IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is driving me crazy. I have exhausted every theory that we’ve talked about and when I lean toward option 1-foul play, something doesn’t seem right. I think I’d like to believe foul play instead of “mental crisis”-neither sounds like a good outcome, but we’ve been surprised before!

There was not any usable video from the DOT camera at Hwy 4 and Hwy 20, and there is no video of Schultz stopping at the truck stop at Hwy 4.

He is then seen on a DOT camera on Hwy 20 west of MM 126 truck stop heading west. This was the last time David Schultz was seen
So I interpret this to mean there is another camera somewhere on Hwy 20 that picked up David west of Marker 126?

So I interpret this to mean there is another camera somewhere on Hwy 20 that picked up David west of Marker 126?

Perhaps the one on north east side/corner of westbound lane @ 20 & 169 intersection

Okay, here is information I obtained from my Aunt & Uncle Fowler at Christmas, they are a big, family owned pork production operation and long time pig farmers in Southern Minnesota (48+ years). I asked many questions with notes below:
Uncle obtains piglets from Carthage, IL (link below). All deliveries to their farm are pre-SCHEDULED permitting Uncle to have staff on hand to unload the piglets (Uncle and 2 helpers: son/grandson). ALL truckers call UNCLE when an hour away, uncle now has his cell number. Very rarely does a trucker not arrive at the scheduled time; almost always on time or early. If Uncle and helpers present, they will unload earlier if not in the field.
Trucker ALWAYS backs into Uncle's barns to unload. Trucker NEVER helps unload. On occasion, a trucker may count the piglets to verify with his manifest, notating # delivered and if any are deceased it is notated on the shipping manifest. Uncle always counts the # of piglets twice. If any issues with the load, it is NEVER addressed with the trucker, communication would be with Carthage. (I wish I had asked how long it takes to unload...)
I asked, "If the trucker called and said he would be at their farm in one hour, and did NOT SHOW UP, then what would you do? Uncle would give him 30 additional minutes before calling the trucker on his cell phone, and if they would not make contact Uncle would call the company in charge of the delivery load, Carthage.
I asked if they would wait until the next morning to notify Carthage that trucker did NOT show up and could not be reached? Uncle said, "No way! I would NEVER wait longer than 30-60 minutes without notifying Carthage.
I asked them about chances of an altercation occurring with a driver and they said there would be no reason for that to happen whatsoever. They have NEVER had any issues with a truck driver in 48 years.
HTH
www.carthagesystem.com
My uncle Fowler & cousin Travis: https://fairmont.org/mchs/The Fowler Family of Truman.pdf

Okay, here is information I obtained from my Aunt & Uncle Fowler at Christmas, they are a big, family owned pork production operation and long time pig farmers in Southern Minnesota (48+ years). I asked many questions with notes below:
Uncle obtains piglets from Carthage, IL (link below). All deliveries to their farm are pre-SCHEDULED permitting Uncle to have staff on hand to unload the piglets (Uncle and 2 helpers: son/grandson). ALL truckers call UNCLE when an hour away, uncle now has his cell number. Very rarely does a trucker not arrive at the scheduled time; almost always on time or early. If Uncle and helpers present, they will unload earlier if not in the field.
Trucker ALWAYS backs into Uncle's barns to unload. Trucker NEVER helps unload. On occasion, a trucker may count the piglets to verify with his manifest, notating # delivered and if any are deceased it is notated on the shipping manifest. Uncle always counts the # of piglets twice. If any issues with the load, it is NEVER addressed with the trucker, communication would be with Carthage. (I wish I had asked how long it takes to unload...)
I asked, "If the trucker called and said he would be at their farm in one hour, and did NOT SHOW UP, then what would you do? Uncle would give him 30 additional minutes before calling the trucker on his cell phone, and if they would not make contact Uncle would call the company in charge of the delivery load, Carthage.
I asked if they would wait until the next morning to notify Carthage that trucker did NOT show up and could not be reached? Uncle said, "No way! I would NEVER wait longer than 30-60 minutes without notifying Carthage.
I asked them about chances of an altercation occurring with a driver and they said there would be no reason for that to happen whatsoever. They have NEVER had any issues with a truck driver in 48 years.
HTH
www.carthagesystem.com
My uncle Fowler & cousin Travis: https://fairmont.org/mchs/The Fowler Family of Truman.pdf
Great info! Thanks

HTH
www.carthagesystem.com
Thank your family for participating in the Inquisition!

I would love to hear more of your thoughts. Foul play was on top of my list. I really don't know anymore.

In many respects, my theory is just based on my preference for simpler explanations - Occam's Razor. Every foul play scenario that I try to think of in my mind is super convoluted and complicated, because of the high degree of uncertainty associated with the timing and tracking.

If it was someone at the pig offloading site, and Dave actually made it there, why would they not unload the pigs first, and then accost Dave? It is in their best interest to have the pigs safe first. They still could have staged the truck where it was without the pigs later, saying we don't know what happened to him after he left here.

If it was somebody who intercepted him, they either would've had to be following him from another facility, or put a tracker on his truck, to be able to find exactly where he was. He made a stop that would've been hard to account for, turned the opposite direction of where he should have, etc.

So far there has been absolutely no evidence of anyone else with Dave or him meeting with anyone, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I just haven't seen it.

If this IS a foul play scenario, though, I hope law-enforcement has thoroughly interviewed every single person that lives within walking distance of where his truck was. In other cases where the persons vehicle was found, abandoned in random places, the perpetrator usually lives within walking distance, if they used the victims car to transport the body it has been found in parking lots of apartment buildings, etc. Obviously, in this case, it is a rural area, but it's a possibility, a remote one in my mind, but still...

However, the simplest explanation to me is that Dave voluntarily left his truck, and for whatever reason, is deceased, and he just has not been found yet. I follow so many cases on Websleuths and there are so many times when the bodies are missed. They should bring cadaver dogs out there though as a follow up, IMO.

In many respects, my theory is just based on my preference for simpler explanations - Occam's Razor. Every foul play scenario that I try to think of in my mind is super convoluted and complicated, because of the high degree of uncertainty associated with the timing and tracking.

If it was someone at the pig offloading site, and Dave actually made it there, why would they not unload the pigs first, and then accost Dave? It is in their best interest to have the pigs safe first. They still could have staged the truck where it was without the pigs later, saying we don't know what happened to him after he left here.

If it was somebody who intercepted him, they either would've had to be following him from another facility, or put a tracker on his truck, to be able to find exactly where he was. He made a stop that would've been hard to account for, turned the opposite direction of where he should have, etc.

So far there has been absolutely no evidence of anyone else with Dave or him meeting with anyone, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I just haven't seen it.

If this IS a foul play scenario, though, I hope law-enforcement has thoroughly interviewed every single person that lives within walking distance of where his truck was. In other cases where the persons vehicle was found, abandoned in random places, the perpetrator usually lives within walking distance, if they used the victims car to transport the body it has been found in parking lots of apartment buildings, etc. Obviously, in this case, it is a rural area, but it's a possibility, a remote one in my mind, but still...

However, the simplest explanation to me is that Dave voluntarily left his truck, and for whatever reason, is deceased, and he just has not been found yet. I follow so many cases on Websleuths and there are so many times when the bodies are missed. They should bring cadaver dogs out there though as a follow up, IMO.
I agree with all that you've written. My mind flits back and forth depending on the hour of the day, but unfortunately it really does seem like it was not foul play, unless they just haven't been able to get his digital records back yet, which might tell a different story. But as you said, the foul play scenario is complex. Agreed about the dogs...

BBM Agree, 100 percent. I know the SO could get cadaver dogs in from a SAR Team or a K9 Team /certified resource. It doe not have to be local, a team will travel. Quite often at no expense to the County. I posted this before and I’m repeating it because it bothers me greatly. I feel its just not OK that LE has not done this. Great post Kittybunny.
JMO

HTH
www.carthagesystem.com
Thank you for the interesting information and interesting history.

Over a month has passed with no further information from LE. This is certainly a puzzling case - I'm back to 50/50 on voluntarily missing/foul play.
12/9 was when the press release from the SCSO was published. Less than 20 days ago.

According to Sarah's latest FB update she made today she was contacted by the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigations (DCI) with an update, so maybe some movement in the case will be coming soon.

In the foul play scenario, what's the motive?

This is the question I have (plus about a hundred more). A large-ish sum of cash was still in his wallet, IIRC? The piglets were all there. His phone as well. What would the motive be to harm DS? And to do so away from the truck? If someone had beef with him, why take him somewhere else to do it? And even if robbery wasn’t my main motive, once I’ve hurt someone, I might as well go through his wallet and make a little profit to boot, right?

So road rage is not likely. Extremely minimal traffic/time of night, etc. And DS would probably still be right in the truck or very nearby. Robbery seems less likely. Grudge or something personal? Again why would DS be taken from the scene? I can’t figure out a motive that wouldn’t be made simpler by just leaving DS with his truck. Almost no CCTV in the area. If you just wanted to kill him, heck, they could’ve left the body in the truck and had 14 hours to get away!
Where are you David? All MOO and badly worded brain storming.

Sorry for interjecting! Your post to Kittybunny got me thinking.
If foul play, what’s the motive? No blood (I don’t think, although may have read something on SM) found at site or in truck, nothing that we know of was taken (phone and wallet in truck. Seems to be a quiet guy, just wanting to do his job and go home. Confrontation at pick up (or delivery) site? Doesn’t seem like a confrontation at a pig farm would result in a disappearance, imo.
As I said earlier, and i don’t mean this in a negative way, I’m hoping he didn’t walk away/end his life which leaves foul play-and it is easier to digest foul play (for me) than walking away/suicide; which I do not think he committed suicide. If so, I would think he’d have been found by now-wouldn’t be far from the truck, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
verydemureverycute