Hurricane Matthew - Sept-Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm nervous but I'm well out of the area being evacuated (I'm over 30 miles inland and not close to rivers).

Good stuff. Keep checking in with us when u can and power permits. I am sure you are nervous. We are with you in spirit.

Miami daughter reports that it's not very windy (she's in Coconut Grove, just a little south of downtown Miami). Stores are open for now, nothing especially alarming.

West Palm Beach daughter says they're starting to feel the feeder bands, wind is picking up. They still have power.

Thank you both! I will call and let them know.

Certain shelters will take pets but from what I understood during Sandy is that they will only take people who have pets IN A CARRIER and they need to stay in the carrier during the time spent in the shelter. We didn't have carriers for each of our pets and we didn't want to leave them behind so we stayed too.

Thank you! I think that was part of them not evacuating - they don't have 8 carriers.

I still remember watching NJ after Hurricane Sandy . . . That was just awful!

Thank you! I think that was part of them not evacuating - they don't have 8 carriers.

I still remember watching NJ after Hurricane Sandy . . . That was just awful!

Tell them to put them in boxes if they have to. They need to be safe as well as the fur babies. I cant see them being turned away???

Be aware of price gauging. This includes hotel rooms, gasoline, even milk. After Sandy, the price of a 2 star dump (the only availability) was over $400 a night. Make sure you report that abuse, too.

Some years ago when we still had our beloved Jack Russell, we had to leave our home during an ice storm. Power was out in our entire sub, and only folks with generators stuck it out. We left after the first 24-36 hours because it was too cold to stay in the house even with a gas fireplace. Most local motels/hotels were booked solid, and we had to stay one night in one Marriott location, second night at another. Both sites allowed us to bring our dog even though they typically don't allow pets. I think many motels/hotels would accept pets during the hurricane. :moo:

Predicting storm surge as much as 9-15 feet at Duval Co. beaches. Wow.

I'm keeping y'all and yalls family members and friends in my prayers! A minute ago I saw on the weather channel we are expected to have tropical storm weather. I can already see severe power outages around here due to all of our pine trees. They are very tall very big around and very top heavy. Please anyone with these type of trees be very aware they can and will fall with very little wind. I've actually had one fall through our whole home when my son was only a month old. We were so lucky we weren't killed.
Some things to keep in mind that I learned through this ordeal. Especially if you have children or anyone with allergies, if a tree should fall through your home, I regards to insurance, our insurance company was only going to replace certain rooms with new carpet. BUT with having a child they HAD to replace all of the carpet due to insulation fibers throughout the home. Insulation is harmful to crawling children etc. So don't let them screw you out of what you pay for. They even tried dropping us and our neighbors on both sides. We all had the same insurance company and all had severe damage. Insurance companies can really be horrid!
Oh and also those in Florida if you have coconut trees, get them off the trees! They become deadly missiles even going through aluminum. Tornadoes are already starting. Please be careful. Post and let us know you are ok too! For as long as you can at least. Of course save your phone batteries! So worried about everyone and all of my family and friends in the path. Praying!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Predicting storm surge as much as 9-15 feet at Duval Co. beaches. Wow.

Ok, that's not good. The storm surge is what devastated us in Sandy.

Miami daughter reports that it's not very windy (she's in Coconut Grove, just a little south of downtown Miami). Stores are open for now, nothing especially alarming.

West Palm Beach daughter says they're starting to feel the feeder bands, wind is picking up. They still have power.

Keep us posted on your loved ones.

David DanielVerified account ‏@CNNLADavid 1m1 minute ago
#HurricaneMatthew is a monster. PLEASE evacuate if you're anywhere near the coast. Dire warning from @NWSJacksonville (via @passantino):

CuG7dBoUMAA7393.jpg

https://twitter.com/CNNLADavid

This is so scary! Please stay safe everyone in the path of this!!

I just heard from my daughter who lives in downtown Orlando, they are evacuating and heading to the southwest coast. She said Orlando is supposed to get 90 mph winds!

I'm just curious. Do wild animals, rodents....etc...run to higher ground as storm approaches ?

Thoughts and prayers for all in the path of this monstrous storm :praying: Please encourage family and friends to evacuate if they're asked to do so. Property can be replaced. Lives can't. Be safe.

I certainly hope CNN and other stations do not play the town hall "scrimmage" given this horrific storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Politics need to take a back seat IMO.

I'm just curious. Do wild animals, rodents....etc...run to higher ground as storm approaches ?

Great question? I do know about 30 some years ago we had a rare earthquake. Hours before the minor tremors could not find the cat. Finally found her behind a bedroom dresser. She would not come out until the quake was over. Well over. Animals seem to know. I just hope those out in the elements have the instinct. Of course many of us dog owners are alerted before a thunderstorm hits as well. I pray they are safe. I worry for them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back