Hurricane Irene barrels toward Puerto Rico, Possibly U.S.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If it makes you feel any better, or Mr Hard Head, tell him you are not alone! The entire coastal line is on party feed now. Just talked with a friend that still works in the restaurant biz, says they are packed and out the door, wall to wall bloody maries, mimosas, and beers. Yes, people in this town go out right before and during natural disasters for some reason, I think it is so they can drink with others. You can drink here with us, until Mr Hard Head takes a glass. Lol! :crazy:

LOL!!! Mr Hardhead just walked upstairs for breakfast with our neighbor. I declined the invite and told him I am drinking my breakfast. But that I would have a shot of Tequila poured for him when he returns!!!:woohoo: (his eyes lit up)

21merc7, are you in Irene's path? If so, then please stay safe my friend.

Seriously, to everyone, when conditions deterioted yesterday morning, things deteriorated quickly. Irene's verocity is relentless...it has been constant brutal winds and rain. IDK if it's because she is so big, slow moving or what. I've rode out quite a few storms and each one has their own 'personality'. irene is unique because she has NOT let up one bit. She has moved north of us now and we are getting her backside.:innocent:
but her backside is just as ferocious as when she entered the room. She is a very wet storm, there are reports of trees down in Wilmington because of the saturated soil. Mr. Hard Head sez the beach is very eroded and that the surf appears to have breached the dunes as the growth is smashed. This makes me sad as we had some sea turtle nests!

Just be prepared for a long ride if need be and stay safe and check in with updates please. I want you all to be safe!

On a positive note, the sun just shown thru for a brief moment.:great:

wm

slideshow of Irene's wrath in SE NC........

http://www.wect.com/slideshow?widgetid=35396

ETA

Dang, I just saw video of Virginia Beach on the Weather Channel. The conditions look brutal. Prayers to those in Irene's path!

I just stepped outside for the first time today and the wind is still howling and the rain is still stinging here in the Cape Fear area.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone in a million years but if I had a wish for Irene's path, i would wish that she had tracked to TX. Texas is on fire and those folks would probably welcome a good soaking. TX residents are selling their calfs because they have no grass to feed them.

BTW that window is still creaking.....

wm

Stay safe everyone. Appreciate the updates from those enduring Irenes wrath. Ya i would be indulging for sure.

Prayers and good thoughts to all involved, so so many people's lives and homes in danger. I always pace when the weather is bad or the power goes out - I cannot imagine. Instead of alcohol, I overdose on coffee, make a pot for the thermos if it even gets cloudy here.

All this waiting is killing me... I went to the grocery store for a few additional items this morning, and it was much less busy than it was on Thursday (I should have waited!). It was so funny though, everyone (including me) on line had tons of junk food - chips, baked goods, candy etc- and no one had the usual (milk bread eggs and water). That's all the people on line had on Thursday though!
I live in SE PA. They're predicting 40-50 mph winds and 5-10 inches of rain here. This August, we had already broken the record for most rain ever in Aug, so the ground is already saturated, and soft. At least I live up on top of a huge hill. I am surrounded by hundreds feet tall trees... and I am just dreading the clean-up from this. Not to mention, my power will definitely go out, as this area is terrible with that. I have a job interview on Tuesday morning, I hope I have power so I can at least take a shower!!!!!!!
Stay safe everyone. I'm worried about my folks. They live on the bayfront in eastern LI. The last bad one they got (Gloria) they were stuck in their neighborhood for 5 days due to flooding, and without power for 2 weeks. They're older now (late 70's) and I really worry about them...

Yep, in the path, just the beginning here, lots of rain and wind, will hit in a few hours harder.

Lol at the junk food buying! At least it is non-perishable if the power goes out. The stores here sold out of milk, bread, and dried beans, like they always do in any storm, hurricane or snow. I always wonder how are they going to cook the dried beans if no power or gas???

Batteries are all sold out, generators, flashlights. Everyone bought them yesterday, the memories remained from the last big storm.

Shut down all plane, train, and bus transport in or out last night. Never happened before.

Now, where is that shot of tequila? I don't have any of that, but I do have the box of juice (err, 3/4 of it), cold or warm, it still helps to calm the nerves or just not worry about it.

