Hurricane Irma

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like a lot of people are staying in place to ride out the storm. May I ask why? I don't think I'd stay with even a Cat 3 predicted to go over my home!

I'd guess it's down to a false sense of security.

Not having gone through any hurricane before, let alone one that looks like being a Cat 4 or 5.

Not understanding what a storm surge of X feet really means in their neighbourhood and for their property if they're along the water or close to it.

Not understanding what damage winds of 150mph or greater could do.

Seeing another city that you don't know going through it on the TV doesn't really prepare you for the reality of living through something like this.

Capital Weather Gang‏Verified account @capitalweather
[FONT=&quot]Miami has already gusted to 57 mph and the storm center is over 200 miles away.

[/FONT]
Capital Weather Gang‏Verified account @capitalweather
[FONT=&quot]Terrible scenario setting up for Florida's west side: Devastating impact for Keys, Naples, Tampa. The latest: [/FONT]http://wapo.st/2wPoMdP

DJR4-pxXUAEz649.jpg

It sounds like a lot of people are staying in place to ride out the storm. May I ask why? I don't think I'd stay with even a Cat 3 predicted to go over my home! But then I am a Pacific NW girl who has never experienced a hurricane and hopefully will not. We have enough to worry about up here with the "big one" earthquake looming over our heads and the whole place on fire! I hope for the best outcome for all of you down South. Stay safe!
I have elderly family in Ft. Lauderdale who chose to ride it out. They prepped, but now are full of regret. I haven't heard from them since last night and know they are scared. It's too late to go now I think, but I wish they had just left like we begged. I just think people are stubborn and underestimate Mother Nature.

I have very close family with babies in Pensacola. They will flee north if it comes to it. I hope they don't hesitate if that's what is decided. We'll see.

y'all keep safe out there.

I have elderly family in Ft. Lauderdale who chose to ride it out. They prepped, but now are full of regret. I haven't heard from them since last night and know they are scared. It's too late to go now I think, but I wish they had just left like we begged. I just think people are stubborn and underestimate Mother Nature.

I have very close family with babies in Pensacola. They will flee north if it comes to it. I hope they don't hesitate if that's what is decided. We'll see.

y'all keep safe out there.

FT Lauderdale is out of the cone of uncertainty now so your folks should be ok

Orlando Casselberry update

Being staying with MSNBC went local

Sunday around 3 rain starts they have moved back to Monday AM actually the wind event.

But you know what just struck me becasue of her size all the water between cuba and and the tip of FL has been under rain, for some time so possibly the water temp will be dropping?

Its like a blender so who knows there is one outliner model that show a direct pass over here but the rest are continuing west

but we are on dirty side so thats not good

[video=twitter;906488846682075136]https://twitter.com/yukonblizzard/status/906488846682075136[/video]

#Irma[FONT=&quot] 6z [/FONT]#NAM3km[FONT=&quot] model tracks a direct hit on [/FONT]#KeyWest[FONT=&quot], parallels the West coast of [/FONT]#Florida[FONT=&quot] just offshore, & landfall South of [/FONT]#tallahassee

[video=twitter;906482705617051648]https://twitter.com/yukonblizzard/status/906482705617051648[/video]

#Irma[FONT=&quot] rain band into the Keys & South of Miami. Intermittent lightning strikes as well. Slight risk of tornadoes from Lake Okeechobee South.[/FONT]

Taste where are you ??

where is the barrier island??

[video=twitter;906492739600175105]https://twitter.com/ColeANjax/status/906492739600175105[/video]

[FONT=&quot]Seahorse Inn closed. This couple and others have to be out by 9am. Hotel boarded up.

What? People come on... get out.[/FONT]

[video=twitter;906487591599525889]https://twitter.com/ColeANjax/status/906487591599525889[/video]

[video=twitter;906490379951886341]https://twitter.com/ColeANjax/status/906490379951886341[/video]

The Florida Keys have opened 4 shelters as a last resort. This is your last opportunity to seek shelter if you do not evacuate the Keys today:

The four shelters will open at 7 p.m. Saturday. No services will be available at those sites. And, they only will be open until tropical storm force winds subside.

