IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on DS schedule over that past few weeks is he pretty much works a massive schedule, is gone for hours at a time, its not a regular schedule and this is totally normal for his line of work. His wife takes care of the household and is used to him being gone a lot with no problems in the past. I actually can see how she would not really know he had an issue until he had been gone a very long while.

What is still DON"T understand is how the folks he worked for/with didn't take action immediately when he didn't show up to drop off a load of piggies locked in a truck that I still feel sorry for! I see no reasonable excuse for that. It should have, would have been known he was missing hours before he was actually finally looked for. JMO

1) The friend driving past DS truck several times is a red flag for me. Who else would you pull over to the side of the road for ? Someone you trusted. Best friend or LE. The friend is the logical poi. Friends steal from you, they sleep with your spouse, they betray each other all the time.

2)LE pulled him over and DS was accidentally killed while in custody.
Or
3) DS was killed at his work location. Maybe he pissed off the wrong person. Then they loaded his body up on another truck and drove off with him.

Nowadays, people kill you, just because they can. They don’t need a reason. But I’m leaning towards #1.

December 12, 2023 news story, good info (exception "Investigators obtained video footage of David Schultz at 11:15 p.m. Nov. 21 at the Mile Marker 129 truck stop east of Fort Dodge on U.S. Highway 20." - incorrect date on).
Why would DCI contact David's wife?
"The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation has assisted with a forensic search of David Schultz’s phone."
"DCI continues to assist in the examination of other digital evidence that has been obtained or requested through a subpoena or search warrant."

I think it's the delay being mentioned was from the time boss knocked on the door in the morning saying David didn't unload and he doesn't know where David is and the time Sarah actually called LE which was about 8-9 hours later when I believe the boss man told Sarah to call LE and tell them it may be a medical issue to get attention and get the ball rolling on LE looking for him.

It might not have be unusual for Sarah not to hear from David when David was gone, but it was unusual for someone to come knockings on the door looking for David given the circumstances. You would think that would be unusual enough to get someone to do more than what seemed to have been done in the amount of time.

JMO
The Lake View Police Department requests the public’s help locating a missing Sac County man. According to law enforcement, family and friends report last hearing from 53-year-old David Schultz of Wall Lake during the early morning hours of Tuesday, Nov. 21. Schultz, who is a trucker, was en route from Eagle Grove to Sac City to deliver hogs, but did not complete the delivery or pick up his next load. The semi-tractor trailer he was driving was located yesterday (Tuesday) on U.S. Highway 71 near Sac City, but there was no sign of Schultz.
^^bbm

I missed the link citing Sarah waited 8-9 hours to report her husband a 'missing person' to Lake View PD. Thanks in advance for the link. Quoted link is the first post I read on Thread page 1 -- thread started with this post.

Seems to me they knew where David's rig was but were not really sure where he was. Per the quoted post, others heard from David on Tuesday, just not his wife. She last talked to him on Monday evening around 7:30 pm.

This confirms my thoughts earlier re. the reward is by crime stoppers which reorganized last week and began fund raising for its reward fund.

12/26/23

On Tuesday, the Sac County Sheriff’s Office announced on its Facebook page that a $2,000 reward has been offered for information on his disappearance or whereabouts. According to the post, the Sac County Crime Stoppers was re-organized last week and has begun fundraising for its reward fund. Donations to the Sac County Crime Stoppers reward fund can be made at the Iowa State Bank locations in Sac City, Odebolt and Lake View.

Anyone with information can contact the Sac County Sheriff’s Office at (712) 662-7127 or the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation at (712) 262-1873.

Sure, but a truck full of pigs was left abandoned in the middle of a road David shouldn't have been on, with his jacket, gloves and boot discarded in a ditch nearby.
Was it ever confirmed this was a muck boot found in the ditch with his jacket? I recall his wife describing him wearing his wrangler jeans and cowboy boots when he left home. If a muck boot, then I don't think he's barefoot. JMO

Was it ever confirmed this was a muck boot found in the ditch with his jacket? I recall his wife describing him wearing his wrangler jeans and cowboy boots when he left home. If a muck boot, then I don't think he's barefoot. JMO

I don't think there was ever any suggestion Dave was barefoot. All discussions were about a muck boot and that's what I was referring to.

But now it's not even clear a muck boot was found, because LE didn't mention it in their press release, nor has it been mentioned in any articles. A phone charger and a pocketknife were found with the jacket. I believe the info about a muck boot originally came from someone on FB who lives near where the truck was found, though I'm not 100% sure.

So from the Sioux City Journal article as well:
"When asked whether David stopped anywhere before arriving in Eagle Grove and why he was late, McClure responded, "No. I can't definitively say either way."
Sarah said her husband parks the truck and trailer at his friend's mechanic shop in Wall Lake. So, after leaving home, she said he stopped there and probably spent some time talking to his friend, who was fixing up a yellow semi David had just bought."
So the sheriff doesn't have a definite idea of where David was after leaving home but before picking up the pigs in Eagle Grove, but Sarah does?

IMO, this has to be the most arrogant Sheriff Interview I've ever listened to. Keyboard detectives, Perry Mason, seriously?...

Sarah says David grew up in Sac City and knows the area really well. Also knew how to disappear?

I try to fit the pieces together and keep coming back to this being his choice.
<rsbm>
David did grow up in Sac City -- meaning he knows the area and would not be lost where he had to turn around the opposite direction. His parents also live in Sac and he would not leave them, his wife, or his young children. No, I disagree. This is not the type of dude that would run-away. Lifetime friends. He couldn't hide. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Drones, ATV's, reportedly some on horseback, and aircraft with infrared. They did what they could with limited funds and personnel,

I'm not criticizing the search but calling it "thorough" is a stretch. MOO
I just want to address the idea that a body is lying out in plain sight and would be easily found.

I realize not everyone is going to read this entire thread and see that a number of people have already explained the difficulty of finding a body, some will continue to comment that he should or would have been found if he was somewhere in those hundreds of acres.
Agree. The missing Iowan (Mike Riesberg) who disappeared a month prior to David wasn't even on the ground but inside his vehicle, a PT Cruiser, when discovered by United Cajun Navy searchers who were looking for David. Riesberg's vehicle was parked outside a barn in a wooded area. I've lost all confidence in the Sac County Sheriff in both of the missing person cases. His nose is too far up in the air to locate anybody not within an ivory tower. MOO

Agree, I'd sure like to hear more about his reasons - since there is no video evidence Dave made it there.
^^rsbm

IMO, not only Les Brown but everybody in the industry who hauls livestock that knows Dave believes this because it's his ethic, his personality, and the man's nature.

12/21/23

[..]

Investigators confirmed that Dave loaded the pigs and left the hog barn in Eagle Grove around 10:40 p.m. on Nov. 20. But after reviewing nearby businesses’ surveillance footage, they said he never arrived at the buying station.

However, Brown said he’s convinced that Dave arrived at the pig-buying station and that “something happened” to him when he got out of his truck to unload the pigs. He claims that someone else drove Dave’s custom-painted Peterbilt out of the station but that Dave wasn’t behind the wheel. He understands there’s no video evidence to back up his claim.

“There’s one thing about Dave is that if he had pigs on that had to go somewhere, they got there,” Brown said. “If he had truck trouble, he made it work to get the pigs where they needed to be. All of our company drivers, everybody in the industry who hauls livestock that knows Dave are pretty confident that he made it down to the place he was supposed to go and that things, whatever happened to Dave, went on there.”

Brown said Dave was familiar with the buying station in Sac City and had hauled the same load for him the night before.

“The same route, the same deal, the same place, everything was the same as the night before,” Brown told FreightWaves.

Sarah and Brown agree that Dave wouldn’t have left his rig in the middle of the road without turning his flashers on or finding a safer spot to pull over. In his latest update about Dave’s disappearance, McClure stated that Dave’s truck was shut off.

[..]

^^rsbm

IMO, not only Les Brown but everybody in the industry who hauls livestock that knows Dave believes this because it's his ethic, his personality, and the man's nature.

12/21/23

[..]

Investigators confirmed that Dave loaded the pigs and left the hog barn in Eagle Grove around 10:40 p.m. on Nov. 20. But after reviewing nearby businesses’ surveillance footage, they said he never arrived at the buying station.

However, Brown said he’s convinced that Dave arrived at the pig-buying station and that “something happened” to him when he got out of his truck to unload the pigs. He claims that someone else drove Dave’s custom-painted Peterbilt out of the station but that Dave wasn’t behind the wheel. He understands there’s no video evidence to back up his claim.

“There’s one thing about Dave is that if he had pigs on that had to go somewhere, they got there,” Brown said. “If he had truck trouble, he made it work to get the pigs where they needed to be. All of our company drivers, everybody in the industry who hauls livestock that knows Dave are pretty confident that he made it down to the place he was supposed to go and that things, whatever happened to Dave, went on there.”

