IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an excellent and very long article which answers a lot of questions, debunks a few theories (including a couple of mine), and corrects some incorrect information.

A plaid jacket, pocketknife, cellphone charger and towel were found in the ditch; no mention of gloves or muck boots. The yellow truck IS new, or at least new to Dave. The video from Marker 126 is clearly Dave and he appears to be alone in the truck. The friend feeds hogs and saw the truck both on the way and on the way back at 5:30am and 7:30am respectively; knew it was Dave's truck but assumed Dave was handling whatever the problem was.

I think potentially the most important part of the article could be this:

Sarah said her husband, who has high blood pressure, would often complain he was tired and remark, "I can't take this." But when she would respond, "Maybe you need to find another job," he would dismiss her suggestion.

That sounds a bit ominous to me.
BBM Did the jacket change colors? I thought it was orange? I don't remember if LE actually showed Sarah the items found and asked her if they really were David's? How could what was found now be so far off what was originally stated?

I wouldn't consider David a "long-haul trucker". Long-haul Trucker or Over the Road Truckers (OTR) are living on the road for weeks at a time and eat fast food, convivence store/truck stop food all of which are not all that healthy. OTR drivers sit in their seat driving until they reach their destination or run out of hours, then sleep, get up and do it again. No exercise, no sports, no activities, only work and sleep, day in and day out. Until they get home and spend a few days there relaxing and then it's back out on the road again. Very unhealthy lifestyle.

David was likely home more than a few days a week, and had meals at home when able. Pictures of David show he is not overweight, unlike a lot of OTR drivers are.

I think David's comment about not being able to take this might have had more to do with being run ragged, more so than not being able to take it because of his health. Everyone gets burned out if pushed to hard. It sounds like the guy David hauled for pushed the guys he had hired pretty hard since David needed to run three loads that day, even knowing his family was in town visiting. I think David is the kind of guy that can't say "No, I need to take sometime off".

JMO

My point was truckers have a stressful job, whether they are long-haul truckers or not.

We don't know how many loads on average David had to deliver, but as you indicated, he had 3 loads to do, even with relatives visiting. Also, he may have had to deliver hogs outside of his normal pick-up and drop-off area(s), resulting in overnights away from home.

And David may have not had healthy eating habits whether he was home or not. We don't know what he ate on a regular basis, even though he was quite thin.

ETA: Was he a smoker? Is that why one of the truck's windows was rolled down? If he was a smoker, this fact may have resulted in his high blood-pressure issue.

JMVHO.

Last edited:
If he chose to end his life, I’m reminded that Sarah said in the really long interview with J L R that he wouldn’t do that because “it’s a sin,” which got me thinking that he may be inclined to take steps to never be found so his family would never know, which he may feel would hurt them even more.

Could he have called a taxi from a burner phone to pick him up where the truck was found? How far away are taxi services in that area? (Guessing quite a distance away.)

I’d like to think if such a scenario occurred, the driver would, by now, let LE know he had a strange long distance pickup that night, but maybe he was paid well to stay quiet. All MOO of course.
It’s funny you mentioned a burner phone. I have been thinking about that lately. If David’s was a voluntary disappearance, and involved someone else, was he using the burner phone to communicate with the other person?
Was he talking on a burner phone in the video from Marker 126?
Did he stop there rather than Sparky’s because only the pumps were open, (not the convenience store), and there’d be less people around?
Was he finalizing his plans for his disappearance? Where he would meet them? ETA?
If he had the burner phone when he left the truck, there’d be less risk than taking the traceable cell.
The strange combination of scattered items seems staged to me; much like a criminal who tries to make a homicide look like a robbery gone bad by opening drawers and strewing things around, but FORGETTING TO TAKE THE VALUABLES.

The strange combination of scattered items seems staged to me; much like a criminal who tries to make a homicide look like a robbery gone bad by opening drawers and strewing things around, but FORGETTING TO TAKE THE VALUABLES.
Respectfully snipping and bolding your post
This is exactly what went through my mind. It feels staged. I'm not sure if I think it was David or someone else who staged it.

It’s funny you mentioned a burner phone. I have been thinking about that lately. If David’s was a voluntary disappearance, and involved someone else, was he using the burner phone to communicate with the other person?
Did he stop there rather than Sparky’s because only the pumps were open, (not the convenience store), and there’d be less people around?
Was he finalizing his plans for his disappearance? Where he would meet them? ETA?
If he had the burner phone when he left the truck, there’d be less risk than taking the traceable cell.
In the recent Moriah Wilson case, they were able to tell her phone was active until right before she was senselessly killed. She had just sent someone a file, but I think phone data can also show if a phone is off, in hibernate, apps being opened, and so on. I hope DCI is analyzing it in detail with all the time stamps and such. If his phone wasn’t touched after Eagle Grove, but they saw him with a phone at M126, hmmmm…

You make a very good point about the staging.

