Hurricane Irma

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you absolutely Amazon has increased their prices on bottled water. I tried to order some yesterday and as I was ordering it, I got notified I won't be able to receive it for 5-7 days. So I cancelled the order. In 5-7 days?!?! And I'm an amazon prime member. A 24 pack of water was definitely priced at $25 or more yesterday. There were also no big jugs of water available either.

I decided to check out Amazon, you can not buy ANY cases of water (they must be sold out at the $2-$5 a case range) - BUT you can buy a case through one of their 3rd party sellers:

Prices for 24 - 8 oz bottles:

$90 and free shipping: https://www.amazon.com/Nestle-Pure-...rd_wg=0RbJY&psc=1&refRID=7TXH3D0TZQDJ470TA62H
$135 and free shipping: [https://www.amazon.com/Nestle-Pure-...rd_wg=0RbJY&psc=1&refRID=7TXH3D0TZQDJ470TA62H
$225 and free shipping: https://www.amazon.com/Nestle-Pure-...rd_wg=0RbJY&psc=1&refRID=7TXH3D0TZQDJ470TA62H

WOW! :scared:

In the meantime, can't forget No Way, Jose:

Tropical storm Jose is following Hurricane Irma into the Caribbean and its wind speed is also predicted to reach hurricane levels. The NHC said it believed the storm's effects could be felt in the northernmost parts of the Lesser Antilles island chain by early next week.

TROPICAL STORM JOSE:
5f0e0b57-8864-458c-8fa9-a70b8f2939cf.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...damage-landfall-victims-a7931771.html#gallery

I would hope he goes near where she was the water ought to be cooler!!

Already almost 200 people have taken haven in five shelters opened by the city authorities in San Juan. The mayor said that such voluntary action was a sign of how on edge Puerto Ricans are about the pending storm, the eye of which is expected to come within 50 or 60 miles.

k3QBTKd_IUhHNPKL.jpg

#hurricaneirma arriving in San Juan @ABCWorldNews @ABC pic.twitter.com/wR152jMeuP

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/sep/06/hurricane-irma-caribbean-islands-category-5-storm

In Bayamón, a municipality outside San Juan, a student at the University of Puerto Rico, said that supermarkets and building merchants were all closed, presenting local people with difficulties preparing for the worst. Water was in short supply days ago, and most houses are still without storm protection because supplies of wood, rope and other materials for boarding up windows were impossible to acquire.

“People are anxious about what’s coming,” he said.

Yahoo Finance is reporting that airline customers looking to get out of the path of Hurricane have been met with dramatic fare spikes for air travel tickets:

DI--5JBXoAAk5YP.jpg

Shame on you @delta. Jacking from $547 to over $3200 for people trying to evacute responsibly? #IrmaHurricane pic.twitter.com/O2nfPHQUAh

in another story:

On Monday evening, John Lyons, a 53-year-old father from West Hartford, Connecticut, purchased a one-way American Airlines ticket from Miami to Hartford for $159.20 for his daughter to get out of Hurricane Irma’s path as the storm churns through the Caribbean.

On Tuesday, he was shocked at the spike in airfare prices. ‘I logged in and expected to see $160, and frankly if I had seen $260 I wouldn’t have reacted. And I logged in and saw, $1,020, and I about had a heart attack,’ Lyons told Yahoo Finance in a phone interview on Tuesday afternoon.

Although Hurricane Irma poses no direct threat to where he lives, he has been following the storm’s developments. ‘I’m seeing the direct hit on Florida. My daughter is down at the University of Miami, so I called her and said, ‘I’m going to bring you home. If worst comes to worst, we waste money, and you don’t come home, and this thing misses you, and everything is fine.’ I logged in last night and saw $159.20 to be exact. I said you know what; this ticket is so cheap, I’m just going to buy it.’

The next day, he went back to look for a ticket for his daughter’s roommate, who is also a close family friend’s daughter. Shocked at the price increase, he said he even made sure that he didn’t click first class by accident and he also verified that the flight had pretty much the same number of seats available compared to when he checked last night.

‘American Airlines had the audacity to raise the rate $800. I’m sorry. I posted it. You know, I’m angry. I think it’s horrible what they are doing. I just think it’s horrible. I’ll leave it at that.’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/sep/06/hurricane-irma-caribbean-islands-category-5-storm

Thanks for asking & good evening, CARIIS :)

My family is staying local. Meanwhile, I could stay locally too or a variety of different places throughout the State (my anticipatory anxiety went into overload and I hedged my bets with reservations)! I will have to cancel tomorrow & commit to a specific location.....ugh! The dang Hurricane spaghetti models keep jumping all over making decisions very difficult.

The issues with where to go is this: driving all over the State by myself isn't smart.....
Gasoline issues? Traffic jams? Crime?
It's all a bit scary so I may just stay fairly local & pray no 50ft swells.

What are your plans?

Not CARIIS, of course, but I can't help but worry about you. I remember you said you live on one of the barrier islands there. Makes me nervous.

I know you'll do everything in your power to stay safe, and I pray Irma stays far away from you.

I don't live in Irma's path, but I'm a terrible worrywart for anyone that might. So please keep us posted...

ALERT! as of 10:45 am EAST COAST FEED INTO MID FLORIDA CONNECTOR TRAFFIC FOR EVACUATION INCREASING SIGNIFICANTLY and is combining with West Coast Florida Feed

ALERT!!! Sarasota to Ocala Florida is RED! TRAFFIC NOW!!!

Within last hour, MAJOR CHANGE ( :moo: :cow: ) on Florida interstates on the west coast! This is NOT rush hour, this is evacuation traffic imho. Just a shout out for folks I know here who have posted and are on the west coast. They may not have seen the models change more easterly this am... just sayin'. What is bad about Florida evacuations, is that both coasts meet in the middle half way up the state.

View attachment 122745

View attachment 122745

ETA: Ooopsie, forgot the link which will give updated traffic vs. my screenshot

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.3122298,-80.6200001,7z/data=!5m1!1e1

11:15 Update. It appears that now the folks from the east coast or Orlando are evacuating, and everyone is meeting up in the middle of the state heading north. :gaah: My family left at 5:30 this am and crossed over the FL/GA border two hours ago so had no traffic. 2 other friends, say it's a parking lot/slow on the interstates now.

MapUpdate1115am-10-6.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.3122298,-80.6200001,6z/data=!5m1!1e1
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.3122298,-80.6200001,6z/data=!5m1!1e1

Fema goes broke Friday they are meeting

Bloomberg reports FEMA only had $1.01 billion on hand as of 10 am ET Tuesday, with just $541 million of that "immediately available" for response and recovery efforts. The spend rate at the agency as Harvey assistance continues is $9.3 million per hour.

At that rate, the agency will be completely drained when Irma strikes, unless Congress approves additional funding this week. The Trump administration has asked lawmakers to add nearly $8 billion to FEMA's cofers. A vote on that is expected in the House of Representatives Wednesday, with the Senate to follow shortly thereafter. There is some speculation the Senate may attach a rider suspending the federal debt limit to the FEMA funding bill, which would require another vote by the House.

Harvey is expected to be the most expensive hurricane in U.S. history and Irma is being called "catastrophic" by storm watchers. Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Jose, also brewing in the Atlantic, is expected to become a hurricane later today.

Hurricane season, meanwhile, doesn't hit its peak for another four days—and doesn't end until Nov. 30.

http://fortune.com/2017/09/06/fema-out-of-money/

Cruises Cancelled:

Carnival scrubbed Thursday's departure of the 2,974-passenger Carnival Liberty and Friday's departure of the 2,758-passenger Carnival Victory. The ships are based in Port Canaveral and Miami, respectively, and were both scheduled to sail to The Bahamas.

Disney canceled Saturday's sailing of the 2,500-passenger Disney Fantasy and the Friday and Monday sailings of the 2,500-passenger Disney Dream. Both vessels are based in Port Canaveral and also were Bahamas bound.

Royal Caribbean had canceled two sailings to The Bahamas scheduled to begin on Friday aboard the 2,350-passenger Majesty of the Seas and the 2,446-passenger Enchantment of the Seas. The vessels are based in Port Canaveral, Fla., and Miami, respectively. Royal Caribbean late Tuesday added Saturday's voyage of the 1,840-passenger, Tampa-based Empress of the Seas to its list of canceled departures.

Norwegian has canceled Friday's departure of the 2,004-passenger Norwegian Sky and Saturday's departure of the 4,248-passenger Norwegian Escape. Both ships are based in Miami.

Also canceled is the Saturday departure of MSC Cruises' 3,502-passenger MSC Divina.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...e-sailings-irma-approaches-florida/636554001/

Vessels heading back to Florida ports ahead of schedule include Norwegian Sky, Norwegian Escape, Disney Fantasy, Disney Dream and MSC Divina.

