Hurricane Sandy updates

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here in central Jersey, it's getting very eerie. You always can tell a storm is a brewin when there's absolutely no one on the roads and everything outside is creepishly calm. We're not experiencing any winds or rain quite yet, although I know they'll be coming in the next few hours or so. Does anyone know the protocol for state of emergencies? I'm asking because my fiancee works at a local bank, and they are not planning on closing that particular branch tomorrow even though we're under a state of emergency. It really irks me as they always have the poor guy go in during horrible weather. I sometimes feel like reaming out the idiots who make him come in. He's putting his life at risk driving in such horrible conditions and those morons could care less. Are you not supposed to be on the roads during a state of emergency or what? So aggravated, I may need to take his keys and hide them in the AM.

Any update on PA residents? I think we are still just getting the high winds and rain. Praying for everyone.

Am in Philadelphia, Gov. Corbett and Mayor Nutter have already declared state of emergency. All Phila public and parochial schools are closed tomorrow, parochial closed on Tues. Phila city gov closed tomorrow'

Septa is shutting down all services at 12.00AM through tomorrow. There are 3 emergency shelters in opened as of 4pm today. Many many closures and cancellations, alas not my job as yet, though it is next to the Delaware in a notorius flooding zone, go figure. (smart move Septa and Mayor, my dumb behind would have gone to work if I had septa as a backup)

I have not had flooding near my home though the sewers have been slow forever, expect some street flooding. More concerned about power outages, wind damage, have trees next to the house. Found me some batteries, got candles, charged everything that can be, hoping for the best for everyone.

I'm in Virginia Beach, and it's mostly windy and rainy. Some of the low lying areas are flooded already. The schools in all surrounding cities are closed tomorrow. We live 2 blocks from the Chesapeake Bay, and the storm surge is already pretty high.
We're going to stay and stick it out...we have 2 camp stoves, plenty of fuel and canned food, and our house is on somewhat of a hill. The power went out this morning at around 9 for an hour or so, but other than that nothing too serious yet. I'll check back in if anything changes.

Our schools are closed for both Monday AND Tuesday. Most of the counties are closing for just Monday at this point, but it's nice to know ahead of time that my kids' school is closed both days. I imagine the others will do the same.

OceanEyes, stay safe down there - and keep us posted! What you're getting is coming our way... so give us updates when you can. :seeya:

She's nibbling the remains of my kale :crazy: she is welcome to have some. And I'm fairly sure it's a she, since like most female birds she is very sensible looking and not flashy like the menz :D Now though I'm not sure she is actually a pheasant, but instead a quail. Or a grouse. Whatever she is, I haven't seen her before, and I am now worried about her, along with the woodchuck that lives under my blackberry bush, and the two stray cats I've been feeding :panic:

I hope all the critters are safe. It's odd outside, there are absolutely no other birds around ATM. Still only some light drizzle and a small bit of wind. But they must know what is coming.

bbm

Kale? I'm movin' in! I'm addicted to kale chips and am about to make two batches from kale I got at the farmers market earlier in the week. Yummm...

It seems like every school district in Central Jersey, or maybe even the entire state, is closed on Monday and Tuesday.

It seems like every school district in Central Jersey, or maybe even the entire state, is closed on Monday and Tuesday.

Our local community college is open. They haven't even acknowledged the storm. I wish they'd get their stuff together around here. Everyone is in la la land lol.

University of DE cancelled classes Mon and Tues. over on my side of the border in PA, the schools are closed I think. My employer (a VERY large company in DE) instituted a safety program "I'm ok" where every single employee has to call their immediate supervisor and check in. But as of now, I am still supposed to be working tomorrow so I don't think I need to call, lol.

ten minutes ago
Henry Margusity ‏@Accu_Henry
We are now about 24 hours from landfall along the Jersey coast. This time tomorrow will be crazy.

I just saw flooding in North Wildwood, NJ. and heard snow is forecast for W. Virginia.

Dang. That picture of Ocean Beach is ominous... :no:

Just reminded me: we need to get DS's kayak also from the marina... We may need it - haha.

(ETA - seriously, we need to move it so it doesn't float away when the marina floods. The marina floods in just a heavy rain storm so I'm sure it will suffer over the next few days)

Belimom you are welcome to come have some kale anytime, I always have a huge patch of it, and eat it from the garden until snow covers it or until november/December when regular frosts finally kill it. Frost changes the taste a bit, makes it a little milder, but still really good!

So there is plenty for all. And I will be eating it some more if we run out of canned goods and perishables on hand lol.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristenLoren
Back