Hurricane Sandy updates

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree. While I do understand Mayor B.'s position, this strikes me as more than a bit callous.

I'm not a hero,’ Mr Candelaria said. ‘What was I supposed to do? Sit at home and watch a man drown and take pictures to post on Facebook? … That's not me.’

loved this line!

It's mind boggling to me that anyone is even considering running or holding the marathon.

The arguments for holding it leave me shaking my head.

It will bring money to the city? All the cash in the world can't turn the power on faster, rescue people from their homes, pump more gas to the region, get the water out of the subways, create more hotel rooms or places to stay, provide food/water/warm dry clothing/shelter for those left homeless by the storms, or put out the fires.

A lot of money has already been spent? Tell it to the people whose insurance deductible has been bumped up to $5K, who can't get to work, whose businesses have been destroyed, and who have lost everything they own.

The runners have trained for months? Yeah, there are people who have lost every memory and memento from their whole life.

It will be a morale boost and/or prove how resilient New Yorkers are? If they spend energy on a sport, a hobby, while others are struggling to stay alive and while bodies are still being pulled from flooded homes, all it proves is how self-centered and egotistical the runners and organizers are.

Unbelievable.

i think it is wrong for all the reasons listed above...i think bloomberg is cracked...moo

With every new report the story, incident, becomes more and more confusing. Could the homeowner have been confused when he said he saw a man? Maybe the mom's hair was flattened due to all the rain and wind and he thought she was a man...a very small man.

I've heard so many different things about this...first they were in their mother's arms, then they were on the roof of the SUV and now that she had them both in her arms and they were clinging to a tree for hours.

Whatever happened, two little precious boys are gone. :(

In order to play the Devil's advocate, I'm trying to come up with reasons why the race should be run.

Well.....how about:

"It takes more than a hurricane to stop this great city. Run the race, let the world see us overcoming this challenge."

"All progress is forward progress. We can't shelter in place, we must live in the present."

"We can cover this race, personnel-wise, while at the same time giving maximum effort to the problems of recovery."

They do sound a bit lame, but perhaps there's method in the mayor's madness.

But Dave Zirin's friend Anthony from Brooklyn, in the initial post, said the truth, I think. It's "beyond wrong."

If I were on the fence (which I'm totally not) this post on the marathon's facebook page from a first responder would convince me:

https://www.facebook.com/ingnycm

I am a NYC 911 paramedic. I have been at work since Saturday and was not able to go home yet since my car was flooded by this storm. I have worked countless of hours this week. I have climbed more than 300 flights of stairs these last few days. Myself and my co workers are exhausted beyond belief, because the people who change shifts with us either lost theirs homes/cars, do not have gas, or any means to get here into manhattan. I have run out of clean uniform, have been showering in cold water because the hospitals are running low on generator power. All the hospitals below 40th street have taxed their resources and running on fumes or have been evacuated. Ambulances are running low on diesel and gas.

To have this marathon this weekend is beyond any energy that myself or that of my coworkers have. All the water and blankets and food that are given to these runners can be better utilized to those who lost everything and to shelters. I understand that 45,000 people from around the country and the world have come here for this, but I am sorry, NYC is beyond disaster. Just because north of 40th street looks as if nothing happened, downtown looks as if a nuclear bomb went off and only left standing infrastructure. To have this marathon is selfish, and dangerous. Your EMS/Fire/Police personnel are beyond exhausted, mentally and physically.

Also this, from The Nation link above:
Simon Ressner is a lieutenant at the New York Fire Department and a marathon runner. I’ll give his perspective a lot more weight than that of Mike Bloomberg and George Hirsch. Ressner told The New York Times, that emergency personnel are deeply stressed, covering everything from their typical duties to making sure stray fires aren’t sparked as hundreds line up at gas stations to fill cans and containers. “I’ve written two e-mails to the Road Runners saying, ‘Just postpone it’”, he said. “That way, you’ll still get the money, you’ll still have a high-profile event, but it would show that you’re being sensitive. But now, we’re not going to show the world we’re resilient, we’re going to show them we’re selfish.”

It's mind boggling to me that anyone is even considering running or holding the marathon.

The arguments for holding it leave me shaking my head.

It will bring money to the city? All the cash in the world can't turn the power on faster, rescue people from their homes, pump more gas to the region, get the water out of the subways, create more hotel rooms or places to stay, provide food/water/warm dry clothing/shelter for those left homeless by the storms, or put out the fires.

A lot of money has already been spent? Tell it to the people whose insurance deductible has been bumped up to $5K, who can't get to work, whose businesses have been destroyed, and who have lost everything they own.

The runners have trained for months? Yeah, there are people who have lost every memory and memento from their whole life.

It will be a morale boost and/or prove how resilient New Yorkers are? If they spend energy on a sport, a hobby, while others are struggling to stay alive and while bodies are still being pulled from flooded homes, all it proves is how self-centered and egotistical the runners and organizers are.

Unbelievable.
Thanks button not nearly enough.

I think it's not only selfish, but dangerous, to hold the marathon. Things are definitely not sanitary right now; and, if a runner should have a medical emergency, the hospitals, Drs., RNs, EMTs, and all other first responders are far too busy to tend to their issues...and should NOT be asked to do so.

If I could, I'd fly back there and start hauling waste, or pounding nails, or sweeping glass, or whatever I could do to help.

I think that it would be a wonderful display if the marathoners decided to not race, and volunteered at a shelter, or used the energy to push a broom, or work to move cars, or just anything at all to help those in need...and while they're at it, donate a pint of blood. There's something like 45,000 people in this...that's a whole lot of very desperately needed blood, you know?

Good grief. I can't find any reason that this race should continue...
not.one.single.reason.

Best-
Herding Cats

Something just something doesn't sound right with the story, from all sides. From his side of it, if someone threw a flowerpot at my house then I wouldn't let them in but i would certainly call 911 and report it. Granted 911 was overloaded at this point but I would have called.

The thing is, even if he had called 911 for help her find her kids, they probably would not have sent anyone out because first responders are ordered NOT to go out in the midst of the storm and chaos. Once the winds hit a certain speed we are told to stay in place. We are not to put ourselves, our equipment and our fellow first responders in danger, in such conditions.

Perhaps it is the media and sloppy reporting but her story isn't adding up coherently. Was she really out in that weather for 12 hours? At what point did he lose the kids because in one story she says they were on the porch with her but another story says she was on the porch asking for help to find them. So which is it?

I am sorry for the mother's loss because it is really a tragedy to lose your children like that. But I would like the truth to come out, not just the sensationalized and warped versions of it that promoted to grab headlines or to put blame on people (or to play race card).

Bottom line, she made a very foolish choice by being out in that weather, alone with 2 small children. That doesn't mean she deserves what happens or that I am blaming her.

There is enough chaos and tragedy in the aftermath of Sandy without adding to it.

Am now checking for a "race canceled" article. (See post above, "breaking news.")

NBC News reported it.

NBC News ‏@NBCNews
The New York City Marathon has been canceled this Sunday - sources

Right now all sources I've seen say the race is off. Now it's a matter of "canceled" v. "postponed."

AP reporting it's canceled. As opposed to being "postponed," I take it.

Tweets like this certainly didn't hurt bringing about a sane decision:
Michael Skolnik ‏@MichaelSkolnik
The NYC Marathon's generators could power 400 homes in Staten Island! POSTPONE the NYC Marathon PLEASE RETWEET

I was just coming to share.

So glad someone came to their senses.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StacyStacyStacy