Hurricane Sandy updates

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow on The Weather Channel they showed possible power outages all the way back to Chicago!!!

Just saw this on Wavy 10's facebook page

To all those individuals who have to access Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, Gate 1 is completely flooded so Gate 2 is the only operational gate that can be utilized to come onboard the hospital base. Please remember to stay safe in this bad weather.

Can I ask a huge favor? Please remember my mom Jan in your prayers tonight. She hasn't answered my calls this weekend (she usually calls back after a while anyway), but she's in her 80s, has mobility issues, and I don't think she realizes how big and bad this storm is.

Thanks so much...

Best-
Herding Cats

Herding, why don't you call the police to do a welfare check on your mom to see if she is alright?
It might give you some peace of mind, and under the circumstances, I don't think you should hesitate to do so. She might have fallen, and can't get to the phone! I had this happen to a friend who is disabled, and only 60. Please, please call the police to check on your mom.

\ Keep us posted if you're successful in checking on her!

Can I ask a huge favor? Please remember my mom Jan in your prayers tonight. She hasn't answered my calls this weekend (she usually calls back after a while anyway), but she's in her 80s, has mobility issues, and I don't think she realizes how big and bad this storm is.

Thanks so much...

Best-
Herding Cats

Hi, HC....for your mother, is there a neighbor or friend of hers that you could call to check on her? Or, maybe contact the emergency management or LE in the area...I know in Fl. during hurricanes they will send deputies out to check on the elderly and disabled that live alone and need help. Best wishes for your mother's safety....

Also here is a good link with NYT that has a running update of what's going on in the region:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/28/nyregion/hurricane-sandy.html

http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/vi...torists-should-be-prepared-fo/430948196953144

HAMPTON ROADS— The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) would like to alert residents to road, facility and bridge impacts as the effects of Hurricane Sandy intensify in the Hampton Roads region:

* The Jamestown-Scotland Ferry has stopped all operations due to high tides. Crews will monitor conditions and once it is safe to resume operations the ferry will be put back into service.
* Crews anticipate closing the Route 175 Causeway to Chincoteague at 10:15 p.m. As conditions deteriorate or change, additional facility updates will be given.
* The Interstate 264 east off ramp to Campostella is closed due to high water on the city streets.
* The Interstate 64 west off ramp to 15th view is closed due to high water on the city streets.
* The Interstate 264 east off ramp to Tidewater Drive is closed due to high water on the city streets.
* Interstate 264 west to City Hall Drive is closed due to high water on city streets.
* The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is now at level 4 wind restrictions.
* The Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel can be impacted by winds, tides, and storm surge. In the event this facility can no longer operate safely, the HRBT may be closed to motorists until the storm has passed and are deemed safe for travel.
* At this time, the Route 17 James River Bridge is not closed. However, one northbound lane and one southbound lane are closed due to unusually high tides on the access road to the James River Bridge.

Are you near Wilmington or Newark? Montgomery or Chester Co? Chester County is always so badly hit with downed trees and flooding also.

SW Chester co. We get so many outages here that they don't really faze me anymore from all the trees. I am not looking forward to going to work tomorrow, and my employer is not closed. I just hope the roads are passable to get back home. My fur kids will be waiting for me, so I would walk the 10 miles home if I had to!
But my heart goes out to those along the coast. I may lose a few trees at worst, but they may lose their homes, so I just think I am very fortunate!

My Nook ate my post. Trying again.
  1. praying hard
  2. thanks for the local links so i can watch and wait with yall
  3. our neighborhood group was getting our big pre-holiday clothing donations together.We are saving them backk to see if there will be a need from storm victims
  4. I live in Sc Grew up on an island off of SE GA. I know the uncertainty and anxiety ya'll are going through. Just hang in there.
  5. we bought extra dog and kitty food today just in cas there is a need.just dont tell mr red how much *extra*

It is just so odd to me to see people sharing concerns about staying warm after/during a tropical storm...

This is turning into a northeaster rather than a hurricane I think. They were reporting from NY that the temp felt that way rather than the heavy damp air you get with a hurricane. And no warning of tornadoes, so I guess this is different than what we get here in the south.

Oh
This is turning into a northeaster rather than a hurricane I think. They were reporting from NY that the temp felt that way rather than the heavy damp air you get with a hurricane. And no warning of tornadoes, so I guess this is different than what we get here in the south.

Oh i know. It just all seems so surreall,ya know?

yes, i couldn't believe how the temp dropped here, south florida, after it finally passed by. a jersey relative said its very erie quiet like outside.

yes, i couldn't believe how the temp dropped here, south florida, after it finally passed by. a jersey relative said its very erie quiet like outside.

Even here we got the weird stillness and light for a while this evening

it passed by here about 150 miles out to sea and the darn howling gave me a massive headache. I never get headaches, lol.

the track onto land changed a little on the 11 oclock report. Before it lookd like it was head into philly, now its going across the southern most part of jersey. its really going to tear up all the shore resorts down there.

the track onto land changed a little on the 11 oclock report. Before it lookd like it was head into philly, now its going across the southern most part of jersey. its really going to tear up all the shore resorts down there.

Yes it is.

{Shock} Temps in New York City are 57 degrees, what's up with that eh? Not forecast to go below 42 this week. Somethings upside down here lol...

Herding, do I remember you saying your mom is in NJ? Can you tell us what county?? My DD is in NJ, maybe she can check on her???

Just off the phone with my Mom. She's as prepared as she thinks she needs to be; I had her take the batteries out of the freezer and lined up on the kitchen counter, and walked her through bringing flashlights into the bed room and the living room. She has a full tank of gas, and "lots of protein bars and cereal." She has cat food, and a manual can opener (which is hard for her to use).

We talked about keeping the cell phone for emergencies, because if the power goes out, she won't be able to charge it (which she seemed to be surprised at...but then realized I was correct). I had her write down the phone numbers to the local LE, fire, and to the hospital, in case she needed help.

She gave me three different numbers - one to the super of the building, and two to the neighbors on either side of her.

She is aware that it will be "sort of big", and when I told her there were wind warnings in Ohio, she told me I was full of it. LOL. I think she doesn't realize how big the storm is...she understands it's strength, but I don't think she gets it's size.

I warned her to be prepared for a week without power, and she said she'd go to the library to charge the phone if need be. I explained (again) that if there was no power there, then she'd be in trouble, and she shouldn't be leaving the house anyway.

So...that's the state of things. I told her I'd call her tomorrow to check on her, and on Tuesday, and so on...and that if she needed anything, to call me, and I'd find a way to get her help. I even offered to fly in as close as I could, and then drive up, if she needed me there.

So, at least she's somewhat prepared. I'll worry less, but I'll still be worried...but at least she called me back, and like I said, seems to be at least somewhat aware of the storm's issues.

Just keep her in your prayers, if you remember. I am worried for her.

I will keep all of you in my prayers, too...this is a doozy of a storm, and I'm worried about everyone in it's path...especially the WS'ers. Hugs, love, and prayers for all of you.

Best-
Herding Cats

DC Maryland Virginia‏@DMVFollowers

This bridge in Newport News is almost underwater. pic.twitter.com/AFykYkvw

A6VtMrrCcAALnJ6.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads