Hurricane Katrina Disaster Updates

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is the most horrible thing I have ever seen. When Andrew happened they kept the condition alot more hush hush than they are this time. Having gone thru two hurricanes last season, I can only reflect on how stupid it was to leave the first time, then be over confident and stick out the second. This could have been our area last year. I know I am making plans as I type this. I plan on putting a trailer hitch on the car, buy a utility trailer and take anything i want with me when we leave should we face this during this year. I may even check into buy a piece of property in Georgia, so we'll have someplace to go too. This is really a wake call.

Most of our homes last season were livable, the organizations came in and helped with everything we needed. People conducted themselves in an orderly manner. It wasn't so bad.

But the things that are going on in New Orleans. Shooting at the police stations. With river rats like that living in the city, evacuation is a good idea. Get rid of them and don't let them back in EVER.

Praying that the death toll doesn't rise.
Kathy:silenced:

upallnite said:
I'm so sad tonight!!! I can't even look!!!Hope Kgeaux has a good place to rest.This is the worst!!!
and Civilatty too, I think she is in the New Orleans area :(

lisa0477 said:
This is what I was saying to my hubby, if it were my store, they could have it get those children in line and feed em'

I just wish I had a big enough place for them all.

My husband heard on the radio that one of the Walmarts in area opened the doors and let people take what they needed this afternoon.

Cypros said:
Anybody have Pat Robertson's email? I'd like to forward him this information. ;)
---------

I wish I could thank Venezuelas people.I will look into it..Arabia! Over many years of living I have found the people you count on most are the ones who let you down..Their helping to keep gas prices down would help a lot.

Lets check out Robertson for alzhiemers.No one in their right mind would make a remark like that....Minister~yeah right!!!

Cypros said:
Thanks Dara.

Boy it just doesn't end! I wonder if the prisoners realize that they hav eno place to go? Let's hope it isn't true.

Mabel said:
My husband heard on the radio that one of the Walmarts in area opened the doors and let people take what they needed this afternoon.
I'd heard it was the police who tried to open the doors to give out rations of the food, then the crowd got out of control and started looting everything - jewelry, clothing, electronics, etc.

I'm sure no store owners or managers was dumb enough to try to sit out the hurricane, and the business wouldn't let them do that (since they might be held liable for the employees death when the storm killed them).

heavenlydaze said:
SSSoooo...in retrospect, we can un-do this now? I think not. Let's concentrate on trying to help these people tomorrow. Open to suggestions. Let's save history lessons for future generations. Any ideas?
People critiqued numerous aspects of both the tsunami and 9/11 tragedies beginning not too long afterwards, and for good reasons. This will not be much different, like it or not. We cannot afford to have history repeat itself, and we cannot wait for future generations as the next major hurricane could be as soon as next month. Are any other coastal areas also unprepared? If so, let's get prepared. And yes, if this area is salvageable, it still needs to be ready for future Cat 4 and 5's.

In the meantime, please donate to one of the agencies assisting in this effort! It's going to take an enormous amount of money. And also encourage your lawmakers to encourage Pres. Bush to tap into our oil reserves if need be to keep gas prices from going through the roof. It's jumped 15 cents/gallon here, already.

Found these...don't know if the numbers are working. Give it a shot.

Local results for salvation-army near Gulfport, MS
<http://www.google.com/images/map_icon.gif> Salvation Army - 0.6 miles N - 2111 24th Ave, Gulfport, 39501 - (228) 863-3213
Salvation Army - 0.5 miles N - 2009 24th Ave, Gulfport, 39501 - (228) 863-2429
Salvation Army - 13 miles E - 379 Howard Ave, Biloxi, 39530 - (228) 374-8301Local results for salvation-army near New Orleans, LA
<http://www.google.com/images/map_icon.gif> Salvation Army - 2.0 miles SW - 4500 S Claiborne Ave, New Orleans, 70125 - (504) 895-6611
Salvation Army - 3.5 miles W - 200 Jefferson Hwy, Jefferson, 70121 - (504) 835-1781
Salvation Army the: Business Office - 2.0 miles SW - 4526 S Claiborne Ave, New Orleans, 70125 - (504) 899-4569
BTW...Thanks, DK., It's been a long two days.

