I am no longer receiving e-mail notifications for my subscriptions - please help!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Florida said:
I am very tired of trying to figure this out. We all need to email Tricia and ask if she has contacted Xmission regarding our problem.
That sounds like the best next step.

Yep, Florida, I'm so tired of trying to figure this out that I can't even think how to temporarily turn off Norton Antivirus to try the links Teedie gave. Lol, we may be getting brain damaged.

At least we're learning some tech stuff, which Admin may not care to learn. I clicked the AOL Postmaster link and printed out those hints, which I haven't even read yet. Since AOL may be a problem, should we wait a few more days to see if any more join us? The more the merrier. It shouldn't be much bother to just call AOL or whatever. Happens at times on at least one of my other forums that somebody with the same IP # got banned, so I have to contact the administrator, but it's always fixed right away.

I went into Settings, Index, Internet, Security, and made all four of those Icon things DEFAULT just now, opened Restricted Sites list, SITES, removed " .1-domain-registrations.com ", jotted it down in case I have to replace it. I'll see what happens before looking up the one exception to DEFAULT settings that Teedie mentioned. Oh dear, there's people on the roof next door and I have to close my vertical blinds I'd opened to get more light. Good thing I didn't want to sleep in. They're throwing the old shingles into a pickup right outside my window. Must be six or more of them.

Pybird, please let us hear from you this morning, Camper too, okay? We're not only concerned for you. You're also moral support for us 3 AOL's.

You have Spybot and/or Adaware and some Scanner Cleaners including the ones Teedie mentioned? I plan to try them if my brain wakes up with a memory of how to temporarily turn off Norton AntiVirus. SpyBlaster3.3 is also good. "They say" those adware intruders unknown to you can mess up your settings! Never did before but I got rid of it anyway. Eagle

Eagle1 said:
If quite a few people start having problems, it'd be like a Petition, not just AOL members asking too many favors. I wonder how much bother it is to look for another server or software or whatever you call it? Did she find this one on some list? We're "dug in", in other words, better be careful about rocking our boat too much w/out some others. Hate to wish this on anyone, but at least we can still get into the forum. It was also bad when we'd have 62-75 Notifications per 4 hrs during the Terri case.
Don't get me wrong; I'm certainly not complaining about administration, I'm just frustrated with the difficulty. I don't get the sense that any of us have an axe to grind; just trying to get to the bottom of this problem.

Teedie, FWIW, AOL said that the MailerDaemon messages I've received are spoof e-mails. They explained how it works but not really why. So in any case, they are not a result of any virus or worm, etc.

They also said to set AOL as my default, (which I did), mentioned the other "solutions" that you've all mentioned before, (which we've all done long ago), and said to contact the administrators to call AOL. So IMO, it's case solved. We've done everything AOL has said to do, many of you have set and reset various things in your systems while others of us have left our settings as they were, we've run all kinds of virus scans & defrag's, etc. but the problem still exists for each one of us. Some of us are experiencing somewhat different problems but that also seem to have popped up in close proximity to when ours did, and not all of us experiencing problems are on AOL, or using Outlook Express, etc. There are enough variations in the types of problems, the types of systems, the types of settings, and the types of ISP's that I'm resigning myself to the fact that this is an external problem outside of my control. I know that my system & settings are okay, and I am happy that at least I can follow the threads by getting into User CP.

Please don't misunderstand. I will still be here to listen to all of you, and offer advice when I have some but I'm not doing anything else to try to fix this within my computer. The only thing that we're not sure has been tried is for administration to contact AOL about gateway problems. But if we've been grandfathered in, so to speak, then I guess we might just have to accept what we've got because at least we were fortunate enough to join before AOL members were not allowed to, (if what Eagle has mentioned is true).

I'll check in here whenever I see a new post but I am so confident that this isn't a problem with our settings that I'm not going to bother trying to figure it out for myself anymore. But like I said, I'm still here for all of you! :)

Florida said:
From Teedie: Under Browsing: Reuse windows for launching shortcuts. Default is enabled.

Okay this was checked when I went into Advanced settings. I assume that means enabled. So I unchecked it. I stopped receiving notices from another forum of replies to posts. So, I went back in and checked it and am now getting the emails (from another forum).

I am very tired of trying to figure this out. We all need to email Tricia and ask if she has contacted Xmission regarding our problem.

Florida, I am so sorry I even mentioned this on this thread. It does NOT have anything to do with the notifications problems. I apologize.

Disabled (not checked) lets you open windows independent of each other, which is very convenient. That's really the only default I change, because I like the way it lets you view windows.

JerseyGirl: Teedie, FWIW, AOL said that the MailerDaemon messages I've received are spoof e-mails. They explained how it works but not really why. So in any case, they are not a result of any virus or worm, etc....

I'm really happy to hear that JerseyGirl. I get enough of those from Paypal and eBay pretenders! There is danger in those, tho.

AOL reassured you that these spoofs aren't trying to harm your computer, and you can just delete them and not worry...?

I wonder if any of your other compadres are getting these spoof emails..

Do you like AOL? I remember a number of years ago when people tried to change from AOL and couldn't get rid of everything, and finally there was a lawsuit against AOL by these people who were trying to get off AOL. AOL had to change their software.

I sure hope these problems will be solved.

Eagle is right about AOL. It has something to with not being able to ban an AOL member without banning all AOL members the last I knew. At least that is what I have heard at other forums/blogs.

Teedie, I was glad you posted that as I have often wondered how people get all these different windows open on their screen at one time. I will check it out again.

No emails creeping through for me.

No Mailer-Daemon spoofs.

And I don't know about banning affecting all AOL's, don't know if our changing IP #'s are always the same as each others'. I didn't mention anything about banning, but maybe you're on to something? Where'd you get that?

I don't think my husband would change from AOL although others may be cheaper. All or nearly all of our grown kids have it, and the three grandkids. My oldest and her husband tried msn or something for a while one time, came back to AOL. Anyone ever had Netscape? You know, the two guys do the commercial and one's server is more expensive, so when asked something about it he says, "I'm a Netscape guy."

Glad you told us about some people not being able to get away from AOL, but my daughter and her husband didn't have any trouble that I know about. I will try to remember to ask.

But do you suppose we ought to delete that whole thing, Jersey Girl, should have put it in PM's? I will if you will.

I wonder if they've found out anything more about the jogging bride. Last I heard, the groom passed a lie detector test by his lawyer, is afraid of being framed, I guess, if he lets LE do it w/out videotaping. There was a plowed field. Is that the dirt someone mentioned? I have put off all day going to the store, out of milk, bread, everything, better go now.

Hey Eagle...Holding my breath to see if this goes thru. lol It is my first post of the day. Last night I posted several times with no problems. I've been on this site all day following the JW case.

I use Outlook Express, McAfee Anti-Virus & Firewall, Ad-aware, Spybot, and Spyblaster. I have a cable connection. I don't think any of these are the reason for the problem, of course I have no idea what is!

I used AOL for years before getting my cable connection. I was a member of WS at that time, too. I do not recall having problems. But, I've always been more of a lurker than a poster.

BTW, I did not have any problems with AOL when I quit their service, but I've heard of many that did.

Hoping all of us get everything in proper working order. :)

Gonna copy this post just in case!

The problem with leaving AOL was with a verision of software they released. They had to revise it, served them right! People were going nuts! So after that version, there was no problem about leaving. Have no idea about prior versions. Maybe AOL thought they could just lock people in, but it wasn't allowed.

Eagle1 said:
And I don't know about banning affecting all AOL's, don't know if our changing IP #'s are always the same as each others'. I didn't mention anything about banning, but maybe you're on to something? Where'd you get that?

I have seen Loretta over at Misfitting talking about this issue Eagle. She has too many regulars over there on AOL or she would be happy to ban all AOL people, lol. I am just a lurker there. Trolls just love AOL!! I think, just guessing, that may be why they don't accept AOL here any more, cause they can't control them like others. But I do think there are quite a few people here on AOL. They just don't subscribe to forums or need PM's about Private Messages.

I emailed Tricia on 4/23 about our problem. She responded right away. I think I will email her again and ask her if her Tech guy has been able to follow through. Keep you posted. After Jag and Greta, that is . . . .

Thanks for the info, another forum maybe that I'd like to see because there's so many AOL people there, and you're good at communicating, Florida. So's JerseyGirl. Anybody but me.

Guess you've all heard, Jennifer Wilbanks called collect, had bought the ticket to Las Vegas a week earlier, and it appears John knew all along. I haven't yet heard any other details.

Assume you have been up riding the Jennifer roller coaster tonight Eagle. What a ride. www.Misfitting.com is a blog Loretta has. She posts here as Celestrill II. They have a poster named Karenancy that was up transcribing Fox last night for a good account of what that coverage was if you slept through Greta's visit with the family.

I never did email Tricia. Too tired to compose now. It's been a long night.

