Hurricane Sandy updates

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
FYI: I know it's the net and all, but one of my FB friends has family/friends in Breezy Point and Long Island. The looters are posing as FEMA workers. :(

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/31/att-tmobile-hurricane-sandy_n_2051135.html

AT&T, T-Mobile Will Share Networks In New York And New Jersey As A Result Of Hurricane Sandy

AT&T and T-Mobile announced on Wednesday a plan to share their networks in New York and New Jersey. The move should help customers on both networks that are suffering spotty cell service in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.

Provided that users have compatible devices, they will be able to use whichever network is more functional in their area.

According to a press release issued via email on Wednesday, users should be able to switch seamlessly between either network; the release also says that users will not be hit with extra charges for the added service.

Omg I absolutely can't believe the call I just received. I just now found out that one street over from me flooded in the early morning hours, that the whole area in my neighborhood that lies along the river was flooded. We didn't have mandatory evacuations here, were told we'd get a call or door to door contact if we had to evacuate & would be given a couple hours notice - nothing. Omg.

Going down the street now to see the damage. Jesus.

Okay Jersey*Girl, I have not heard from you since you headed down into the flood zone. What are you doing and are you safe. You have not been on WS since this post yesterday and I have had no email from you after you headed down to the flood zone. Hoping you are okay but must admit am getting a bit concerned now.

eleph

You are right gitana, the faster the wind speed the more damage. One could only imagine how much more damage would have occurred with a Cat 5 storm coming in at this location. The water from the sea and harbor would have been pushed further inland and we might have seen 3x more damage than we see with Sandy today.

There is allot of damage with Sandy but the majority of it is caused by storm surge sea water. We see more deaths because more people are building homes closer to the oceans and waterways. The closer one lives to a waterway the more one should expect to receive damage from a hurricane.

Sandy also came ashore during high tide and the full moon made the tide even higher. A number of people on the islands and evacuation zones thought they could beat mother nature. I do understand it somewhat because I've always been safe enough to hunker down at my locations but depending on where people live, they should not take chances.

We learn from history or do we?

Here is an FAQ from the national Hurricane Center about Hurricanes and weather descriptions,

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/tcfaqHED.html

You will always have those who refuse to leave for one reason or the other. :banghead: For the most part, it was personal choice and not a lack of resources this time. It seems there were plans in place to move the homeless and those who were immobile.

"We" learned a lot from Katrina...not only from the storm itself, but the lack of coordination of the officials in handling it from beginning to end. New Orleans and the surrounding areas in LA and MS saw so much ferocious damage from it being a catagory 3, but the size of Sandy and how slow she moved, dumping tremendous amount of rain along with strong winds over almost half of the country...in many populated areas... make this just as horrific, yet much better managed for the most part. The storm surge just effected the coastal regions, but the storm after landfall was much worse than Katrina. IMO

You will always have those who refuse to leave for one reason or the other. :banghead: For the most part, it was personal choice and not a lack of resources this time. It seems there were plans in place to move the homeless and those who were immobile.

"We" learned a lot from Katrina...not only from the storm itself, but the lack of coordination of the officials in handling it from beginning to end. New Orleans and the surrounding areas in LA and MS saw so much ferocious damage from it being a catagory 3, but the size of Sandy and how slow she moved, dumping tremendous amount of rain along with strong winds over almost half of the country...in many populated areas... make this just as horrific, yet much better managed for the most part. The storm surge just effected the coastal regions, but the storm after landfall was much worse than Katrina. IMO

Several factors do come into play and yes size and population are two of them. Most of the collateral damage is to be expected, especially in areas not affected recently by hurricanes. Trees down and power outages are to be expected. Construction is another factor, older structures. Not built to hurricane construction standards all play a role. My point relating to the discussion was had Sandy been a Cat 3 storm, we would have seen more damage.

Several factors do come into play and yes size and population are two of them. Most of the collateral damage is to be expected, especially in areas not affected recently by hurricanes. Trees down and power outages are to be expected. Construction is another factor, older structures. Not built to hurricane construction standards all play a role. My point relating to the discussion was had Sandy been a Cat 3 storm, we would have seen more damage.

Agree, could you imagine an Andrew with the same path as Sandy? I found this while searching for research on October hurricanes. Suspect most of them are not up in category especially in the NE or Mid Atlantic because of the cooler temps, but found this article interesting. Has pics of Sandy also.

Climate Change And Hurricane Sandy: How Global Warming Might Have Made The Superstorm Worse

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/31/climate-change-hurricane-sandy-global-warming_n_2050516.html

October Hurricanes that made landfall:

http://www.stormpulse.com/storm-archive/us-landfalling-hurricanes/oct

FYI: I know it's the net and all, but one of my FB friends has family/friends in Breezy Point and Long Island. The looters are posing as FEMA workers. :(
I hope there's a special place in He** for such heartless "unusual people". In the meantime I hope they run into real cops and do some real time.

I hope the same good things are going on tht happened here. Churches were supplying good dinner every day. I drove up and got them for all my neighbors. FEMA will come if you file a report. i must have done it by phone because our power was out. Fema was giving people who apts got trashed 10 grand to cover their expenses. I thought that a little high, but thats what they did.