Brown said Dave was familiar with the buying station in Sac City and had hauled the same load for him the night before.

“The same route, the same deal, the same place, everything was the same as the night before,” Brown told FreightWaves.

Sarah and Brown agree that Dave wouldn’t have left his rig in the middle of the road without turning his flashers on or finding a safer spot to pull over. In his latest update about Dave’s disappearance, McClure stated that Dave’s truck was shut off.

[..]
That statement could simply have been made in effort to assure the clients that their drivers are reliable and squash any doubts they may have. Just my opinion

The dogs tracked to his coat and then a field drive way very near.
I believe the coat was found by a deputy before the K9's arrived to search. Sarah and Dave's mechanic arrived just before the dog team and she identified the coat as belonging to Dave. The Sheriff talks about this in his interview with Sioux City Journal.

IMO, this has to be the most arrogant Sheriff Interview I've ever listened to. Keyboard detectives, Perry Mason, seriously?...

The sheriff needs to be voted out at the election! The ladies of Sac County are going to solve this. SS Facebook is on fire. Starting to remind me of the song "Don't Try This in a Small Town".

My take on DS schedule over that past few weeks is he pretty much works a massive schedule, is gone for hours at a time, its not a regular schedule and this is totally normal for his line of work. His wife takes care of the household and is used to him being gone a lot with no problems in the past. I actually can see how she would not really know he had an issue until he had been gone a very long while.

What is still DON"T understand is how the folks he worked for/with didn't take action immediately when he didn't show up to drop off a load of piggies locked in a truck that I still feel sorry for! I see no reasonable excuse for that. It should have, would have been known he was missing hours before he was actually finally looked for. JMO

This article from Dec 21 addressed your last paragraph above. It sounds as if it's a small facility and no one was there waiting for him, so it went unnoticed until the next morning -

"Kevin Sievers, assistant manager of Wiechman Pig Co., works out of the Sioux City, Iowa, facility but also oversees the Sac City site where Dave was scheduled to unload.

“We had a guy come in the next morning to work up the hogs, and he noticed that there weren’t as many hogs as there were supposed to be in the pens,” Sievers told FreightWaves. “We contacted where the hogs came from and if something had gotten changed with their scheduling or something. They reached out to the trucking firm and the site where the hogs were loaded and said the hogs had been loaded but not delivered.”
Sievers said the site where Dave was to unload the pigs is a smaller facility and had a couple of semi-loads arrive earlier that night.

“We don’t buy a lot of hogs there,” Sievers said. “ It doesn’t have hogs in it all the time — we just use it as necessary. A lot of drivers will drop off their pigs and they’ll drop off their load paperwork in a box and put them in the pens and leave.

Sievers said Dave was supposed to be the last truck to unload that night.

The sheriff needs to be voted out at the election! The ladies of Sac County are going to solve this. SS Facebook is on fire. Starting to remind me of the song "Don't Try This in a Small Town".
Wow! He is arrogant and also fails to properly investigate crimes. He said he didn't dust for fingerprints as if was the most ridiculous thing to do as part of a crime investigation! If it is up to him to find DS, it won't happen.

Did anyone on WS ever map the location of the truck, field road, and where the jacket was found? Did the jacket look laid out or thrown out?

^^bbm

How do you figure?

Dave's tractor and trailer with the piglets was left abandoned on County Rd N-14, a road flanked by corn fields on each side and a single house.

Les Brown, Dave's Livestock Broker in Denison, IA, learned for the first time on Tuesday around 7:30 AM that Dave did not make his drop off on Monday night.

Brown -- obviously worried begins calling Dave and other drivers trying to reach his reliable trucker DS, and when his efforts are unsuccessful, he heads to Wall Lake where he arrives at Dave's Wall Lake, IA front door around 10 AM. Now, Sarah Schultz learns for the first time that Dave did not arrive Sac City with his 120 piglets.

Dave's truck was not located by police until sometime after 3 pm, and poor Dave, a father and husband, still has not been located!

Once Dave's rig was located, Brown was able to send another truck to collect the piglets and get them to Wiechman's Pig Co. buying station in Sac City.

I've been to rural Iowa and I wouldn't exactly describe this route by Dave anywhere close to Uber or Amazon delivery driver friendly. Personally, I have the utmost respect for Les Brown and my heart aches for him too after his driver and friend has been missing without a trace for nearly 40 days. :( JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAC6968