Hurricane Matthew - Sept-Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Our thoughts are with any who are in Matthew's path, from the Fl Panhandle. A few things we learned from Ivan, that left us without power for 2 weeks, longer than that in places- Start freezing water in any receptacle you can think of - ice is a precious commodity when the power is out, and the lines to get any are long. Same thing with gasoline..Fill the tubs and even washing machine with water - it can be used for flushing, washing dishes, etc. Have plenty of charcoal and a grill on hand to cook any food that thaws, then you can put the cooked food in ziploc bags, on ice. My honey is a Mcgyver type, so he rigged fans to be able to run off a car battery and used the marine submersible lights(that are used for flounder fishing at night) in a vase of water to light up several rooms. Candles are handy - place in front of a mirror to reflect more light. Batteries, of course, and flashlights, and important papers in a waterproof tote. May God bless y'all and keep you safe.

Our thoughts are with any who are in Matthew's path, from the Fl Panhandle. A few things we learned from Ivan, that left us without power for 2 weeks, longer than that in places- Start freezing water in any receptacle you can think of - ice is a precious commodity when the power is out, and the lines to get any are long. Same thing with gasoline..Fill the tubs and even washing machine with water - it can be used for flushing, washing dishes, etc. Have plenty of charcoal and a grill on hand to cook any food that thaws, then you can put the cooked food in ziploc bags, on ice. My honey is a Mcgyver type, so he rigged fans to be able to run off a car battery and used the marine submersible lights(that are used for flounder fishing at night) in a vase of water to light up several rooms. Candles are handy - place in front of a mirror to reflect more light. Batteries, of course, and flashlights, and important papers in a waterproof tote. May God bless y'all and keep you safe.

Your washing machine can be used to store ice and your dishwasher can keep important items water tight.

:scared:Eleven AM report: cat 4, 140 sustained, 165 gusts. 940 mb.

ETA: 450,000 ordered to evacuate from Duval Co. (Jacksonville area).
Damn. It strengthened much faster than I imagined! Now wondering if it actually could get to cat 5 again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Prayers out to all of our Websleuthers in Matthews path. Having ridden out Sandy my heart goes out to you all. I was very happy to hear my friend on the south coast of Dominican Republic survived (although the flooding was horrid), and now my thoughts and prayers are for you all in the south east coast. Hang on to your hats, gas up your cars, stockpile that water.

Also, we were without power for 3 weeks after sandy, refrigerators make awesome coolers. Just fill with ice. God bless!

Wow! That's some smart thinking! Your hubby definitely is McGyver!

The days following Sandy, the Red Cross came around and handed out hot dinners in "to go" styrofoam. What a blessing, because none of us were in the mood to stop cleaning to cook and sometimes we just forgot to eat!

When traffic was allowed back in for residents only (we stayed home throughout the storm even though it was mandatory evaculations), there was a mom with her two children driving around (who was able to gain access), stopping at homes where she could see people cleaning out. In the back seat they had hot chocolate and coffee urns, peanut butter sandwiches, cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches and snack cookies - and they were handing out homemade cards that said "don't be scared". I cried, it was so sweet how the community came together.

Bless all of you in Matthew's path! Stay safe!

Right now it looks like my Miami daughter will be safe - only voluntary evacuation of mobile homes. I still worry - she lives in Coconut Grove and has some big *advertiser censored* banyan trees abutting her house. Their shallow root system means they topple over in high winds and make a real mess. And they're huge! I think her house can handle it though. She told me her house has impact glass so they don't have shutters. Somehow that isn't comforting to me.

The West Palm Beach daughter is more worrisome. She says only voluntary evacuation right now, mostly because of storm surge. She's far enough away from the water so for now they're staying put. She made reservations at a hotel just in case. Again, like everyone who's been through a storm, it's the lack of power after that creates problems.

After Andrew it took nearly two months to get power back in our neighborhood. My mom was further south and her house was flattened. That put an end to my family's "hurricane party" attitude. When the first windows blew out things got real. I'll be thinking of my kids and all the people in the path of this monster.

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/news/hurricane-matthew-evacuation-orders-by-state

Wishing the best for those in the path of this monster storm. We live in SE NC and are hoping it stays out at sea as it passes. We live on the Harbor and one block from the beach so if the forecast changes, we are ready to leave. We should know more tomorrow. Everyone take this storm seriously, it's a doozy and very unpredictable. Thanks for all the tips everybody! Godspeed.

