Hurricane Irene barrels toward Puerto Rico, Possibly U.S.

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sporatic good coverage by Ustreamers. Lots of links here: http://www.ustream.tv/blog/2011/08/26/hurricane-watch-on-ustream/

New links being added constantly. A few hours ago there were only three listed.

So wonder where geraldo is? On a yacht with JB and KC near the outerbanks? :innocent::seeya::innocent:

Geraldo was just on Fox, maybe half an hour ago. He's apparently in NY and moved his wife and child to safer accommodations. Apparently his home there is a high rise, not safe in a storm like this. He also mentioned taking care of his boat. I was sure you'd want to know this important info. :crazy: :floorlaugh:

A hurricane like this would provide a convenient opportunity for anyone wanting to "disappear". People would assume you were simply washed out to sea.

Also an opportune time to commit murder. No emergency services around to respond to 911 or investigate a death until after the storm. When first responders do get back in service, they will be dealing with a huge mess...petty crime, problems with electricity, water, and displaced people. Neighbors have evacuated, businesses are closed, cell phone towers will probably be damaged.

Sorry to sound so morbid, but crime and death is what we deal with here!

To all of our fellow sleuthers...be prepared and be safe!

My husband is NOT taking this storm seriously and I am getting really worried about it. He keeps talking about hurricane Bob that we had in 90 or 91 and this storm is much bigger and stronger than Bob was but he doesn't get that. We are getting everything outside put away in the shed or the basement right now. He does not think we need to board up windows, yet we are expected to have 100mph wind and we have a long line of old, tall trees on our property on the south side of the house. If they come down they will be coming down on the house.

(((((((((hugs))))))))))

Your husband is being foolish. If I were you I'd leave him there! Just pack up the car and go stay with a friend or relative, even if you have to drive a few hours to get there. Don't let him make you stay when you know better!

Do you have friends or a neighbor who haven't left yet? If you were my neighbor, I would insist that you ride along with my family to somewhere away from the storm.

Give him a sharpie and tell him to write his SS# on his arm and chest so they'll be able to identify his body if he isn't washed out to sea!

Maybe he'll give in and go with you if you get all packed up, but don't wait for him. He's a big boy, and he is definitely not taking care of you, so don't feel like you have to keep him company, just go!

I hope I haven't offended you by being so blunt. I have a hubby who sometimes tries to be a dictator even when he knows he is wrong. I just have to be firm and let him know that if he wants to make a foolish decision, count me out! God gave me good sense for a reason!

Take care and let us know that you are okay!

Just a reminder of a hard learned fact: cordless phones do not work when there is no electricity. If you have an older phone that simply goes into the wall and works...dig it out.

Been peeking at this cam off and on since you posted this link and I about had a heart attack --- I thought the pier was going. (Of course the kc case prepared me well....)
Ireneillusion.jpg

It was an ILLUSION - scared me though.

I'm doing great, not until tomorrow late will I get a little 70mph winds, tonight rain only a few drops so far, some wind feeder bands but nothing big. What Norfolk got early this evening before sunset. I'm up in Gloucester, County VA. The cone narrowed a lot, and I heard that Irene might even go more east, off the coast of where Norfolk is. If that happens I'll get some tropical force winds only.

I'm doing a happy dance right now for myself.

A hurricane like this would provide a convenient opportunity for anyone wanting to "disappear". People would assume you were simply washed out to sea.

Also an opportune time to commit murder. No emergency services around to respond to 911 or investigate a death until after the storm. When first responders do get back in service, they will be dealing with a huge mess...petty crime, problems with electricity, water, and displaced people. Neighbors have evacuated, businesses are closed, cell phone towers will probably be damaged.

Sorry to sound so morbid, but crime and death is what we deal with here!

To all of our fellow sleuthers...be prepared and be safe!

Leave it to one of us to think like that!!! But I totally agree!!

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm

I think there is a chance that IRENE will start to really turn NE a lot and not hit NJ at all. We will see but my gut tells me NJ will be fine. The coast will get storm water but inland no fear for the winds at all.

Irene is landfalling a few counties north of us but even tho we didn't take a direct hit, she is one wicked storm! The wind and rain has been going for almost 24 hours. Last night the water in the canal breached the bulkhead and there has at least 3 feet of water in the road. We have some windows leaking and one window is creaking and sounds like the whole thing, facing and all, is going to blow out! I am holding my breath...

