Hurricane Matthew - Sept-Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hurricane Matthew update: Largest evacuation since Sandy
CNN
Updated 7:34 AM ET, Thu October 6, 2016

• Authorities urged more than 2 million people to leave their homes in coastal Florida, Georgia and South Carolina as the storm neared -- the largest mandatory evacuations in the United States since Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast in 2012.
• Based on the latest projections, Matthew could make landfall in Florida early Friday as a Category 4 hurricane. It could also skirt the coast as it continues north.
• The storm has already killed at least 15 people in several Caribbean countries.
• It's moving northwest at about 12 mph and packing 125 mph (205 kph) winds. Early Thursday it was about 60 miles (95 kilometers) southeast of Nassau, Bahamas, and 255 miles (410 kilometers) from West Palm Beach, Florida.
• If it strikes Florida, President Barack Obama warned, it could have a "devastating effect."

Hurricane Matthew regained strength overnight; expected to reach Category 4 strength near South Florida

Shortly after 6 a.m., the National Weather Service said the first outer rainbands from the storm were approaching the coasts of Miami-Dade and Broward counties bringing with it wind gusts that could reach 60 miles per hour.

Additionally, a flood watch has been issued for Palm Beach County that will be in effect until Friday afternoon.

At 5 a.m. the storm was 255 miles southeast of West Palm Beach at Category 3 strength - producing winds of 125 miles per hour, up from 115 miles per hour during the overnight hours. Satellite photos show a distinct and narrow eye re-emerging.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward from the storm up to 40 miles from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 160 miles.

[...]

Gov. Rick Scott activated another 1,000 members of the Florida National Guard, bringing the total to 2,500. He announced a suspension of tolls on Florida's Turnpike and other roads in the affected areas.

"Based on the most recent forecast I received from the National Hurricane Center, the eye of Hurricane Matthew is going to be much closer to Florida," Scott said. "Storm impacts will begin tomorrow morning in our state. There is still time to evacuate. Get out now if you are in an area with evacuations. If you make a decision not to leave before the storm, we cannot send someone to save you because you made a bad decision.”

Stay safe everyone! This is going to be devastating for so many including quite a few family members of ours on the east coast of FL. :praying:

No, our local news said it was the real thing.It was posted by Stu Ostro, Senior Director of Weather Communications at The Weather Channel, and was captured by NASA’s Earth Science division’s live satellite cameras.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/05/sinister-image-of-hurricane-matthew-captured-from-space/ And good morning! :)

And good morning to you. This better not be the last I morning I wake up with AC!! I like JIm but thought his tweet was amzingly stupid as good as he is."After Dinner" does not help too many.When I went to sleep, i expected (hoped) that the eye would expand again the tighter the eye the worse . ANdrew was like 11 he is still 17 and was a lot wider yesterday. Its kinda like a spring the more tightly wound.

This sound awful but it actually would be a bit better if the eye actually hit some damn land before chain sawing the state. There average in terms of being forecast tracks is "off" is like a 100 miles, so Forgot a lot of what of they say -

- follow the pressures that is what the real story is dropping from last read equals higher winds usually the next advisory-

which will now pick up in frquency where they are actually flying into the beast much moew often

What they do is drop things out (look like little bombs_) and on the way down it tramsits all sort of data.

Tropical%20System%203_20161006090546243_6270511_ver1.0_640_360.png

http://www.wftv.com/weather/matthew...is-expected-before-reaching-florida/453961818

Thanks all for the updates. Be safe.

Pressure dropping 940

for perspecitve

Ten lowest pressure in history wont cut and paste only doing a few !

10 ivan 910
7 katrina 902

2 gilbert 888

1 wilma 882

For perspective

RankHurricaneSeasonPressure
hPainHg
1Wilma200588226.05
2Gilbert198888826.23
3"Labor Day"193589226.34
4Rita200589526.43
5Allen198089926.55
6Camille196990026.58
7Katrina200590226.64
8Mitch199890526.73
Dean2007
10"Cuba"192491026.88
Ivan2004
Source: HURDAT[SUP][1][/SUP]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlantic_hurricane_records#By_pressure

This will be my son's first hurricane on his own. Hopefully, he will have cell service throughout. He's in school in Miami.

He assurd me he is prepared. Water. Flashlight. Canned goods. Beer.

Stay safe, everyone!

This will be my son's first hurricane on his own. Hopefully, he will have cell service throughout. He's in school in Miami.

Stay safe, everyone!

Manual can opener?

Jacksonville just expanded the evacuation to include Zone C, which includes a large part of downtown. Scary stuff. Thankfully I'm in Zone F, but I'm still worried about wind damage and extended lost of electricity.

