IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question, when Dave was supposed to turn right instead of left, is there a 4 way stop or a light at the intersection
He would have had a stop sign when he got off of Rt 20, but cars going north-south on N14 appear to have the right of way.

20-71.jpg

I apologize if this has been talked about before, but I was wondering in the livestock hauling business, if these trucking companies bid on these hauling jobs? I work in a totally different industry, but work with many contractors, trucking companies, etc. And jobs are being bid all the time. Alot of the larger trucking companies/contractors are able to give better bids, thus getting the jobs. I overheard an independent trucker once state that he wasn't getting the work because he was always outbid by larger trucking companies. I didn't know if livestock haulers work in that way also. Just wondering if it could have been an issue with someone/another company having some resentment and having nothing to do with DS. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time?? JMO

I apologize if this has been talked about before, but I was wondering in the livestock hauling business, if these trucking companies bid on these hauling jobs? I work in a totally different industry, but work with many contractors, trucking companies, etc. And jobs are being bid all the time. Alot of the larger trucking companies/contractors are able to give better bids, thus getting the jobs. I overheard an independent trucker once state that he wasn't getting the work because he was always outbid by larger trucking companies. I didn't know if livestock haulers work in that way also. Just wondering if it could have been an issue with someone/another company having some resentment and having nothing to do with DS. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time?? JMO
I think it s typically on a mileage basis, so many $ per mile from load to delivery point. This is not practical on this type short haul, so it may be headcount or weight. I know some of the cattle out of FL to NB are on $ per mile and pay very well.
Actually lots of cattle are bought and sold by weight. Truck weighed empty, loaded, weighed out (same driver/fuel ). That is the cattle.
Weighed in upon receipt. Paid if the agreed shrinkage is in line.
Probably why bull haulers have a rep for running fast and long...
There are always the rate cutters in trucking. Some just greedy, some are more efficient operators and can move it cheaper and still make money. There may be cases of some jealousy due to losing a shippers business, but I would think it would have been long simmering personal grudge to culminate in a planned murder.

DS would have been an independent trucker.
David would have been one of those small independents. He owned his own truck. Only the trailer was corporate owned.

Sarah Schultz holds a coat similar to the one found near her husband's abandoned truck at her home in Wall Lake. David Schultz has been missing since Nov. 21, when his semi-trailer truck was found on Sac County Road N-14 with a load of pigs inside. (Jesse Brothers/Sioux City Journal)Sarah Schultz holds a coat similar to the one found near her husband's abandoned truck at her home in Wall Lake. David Schultz has been missing since Nov. 21, when his semi-trailer truck was found on Sac County Road N-14 with a load of pigs inside.

WALL LAKE — On a Thursday morning, in Sarah Schultz's eat-in kitchen, two pairs of muddy children's hiking boots lay scattered on the wood floor underneath a green chalkboard. Printed in big dusty letters on the chalkboard was the message: "Bring Dave home."
"I don't mean this to sound critical, but we're getting a whole bunch of keyboard detectives and Perry Masons out here who are like, 'Well, did you check this?' This isn't Day One, if you know what I mean," he said. "What we're trying to do is prioritize them. Things that we know we can already dispute go in one pile. Things that are just absolutely ludicrous and absurd go into another and, then, the ones we think are valuable (are investigated)."

McClure said the FBI isn't involved in the case, but he said that doesn't mean that, "down the road," it won't be asked to assist. He said there is no indication a federal crime was committed.
qhttps://www.thegazette.com/news/iowa-truck-drivers-disappearance-prompts-theories-but-no-answers/q

There is a nationwide labor shortage for all truckers and Iowa has more pigs to haul than anyone else. They are also short of drivers and it appears part of the concern for the victim was that he was exhausted from the volume and schedule of livestock hauling.

Sarah Schultz holds a coat similar to the one found near her husband's abandoned truck at her home in Wall Lake. David Schultz has been missing since Nov. 21, when his semi-trailer truck was found on Sac County Road N-14 with a load of pigs inside. (Jesse Brothers/Sioux City Journal)'s abandoned truck at her home in Wall Lake. David Schultz has been missing since Nov. 21, when his semi-trailer truck was found on Sac County Road N-14 with a load of pigs inside. (Jesse Brothers/Sioux City Journal)Sarah Schultz holds a coat similar to the one found near her husband's abandoned truck at her home in Wall Lake. David Schultz has been missing since Nov. 21, when his semi-trailer truck was found on Sac County Road N-14 with a load of pigs inside.

WALL LAKE — On a Thursday morning, in Sarah Schultz's eat-in kitchen, two pairs of muddy children's hiking boots lay scattered on the wood floor underneath a green chalkboard. Printed in big dusty letters on the chalkboard was the message: "Bring Dave home."
"I don't mean this to sound critical, but we're getting a whole bunch of keyboard detectives and Perry Masons out here who are like, 'Well, did you check this?' This isn't Day One, if you know what I mean," he said. "What we're trying to do is prioritize them. Things that we know we can already dispute go in one pile. Things that are just absolutely ludicrous and absurd go into another and, then, the ones we think are valuable (are investigated)."

McClure said the FBI isn't involved in the case, but he said that doesn't mean that, "down the road," it won't be asked to assist. He said there is no indication a federal crime was committed.
qhttps://www.thegazette.com/news/iowa-truck-drivers-disappearance-prompts-theories-but-no-answers/q
Link to the link:

I keep coming back to him turning right instead of left. I feel like that's at the crux of what happened. It does not sound like this would have been an unfamiliar area or route for him. On top of that, there is GPS and other nav systems. So what made him go the wrong direction?

