Hurricane Irma

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charleston is seeing short supplies like other cities. Several grocery stores and large centers like Cisco have run out of water. Some gas stations are running low also.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

I've always feared Islands...
DH really wants to go to St Martin but it's always made me nervous....

I loved St. Maarten, went there about 5 years ago, even my kids want to go back for a land vacation. We were on a cruise and only spent a day watching the planes land on Maho Beach, but the people were so friendly, the taxi driver, store merchants, loved all the stores in port, great bargains and selection. Next time I would want to spend some time on the French side.

Our cruise went from San Juan and stopped in St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St Kitts, St. Maarten. I loved this cruise!

We've also been to St. John and the BVIs of Jost Van Dyke, Tortola, and Virgin Gorda.

I loved all of these island, it just breaks my heart when I saw the pictures especially from St. Maarten, St. John, Jost Van Dyke and Tortola.

To demonstrate the wide cone of uncertainty, take a look at the GFS model and the EURO models from today. Notice how tight the lines of the various model runs until approaching Florida.

The models are continuing to demonstrate uncertainty because the results have more variability with more possible options. When the models show one line for publication, it represents the mean of all the model results. When dealing with hurricanes, especially a huge one, an average is sometimes just not good enough. IMO

http://spaghettimodels.com
23658e45b4cca4cf444f12bb9649f6a0.jpg
1e454784cfc5172f67a0fe679c0dcbe0.jpg

Thank you Henry for all your info here and with Harvey. Lets hope we don't need a Jose thread!!!!

Thank you Henry for all your info here and with Harvey. Lets hope we don't need a Jose thread!!!!
Your welcome. I hope my contribution helps keep us all safe. And hoping we don't need a Lee thread!! [emoji38] [emoji38]

Your welcome. I hope my contribution helps keep us all safe. And hoping we don't need a Lee thread!! [emoji38] [emoji38]

I hear you. Relentless this is.

I know this may be a little late but better late than never. I've heard that some folks don't want to leave because of their pets. I'd be one of those folks. I can't imagine having to leave them behind. I ran across this in my feed and thought I'd share.

Thirty states have some type of animal planning in place in the event of a disaster. The first link shows the the U.S. map, so you can click on, and check your state, and the second link is Fla's plan.

I hope it is of some sort of help to those like me who have critters and don't want to leave them.

https://www.animallaw.info/content/map-states-disaster-planning-laws

http://www.floridadisaster.org/petplan.htm

At the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum in Key West, general manager Jacqui Sands said she’s not going anywhere. She is charged with securing the legendary author’s 19th-century estate as well as ensuring the safety of the 55 cats that roam the lush grounds here, many of them with six and seven toes on each paw.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...4b862b2b3f3_story.html?utm_term=.7cde2789a605

We did a walking tour there. Is she crazy? She cant save the land but she can save herself and the cats.

We did a walking tour there. Is she crazy? She cant save the land but she can save herself and the cats.
Ditto....my thoughts exactly...

I've been there too and now I'm upset that I have to worry about these cats! The governing bodies made sure to mention that they were evacuating shelters in the Florida Keys, why not these cats?!

At the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum in Key West, general manager Jacqui Sands said she’s not going anywhere. She is charged with securing the legendary author’s 19th-century estate as well as ensuring the safety of the 55 cats that roam the lush grounds here, many of them with six and seven toes on each paw.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...4b862b2b3f3_story.html?utm_term=.7cde2789a605

I know that some needed repairs have begun but I don't know to what extent they've been completed. I'm sure though that the Hemingway cats will be okay. IMO the limestone construction of the house will hold. IIRC, the house went through its first hurricane in 1935.

Another beloved Florida landmark, Coral Castle, also bult of limestone, managed to weather Hurricane Andrew. Limestone's pretty hardy.

EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS
https://emergency.cdc.gov/preparedness/kit/disasters/index.asp

Pack an emergency supply kit. Here’s what you’ll need:

At Least a 3-day Supply of Food and Water

• Water – one gallon per person, per day
  • Food – foods that are easy to make and won’t spoil, like canned soup, dry pasta, and powdered milk
  • Manual can opener
  • Basic utensils to prepare and serve meals
Health Supplies

• 3-day supply of all medicines, at a minimum
  • Medical supplies like syringes, a walking cane, or hearing aids with extra batteries
Personal Care Items

• Soap
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Baby wipes
  • Contact lenses or glasses
Safety Supplies

• First aid kit
  • Emergency blanket
  • Multipurpose tool (that can act as a knife, file, pliers, and screwdriver)
  • Whistle
Electronics:

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) provides weather updates during emergencies. Look for a radio labeled “NOAA Weather Radio.”

