Hurricane Matthew - Sept-Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A Weather channel scroll said mandatory evacuation east of I-95 in 6 coastal counties of Georgia. And I-16 contraflow traffic now active there.

Great question? I do know about 30 some years ago we had a rare earthquake. Hours before the minor tremors could not find the cat. Finally found her behind a bedroom dresser. She would not come out until the quake was over. Well over. Animals seem to know. I just hope those out in the elements have the instinct. Of course many of us dog owners are alerted before a thunderstorm hits as well. I pray they are safe. I worry for them.

Animals take shelter....I have seen that when we have tornadoes and storms. Squirrels hunker in their tree nests, birds have hidden in our box woods, bunnies under our deck. When it is a real bad storm or tornado, our Service Dog Shelties 'herd' us to the basement and if it is an earthquake, they 'herd' us outside in the open away from trees and buidings as much as they can. Their instinct tells them where to go. I can tell ahead of time, hours to days how bad things will be by watching the Shelties actions.

I just saw live-Daytona Beach. 2 Adults, 2 children and 2 dogs. Frolicking in the water :tantrum:

“The latest forecasts say that Miami-Dade County has an over 80 percent chance of experiencing tropical storm force winds today but the probability of hurricane force winds, sustained hurricane force winds has actually gone down to about 13 percent,”said Mayor Gimenez.

Despite that, he erred on the side of caution.

“You should be prepared for hurricane force winds. These storms have a way of maybe jogging a little bit to the West.We do not expect that,” said Gimenez.

A tropical storm warning remains in effect in Miami-Dade and a voluntary evacuation had been issued for people living in mobile home parks, low-lying areas, and unstable structures. Shelters opened around the county for those opting to stay in one.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/10/06/better-news-for-dade-county-remains-cautious/

Looks like Miami will escape the worst. My Miami daughter sent video a little while ago - light rain, mild breeze.

Funny how these storms evoke memories of past hurricanes. I keep thinking about Andrew. My husband was a little boy when Donna hit and he remembers water flowing in under the doors and how he helped his parents sop it up and try to block the cracks.

This thread is a wonderful source of pertinent information and support. Thank you, everyone who is sharing experience, knowledge and support during this time. I know those in the storms path are grateful for the suggestions and support on these pages.

Hope everyone in the path of this hurricane is safe. Will be praying for all. Please be careful.

My son, in Coral Gables (Miami), says "its nothing". Lol.
My Mom in Ft. Lauderdale sounds like the world is coming to an end.

I bet its somewhere in the middle!

My son, in Coral Gables (Miami), says "its nothing". Lol.
My Mom in Ft. Lauderdale sounds like the world is coming to an end.

I bet its somewhere in the middle!

That may actually be accurate. My Miami daughter (she lives kissing distance from the Gables) says it's mild with a little rain. I just heard from my West Palm Beach daughter - she's playing cat bingo on the patio with her husband and kids (keeping them calm). She sent video and the trees are waving a little but the sound of the wind is surprisingly loud. She says it's getting gusty.

Be safe everyone!!!

I am wondering how this will affect the Zika carrying mosquitos, either it will wipe them out for a while, or give them extra standing water to breed in (supposing they survive the winds). If anyone with a scientific background or experience with mosquitos would like to weigh in, I would be interested to hear your opinion.

Be safe everyone!!!

I am wondering how this will affect the Zika carrying mosquitos, either it will wipe them out for a while, or give them extra standing water to breed in (supposing they survive the winds). If anyone with a scientific background or experience with mosquitos would like to weigh in, I would be interested to hear your opinion.
I would venture to say it will make more breeding ground. But I am far from an expert! Well expert in being bit by mosquitos! Everyone needs to make sure after the storm and when it is safe to do so, make sure to empty out anything that can hold water. Tires are hot beds in South Georgia. But flooded areas can't be helped really. You know when I lived in northeast Georgia, I would notice that men would go around and drop chemicals in storm drains. I asked someone once and they said it was to control mosquitos. I wonder if they can do something similar and maybe increase spraying for a time. I dunno I doubt their most important thing will be the control of mosquitos but with tons of people coming in possibly to help with cleanup it should be important. Jmoo

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm just curious. Do wild animals, rodents....etc...run to higher ground as storm approaches ?

In no way am I an expert, but I am pretty knowledgeable about most animals, especially the wild ones. They DO retreat to higher ground.

A picture of an Elk that hung around my home for awhile. I love animals!

11209400_940929342611319_3130126239858010107_n.jpg

Be safe everyone!!!

That is a good question! I googled and found this.
Hurricane Hermine, set to cause flooding and damage when it hits Florida overnight, will make it harder for the state to fight Zika, a mosquito-borne virus shown to cause birth defects, experts in infectious diseases and mosquitoes said on Thursday.

Forecasters are warning of potentially life-threatening storm surges and as much as 20 inches of rain. Governor Rick Scott declared a state of emergency in most of Florida's 67 counties ahead of the first hurricane to strike the state in more than a decade.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-atlantic-zika-idUSKCN1175WT

But this hurricane is a different story with it's high winds. Some one else chime in. That's something to think about.

Tomorrow's forecast, as of now, from last in series, not sure what to make of it, but it seems strongest as it hits the Daytona Beach area?

attachment.php

now.jpg now after midnight.jpg after midnight Early morning.jpg Early morning Nine morning.jpg ~ 9 am After ten-thirty.jpg 10:30 am

Forecast here: http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx

In no way am I an expert, but I am pretty knowledgeable about most animals, especially the wild ones. They DO retreat to higher ground.

View attachment 102517

Awww! That's sweet!

The weather people are scaring me. I'm worried.

But this hurricane is a different story with it's high winds. Some one else chime in. That's something to think about.

It is something to think about. Hopefully the winds will take care of the mosquito population. Yet there will be standing water.

attachment.php
Wow! Great photo!!!! I love animals too! Sloths are my absolute favorite! :heartbeat:

Anyone remember the old hurricane tracking charts?The Miami Herald and the now defunct Miami News used to include one in the paper at the start of hurricane season. And Publix always had a stack of them. Modern technology has pretty much ended using paper maps.

trackingchart.jpg

Miami Dade authorities are announcing that services will resume tomorrow. Some places, like libraries, animal services will open on Saturday. Anticipating the storm will be past by this evening. People are leaving shelters. No major damage reported. Whew!

Attachments

• trackingchart.jpg
    trackingchart.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 27
(Ugh, flashbacks of Katrina, when the police evidence lab/storage got destroyed, so as a result many violent offenders walked free...iirc DNA evidence, etc. was lost...)

Hunker down and stay safe, everyone. :wave:

Margarita, I am in northern Louisiana and we received inmates from New Orleans without paperwork during Hurricane Katrina. The only saving thing was when we booked them in on AFIS, all of their information came up when we electronically scanned their fingerprints. I worked for 24 hours straight! I was a Booking/Classifications Lieutenant then and am since retired. They were all starving and only had the orange jumpsuits on their back. Nothing else.
We had to get the Fire Marshall and the governor to approve 250 inmates over actual capacity. I will NEVER forget those days. Every prison/detention from New Orleans to our area took in inmates.

I have a brother in Seminole out of Tampa and a niece in Big Pine Key. Both of those areas are to be spared except for rain.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Florida and their loved ones who are worried to death for them.

:prayer:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back