More:

Local results for american-red-cross near New Orleans, LA
<http://www.google.com/images/map_icon.gif> American Red Cross - 1.0 miles NW - 2640 Canal St, New Orleans, 70119 - (504) 821-3746
American Red Cross - 0.2 miles N - New Orleans, 70112 - (504) 833-7556
American Red Cross - 7.3 miles E - 2200 Palmisano Blvd, Chalmette, 70043 - (504) 277-8163
Local results for american-red-cross near Gulfport, MS
<http://www.google.com/images/map_icon.gif> U S Government: American Red Cross - 0.9 miles NW - Gulfport, 39501 - (228) 871-2483
American Red Cross: Blood Services Corner Fernwood & Debuys - 0.9 miles NW - Gulfport, 39501 - (228) 896-6772
American Red Cross Chapters: Biloxi/Gulfport Office - 5.9 miles E - 2782 Fernwood Rd, Biloxi, 39531 - (228) 896-4511

Nore said:
--------------------

Marthatex,I am wondering the same about aid from other Countries..It is time we put our priorities in their proper place! After 9~11 I believe the only Country offering aid was Canada.I will not forget that. I am so sick of this. Mr. Bush dont speak to me about war! Right now my Country needs aid.We could use some of the Guardsmen and soldiers right here.How about sending a few hundred? .....I feel sooooo bad. I could easily take in 10 people to stay here for shelter til this is cleaned up but I am all the way up in Ohio.A college student from Parma came home I think on Monday.He brought the tennis team from the college,except two~just not enough room in the car.They are at the SuperDome.They were told to go home.Some of them are from Indonesia (sp),Austria,England,Canada.How were they to travel all those miles.Marthtex thank you for letting me "spiel off" on your post.I have webtv.and often cannot get through on my own.I have had it with "foriegn aid"..Take care.
I live in Germany ,I've just donated to the red cross , every little helps I think. Maybe Mr Bush should stop his wars and weapons programm , and save some money for his own country . My thoughts and prayers are with all the people involved in this horrible time . may God be with you all .

redeskimo said:
I live in Germany ,I've just donated to the red cross , every little helps I think. Maybe Mr Bush should stop his wars and weapons programm , and save some money for his own country . My thoughts and prayers are with all the people involved in this horrible time . may God be with you all .
Achtung!!!!!! :D

Details said:
Remember, all this is from a near miss of a hurricane that wasn't even a Cat5. They got the weak side of a cat4, and that did all this damage. How possible is it to rebuild something that will withstand a direct hit?

Actually, it probably was closer to a Cat. 5. The category determination is made when airplanes flying high above the storm take measurements, then extrapolate to determine the speed of the winds actually in the storm below. The air pressure readings for Katrina didn't correlate with the Cat. 4 wind speeds.

We still have a long way to go in understanding, predicting, and forecasting hurricanes, although compared to a hundred years ago we are light years ahead of where we once were.

Thank you so much Redeskimo! That is very generous of you.

For others, I have heard Red Cross is the place to start:

http://www.redcross.org

They are in the process of organizing volunteers and donations will provide clean water, food and shelter

Or, you can volunteer - contact your local chapter. I have just learned that in our town they are turning a huge stadium area into a refugee center. We will be having lots of donations and activity even as far away as central Texas. Lots of big-hearted and active persons here. All I can say is, they are going to be really hot when they get here.

redeskimo said:

redeskimo, I thank you, and I think the others will thank you too. We are not immune to natural disasters, any more than any other countries.
The news coming out of New Orleans is really really bad. The waters are continuing to rise, and the conditions are getting worse. They are discussing a mandatory evacuation.
There are thought to be hundreds dead, maybe thousands dead, they just don't know yet- because they are too busy with survivors to even do anything with the dead.
The area is hot and humid. They have no power, no drinkable water, and no way to get food. The survivors they can find are being brought out via helicopter, boat or bus- but there are still areas they cannot contact. Whole towns have been basically flattened.
But as you say, every bit helps. And is badly needed. So bless you for what you have done.

On a side note, my nephew, who was about to begin at Tulane University, is still stranded in Mississippi, and will have to go back to Hawaii, his residence, to continue school there.

He was hoping to study pre-med and get into medical school, but now he is having to go back to a much lesser school. (Hi at Hilo)
This is not life-threatening, but does anyone realize all the students who were about to start at Tulane have no place else to study for this semester - unless other schools somehow take them in. I don't know whether Tulane is salvageable or not; haven't heard.

I heard this morning on "American Morning" (CNN) that people are actually bringing bodies of family members to the coroner, and in some cases alerting them as to where the bodies can be found.

No link as of yet; I apologize.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back