We only had a voluntary evacuation so we stayed. I wish we had left.

WS family, if you are in the path of Irene and are told to evacuate then GO! This is not a storm to mess around with!

Stay safe everyone!

wm

Hint--if your power goes out, turn off the main circuit breaker and unplug appliances.

If your ceiling starts to leak badly, take a little saw or screwdriver and make holes around the leak. Helps the water drain out instead of soaking all over. Of course, it'll still soak but maybe it won't be so bad and it might help keep the entire ceiling from falling in.

If you have water damage afterward, it's important to both get hold of your insurance company and call a water removal company such as ServiceMaster or ServicePro. There's lots of these companies out there. Our insurance company sent one but you can also call one yourself.

Remember if you have roof damage, call FEMA and register. Ask to be put on the Army Corp of Engineers list. They come out for free and put tarps on the house. Of course, you can put your own tarp on but their tarps last. And roofing materials might be in short supply after the storm. Took us 5 months to get a new roof and others in our area waited longer. Oh, yeah, call a roofer immediately because they'll have waiting lists. They'll put tarps on the house for a fee if you can't do it yourself--I think we paid $250 back in 2004. Then we had the Army Corp of Engineers do it too but it takes a couple/few weeks for them to get there. They did our entire neighborhood, free. In the meantime, tho, get a tarp somehow and do it yourself or your insurance company will crab if you later have more damage and didn't get a temp repair right away.

If you have damage and have to call insurance co and they lowball the amt of damage, fight it and ask for another adjuster. All adjusters are different in their opinions.

Been thru three direct hits and it's sure not fun. :(

Oh, yeah...keep receipts for every cent you spend on repairs, food, lodging, etc. And keep a list with prices or an estimate of prices of all food you lose due to the power being off. Inventory spoiled food as you throw it out, that's what I did. Our insurance company had no deductible for spoiled food but things might have changed since 2004 but still keep a list.

wm;

If you have a tall book case have someone help you move it in front of that window. Or a mattress, but it may get ruined. If nothing else, tack a heavy quilt around it so if it blows in, the glass, wood, and plaster or whatever materials do not hit you.

Today Show said this hurricane is as big as Europe. Although a Cat 1 will cause lots of damage.

Stay safe everyone, stay calm, and stay away from the windows or cover yourself with something if there is no way away from them.

I took everthing loose off my patio, including some potted plants. The rest, the heavy ones are shoved together in a corner where, hopefully, they will keep each other in place. Some of my neighbors have everything still on their balconies/patios. If I see them I'll mention it. I have to move my car to a safe place, away from any trees and/or flying debris.

I have all my supplies in, water, food, candles, batteries, booze and cigs. Tomorrow's dinner will be smoked oysters from the can, stewed tomatoes, and cold, cooked corn on the cob - I love cold corn.

Stay safe everyone.

Irene is landfalling a few counties north of us but even tho we didn't take a direct hit, she is one wicked storm! The wind and rain has been going for almost 24 hours. Last night the water in the canal breached the bulkhead and there has at least 3 feet of water in the road. We have some windows leaking and one window is creaking and sounds like the whole thing, facing and all, is going to blow out! I am holding my breath...

We only had a voluntary evacuation so we stayed. I wish we had left.

WS family, if you are in the path of Irene and are told to evacuate then GO! This is not a storm to mess around with!

Stay safe everyone!

wm

It's important that if the window goes and you're still having hurricane force winds, close the door to the room if you can and take cover immediately until this thing is over. The wind, if high enough, can come through the window and lift up the roof. No kidding. This is why they recommend not cracking windows (as is recommended, I think, in other storms).

If the wind isn't that bad and you can move something in front of that window, do so, if only to try to minimize damage if it breaks. Maybe old blankets and towels underneath it for easier glass pickup. But don't risk yourself to do it.

Yes, please stay safe. Thinking of you...and all in Irene's path.

21merc7, The window is behind the bed that dear bf is sleeping in. He just came to bed when I woke up this morning. I woke him and told him but he says it's not gonna blow out. I am not so sure...eek! I lowered the rattan shade and the headboard should stop it somewhat. Ya'll know how men are:D.

Trident, your dinner plans sound wonderful! BF took our cars to the police station parking lot. I guess it should be safe there, lol!

What'sthatclue, Thank you for the helpful info!

This is a fierce, longlasting storm! the condo is swaying so much that the toilet water is sloshing around! Stay safe everyone!

wm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back