• Flashlight
  • Radio (battery-powered, solar, or hand-crank) for updates on the situation
  • Cell phone with chargers
  • Extra batteries
Documents

cash_keys_docs_opt2.jpg
Keep copies of your important documents, cash, spare keys, and maps in you emergency supply kit.

• Copies of important documents such as insurance cards and immunization records
  • Paperwork about any serious or on-going medical condition
  • Your completed family emergency plan, complete with family and emergency contact information.
You should also keep

• Extra cash
  • Maps of the area
  • Extra set of car keys and house keys

Taking Care of Others

You may need additional supplies to make sure the whole family is ready.
For Children

• Baby supplies like bottles, formula, baby food, and diapers
  • Games and activities for children
For Pets

kit_dog.jpg
Plan ahead so you’re ready to take care of your pet during an emergency.

• Food and Water:
    • A 3-day supply of food and water for each pet. A cat or a dog will generally need 1 gallon for three days.
    • Bowls or bottles
    • Manual can opener
  • Cleaning Supplies:
    • Depending on the pet, you may need a litter box, paper towels, plastic trash bags, grooming items, and household bleach
  • Health and Safety:
    • Medicines and medical records stored in a waterproof container
    • First aid kit with a pet first aid book
  • Transport supplies:
    • A sturdy leash, harness, and carrier to transport pets safely. A carrier should be large enough for the animal to stand comfortably, turn around, and lie down. Your pet may have to stay in the carrier for several hours.
  • Comfort Items:
    • Pet toys and the pet’s bed, if you can easily bring it, to reduce stress
  • Paperwork:
    • Current photos and descriptions of your pets to help others identify them, and to prove that they are your pets, in case you become separated from them
    • Information on feeding schedules, medical conditions, behavior problems, and the name and telephone number of your veterinarian in case you have to board your pets or place them in foster care

[h=4]Know Your House[/h]Find out where your gas, electric, and water shut-off locations are, and how to turn them off.

http://www.mynews13.com/weather/hurricane-center-checklist.html
One more list to help prepare:

Make sure your hurricane kit includes:

• Flashlights & extra bulbs
  • Battery-operated radio
  • Battery-operated lanterns
  • Batteries (in different sizes!)
  • Matches
  • First aid kit
  • Duct tape
  • Rain gear

• Clock (wind-up or battery-powered)
  • Plastic garbage bags
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Scissors
  • Can Opener
  • Clean clothes
  • Extra blankets
  • Heavy gloves

FOOD AND WATER
Pack non-perishable food for each person for 3-7 days.

• Bottled water (1 gallon/person/day)
  • Bottled juice
  • Two coolers:
    One for drinks & one for food

• Canned foods
  • Manual can opener
  • Dry pet food

HOUSE CHECKLIST

• Remove outdoor items
  • Trim dead branches from trees
  • Board up windows
  • Fill gas tanks and extra containers
  • Get extra cash

• Move furniture away from windows
  • Store important documents in waterproof containers

MEDICAL NEEDS

• Extra supply of medicines

• Medic-alert tags
  • Insect-repellent sprays
  • Feminine hygiene items
  • Sunscreen
  • Soap
  • First aid kit
  • Prescription medication

• Over-the-counter medication
  • Children's medicine
  • Bandages
  • Adhesive tape
  • Antiseptic solution
  • Thermometer
  • Tweezers

Your pet will need more than a bag of food in a storm.

• Water for your pet for 3-7 days
  • Non-perishable food
  • Crate/carrier/tank
  • Leash (non-extendable)
  • Collar and/or harness
  • Favorite Toy
  • Blanket or pillow
  • Clean litter box

• Updated shots and medical records
  • Microchip with up-to-date contant info
  • Any medications
  • Calming aids
  • Tags
  • Puppy training pads
  • Heartworm preventatives
  • Rain gear

Screen name with location list:

CARIIS = Orlando, Florida

Henry2326 = Charleston, South Carolina

Jax49 = Jacksonville, Florida--40 miles inland

oceanblueeyes = south Georgia (Lee County)

Turanna = Jupiter/West Palm Beach

Shin Masamura = Lakeland

Momrids6 = SE GA Coast

Tripplogan = Jacksonville

Cat99 = Jacksonville

southernmimi = south Georgia

katsrfun = Vero Beach, FL

Agree. It might take a bit to trap them all. Some were a bit evasive when we were there (and they roam all over the island) but we were just talking about the Hemingway house and wondering if it would survive this. I just don't know if the historic homes on there can make it through this. I hope I am wrong though.

Saint Martin

[video=twitter;905606906345127936]https://twitter.com/WDBJ7/status/905606906345127936[/video]

Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Big Cyber {{{{{HUG}}}}}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member