IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's something interesting
This story sounds super fishy. Kinda sounds like the guy needed a story for his wife for some lost time. Also, if true, the assailant kidnapped both the man and the car. In David's case, the kidnapper would already be driving a car, yet kidnap David to drive their own car or truck. That seems pretty useless to me.

This story sounds super fishy. Kinda sounds like the guy needed a story for his wife for some lost time. Also, if true, the assailant kidnapped both the man and the car. In David's case, the kidnapper would already be driving a car, yet kidnap David to drive their own car or truck. That seems pretty useless to me.
My point was that people get kidnapped to drive. This same suspect did it to 2 people in Iowa.

I noticed on the link for the violations, he had a couple for 'lighting', does that mean his porch light was out, the top of the cab lights, or a headlight/tail light? I didn't see any description of which 'lighting' it was referring to.
Was this a traffic violation? Lighting also refers to hunting deer at night with large flashlight or spotlight. The deer freeze when the light is shined making it easy to shoot them. This practice is illegal. I know previously it was mentioned that he loved hunting.

Was this a traffic violation? Lighting also refers to hunting deer at night with large flashlight or spotlight. The deer freeze when the light is shined making it easy to shoot them. This practice is illegal. I know previously it was mentioned that he loved hunting.
Guess it would depend on how it’s cited… usually hunting related violations are noted as OV - ordinance violations and vehicle related matters are TR - traffic infraction….

David's most recent violations, in August 2022, were during a post-accident inspection. The tornado incident was a year earlier and seemingly with a different truck, so he must have had another accident.

These are the three violations cited:

393.78 -- Windshield Wiping and Washing Systems
Vehicles manufactured on or after December 25, 1968. Each bus, truck, and truck-tractor manufactured on or after December 25, 1968, must have a windshield wiping system that meets the requirements of FMVSS No. 104 (S4.1) in effect on the date of manufacture. Each of these vehicles must have a windshield washing system that meets the requirements of FMVSS No. 104 (S4.2.2) in effect on the date of manufacture.

390.21T(b) -- Marking of self-propelled CMVs and intermodal equipment
Nature of marking. The marking must display the following information:
(1) The legal name or a single trade name of the motor carrier operating the self-propelled CMV, as listed on the motor carrier identification report (Form MCS–150) and submitted in accordance with § 390.19T.
(2) The identification number issued by FMCSA to the motor carrier or intermodal equipment provider, preceded by the letters “USDOT.”
(3) If the name of any person other than the operating carrier appears on the CMV, the name of the operating carrier must be followed by the information required by paragraphs (b)(1) and (2) of this section, and be preceded by the words “operated by.”
(4) Other identifying information may be displayed on the vehicle if it is not inconsistent with the information required by this paragraph (b).

393.9(a) -- Lamps operable, prohibition of obstructions of lamps and reflectors
All lamps required by this subpart shall be capable of being operated at all times. This paragraph shall not be construed to require that any auxiliary or additional lamp be capable of operating at all times.

Just a thought, and trying to look at this from a different perspective.

The truck wasn't found and nobody began searching until 14 hours after the truck was parked at 12:40am.

If the darkness in the area would make it difficult to walk away across fields, what about waiting until sunrise at 7:00am? There would still be 8 hours before the truck was found at 3:00pm. Can we even be 100% certain there was nobody in the truck when it was spotted at 5:30am?

I have no better opinions today than I did the day after DS went missing.
Is it just me?

Was this domestic?
Was this work related?
Was this road rage?
Did DS stumble across a crime?
Was this a 'need a new life' situation?
Was this suicide?

I'm surprised that we aren't further along at this time.

I have no better opinions today than I did the day after DS went missing.
Is it just me?

Was this domestic?
Was this work related?
Was this road rage?
Did DS stumble across a crime?
Was this a 'need a new life' situation?
Was this suicide?

I'm surprised that we aren't further along at this time.
Same. I’ve adjusted my feelings over the past few weeks but honestly, am sorta back to having no idea. I also think they need to re-search the area where the truck was found, say 2-3 miles around it, in case he was missed. We’ve all seen cases where the person was missed and found months later by a passerby.

Wish we knew if he had a gun and if it’s missing. Obviously he was a hunter, but did he have any other guns?

Wife of missing Wall Lake truck driver David Schultz: 'I want my husband. It's exhausting. It's awful'

New interview with SH.
Edit to add: I disabled popup blocker and was able to go around pay wall.

This is an excellent and very long article which answers a lot of questions, debunks a few theories (including a couple of mine), and corrects some incorrect information.

A plaid jacket, pocketknife, cellphone charger and towel were found in the ditch; no mention of gloves or muck boots. The yellow truck IS new, or at least new to Dave. The video from Marker 126 is clearly Dave and he appears to be alone in the truck. The friend feeds hogs and saw the truck both on the way and on the way back at 5:30am and 7:30am respectively; knew it was Dave's truck but assumed Dave was handling whatever the problem was.

