IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still wouldn't rule out a medical episode/emergency. Cases like Jason Landry or Noah Donohue come to mind. Jason has been missing for 3 years now, his clothes were all over the floor. Noah's body was found a week later in a small storm drain. In some acute events, people manage to hide away in the oddest places unfortunately. I hope this is not the case here but it's certainly a possibility

I can't remember which interview it was, but I'm sure Sarah said David would throw his wallet onto the top of the dashboard when he got in the truck, because it wasn't comfortable for him g to drive with it in his pocket.
This is common or was. My wallets bulge in left hip pocket was uncomfortable after many miles. I would remove it an I placed mine on my luggage/bag sitting between the seats. In reach but not visible.
Comments: In my day we left the tractor idling while loading.
Kept the air system up while loading and built up the battery from sitting a few hours waiting to load. Auction in afternoon, load at dark, run all night.
Another was we did not lock the drivers door getting out to load back then. Safer age, but most times the door was visible at a glance while you worked. Do not know of the typical loading now. May be you, truck and someone in the barn driving them on.

<modsnip - no link/rumor> I asked if there would have been a stop sign at the intersection he turned the wrong way. Just using my imagination but let's say there's someone on foot at the intersection that flags him down and says "my car is broken down just up the road, can you give me a ride". Dave does and arrives at a car that he's forced into. I can't come up with any reason to have that window down in the cold

Apparently, once a load of pigs is loaded, the doors to the trailer are closed and locked. Does anyone know if msm has posted about them being unlocked when they found the rig?
Would the trailer doors also have a security seal on them, in addition to a lock?
trailer seal - Google Search
ETA: I realize that no pigs were taken (would be difficult anyway because, pigs), just asking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the trailer doors also have a security seal on them, in addition to a lock?
trailer seal - Google Search
ETA: I realize that no pigs were taken. (would be difficult anyway because, pigs), just asking.
We never did have either for livestock. You were loaded so many at A, hauled to B, opened the doors and same number came off. It was not like you could drop by the house and set off a piece or two of freight. Any shortage was on you. needed a loading facility to steal; and still, what did YOU do with them? You had the pen...

Grudge settlements are more important than money sometimes. And in the active act of venting your pent up rage, might not be concerned with other details. And this actually often results in the clues being left that apprehend them.

Agreed, and if he was killed by another, I think the truck was driven away from where his body was left by whomever did the terrible deed (somewhere between M126 and the intersection the truck turned the wrong way on). I hope they left enough evidence behind to be caught.

Yes super remote but that’s Iowa. A lot of counties in Iowa have remote land, houses etc. Iowa is mostly flat farmland. This time of year and having no snow he should be easy to find if he’s laying somewhere deceased imo
It is impossible to adequately search this area for a body, without hundreds of people walking it on a grid search. These guys could have a body very close to them and never see it.

1703014098964.png

It is impossible to adequately search this area for a body, without hundreds of people walking it on a grid search. These guys could have a body very close to them and never see it.

View attachment 468994

Yesssssssssss. My thoughts exactly since after the first few days... Even though they have claimed to have re-searched the immediate area, do we know if it was done the way it should have been done?

View attachment 468994

Also, have they used any "regular" drones with cameras, or just thermal imaging drones? I don't believe they've indicated that they have, but I hope they did.

Yesssssssssss. My thoughts exactly since after the first few days... Even though they have claimed to have re-searched the immediate area, do we know if it was done the way it should have been done?

I don't see how it possibly could have been done the way it "should" have been done. And that's not intended as a knock on them. They had a huge amount of ground to cover and they wanted to cover it quickly. But it would be SO, SO easy to miss something. ATVS are not the way to find bodies hidden in cornfields, IMO.

Even the drones. IMO thermal imaging won't find a cold, dead body, only the heat from a live or recently deceased person. The drone footage might spot bright clothing, but we haven't even been told what he was wearing. If David wore something of a similar colour to his new jacket... good look spotting THAT from high up.

Also, have they used any "regular" drones with cameras, or just thermal imaging drones? I don't believe they've indicated that they have, but I hope they did.

I'm fairly sure a thermal imaging drone would also carry a normal camera. I'd be shocked if it didn't.

I don't see how it possibly could have been done the way it "should" have been done. And that's not intended as a knock on them. They had a huge amount of ground to cover and they wanted to cover it quickly. But it would be SO, SO easy to miss something. ATVS are not the way to find bodies hidden in cornfields, IMO.

Even the drones. IMO thermal imaging won't find a cold, dead body, only the heat from a live or recently deceased person. The drone footage might spot bright clothing, but we haven't even been told what he was wearing. If David wore something of a similar colour to his new jacket... good look spotting THAT from high up.

I'm fairly sure a thermal imaging drone would also carry a normal camera. I'd be shocked if it didn't.
Not sure about this part of the state, but in my area, many farmers have crp/set aside acres. It would be very easy to overlook something or someone in these patches of land.

Drones, ATV's, reportedly some on horseback, and aircraft with infrared. They did what they could with limited funds and personnel,

I'm not criticizing the search but calling it "thorough" is a stretch. MOO
I just want to address the idea that a body is lying out in plain sight and would be easily found.

I realize not everyone is going to read this entire thread and see that a number of people have already explained the difficulty of finding a body, some will continue to comment that he should or would have been found if he was somewhere in those hundreds of acres.

No sure it would be "easy" to miss a body lying in plain sight, you would probably see him. It would be possible to miss if it was in tall grass, a plow row or a deeper change in the ground surface. Sadly, bodies are missed and not found until later sometimes in the search area.

They used a trailing dog at the beginning. I wonder why no HRD K9. The ground/area isn't contaminated for the dog no matter how many people have been there, the dog is only looking for deceased scent.

Whatever happened to David, I am sad for him and his family.
JMO

No sure it would be "easy" to miss a body lying in plain sight, you would probably see him.
My post was about the difficulty of finding a body in those fields.
I said, "I just want to address the idea that a body is lying out in plain sight and would be easily found." The idea is incorrect.
They used a trailing dog at the beginning. I wonder why no HRD K9. The ground/area isn't contaminated for the dog no matter how many people have been there, the dog is only looking for deceased scent.
A K9 track was only able to follow him north for 400 ft, Cars driving over the area, and the high winds and delay of at least 12 hours would certainly disturb or destroy any scent trail.
K9 tracking dogs are not cadaver dogs.

Last edited:
I said, "I just want to address the idea that a body is lying out in plain sight and would be easily found." The idea is incorrect.

A K9 track was only able to follow him north for 400 ft, Cars driving over the area, and the high winds and delay of at least 12 hours would certainly disturb or destroy any scent trail.
I'd love to get confirmation on the field entrance supposedly 400' north. LE did not state this in their press release. It seems that info came from a newspaper article on 12/16 as a caption on a photo. Sarah mentioned the field entrance in an interview but without mentioning distance, etc.

There is a field entrance on the east side of the road about halfway between 190th and the farm, so possibly close to the truck location. The field entrance 400' north seems like it would be directly across from the farm, which would be odd to me. Not very stealth for any kind of a pickup.

Link to street view of the one on the east side of the road that I think, and MOO, may have been closer to his truck.

Can someone clear something up for me. When the friend nearly ran into David's truck that morning, did the friend report it to the police at the time? Also, was the truck facing north when the friend seen it? And was the truck found in the same position when LE eventually found it? I'm only asking because I keep seeing and hearing conflicting reports from LE and also David's wife.

I understand HRD K9’s (I certified 2 of them) vs trailing dogs, and their capabilities.

My point was that I wondered why? an HRD K9 has not been utilized. I still do.

I understand HRD K9’s (I certified 2 of them) vs trailing dogs, and their capabilities.

My point was that I wondered why? an HRD K9 has not been utilized. I still do.
HRD's (decomposition detecting) are more a function of search and rescue/recovery units and wouldn't respond to an initial call for a missing person. No one would presume they are looking for a deceased person when that call first came out.
Those dogs are excellent at detecting decomp on a surface or in a house or car. Searching outdoors is much different, and as you must know, wind and other factors will affect whether or not the dog picks up the odor. The example of a missing woman in Florida is a good example where dogs walked past her one day and found her the next day concealed in brush.
K9 officers use their dogs on patrol for both tracking criminals and as personal protection, especially when backup is far away. I don't know of any departments having HRD's out on patrol and readily available, except in the huge departments, which have multiple discipline dogs, explosives-trained, etc.
I have no idea if there have been more searches with other dogs.
Looking at your post that said:
"They used a trailing dog at the beginning. I wonder why no HRD K9. The ground/area isn't contaminated for the dog no matter how many people have been there, the dog is only looking for deceased scent."

Last edited:
<modsnip - quoted post and response removed for no link/rumor>

I keep going back and forth on whether he walked away from his life for some reason or something bad happened to him and the more I think about it all the more questions I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a number of questions that would be answered just by knowing what was *normal* for David.

If driving with windows down is normal for him, there's no reason to question it.

Turning north up N14/Union Avenue also could be something he'd done a number of times. And whilst we still wouldn't have an answer as to why he did it, knowing he'd done it before would perhaps make it less surprising.

There are things Sarah has said David would never do, but I'm not sure how she could know for sure. For example, if he occasionally sneaked in a couple of hours sleep when he was carrying a load, she'd have no way of knowing if he didn't tell her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody