Hurricane Sandy updates

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some cool wind but only a couple gusts here in Northeast NJ- Just got home from my son's soccer games so they were able to get that in with no problem. I don't know what they're waiting for to close the schools. New York City has already closed them and will be closing mass transit as will NJ...

My sister in Northern VA said nothing much is going on there yet- but she's also in bed with the flu so hasn't been outside at all...

Delaware had declared a limited state of emergency and of evacuations for coastal and flood-prone areas.

http://www.delmarvanow.com/viewart/...clares-limited-DE-state-emergency-evacuations

Delaware: for anyone with unaware friends in coastal Delaware, please let them know that Delaware Route 1 (the new beach xpressway) is already CLOSED due to dunes overrunning the roadway, with no plans on reopening it until after the storm comes and goes. Therefore, get on the road now, as you will have to take route 9 and that will be congested, and slooooow.

I'm in SE PA, on the border with Newark, DE. It's breezy with light rain. Not looking to see much if anything until tomorrow. Tomorrow through Tuesday will be a heck of a ride. I survived the extension ladder and the gutters are all ready, the deck is cleared off, and luckily for me, my trees have only about 25% foliage left. I am predicting I will lose power for at least three days, as I commonly do, and possibly up to a week. Also, I am keeping my fingers crossed that my driveway (100 ft long through a forest) does not become impassable. Especially since my whimpy girlie chain saw is electric....

For everyone - stay safe, drink lots and have fun.

Carry on!

what is the issue if the foliage is still on the trees?

The more leaves, the more wind resistance- the higher likelihood of branches, limbs, and entire trees coming down onto power lines, homes and roadways.

There is a poor lost pheasant wandering my backyard... Never seen her before, wonder if she is looking for someplace to be safe before the storm :(

There is a poor lost pheasant wandering my backyard... Never seen her before, wonder if she is looking for someplace to be safe before the storm :(

She's admiring your garden...Lady!

;)

I hope she finds a place QUICK!

:please:

I'm in Virginia Beach, and it's mostly windy and rainy. Some of the low lying areas are flooded already. The schools in all surrounding cities are closed tomorrow. We live 2 blocks from the Chesapeake Bay, and the storm surge is already pretty high.
We're going to stay and stick it out...we have 2 camp stoves, plenty of fuel and canned food, and our house is on somewhat of a hill. The power went out this morning at around 9 for an hour or so, but other than that nothing too serious yet. I'll check back in if anything changes.

She's nibbling the remains of my kale :crazy: she is welcome to have some. And I'm fairly sure it's a she, since like most female birds she is very sensible looking and not flashy like the menz :D Now though I'm not sure she is actually a pheasant, but instead a quail. Or a grouse. Whatever she is, I haven't seen her before, and I am now worried about her, along with the woodchuck that lives under my blackberry bush, and the two stray cats I've been feeding :panic:

I hope all the critters are safe. It's odd outside, there are absolutely no other birds around ATM. Still only some light drizzle and a small bit of wind. But they must know what is coming.

It's just a touch windy here and drizzly...several school system closures, including the kiddo's school (for both Monday and Tuesday). Nothing yet about work, but fingers crossed that if it does get bad I don't have to go in.

The more leaves, the more wind resistance- the higher likelihood of branches, limbs, and entire trees coming down onto power lines, homes and roadways.

Oh, my.....that's what I thought.

I have 2 large maples in my front yard still with most of their leaves. And we have high wind warnings from noon Monday until Tuesday at 4 pm with some wind sustaining 40 mph for an hour or longer; also may have gust up to 60 mph.

Thanks.

Am more concerned with all the individuals along the coast; please evacuate if you are told too; we want you safe and sound!!

I'm in Virginia Beach, and it's mostly windy and rainy. Some of the low lying areas are flooded already. The schools in all surrounding cities are closed tomorrow. We live 2 blocks from the Chesapeake Bay, and the storm surge is already pretty high.
We're going to stay and stick it out...we have 2 camp stoves, plenty of fuel and canned food, and our house is on somewhat of a hill. The power went out this morning at around 9 for an hour or so, but other than that nothing too serious yet. I'll check back in if anything changes.

Ocean,

Are you under emergency evacuation?

Mount Holly NWS: “THERE WILL BE MAJOR PROPERTY DAMAGE, INJURIES ARE PROBABLY UNAVOIDABLE”

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES...

1. IF YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO EVACUATE A COASTAL LOCATION BY STATE
AND LOCAL OFFICIALS, PLEASE DO SO.

2. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT TO EVACUATE, AND YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO RODE
OUT THE '62 STORM ON THE BARRIER ISLANDS, ASK THEM IF THEY COULD DO
IT AGAIN.

3. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT, THINK ABOUT YOUR LOVED ONES, THINK ABOUT
THE EMERGENCY RESPONDERS WHO WILL BE UNABLE TO REACH YOU WHEN YOU
MAKE THE PANICKED PHONE CALL TO BE RESCUED, THINK ABOUT THE
RESCUE/RECOVERY TEAMS WHO WILL RESCUE YOU IF YOU ARE INJURED OR
RECOVER YOUR REMAINS IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE.

4. SANDY IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM. THERE WILL BE MAJOR
PROPERTY DAMAGE, INJURIES ARE PROBABLY UNAVOIDABLE, BUT THE GOAL IS
ZERO FATALITIES.

5. IF YOU THINK THE STORM IS OVER-HYPED AND EXAGGERATED, PLEASE ERR
ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.

WE WISH EVERYONE IN HARMS WAY ALL THE BEST. STAY SAFE!
http://www.texasstormchasers.com/mo...rty-damage-injuries-are-probably-unavoidable/

Any update on PA residents? I think we are still just getting the high winds and rain. Praying for everyone.

I am Maryland. They have cancelled school for my kids tomorrow; most of the counties have closed already. I have put away the lawn furniture and tied down my trash cans. Oh and I remembered to take down my wind chimes and birdhouse this time....

Stay safe everybody. There is nothing more important than your safety so stay indoors.

If my power stays on, I will check in tomorrow when the worst is supposed to hit here.

They cancelled my kids school for Monday and Tuesday already but no word on the system I work in (I'm sure it will be cancelled but I hate waiting!). Waiting for gas to finish mowing my lawn! I wanted to get it in before it gets wet and then is too saturated to cut for a while.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971
Back