I think potentially the most important part of the article could be this:

Sarah said her husband, who has high blood pressure, would often complain he was tired and remark, "I can't take this." But when she would respond, "Maybe you need to find another job," he would dismiss her suggestion.

That sounds a bit ominous to me.

This is an excellent and very long article which answers a lot of questions, debunks a few theories (including a couple of mine), and corrects some incorrect information.

A plaid jacket, pocketknife, cellphone charger and towel were found in the ditch; no mention of gloves or muck boots. The yellow truck IS new, or at least new to Dave. The video from Marker 126 is clearly Dave and he appears to be alone in the truck. The friend feeds hogs and saw the truck both on the way and on the way back at 5:30am and 7:30am respectively; knew it was Dave's truck but assumed Dave was handling whatever the problem was.

I think potentially the most important part of the article could be this:

Sarah said her husband, who has high blood pressure, would often complain he was tired and remark, "I can't take this." But when she would respond, "Maybe you need to find another job," he would dismiss her suggestion.

That sounds a bit ominous to me.

RBBM

Yes, it does.

Our next-door neighbor was a trucker. He seemed okay; then I heard he'd passed in his early 50s of a heart attack.

ETA: Here's a link to a study of illness in long-haul truckers.

Methods

Drivers were recruited from company sites and truck stops in North Carolina, Tennessee, and Mississippi. A sample of 266 drivers was assessed for life-style activities; body mass index and blood pressure were measured, and biologic samples were taken for cholesterol, diabetes, and STI/HIV testing.

Results​

The drivers in this study had higher levels of cholesterol and higher rates of smoking, obesity, and diabetes than the U.S average. STI/HIV infection rates were lower than the U.S. average.

Conclusions​

Long-haul truck driving is a stressful occupation with few opportunities for healthy living. Stress reduction, wellness programs, and better food and exercise options at truck stops should be adopted for the benefit of truckers and the safety of the driving public.

Health Risks of American Long Distance Truckers: Results from a Multi-Site Assessment

JMVHO.

Last edited:
Video from interview for those that can't get past the paywall.

This is the most coherent Sarah has sounded in any of the videos I've seen so far.

Based on this video, she's either an Oscar-worthy actor, or she had absolutely no involvement in whatever has happened to David. I've questioned some of her other interviews, but she comes across as genuine in this one.

Found the following part of the article regarding fingerprints interesting. (Obviously didn't treat the truck as a crime scene and preserved any evidence by not letting everyone climb in and out of the truck after being found) In the earlier interview Sarah did with JLR Investigates, she said David's mechanic drove the truck from where it was found on the highway to his shop, then a few days later LE took the truck. I assume this was to do a forensic examination. By that time at least two different people drove the truck and who knows how many climbed in and out of the truck by LE and as it sat unsecure at the mechanics shop. Not sure if "taken items out for forensic examination" means swabs for DNA take from the truck or just on perhaps such things as the articles found in the ditch and electronics. I would imagine any DNA from a suspect that would have possibly been on the truck was contaminated by the time the truck was examined as well.

A single fingerprint found on a ransom note no doubt led to the Craig N. Ross Jr. who kidnapped a 9 year old girl while riding her bike in New York earlier this year in September. If this fingerprint would have been destroyed by mishandling of the letter by Barney, Golmer and the rest of the gang, that 9 year old girl would likely not have been found alive. I'm glad for this girls sake the investigators on this investigation didn't think fingerprints only work really good on TV. (WS thread and article linked below)

From linked article up thread:

McClure said investigators have done search warrants and "taken items out for forensic examination," but haven't dusted the truck for fingerprints.

"That works really good on TV. In 36 years, I've made one case on fingerprints," he said. "The problem is, every time you touch something, depending on the type of surface, whether it's a porous surface, a smooth surface, or whatever, they smudge. And, then, if you have multiple touches on it, then they just smudge even more and you get print on top of print."

JMO

The break in the case had come after officers stationed at the girl's home saw someone drop a ransom note in the family's mailbox before dawn. State police matched fingerprints on the note to Ross, who was in a database because of a 1999 drunken driving case.
JMO

Last edited:
I don't know. Her recent interview seems convincing, but little things still bother me. I'm pretty self reliant, what on earth does this have to do with your missing husband. Why wasn't any of his family there with her during interviewing to give her support? Rub her back, touch her hand? Maybe they can't get around, I don't know. Remember, this is all my opinion. Going out to dinner with your daughter? What? I'm weird with this one. The very beginning of all this, she's frantic, but u went to dinner. I'd be, daughter , I love but..I'm going to go look for my husband. Maybe she felt there wasn't much for her to do. I know, I know, everyone reacts differently. But I still don't believe everything she says. But I am still trying to give her the benefit of doubt. Ps. I couldn't see any tears, but my phone stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member