Other ships scheduled to return to Florida over the weekend will delay their return to avoid the storm. They include Royal Caribbean's Florida-based Harmony of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas — the world's three biggest cruise ships.

Royal Caribbean said Harmony's Saturday departure will be pushed back to Tuesday. The Sunday departures of Oasis and Allure will be delayed to Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively. All three vessels will sail shortened voyages, and passengers have the option of canceling the trips.

More than half a dozen other ships are operating drastically modified itineraries this week to avoid the storm, with many switching from Eastern Caribbean to Western Caribbean routes. They include five Carnival vessels: Carnival Glory, Carnival Magic, Carnival Splendor, Carnival Pride and Carnival Ecstasy.

Crossing fingers and everything else that it can still work out alright for you. Dang it anyway, you deserve your first vacation in five years!

You're doing your homework. Contacting Delta and your motel.

I don't believe that either of them would willingly put you or others in harm's way.

Praying that Irma misses the Dominican Republic completely. Please keep us posted.

P.S. By the way, I hope your little one is feeling better too. You've sure been through it all with Harvey, and now worrying about Irma.

A sick child too? You really need to catch a break here...

Thank you so much - man what a couple rough few months. Back surgery, fainted and got a concussion, only to break my toe and tear my tendon in a freak accident and have surgery for that, too. Just got off crutches about a month ago. I feel terrible even worrying about my vacation when these poor people are literally fighting for their lives in this nasty storm. My love and light and thoughts are being sent out to all. As of today we may need to push back the trip, should know more in the next 24 hours.

My little one will be so disappointed, she has had a running countdown...but better safe than sorry. Any insight about #nowayJose, and whether he may follow the same track? Trying to figure if we are going to make it only to get hit by him on the backend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if so inclined might be helpful if we know exactly where each of us are in the state

I am Orlando

I wanted to ask this before, but was not sure it would be polite. Thanks, CARIIS. perhaps we can keep a running list, if you all could copy just the list and then add your location? if you suddenly had to leave or lost power, we would have a better idea if we should be highly worried about you. :grouphug".

So here we go:

Screen name with location list

CARIIS = Orlando

Thank you so much - man what a couple rough few months. Back surgery, fainted and got a concussion, only to break my toe and tear my tendon in a freak accident and have surgery for that, too. Just got off crutches about a month ago. I feel terrible even worrying about my vacation when these poor people are literally fighting for their lives in this nasty storm. My love and light and thoughts are being sent out to all. As of today we may need to push back the trip, should know more in the next 24 hours.

My little one will be so disappointed, she has had a running countdown...but better safe than sorry. Any insight about #nowayJose, and whether he may follow the same track? Trying to figure if we are going to make it only to get hit by him on the backend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's ok to be worried about your vacay even when others are having a hard time. It's just the way life is. Sometimes we have the hard times...sometimes it's others. If we take care of ourselves we can help others when it's needed. A vacay will help you re-charge.

LOL I always loved Chad back in his Detroit days. Hubby and I ran into him at Detroit airport with his wife. I stated to his wife after some convo. "Oh did you know I wake up with your husband every morning" They thought it was funny. I meant wake up to your husband not with. Lordy!!!!

Do you mean Sandy Heng who was an investigative reporter on WXYZ? Whatever happened to her? Before they both left Detroit, I read they were getting divorced. He went to CNN in Atlanta, and she took an assignment with a TV station elsewhere. IIRC, they met at University of Nebraska.

The airport in St. Maarten:

[video=twitter;905427190828998656]https://twitter.com/airplusnews/status/905427190828998656[/video]

Here is St. Barts:

[video=twitter;905395560022233090]https://twitter.com/pau_lallement/status/905395560022233090[/video]

Irma video from Anguilla:

https://twitter.com/kurtsiegelin/status/905463628995981312

DJDKN7JW4AA5Rsq.jpg:large

[video=twitter;905447198166581248]https://twitter.com/JamesGWeather/status/905447198166581248[/video]

I can't get any of the cameras over at earthcam.com to load up. Is it just my computer or is Irma screwing with EVERYTHING out there?

Do you mean Sandy Heng who was an investigative reporter on WXYZ? Whatever happened to her? Before they both left Detroit, I read they were getting divorced. He went to CNN in Atlanta, and she took an assignment with a TV station elsewhere. IIRC, they met at University of Nebraska.

Yep. That's how long ago it was. Yes they did divorce. No idea what happened to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState