday night - we live in IL - so hopefully that means he'll be out of Delaware by Friday evening at the latest...

But with this sort of weather anticipated, who knows if he will be held up somewhere, or if they will even unload him, etc.

To make matters worse, this is our anniversary weekend... 8 years on the 27th :(

Now since I am also in the path, am heading to check out generator/emergency supplies.

Stay safe all and do what is necessary to protect loved ones - I don't have a good feeling about this one either.

eleph

That surge map is not very helpful is it? Here is the best that I could do with a comparison to the surge map and your address based on visually aligning it. If not right in the surge area it is danged close imo.

Thank you so much, I feel just a tad better in that my map skills aren't as bad as I thought. They are saying we are going to get a lot of rain from Norfolk on up to NY.

I have my own personal meteorologist (a friend) and he showed me these maps which I found very helpful. Click on where it says "zoom animation HWRF Irene" and then you can mouse over or click on the numbers across the top until you find the area you want to look at. 87 shows where I am in RI.
http://coaps.fsu.edu/~maue/weather/

He got me pretty scared last night. He said we will be on the east side of the storm if it tracks the way it is expected and will have the highest winds on that side. He said we need to board up our windows and possibly even go somewhere else because we have lots of really big old trees in our yard and the property behind us which is to the south of our house. The projected track has shifted a little west from where it was last night but that doesn't really change things for us much.

Hurricane path just shifted again towards the eastern coast. People in NJ and PA need to start taking precautions! This storm is dangerous!!!

I have a gut feeling this may not be as bad as expected, just a hunch, but I am praying for everyone in her path, in Jesus' Protective Name, amen!!!! :)

I can't reach my Mom today - she's probably in the City. I will call her tonight, and warn her. She doesn't watch television much, but does listen to the radio. I'm hoping that she's aware of the storm...

Do we have any websleuths near to Nutley that I can get reliable updates from? I'd really appreciate it...

Best-
Herding Cats

Check out my local radar - right now

rb-l.jpg

We took a good squall line around 8 AM and it looks like we're gonna be rockin' & rollin' this afternoon.

AS I'm typing this its now starting to thunder out there pretty good.

Check out my local radar - right now

rb-l.jpg

We took a good squall line around 8 AM and it looks like we're gonna be rockin' & rollin' this afternoon.

AS I'm typing this its now starting to thunder out there pretty good.

Wise Old Owl, Thank you much for the update from FL! Please keep us posted on the conditions and stay safe my friend! It is very helpful to learn firsthand the conditions down there...

The town leaders here have determined we are under a state of emergency and are recommending voluntary evacuations for those in low lying areas. The westward shift concerns me as we are at sea level. The next update from the New Hanover Co. Emergency management will be at 6 am tomorrow morning. We are packed and ready to go if need be.

Prayers everybody!

Turn east iRene!

wm

Wise Old Owl

That radar image is terrifying!!! I hope all are safe, and are able to get away from the storm if possible.

There evacuating parts of philly, and state of emergency in NJ.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back