Hurricane Irma - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I'm hearing it sounds as though the shelters are located in the areas of the hurricane. Are they just further away from the ocean, thus less chance of flooding? And perhaps the buildings more sturdy than the average house to withstand high winds? I guess I was thinking the shelters would be set up further away, outside the area of the hurricane. What I'm most concerned about is, are the shelters really safe? TIA , just hope everyone's good and stays safe. (((Hugs and prayers)))

Pat Cavlin‏ @pcavlin[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]UPDATED IMPACTS: Wind will be a huge threat across Mid GA on MON. 40-60 mph sustained with gusts 70+; Widespread power outages likely [/FONT]#Irma

Meanwhile in Valdosta GA... behind the scenes!

"We are almost ready for all the power companies from all over southeast they will start rolling in at 730am 124 trailers sleeps 12 each with air conditioning 6 portable showers with 6 stalls each 125 Porter Jon's 60 portable sinks"

Please pray for all these linemen!
As a mom of a lineman, I am petrified!
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1951367238213125&id=100000196027240

9e6a8b8cff96cd76f6d469430b241bef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The mayor of Cape Coral said to evacuate now and that shelters are filling up quickly!

180,000 people, almost all property is single storey and at sea level, and there are just a couple of roads and bridges out.

That ain't good.

GFS has Jose hitting the east coast around VA northwards and Euro is starting to hint at landfall as well moo

The 2:00 EURO model shows a tick further West from GFS...not good because it has a bit more time over water. You can See The initial approach to Naples slightly offshore in the first pic. The 2nd pic shows the center sitting on Tampa.

If you are in an evacuation zone, leave. This storm will grow as it leaves Cuba. Go to the nearest shelter NOW.

This scenario will cause serious wind consequences to South GA as the storm moves west with the strong side flowing acoss the area.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/ana...=seus&pkg=mslp_uv850&runtime=2017090912&fh=48

498d9ccf35521fd0f651b52fdb991ce7.jpg
a8cd092823fa0903790ae443bb13c3ad.jpg

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

From what I'm hearing it sounds as though the shelters are located in the areas of the hurricane. Are they just further away from the ocean, thus less chance of flooding? And perhaps the buildings more sturdy than the average house to withstand high winds? I guess I was thinking the shelters would be set up further away, outside the area of the hurricane. What I'm most concerned about is, are the shelters really safe? TIA , just hope everyone's good and stays safe. (((Hugs and prayers)))

Yes, they are opening more schools as shelters, most likely on higher ground, for those fleeing the west coast from up to 15 feet of water from the gulf. They don't want people to drive far like they had the rest of Florida because the storm should hit the area within 24 hours and the rest of the State and Georgia are already full.

GFS has Jose hitting the east coast around VA northwards and Euro is starting to hint at landfall as well moo
Yep...but wouldn't get to excited...based on the significant change in models and westher patterns that we just experienced.

10 days ago, the models told me that I was sitting in destruction here in Charleston. Thank goodness, it's sunny outside and I'm safe.

Although, my parents live at the GA/FL line. I'm trying to get them to create a plan B to evacuate to a shelter....but they are not listening.

This is the GFS you mentioned. We have to be vigilant and prepared.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/ana...=eus&pkg=mslp_uv850&runtime=2017090912&fh=240
3f232b48a98c6f15c1a9c161e3d69194.jpg

Collier, Lee shelters filling fast as evacuees try to flock to safety - more Shelters opening now

Thousands of people waited overnight for Germain Arena to open as a shelter Saturday, forming a line that snaked around the grounds by morning and has only grown through the day as more evacuees looked for safety in the face of overwhelmed shelters.

Collier County ordered additional evacuations in North Naples and East Naples and opened five new shelters Saturday in Golden Gate and Immokalee, at least some of which quickly filled to capacity.

By 10:30 a.m. Saturday, 20 shelters had been opened in Collier County, giving refuge to 11,872 people.

At 12 noon, the county added four more shelters to the list – within 20 minutes the new shelter at Vineyards Elementary was full. By 12:35 p.m., Highlands Elementary had space for only 170 people.

Officials on site were redirecting evacuees looking for refuge from Hurricane Irma to Germain Arena in Lee County, where cars were waiting in a two-mile line.

As of 1 p.m., 14,400 evacuees had packed into Collier County hurricane shelters with time running out.