Possibilities:
-Forced to drive that way by someone else in the truck or who enters truck at the stop
-Turned the wrong way because he is suffering some sort of medical event that causes him confusion, whether he realizes it or not
-Turned that way by choice to go somewhere else or meet someone purposely not on his actual path
-I guess I should put down turned that way totally by accident/got lost but I just don't think that's realistic for him

Any others? Looking at this list, I don't even know which one I think is most likely. If his truck was found going the right direction, that would open up more possibilities to me (like stopped to help a stranded motorist, someone was blocking the road, etc). But he wasn't going the right way. If someone he knew planned to target him by blocking the road or flagging him down, how could they have known he'd go the wrong way ahead of time? If he was planning to take off of his own accord, why did he have to go the wrong way? It's not like his truck was inconspicuous when it was sitting in the middle of a road, so he may as well have left it in the middle of the road going the right way. This is the part that just doesn't make sense to me.

I keep coming back to him turning right instead of left. I feel like that's at the crux of what happened. It does not sound like this would have been an unfamiliar area or route for him. On top of that, there is GPS and other nav systems. So what made him go the wrong direction?

Possibilities:
-Forced to drive that way by someone else in the truck or who enters truck at the stop
-Turned the wrong way because he is suffering some sort of medical event that causes him confusion, whether he realizes it or not
-Turned that way by choice to go somewhere else or meet someone purposely not on his actual path
-I guess I should put down turned that way totally by accident/got lost but I just don't think that's realistic for him

Any others? Looking at this list, I don't even know which one I think is most likely. If his truck was found going the right direction, that would open up more possibilities to me (like stopping to help a stranded motorist, someone blocking the road, etc). But he wasn't going the right way. If someone he knew planned to target him by blocking the road or flagging him down, how could they have known he'd go the wrong way ahead of time? If he was planning to take off of his own accord, why did he have to go the wrong way? It's not like his truck was inconspicuous when it was sitting in the middle of a road, so he may as well have left it in the middle of the road going the right way. This is the part that just doesn't make sense to me.
If he was taken it had to be someone that knew he was running late and would be there. I think he saw something or heard something. People on drugs/alcohol can snap at any time. So much of it everywhere.

We’ve determined that somewhere between that intersection where he turned the wrong way and where the truck ended up something went funny with the timing (it took him much longer to get from A to B than it should have). Presumably, LE knows exactly where that time was lost. Did he sit at the intersection an extra however many minutes and then speed off? Did he barely stop but then drove really slowly? It should be obvious from phone data exactly what those movements were and I think that’s a key missing piece. I think if LE suspected this was a medical event or self harm, they would be more explicit about exactly what was going on during those missing minutes. JMO

I wonder if the delay in David's truck travelling along N14/Union Avenue could be as simple as him pulling up at the stop sign at the Hwy 20/71 intersection, and for whatever reason sitting there for a few minutes trying to decide: "Left or right? Left or right? Left or right?"

I wonder if the delay in David's truck travelling along N14/Union Avenue could be as simple as him pulling up at the stop sign at the Hwy 20/71 intersection, and for whatever reason sitting there for a few minutes trying to decide: "Left or right? Left or right? Left or right?"
He grew up in the area.

Well. If David was doing something illicit, and his phone call at Marker 126 was along the lines of, "Meet me at Union and 190th in about an hour," he could be absolutely anywhere. Not just in Iowa, but the country. Almost certainly dead, and likely never to be found.
Would they not have also taken his cash, though? That’s a huge oddity to me when I think of this with any foul play slant.

I really don't think DS was doing something bad. <modsnip - referenced posts removed> Remember, my opinion only and I'm just throwing things around. Always a possibility he did self harm and hasn't been found. Could possibility be random, and he knew or saw something. But with most cases, it's always a known person of the victim. Maybe it's personal. I don't know. There was cash in his wallet, they or the person didn't take it. If DS wanted to disappear, this would of gave him a good start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm "spitballing", but could someone in another vehicle have been following him? Someone he knew? Someone who knew his route and his destination? Someone who was angry with him for some reason?

Maybe he managed to pull a distance ahead of them, purposely turned down the wrong road in an attempt to elude them, shut off the truck and lights, quickly jumped out, leaving his belongings and money, and tried to flee on foot. The person (persons?) might've caught up with him, and then ???

Granted ... it would be pretty hard to elude someone while driving a semi, but perhaps it could be a possibility?

Would they not have also taken his cash, though? That’s a huge oddity to me when I think of this with any foul play slant.

I agree, and I don't really think David was involved with anything illicit. <modsnip - referenced posts removed>

This is a strange case because no matter how much new information we get, none of it actually seems to help.

I agree, and I don't really think David was involved with anything illicit. <modsnip - referenced posts removed>

This is a strange case because no matter how much new information we get, none of it actually seems to help.
I know. It‘s all muddy.

I wonder where in his truck his wallet was found. When truckers are loading, would they in general leave their wallet and phone locked in the cab, so as not to lose them in a barn? Would they just lock up the entire cab, or would they lock them in a separate compartment inside it, like a locked glove box? I’m sure it all depends on the person and their comfort level with where they are, so I’m just wondering in general if the wallet and phone were visible to LE immediately, like on the passenger seat, or if they found them elsewhere. I imagine the phone would be right there, but could his wallet have been locked up from the loading site?

ETA: If this was some bizarre random attack, and if his wallet was locked in a glove box or somewhere, perhaps that accounts for the coat and those other items being found in the ditch as the perps could have searched the coat pockets for money. But then why take him away? Nothing makes sense in any scenario!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member