Hurricane Irene barrels toward Puerto Rico, Possibly U.S.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
are you kidding? which wavy10 guy was it? that is unbelievable!

i would have normally seen it but was outside taking care of the yard.

i'm on a slab here, which i hate, actually. my last house had a full basement. loved that.

i'm still not noticing much in the way of prep being done around here but the gas station was packed. in the morning i think i'll make a final decision about staying or not. i don't care if i'm the only one who leaves, if my gut says go, we're out of here! my kids and dog are my world.......my stuff means zilch!

i thought i heard there was a special on tonight at 8 locally but i haven't found it.

i am dreading the electricity going out just bc where i'm at, it goes out early and stays out long. but if that's the worst of it, i will consider us blessed!
I just now logged in so sorry for the delay. I think I heard that parts of VB was being evacuated. Norfolk and other areas they are saying if you live in a flood prone area to evacuate. I was just reading wavy's facebook page and many are freaking out right now.

The guy on wavy in my other post wasn't a reporter it was a city official that was in the disaster preparedness meeting that was helped early this afternoon. I saw the video on Wavy10 online, after I posted I went back there to get the link of the video and it was gone. I logged off, and about an hour later I heard parts of VB were being evacuated. I guess someone called him on the carpet. lol

I live near Albany,NY. Our forecast is calling for tropical storm force winds and flooding on Sunday. I am driving my son to Wisconsin early Monday morning. How far west is this storm going to reach. Will I run into weather say in Buffalo on Monday morning? I don't mind some rain but not downpours that I can't see in. Anyone from central and western NY have a forcast?

Buffalo here! Seems like Buffalo/Niagara Falls may be the only clear spot in New York! Isn't that a switch? The 11PM news said clouds but that may be about it for us. I know where your coming from though. I have a son who's supposed to be heading to Syracuse for job training. Worried sick about this trip :(

PS-I have a funny feeling we may have a big influx of tourists visiting the Falls this weekend. Sounds like a good idea!

This storm is going to be really bad and I am afraid that the Northeast is not prepared at all. This storm is hugh and it will last for a very long time, even in places that do not get a direct hit. Emergency personnel will not be able to get out in the worst of it because of winds and flooding. Don't trust 'officials' to keep you safe. If you are on Long Island or in a coastal area, please go inland. PLEASE. Take your family and be safe. They cannot possibly evacuate all that need to leave, so take care of yourself ASAP. Don't wait and get stuck in traffic. Do it now. Be safe everyone.

Also, if you are thinking you might should leave then do it - especially if you have children. This storm will last for some time and it could be very tramatic for youngsters. If you are staying local, get with some friends or family who are on high ground and have newer construction built for storms.

southeast.gif

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/southeast.php

My husband is NOT taking this storm seriously and I am getting really worried about it. He keeps talking about hurricane Bob that we had in 90 or 91 and this storm is much bigger and stronger than Bob was but he doesn't get that. We are getting everything outside put away in the shed or the basement right now. He does not think we need to board up windows, yet we are expected to have 100mph wind and we have a long line of old, tall trees on our property on the south side of the house. If they come down they will be coming down on the house.

My husband is NOT taking this storm seriously and I am getting really worried about it. He keeps talking about hurricane Bob that we had in 90 or 91 and this storm is much bigger and stronger than Bob was but he doesn't get that. We are getting everything outside put away in the shed or the basement right now. He does not think we need to board up windows, yet we are expected to have 100mph wind and we have a long line of old, tall trees on our property on the south side of the house. If they come down they will be coming down on the house.

Misfitdolly;

Just ignore hubby and do what you think is best for safety for you and your family. Sometimes men like to downplay things so they are not showing fear or creating more panic. Stay safe.

Just extending a "be careful" and "hang in there" to my East Coast peeps. :grouphug:

They evacuated New York city! Wow. Be safe East coasters!

I am at JFK waiting for a flight right now. Holy crap is the nicest thing I can say!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Well to all of you in harms way stay safe and heed warnings if your able.
Not to be too sarcastic, but where was this level of concern when Katrina was on the horizon?

Well to all of you in harms way stay safe and heed warnings if your able.
Not to be too sarcastic, but where was this level of concern when Katrina was on the horizon?

I think because of katrina there have been lessons learned and that is a positive.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I'm in RI (Northern) and have literally cleaned up/placed *all* outside items in basement/garage. Have what I need (hopefully!), my own in other states have prepared, and hope all will remain safe.

Be safe.....

some tips that we do when a hurricane is threatening
1 Freeze small bottles of water and large bottles if you have time to protect perishables
2 Buy an inverter (that is something that changes 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC) so anything that you plug into a wall outlet you can plug into that. Doesn't last long for a tv , but for coffee, charge a phone, weather radio it works great.
3 Double bag your valuables, docs, jewelry and make sure you have your prescriptions
4 DON'T forget your pets and allow extra water for them. A gallon a day per human and I would allow that per large dog.Make sure if you don't have an ID on them use a permanent marker on their collar for contact info. Put their food in baggies.
5 baggies are great for everything you want to take with you.
6 cash

And if you have more ideas please add, stay safe all

oh one more thing, if you have a BBQ grill that runs on propane, make sure you have a fresh bottle on hand if you lose power. If its not a gas grill get plenty of briquettes. At least you can cook and boil water.
Also, fill up your bathtubs to the brim so you can use that water to flush toilets, somewhat bathe and have water on hand if you are without power for several days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mimimaria
Back