Hurricane Matthew - Sept-Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Trending-pray for Freeport per CNN
ETA- about to get a direct hit from the eye wall
Following twitter feed

It is something to think about. Hopefully the winds will take care of the mosquito population. Yet there will be standing water.
Is there a possibility that this storm could actually make it spread faster and farther? With the wind and water moving both the mosquitoes and the eggs to other places? Now this really scares me. Like there isn't enough to freak out about now I will be spraying everyone with mosquito spray. Thank God my family loves me!

That may actually be accurate. My Miami daughter (she lives kissing distance from the Gables) says it's mild with a little rain. I just heard from my West Palm Beach daughter - she's playing cat bingo on the patio with her husband and kids (keeping them calm). She sent video and the trees are waving a little but the sound of the wind is surprisingly loud. She says it's getting gusty.

I'm dying to know, what is cat bingo?? :cat::cat:

They must not be locals and from out of town. What gets me are the reporters standing by the surf the President and the Governor are saying don't do that...

OMG! Now, there are children standing on the wall along the street in front of the beach area. What are they (or their parents) thinking? Everyone - including media - should get out of harm's way. Now!

Awww! That's sweet!

The weather people are scaring me. I'm worried.

:therethere:

Don't be scared Bootsctr! The media always ramps up the fear factor. IMO I think some of it is to make sure the stupid people get the message to take the storm seriously. By stupid people I mean those who think a hurricane is an opportunity to get drunk or high and run outside to watch stuff fly by. Most people do that, with or without the drunk/high lol. Once.

Anyway, Matthew took a slight shift offshore so even now some areas are getting a teeny break. My daughter sent video from West Palm Beach - she's just west of the Florida Turnpike. The wind's blowing and it's raining but not anywhere near what they feared. She hasn't even dropped the patio shutters yet.

So Miami, Broward and maybe Palm Beach have caught a break. Miami totally dodged the bullet.

Gotta get the cat bingo for my relatives in Florida! lol! Love that!

:therethere:

Don't be scared Bootsctr! The media always ramps up the fear factor. IMO I think some of it is to make sure the stupid people get the message to take the storm seriously. By stupid people I mean those who think a hurricane is an opportunity to get drunk or high and run outside to watch stuff fly by. Most people do that, with or without the drunk/high lol. Once.

Anyway, Matthew took a slight shift offshore so even now some areas are getting a teeny break. My daughter sent video from West Palm Beach - she's just west of the Florida Turnpike. The wind's blowing and it's raining but not anywhere near what they feared. She hasn't even dropped the patio shutters yet.

So Miami, Broward and maybe Palm Beach have caught a break. Miami totally dodged the bullet.

Thank you for the reassurance! I appreciate it. You said it - you only get out and run around in those high winds about one time before something hits you!

Similar to Bingo but with cat breeds. My grandkids love it.

catbingo.jpg

Weather is even more frightening in the dark. Let's hope for miracles!

Hurricane Matthew: Millions Warned That 'This Storm Will Kill You' as Death Toll Rises to 264 in Haiti
Oct 6, 2016, 7:40 PM ET

Hurricane Matthew is taking aim at the Florida coast, with vicious 140 mph winds, potentially devastating storm surges and flooding from rain, prompting mass evacuations and dire warnings from officials.

The category 4 storm was blamed for 264 teaches deaths in Haiti, according to the BBC, which cited government officials. Now, the deadly storm is heading toward the east coast of the Sunshine State.

"This storm will kill you," Florida's Gov. Rick Scott said at a news conference this morning, urging that "the time is now" to evacuate ahead of the Category 4 storm.

"This is life and death," he added.

As of this afternoon, about 3.1 million people are under mandatory and voluntary evacuation orders in three states. The National Weather Service in Jacksonville warned residents that "catastrophic damage" is anticipated for coastal areas and areas along the St. John's River.

I can't believe how organized Florida is. I was listening to http://www.wpbf.com/nowcast and the governor was saying there are signs along the highways indicating if there are motels with vacancies at each exit. He says if it says no keep driving. He gave reports on fuel availability, whether shelters have room, etc. Social media is playing a big role too - there are tons of web sites and phone text numbers for updates and alerts. FPL has been out working around the clock and keeping the public updated.

What a difference from hurricane Andrew. It was like Florida was a chicken with its head cut off. I'm so glad to see the state on top of everything.

Are Georgia and South Carolina prepared for this storm?

Hmm... reporter's in Palm Springs Gardens and it looks calm. She's pointing to a downed stop sign and saying conditions are dangerous. Um, okay. Odds of Palm Beach county getting hurricane force winds has dropped to 25%. Still high (75%) for points north.

NHC says storm is a little weaker - 130 mph. About 75 miles due east of West Palm Beach. 939 millibars.

ETA: Gusts at West Palm Beach starting - one clocked at 59 mph. Hopefully wind won't get much higher. Crossing fingers.

Ok, that's not good. The storm surge is what devastated us in Sandy.

I'm hearing it reported locally that the surge may be worse than Sandy. With the St. Johns River running thru downtown it is not looking good.

ETA: Couple of hours ago we had a band of rain come thru downtown, raining at a rate of 5 inches per hour. Thankfully it didn't last long. Interesting, it was NOT related to Matthew.

Thank you for the reassurance! I appreciate it. You said it - you only get out and run around in those high winds about one time before something hits you!
Yeah Darwin's Law usually takes care of those. *Cough*

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My nephew and his family finally evacuated New Smyrna Beach this afternoon.

Thank Goodness.

My brother in-laws and their families are hunkered down in Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and surrounding areas. So far so good.

Prayers to all. Stay safe everyone.

We are OK on the west coast of FL.

Great question? I do know about 30 some years ago we had a rare earthquake. Hours before the minor tremors could not find the cat. Finally found her behind a bedroom dresser. She would not come out until the quake was over. Well over. Animals seem to know. I just hope those out in the elements have the instinct. Of course many of us dog owners are alerted before a thunderstorm hits as well. I pray they are safe. I worry for them.

Years ago, my 110 lb Doberman jumped on me in the middle of the night while I was sleeping. Scared the (*%& out of me. As soon as I got my senses, I realized that it was pouring down rain and he was trembling with fear. So I turned the news on to check the weather. A cell with circulation was being tracked. Within a few minutes a tornado touched down on the county jail some 15 miles from my house.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back