Hurricane Irma

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh my sense if not in an evac area property built in like 2000 so it not like storm surge is a risk here

feedback?

Maybe now is a good time for you to visit your grandson. Scooter is getting pretty big and will be grown before you now it!
21231611_1074719835964228_8990218243984553460_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/AnimalAdve...833958752824/1074719835964228/?type=3&theater

NaviGAtor511 Retweeted
Information in jpeg as to contraflow for I-316 out of Savannah to Dublin Georgia starting in just over 2 hours.

Georgia DOT‏Verified account @GADeptofTrans 13h13 hours ago

Contraflow begins on I-16 tomorrow morning at 8 AM. Here is what you need to know. Please share and RT @ga_dps @GeorgiaEMA @georgiagov

Contraflow.JPG

Image is in tweet https://twitter.com/511georgia?lang=en

316.JPG
googlemaps.com

Sep 9, 2017, 5:49 AM ET http://abcnews.go.com/US/hurricane-irma-forecast-strike-florida-keys-category/story?id=49697542

Just hours after Hurricane Irma strengthened Friday night to a Category 5 storm as it made landfall on Cuba, the monster storm went back to a Category 4 storm around 5 a.m. Saturday, the National Hurricane Center announced. Its maximum sustained winds decreased to 150 mph, but the storm remains strong as it moves closer to South Florida at a speed of 13 mph. As of 5 a.m., it was 245 miles southeast of Miami. Just three hours earlier, it was 275 miles south-southeast of the city.

The storm's track has shifted slightly to the west, creating a "very, very dangerous situation for western Florida," says ABC News meteorologist Daniel Manzo. Major hurricane conditions will slam communities on Florida's west coast, including Naples and Fort Myers, he added. Landfall may also occur as far north as Tampa as a strong Category 3 hurricane.

South Florida is already experiencing power outages, according to the Florida Power & Light Company. As of 3 a.m. Saturday, in Miami-Dade County there were 9,613 outages affecting 1,124,252 customers. In Broward County, which includes Fort Lauderdale, there were 456 outages affecting 939,339 customers.

Also ahead of its arrival, The Associated Press reported late Friday night that many ATM machines across southwest Florida were out of cash as people stocked up in case Hurricane Irma power outages make credit card transactions impossible.

So we are now expecting a direct hit with a CAT 3 over my house. The house should be up for it, we are not in a flood zone, but my phone keeps going off with these Hurricane emergency warnings, scaring the crap out of me! We are stocked with water, food, small gen, but there is no plywood to be had at this point. If I can use my computer here and there, I will check in after the back surge goes through. I have to admit, I am a bit scared now, not for myself but for my whole community, the whole state, this is going to be very bad. At least I have some great friends at the HCSO that I can call, help, do what ever is needed after the storm. A long time ago, I saw a video of a recreation of what Tampa would experience if this ever happened, if I find it, I will post a link. Water surge in Tampa Bay is a very bad thing.

While some came up earlier in the week to Georgia, others in my family in Pinellas County/Tampa Bay area packed up their car at midnight last night to head here.

Then they decided against it, fearing there wouldn't be any gas along the way, and everything would be closed along the way.

:scared:

ETA: Skully, my family said they had been trying to call me all last night, but the phone calls wouldn't go through. Text did intermittently. They asked me to keep my facebook open for communications.

So we are now expecting a direct hit with a CAT 3 over my house. The house should be up for it, we are not in a flood zone, but my phone keeps going off with these Hurricane emergency warnings, scaring the crap out of me! We are stocked with water, food, small gen, but there is no plywood to be had at this point. If I can use my computer here and there, I will check in after the back surge goes through. I have to admit, I am a bit scared now, not for myself but for my whole community, the whole state, this is going to be very bad. At least I have some great friends at the HCSO that I can call, help, do what ever is needed after the storm. A long time ago, I saw a video of a recreation of what Tampa would experience if this ever happened, if I find it, I will post a link. Water surge in Tampa Bay is a very bad thing.

Is this the article, I think it might be as has the video you described https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/health/environment/tampa-bay-climate-change/?utm_term=.de5b39adddeb Jul 28, 2017 - Sea-level rise could destroy Tampa Bay if a major hurricane hits .

Tampa Bay is mesmerizing, with 700 miles of shoreline and some of the finest white sand beaches in the nation. But analysts say the metropolitan area is the most vulnerable in the United States to flooding and damage if a major hurricane ever scores a direct hit.

A Boston firm that analyzes potential catastrophic damage reported that the region would lose $175 billion in a storm the size of Hurricane Katrina. A World Bank study called Tampa Bay one of the 10 most at-risk areas on the globe. Yet the bay area — greater Tampa, St. Petersburg and Clearwater — has barely begun to assess the rate of sea-level rise and address its effects. Its slow response to a major threat is a case study in how American cities reluctantly prepare for the worst, even though signs of impacts from climate change abound all around.

Just got a call from friends who live on Tampa Bay, Pinellas side. They just left the house, and wanted to make sure I had room as I had done a shout out on Facebook saying all are welcome. They are headed to my house, with their 3 dogs.

I just hope you know how to function without power or water and have provisions Cariis. Start researching now. Fill your tub and buckets. Collect rainwater for washing. We were without water for about a week during a flood. No fun, but we were prepared. Memorize this list of shelters and resources, please. Above all, don't take risks. Hugs to one and all from the smoky northwest needing rain, but not THAT much.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...lters-and-other-resources-in-the-orlando-area

Actually helpful i am so focused on AC I never thought of if if a 400 pound item crashed into the place

It sounds like a lot of people are staying in place to ride out the storm. May I ask why? I don't think I'd stay with even a Cat 3 predicted to go over my home! But then I am a Pacific NW girl who has never experienced a hurricane and hopefully will not. We have enough to worry about up here with the "big one" earthquake looming over our heads and the whole place on fire! I hope for the best outcome for all of you down South. Stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1-2-3-GO!

The best the map has looked as to clear sailing for evacuation since Tuesday morning at 9:00 am

Saturday 3:42 am evacuation map update has one little tiny backup at the Florida/Georgia state line. The rest of the southeast is green!

View attachment 122884

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.4724524,-85.7248501,6z/data=!5m1!1e1

Good morning everyone!

The reason it has been backing up at the GA-FL line is Florida had opened all five lanes but Georgia still had the customary three lanes open and were using the other two lanes for emergency services. My hubby said it caused a huge bottleneck in that area.

I was in the kitchen around 8 last night and silently worrying why he wasn't home by then. Then I heard our little granddaughters start squealing and clapping their hands saying 'Papa is home!' and both rushed out and jumped in his arms. I could tell he was bone tired but he did arrive home safely and that is all that matters.

He said it would be okay for miles until people were trying to get on the interstate and it would then come to a crawl again. In one area he went less than 10 miles and it took him over an hour. He said he saw a couple of wrecks but was pleased how quickly the state patrol cleared the accidents.

So we are all here and now we wait for whats to come.

Stay safe everyone.

Cantore is moving to the west coast of Fl.

Winds at 130 mph, 937 mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members