Agree, could you imagine an Andrew with the same path as Sandy? I found this while searching for research on October hurricanes. Suspect most of them are not up in category especially in the NE or Mid Atlantic because of the cooler temps, but found this article interesting. Has pics of Sandy also.

I was born in Miami and raised nearby in Hollywood, Fla. I wasn't there for Andrew but watched it all unfold. A Cat 5 Hurricane Andrew destroyed 25,524 homes and damaged another 101,241.

That's when they re-enforced building codes because builders were just throwing up houses to meet the demand.

Climate Change And Hurricane Sandy: How Global Warming Might Have Made The Superstorm Worse

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/31/climate-change-hurricane-sandy-global-warming_n_2050516.html
I think there will be anomalies in our weather from the past and into the future. I'm not quick to jump on the global warming bandwagon because we had a hurricane strike in the N.E. I think all hurricanes and tropical systems have their own data points and are extremely erratic due to low and high pressure systems, jet streams, el nino ect. I suppose I support the theory that hurricanes are basically unpredictable in nature.

Having said that I remember in Fla. before good radar systems. We would only get warnings after the first bands came through or boat captains radioed they were caught in storms. (dang, age myself much lol) Oh the national Hurricane Center has been doing an amazing job in path predictions and warnings.

Very interesting web site, thank-you.

I hope the same good things are going on tht happened here. Churches were supplying good dinner every day. I drove up and got them for all my neighbors. FEMA will come if you file a report. i must have done it by phone because our power was out. Fema was giving people who apts got trashed 10 grand to cover their expenses. I thought that a little high, but thats what they did.

This is wonderful to hear. Ten grand does sound high, but if you think of hotel cost, food, clothing and needed supplies I'm sure it would be gone in 3 months time at the most for a family of four...and that's hoping they still had a vehicle. Best just find another apt I guess. What would FEMA do for these people in the future since they had apts instead of a house? Even if they had rental insurance...would that cover water/floods/hurricane damage? Wow, if not!!!

More Hospital news, hope things work out soon.

Bellevue Hospital Evacuated After Backup Power Fails

Bellevue Hospital Center, New York City’s flagship public hospital and the premier trauma center in Manhattan, shut down Wednesday after fuel pumps for its backup power generators failed, and it worked into the night to evacuate the 300 patients left in its darkened building. There were 725 patients there when Hurricane Sandy hit.

At a news conference Wednesday night, Alan Aviles, the president of the Health and Hospitals Corporation, which runs Bellevue, described third-world conditions, with no hot water, no lab or radiology services and pails of water hauled up the stairs to use for flushing toilets.

More at link

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/n...rss&adxnnlx=1351759692-XUIpb/9uYWj4uh2j46iIng

I have a friend who needs help. Any advice for her?

I'm resuming my search for a place to stay in or near West Babylon NY, anyplace at all with power that can fit 3 beds -- either temporary, short-term, or long-term. I applied for FEMA housing assistance but can't wait to hear back from them before finding someplace to go. Anyone with any leads, or any info at all on temporary housing on Long Island, please message me. We need help and we need it in the next 2 weeks! Any help appreciated.

Two boys missing after being swept away by Sandy in Staten Island

“She was holding onto them, and the waves just kept coming and crashing and they were under,” the mother’s sister told the Daily News at her home. “It went over their heads … She had them in her arms, and a wave came and swept them out of her arms.”The mom was driving along Father Capodanno Blvd. on the island when the rushing waters trapped her and the two kids - ages 2 and 4 -inside the car. Glenda Moore managed to escape the quickly-flooding vehicle and free both boys from their car seats, only to lose her desperate struggle with Mother Nature.
The mom was helping to lead the hunt despite suffering hypothermia during a night spend outside during the worst of the storm.
According to the sister, a dripping-wet Moore banged on doors looking for help in the middle of the hurricane, but couldn’t find anyone willing to help her.
"They answered the door and said, 'I don't know you. I'm not going to help you,’” said the sister.
Moore spent the night huddled on a doorstep as the hurricane’s assault continued. At daybreak, her sister said, the desperate mother walked until she found a police car and related her heart-breaking story.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...y-floodwaters-article-1.1195095#ixzz2AydE2KXt

I don't live in the area, but would that be typical for folks to refuse to help someone, especially considering how everyone seems to pull together during disasters like hurricanes?

I'm torn between the probable tragic loss of these boys if they were swept away, and the confusion of the story. Perhaps it's the reporting that is confusing....:waitasec:

This is just so so sad. And no one would open the door for the poor woman! I'm sure she was probably screaming for help. Just so sad.

I apologize for the skepticism, as these poor little boys are probably gone... :(

My husband saw the false Amber Alert in PG County near our home recently, and came home to look up the story. Just as we were debating what to do - go out and look? - it came out that the story was false.

That is fresh in my mind.

I hope they find the boys...

I used to do real estate right near this area. As soon as I heard this story I was immediately suspect. Father Capadano Blvd is RIGHT on the beach. Why in the world would a parent put two little kids in danger like this in the middle of a hurricane. And the idea that people wouldn't help her? I find that really unlikely. Something about this story is wrong.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=fath...=us&ei=aIaSUMz1O4-I0QG31IGQDg&ved=0CCMQ8gEwAA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24
Back