Oh Lordy I have been just watching updates. I pray folks heed the warnings. This thing is deadly. Stay safe everyone and check in when u can. We have not heard yet on Freeport Bahamas Condo. Don't care nobody is there. There are a few locals living in this gated community but last I heard they were heading to shelters.
ETA-stay safe Idra and Don!

Great suggestions. Adding a few from experience with power going out.

Gas grill worked great to boil water to make cofee and soups. Make sure to have propane tank filled for gas grill.

Be careful with all of the things mentioned as we seldom use them for purposes like generators and things and candles. So just be very careful where placing candles and make sure generator is shooting exhaust away from house outside if you have one.

Make sure extra gasoline in gas cans. I have 5 gas cans each with 5 gallons and i make sure all are filled. Be careful when taking them to gas station to not spill them and dont light cigarettes or anything when transporting. I tie them down good with bungee cords to make sure they dont tip over. I use about 10 bungee cords.

Have many flashlights handy. Not just 1. I have about 5 of them as they always seem to not work when needed. That way if one doesnt work I use one of the other ones.

Plan on the power going out. Assume it is going to go out and be ready when it happens.

Stay away from windows when wind is blowing hard. A tree branch or somethign else could hit the window and break it and you dont want to be near it when it happens.

Just be very careful with all the things you do and take things slowly. Dont rush.

Prayers for everyone affected.

Oh and the water tips were great. You cant get enough water. We buy gallons of it and have about 20 gallons at least when preparing for a major storm like this. It sounds crazy but you will be surprised how much water you need. 30 gallons would be even better. And you can always drink it later over the weeks if not used.

Yes thanks for all the great ideas. Very helpful to those in need.

Hurricane Matthew Prompts Cruise Itinerary Changes

October 6, 2016

(Updated October 5, 4:28 p.m. EDT) -- At least six cruise lines have rerouted ships in the Caribbean due to Hurricane Matthew, which has forced several ports to shut down.

Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Princess Cruises and Disney have adjusted a number of ships' itineraries to avoid the storm's path. Allure of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Majesty of the Seas, Carnival Splendor, Carnival Sensation, Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Pride, Carnival Victory, Carnival Elation, Island Princess, Norwegian Sky, Disney Dream and Fathom Adonia so far have been affected...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7255

Another thing about the water is that when the power goes out then the water companies cannot run their equipment that makes drinking the water safe so at least for me when the power goes out I stop drinking the water from the tap which is one reason why I like to have tons of bottles of water on hand.

The public service announcments to boil your tap water come out too late to notify you that the water is bad so to be on safe side I stop drinking the tap water unless I boil it as soon as power goes out. You have to assume that if power is out the water gets bad.

Confirmed tornado on the ground in Kansas according to the TWC special live coverage of Matthew . (362 direct tv)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE MATTHEW IS HEADED TOWARDS SOUTHEAST AND EAST
CENTRAL FLORIDA THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT...AND TOWARDS NORTHEAST
FLORIDA ON FRIDAY. THE LATEST NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER
FORECAST TRACK TURNS MATTHEW MORE TO THE NORTH NORTHWEST WHILE
NEARING THE FLORIDA EAST COAST THIS EVENING AND THEN MAKING LANDFALL
OR PARALLELING THE THE EAST CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST FLORIDA COAST AS A
CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE ON FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT. HURRICANE TO MAJOR
HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED FOR THE COASTAL AREAS AND ADJACENT
COASTAL WATERS. TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED FOR INLAND
AREAS. EVERYONE SHOULD RUSH THEIR HURRICANE PREPARATIONS TO COMPLETION
AND ANY REMAINING RELOCATIONS OR EVACUATIONS SHOULD BE
EXPEDITED AS CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE VERY RAPIDLY OVERNIGHT TONIGHT.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsig...Statement&lat=30.331&lon=-81.656#.V_aHr_ArLDd

Confirmed tornado on the ground in Kansas according to the TWC special live coverage of Matthew . (362 direct tv)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Looks to be a possible tornado East of Cofeeville Kansas in southeast corner of Kansas. That line of storms is heading toward north of Joplin Missouri .

People in South west Missouri get ready.

http://www.tornadohq.com/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back