Stay safe everyone.

Manual can opener?

Jacksonville just expanded the evacuation to include Zone C, which includes a large part of downtown. Scary stuff. Thankfully I'm in Zone F, but I'm still worried about wind damage and extended lost of electricity.

Stay safe everyone.

BBM Check!!

His building is hurricane proof. So far, no evacuation Campus is closed until further notice.

Stay safe, everyone!

We didn't lose cell service during Sandy, but I will say it's probably best for him to get some sort of backup power to charge the phone and not rely on electricity (the first thing to go out in a hurricane).

One of the things that we missed during our 2 weeks without power was to be able to charge our phones, especially in the first few days after the storm hit. We found ourselves "swimming" out to our car and using the car charger, but next time I'd be more prepared.

Sometimes, it's not just the storm to be wary of. After Charley hit, we had no electric for a couple weeks. The stores, ATMs, and gas stations weren't working either. People started stealing gas from cars and generators. Roads were covered with debris. It was a nightmare.

Stay safe, everyone!

Forget the canned goods!!! lol. Peanut butter, jelly/jam, and bread will go far. Beer is good. One thing we didn't lose was natural gas or water (stove/oven) so we were able to cook and clean.

But without electricity, it makes for VERY long, lonely nights.

If he can get a battery transistor radio that would be wonderful, while our cell phones were dead and and were sitting in the dark, it was a blessing to be able to hear what was going on in the outside world.

I do have local news on in background. But it has, when they go live, for a hurricane, always amused me

6:00 We go now live to Dale in Daytona.... bla bla bla

6:12 We go now to Dale in daytona bla bla bla

Now the real report at 6:12 should go like: Well Bob, not much has changed in the last 666 seconds! As you know Bob , hurricanes are not like airplanes. Hurricane Mathew has moved 16 feet since we last spoke. I will go out on a limb and state that there have been no massive changes in wind speeds, nor has Mathew changed its course and is now heading for RUssia. I will be back with all the latest in 20 minutes, back to you Bob!

Or live when its actually landfalling

6:00 Well, Bob it is windy and raining as hurricane Mathew makes landfall. Back to you bob

6:12 We now go live ....

Well Bob, it is, as you know, a hurricane and a hurricane consists of winds and rains. It is windy and raining here Bob. I ll be back with the latest in just a moment.
Lolol!!!😂

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Qmfr:

Actually, I take that back after reading the latest article on CNN...DON'T hunker down, lol...

"State officials in Florida, South Carolina and Georgia cautioned residents not to hunker down at home if they live in the hurricane's potential path."

2 million told to flee
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/05/us/hurricane-matthew-florida-carolinas/index.html

Eta: check out the "clam chowder" tweet at the above link :giggle:
Bwahahahaha!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Forget the canned goods!!! lol. Peanut butter, jelly/jam, and bread will go far. Beer is good. One thing we didn't lose was natural gas or water (stove/oven) so we were able to cook and clean.

But without electricity, it makes for VERY long, lonely nights.

If he can get a battery transistor radio that would be wonderful, while our cell phones were dead and and were sitting in the dark, it was a blessing to be able to hear what was going on in the outside world.

Luckily, his apartment is on campus grounds. He will be in good company. Maybe even have a face to face conversation!! Oh the horror!!

:scared:Eleven AM report: cat 4, 140 sustained, 165 gusts. 940 mb.

ETA: 450,000 ordered to evacuate from Duval Co. (Jacksonville area).

I do have local news on in background. But it has, when they go live, for a hurricane, always amused me

6:00 We go now live to Dale in Daytona.... bla bla bla

6:12 We go now to Dale in daytona bla bla bla

Now the real report at 6:12 should go like: Well Bob, not much has changed in the last 666 seconds! As you know Bob , hurricanes are not like airplanes. Hurricane Mathew has moved 16 feet since we last spoke. I will go out on a limb and state that there have been no massive changes in wind speeds, nor has Mathew changed its course and is now heading for RUssia. I will be back with all the latest in 20 minutes, back to you Bob!

Or live when its actually landfalling

6:00 Well, Bob it is windy and raining as hurricane Mathew makes landfall. Back to you bob

6:12 We now go live ....

Well Bob, it is, as you know, a hurricane and a hurricane consists of winds and rains. It is windy and raining here Bob. I ll be back with the latest in just a moment.

LOL, it's their time to shine!!!

Many of my local stations bring the 'big wig' retired guys in to help report on a major weather event.

They'll let you know everything from a palm tree quivering to a possible tornado touching down on your street.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back