Summers said the county planned to open several more bare-bones shelters Saturday for self-sufficient evacuees, Summers said. They will be open to pets that are crated, but very little in supplies will be in the buildings.

Lee County opened three new shelters at 2 p.m.:

• Mirror Lakes Elementary School, 525 Charwood Ave. South, Lehigh Acres

• North Fort Myers Academy for the Arts, 1856 Arts Way, North Fort Myers

• Harns Marsh Elementary School, 1800 Unice Avenue N, Lehigh Acres

http://www.naplesnews.com/story/wea...ing-fast-evacuees-try-flock-safety/649555001/

To be honest the sherters are no safer than anywhere else

let think about this

when talking about a wind event there is no way to predict a powerful wind gust that rips my roof off

the same applies to some shelter 6 miles away

I think this becomes more and more relevant the more they have been forced to open

For Katrina the Super Dome was described as a a shelter of last resort -- and look how great that worked out with the roof flying off

toilets backing up and out

As more and more are opening (especially chruches and schools)

katrina_anniversary012.jpg

0828_OAG_superdome-katrina.jpg

she is deceased -- there was more than one

katrina-cadavres_m_0.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1.....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.10.668...0.-_Tz1EIESxw

these are old tired buildings built to totally different standards

imo for what its worth honestly only storm surge models can have some merit in terms of evacuating .

jmo

This makes me so nervous. Okay, I will admit I have already been tense for the past couple of days but this ups it. lol

Tallahassee is only 90 miles away from us. :(

I have been watching the skies and our giant trees on our property and I noticed about an hour ago the wind is picking up and the top parts of the trees are beginning to sway back and forth. Thank goodness our largest trees aren't up around our home any longer. In December of last year we had 12 large pecan, pines, and oak trees cut down that sat closer to our home. I am even happier now that we decided to do it. Although the other tall trees left sit about 250 feet from the side of our home and I know they can be uprooted slamming into our home if the wind gets high like predicted for our area.

I am continuing to pray for everyone's safety in all of the areas where Irma may hit. What I hope more than anything is it wont be as bad as first thought but it will soon hit very warm waters the closer to land it gets and that is very worrisome.

Our daughter and granddaughter lives in Mexico Beach and our daughter called today saying her boat and one of her vehicles is still there at her home and she was thinking about going back to bring both to Georgia. I told her I felt that was a bad idea and she would have to tow the large boat back with the winds getting higher. I told her to not go back and finally she agreed. Not one material possession in the world is ever worth risking lives.

I hate this for you, oceanblueeyes. Hate it that you're dealing with the additional worry now. The hurricane, your trees, etc.

I was so relieved when your dh made it home alright. I thought the worst was over for you. When I posted this morning, I thought all your family was with you. Sounds like your daughter and granddaughter from Mexico Beach may be still on their way to your house though.

You gave her good advice about it being a bad idea to haul a boat with high winds. Not worth the risk.

Glad to hear too that you got many of the trees removed that were near your home. You've done everything right to prepare.

I still feel that you and your family will ride this out just fine, but I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers though.

Please keep us posted...

Kind of hard to believe that only last Saturday we went to Red Barn Flea Market in Bradenton and the weather was beautiful. Now it's Irma. :\

It is one of the most awesome flea markets I've ever visited, and HUGE. Hope it survives Irma, they closed for the hurricane...

Here comes the water over the wall at the Southernmost Point:

[video=youtube;X7ld45pUueQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ld45pUueQ[/video]

Westhernation just stated already 40,000 power outages in South FL from the outerbands of the storm coming on shore.

Yes, they are opening more schools as shelters, most likely on higher ground, for those fleeing the west coast from up to 15 feet of water from the gulf. They don't want people to drive far like they had the rest of Florida because the storm should hit the area within 24 hours and the rest of the State and Georgia are already full.

Ok, thanks for explaining, I'm a little behind on all that's going on. Just learned the hurricane had changed course, so that makes total sense. Not enough time now to flee the state. Is anyone here in its path? Cariis, aren't you down there somewhere?

Here comes the water over the wall at the Southernmost Point:

[video=youtube;X7ld45pUueQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7ld45pUueQ[/video]

And cars are still driving by and people walking up and taking pictures! :gaah:Get out people! :panic:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08