Of course if David staged it, we still don't know if he's alive or dead. He could have left to start a new life and not wanted his family to suspect anything, but equally he could have taken his own life and not wanted his family to suspect anything.

If David was seen talking on a phone at Marker 126, but the phone found in his truck didn't make that call, that would be incredibly suspicious.

I'm not sure what to think of the items found in the ditch. The pocketknife and phone charger might have just fallen out of his jacket pocket. But a towel?

Did he have a Fitbit or Apple Watch or anything of the sort that can be tracked?
Sarah said David was a man of the 80's and didn't even know how to use Email. I doubt he had a Fitbit or an Apple watch. Sarah said David was "scrolling" his phone at Marker 126 when seen on video, so I'm at least assuming his phone is a smart phone, but maybe not.

JMO

Of course if David staged it, we still don't know if he's alive or dead. He could have left to start a new life and not wanted his family to suspect anything, but equally he could have taken his own life and not wanted his family to suspect anything.

If David was seen talking on a phone at Marker 126, but the phone found in his truck didn't make that call, that would be incredibly suspicious.

I'm not sure what to think of the items found in the ditch. The pocketknife and phone charger might have just fallen out of his jacket pocket. But a towel?
I think the towel could possibly have been a small hand towel, aka rag. Something he might keep in his pocket to wipe his hands off at times. Not a bath towel.

Could be for sure. IIRC SS said in one interview he wore Legendary Whitetails and they do make an orange plaid.

Do you have a link to that interview, please? I don't think I've seen/read that one.

Sarah said the jacket found in the ditch was one she bought David just last Christmas or the Christmas before. If David was very much set in his ways, and liked to wear particular brands of clothing, drive a particular brand of truck, etc. then his jacket would probably be something like this:

I think the towel could possibly have been a small hand towel, aka rag. Something he might keep in his pocket to wipe his hands off at times. Not a bath towel.

Good point. So everything might have just fallen out of a pocket.

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

David Schultz is missing and, under Websleuths' Victim Friendly policy in TOS, he and his family members are considered victims unless or until LE indicates otherwise.

Members who make accusations or insinuations against the victim(s) will receive a permanent ban from this discussion .

Do you have a link to that interview, please? I don't think I've seen/read that one.

Sarah said the jacket found in the ditch was one she bought David just last Christmas or the Christmas before. If David was very much set in his ways, and liked to wear particular brands of clothing, drive a particular brand of truck, etc. then his jacket would probably be something like this:

Good point. So everything might have just fallen out of a pocket.
In the 52 min interview linked here the other day, she said the jacket was an old orange one that should have been tossed. I’m curious to read it may have been newer.

In the 52 min interview linked here the other day, she said the jacket was an old orange one that should have been tossed. I’m curious to read it may have been newer.

BBM

"I want my husband. It's exhausting. It's awful," Sarah said sobbing, as she clutched a plaid flannel shirt jacket that belongs to her husband. A similar jacket was found in a ditch on the side of the road opposite David's truck. She gave him that jacket last Christmas.

The article makes it sound like the jacket found in the ditch was given last Christmas. I suppose the article could be poorly worded.

Not that the brand of David's jacket really matters in the grand scheme of things, but it does appear Sarah is holding a Legendary Whitetails jacket:

657c945e2b518.image.jpg

6575_FEPL_MAIN_FRONT.jpg

Not that the brand of David's jacket really matters in the grand scheme of things, but it does appear Sarah is holding a Legendary Whitetails jacket:

View attachment 468634

View attachment 468633
Thanks! I think it’d be easy to call it by the dominant color scheme and not “plaid” or “orange plaid” as a lot of worker jackets are plaid.

Thanks! I think it’d be easy to call it by the dominant color scheme and not “plaid” or “orange plaid” as a lot of worker jackets are plaid.

I'm not even sure what colour you would call that. It's kind of brown/orange/ochre on a background of dark blue/green/grey.

Legendary Whitetails call it "Field Track Plaid" but all that really tells you is that it's an earthy tone.

Just calling it "plaid" is less stressful than trying to figure it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members