With Irma becoming a bigger threat to the Keys with its latest shift, county managers decided to open these buildings to provide a safe location to ride out the storm. Irma could make landfall somewhere in the Middle Keys early Sunday morning with potentially catastrophic winds, then continue toward the Southwest coast. These shelters will close again after the unsafe weather conditions have passed. They are not recovery shelters.

The shelters are:

▪ Coral Shores High School; 89951 Overseas Hwy; Plantation Key FL 33036 (MM89.9 ocean side)

▪ Marathon High School; 350 Sombrero Road; Marathon, FL 33050 (MM 50 ocean side)

▪ Sugarloaf School; 225 Crane Blvd.; Sugarloaf Key, FL (MM 19 gulf side)

▪ Key West High School; 2100 Flagler Ave.; Key West, FL 33040 (MM 2)

Should you decide to shelter in place, you may register your location with Monroe County. To register download the Virtual Badge app https://www.virtualbadge.com/ to your smartphone and complete the registration form.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172116092.html

Live Duval Street (Key West) Webcam:

http://www.liveduvalstreet.com/

I occasionally see cars, people on bicycles, people walking around. WTF, just the tourists evacuated Key West?!?

It sounds like a lot of people are staying in place to ride out the storm. May I ask why? I don't think I'd stay with even a Cat 3 predicted to go over my home! But then I am a Pacific NW girl who has never experienced a hurricane and hopefully will not. We have enough to worry about up here with the "big one" earthquake looming over our heads and the whole place on fire! I hope for the best outcome for all of you down South. Stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From feedback from friends and family that are in the direct path:

#1. We have too many adults (5) and pets (9) for one car

#2. My daughter and SIL are here in this area with 5 grandchildren, and they are not leaving and we cannot leave them, we have to take care of them and the pets

#3. We cannot get a flight out, and cannot drive with disabled elderly parent

#4.... more reasons....

so, I"m just :praying:

:wave: Good morning! Thread #2 is open for posting. Please start making the move over. This thread will be closing in a few minutes. Stay safe everyone

:grouphug:

Caught red pawed!

Miss Lady Love Bug has just received her 4,214 CCC- Counter Climbing Citation!

She currently owes the court $475,215 in Milk Bones, This includes late fees she has been able to get waived by pulling the little look at your little lady bug face act.

Right in the action!

humm humm

I love it! miss Lady Bug either is carrying on "as usual" or telling you to get out now..... I am worried about you there, CARIIS. Please, please keep posting (until you can't. :dunno: )

So we are now expecting a direct hit with a CAT 3 over my house. The house should be up for it, we are not in a flood zone, but my phone keeps going off with these Hurricane emergency warnings, scaring the crap out of me! We are stocked with water, food, small gen, but there is no plywood to be had at this point. If I can use my computer here and there, I will check in after the back surge goes through. I have to admit, I am a bit scared now, not for myself but for my whole community, the whole state, this is going to be very bad. At least I have some great friends at the HCSO that I can call, help, do what ever is needed after the storm. A long time ago, I saw a video of a recreation of what Tampa would experience if this ever happened, if I find it, I will post a link. Water surge in Tampa Bay is a very bad thing.

Oh no, Skully! I hope you stay safe and not too damaged. This is much too scary for me, and getting worse. please, please, please be careful.

While some came up earlier in the week to Georgia, others in my family in Pinellas County/Tampa Bay area packed up their car at midnight last night to head here.

Then they decided against it, fearing there wouldn't be any gas along the way, and everything would be closed along the way.

:scared:

ETA: Skully, my family said they had been trying to call me all last night, but the phone calls wouldn't go through. Text did intermittently. They asked me to keep my facebook open for communications.

Just got a call from friends who live on Tampa Bay, Pinellas side. They just left the house, and wanted to make sure I had room as I had done a shout out on Facebook saying all are welcome. They are headed to my house, with their 3 dogs.

Gaah .... wish they had left sooner and were out of there now. Hoping your friends made it out in time to reach your home. you are such a kind person, Bently. Enjoy the crowded house and all the lives you kept safe. :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416