It's from Political Pavilion, a thread I don't think I ever posted in or heard of! So I may delete ONE from the subscription list in Edit Options, to see if I start getting anything from it. Anything's worth a try.

Now I'm taking notice of the "Details" link whenever I get a Notification, and can't tell if this came from Cookies Tracking, from FFJ, or, vBulletinMail via PHP, or all of the above. "Primary Host Name" is Forums for Justice, in the added list about abuse, but "Sender Address Domain - xmission.com" AOL-IP 66.98.176.96, so do we all have that number today? Where to check it, I forget. Sorry. Somebody tell me. This has been crazy-making.

AOL sounds like it'd be so simple for an Admin to just call them to unblock something or other. Some of us have had to make contact with Admins at other forums who immediately knew what to do, that we'd had the same ISP numbers as someone somewhere who'd been blocked, simple as that. They could apparently check that our names weren't that one, or, I really don't know how they do it. Was it Court TV? I hardly ever go there any more.

Wbsleuth@xMission.com is spelled w/out a 2nd "s" in our address books, right?

Did I tell everyone that a tech-forum admin said I could quote him that it doesn't sound like an XP problem but maybe a Date/Time one? I was re-reading through a stack of printouts and noticed that ServicePack2 would have changed any DEFAULT settings that needed changing because of it, right JerseyGirl?

You don't mind, I'm sure, Florida, if I check out the forum link you gave, maybe even register because the more forums we have, to compare with this one, the better off we may be. Also I forgot to answer your question about where my PM notification came from so you could add it to your list. It was Forums for Justice, owned by Tricia. Another one came from cookie tracking. We can protect the cookies we want to keep, when cleaning, remember, everyone. You had a good idea, everyone add FFJ to your allowed list and/or address list (does it take both?) but you gotta find it with a search. I can't remember the URL from my bookmarks. Sorry. Editing again to say, instead of deleting just one subscription, I'm trying to thin out my subscription list. Down from 23 pgs to about 17 now. Maybe I had too many. Eagle

teedie2 said:
JerseyGirl: Teedie, FWIW, AOL said that the MailerDaemon messages I've received are spoof e-mails. They explained how it works but not really why. So in any case, they are not a result of any virus or worm, etc....

I'm really happy to hear that JerseyGirl. I get enough of those from Paypal and eBay pretenders! There is danger in those, tho.

AOL reassured you that these spoofs aren't trying to harm your computer, and you can just delete them and not worry...?

I wonder if any of your other compadres are getting these spoof emails..

Do you like AOL?
I, myself, love AOL. I tried to switch to Comcast, and in fact pay for a Comcast account but just couldn't get used to it. So I got AOL for Broadband as well.

I forwarded the e-mails to AOL but they explained how to check to make sure that they are 'simple' spoof e-mails, (something about these e-mails being used to test spam filters). I've gotten these e-mails through the years but decided to check on them again just in case.

Eagle1 said:
Did I tell everyone that a tech-forum admin said I could quote him that it doesn't sound like an XP problem but maybe a Date/Time one? I was re-reading through a stack of printouts and noticed that ServicePack2 would have changed any DEFAULT settings that needed changing because of it, right JerseyGirl?
I don't know what the Service Packs do but I believe they contain patches to fix known bugs within the Windows program, (among other things?). I also don't what it was that downloaded recently or exactly when it did.

Service Pack 2 was actually installed on my computer very shortly after I purchased it, (September 2004). So apparently that is not what recently installed automatically. I wonder what did ... lol!

As I was shutting down last night it said installing something, must have been very short, hardly stopped the shutdown at all. I have no idea what it was. I think there's an icon on the desktop for Windows Updates, probably explains them Some of us may have been forgetting to click "Save" at the bottom of the Edit Options page after changing Notification Types.

Hope somebody can get admin to contact AOL for us, probably much more simple than they would think. Meanwhile I think I'll try "No Notifications" in Edit Options, momentarily. It worked when my printer somehow got a wrong setting, quarter of a page-size printing, when LETTER-SIZE was checked, so I just turned it off and back on quickly. It worked. Simple solution.

I had another notification this morning, from Political Pavilion, guess you read above. That's 5 in about a month. I don't think I'd ever heard of the thread, much less posted in it, but that might just be my memory, or lack therof. I'm gradually thinning out Subscriptions List too. We gotta always remember to always click go or save when they're there, and sometimes even restart. Eagle

JerseyGirl, Eagle1, just pm'd both of you. Please reply with info in a PM, not on forum. Tks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocky.marie
Back