Heck, can't worry 'til it is over and see what ya' got to live with. :)

I'm sending up Prayers of Safekeeping for our fellow WS's that may be touched by Hurricane Irene.

Please know that your friends all over the map are thinking of you guys through this ordeal. It may sound silly, but we're with you in spirit.

Please, stay safe! :blowkiss:

You all on the east coast are on my mind and in my prayers. I'll be here to provide support for you as so many of you lended a shoulder to me this morning.

The skies are lighter here so I am relaxed and feeling better and am lying down for a much needed nap.

If anyone provides a round of tequila shots or fresh brewed coffee during my absence, please save one for me!

prayers and blessings! wm

but weren't the people in Irene's path told to evacuate????? and we should feel sorry for them as with Katrina?

Governor said people were selfish for staying, meaning volunteers would have to be put in harms way to rescue them..including firefighters, police, etc.

They all had plenty of time, so stick it out if your possessions mean more to you than the lives of your family.

but weren't the people in Irene's path told to evacuate????? and we should feel sorry for them as with Katrina?

Governor said people were selfish for staying, meaning volunteers would have to be put in harms way to rescue them..including firefighters, police, etc.

They all had plenty of time, so stick it out if your possessions mean more to you than the lives of your family.

We were not told to leave by anyone. They are evacuating all the low lying areas but not where we are, 135 feet above sea level. If we were told to leave I would be the first one out.

Nothing about evacuation here. Told it will be a bad storm, could do billions in damage, stay inside. That is it. No warnings, no pleadings, no nothing. In fact, loads from NC have come here to stay, all hotels fully booked!

Winds only at 60 mph here right now.

Good lord, just moved here (CT) three weeks ago from CA and what do I get??? No belongings yet (truck is on it's way) an earthquake (unheard of here) and NOW Irene, lol. My DH has been here for a year or so, and he doesn't think it will be any big deal. We live in the middle of the state, so I am hoping for the best...

Just popping in to say stay safe to my websleuths family that are in the path of this hurricane.

There are 3 emergency shelters in Phila., the one closest to me is near Pennypack Creek, and a bunch of trees, go figure. Raining now in Philly, occasional wind gust. Not expecting much until late tonight. Not a D battery to be found in the neighborhood. The dollar store had tons of milk, no batteries, line was not too bad.

Supposed to get major wind gusts, one neighbor put his outdoor stuff up. One on a street full of rowhomes with patios. I'm looking at 5 houses across the street with chairs, grills, trashcans, patio umbrellas, kids ride ons, and a planter. Guess alot of people think the power will go out with the flooding, but don't think the wind is a problem. Taped my windows, some of this stuff is going flying tonight. Already have the coffeepot set up for the thermos (here ya go WM), junk food, flashlights, candles and charged everything that can be.

Stay safe everyone !!

I just finished making a second pot of coffee. One for the fridge, one for the thermos. When we had Hurricane Floyd pull through here I lost 4 trees and couldn't get up or down my driveway for 4 days due to trees... but it wasn't the wind, it was the rain that did it. The ground gets so soft with all this rain that it takes very little to topple trees.
Hi Snackcakes! We're almost neighbors -I'm out in Chester County:seeya:

I've been through plenty of earthquakes, large and small, but I've never been though a hurricane. I've been watching the live footage of H. Irene on the news today, and I'm in awe of the storm's power.

The thing about earthquakes is, of course, there is no warning. They hit when they hit, and you never know where you will be, etc. That is such a contrast to some of these hurricanes, where people are sometimes given advance notice days ahead of time.

I was wondering, does that advance notice make the anticipation more exciting, or just that much more stressful & frightening?

The anticipation makes me anxious ! I have been up since early this am, wondering what else I can do. All objects are removed from my porch and yard, but very few others heeded that warning. Many people take a carefree attitude, but not me!!! Malls are closing, busses and trains will shut down tonight. My middle daughter is still at work, and I want her to come home. Bless all those in Irene's path. Take care, everyone.

Pat S

Rain has just hit allentown. Wind is picking up too. Stay safe!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0
Back