IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

Nobody could possibly know it wasn't a medical event. We still don't know it definitely wasn't a medical event!

LE treated it as a medical issue because that was the information they'd been given. They weren't looking for third parties, fingerprints, DNA... they were looking for David.

There's nothing i've personally heard about the scene that would be immediately suspicious if I had been told there was a possible/likely medical issue.
Exactly! And in my opinion, LE using DS phone to call SS was “fine” for the circumstances as they were looking for a man in distress rather than missing. I get why she called it in the way she did, but it was a chance she took. id guess they probably called from his phone to see if she had found him herself yet.
id love to know if she was his last call or maybe it was just because of all the missed calls from her…..
I also feel that DS minimal “run ins with the law” so long ago weren’t really enough for LE to hold a grudge this bad. but….maybe.

Similar arrangements in the old days...I have loaded in Waukesha, WI, run to a sale barn north of Huntsville, AL, backed to a chute, untied the baling wire "lock" on the gate. Picked an empty pen with water, unloaded a load of big Holstein cows, busted 2 bales of hay into the rack, got back in tractor and went to sleep.
Woke up, loaded them back on, left $2.00 in the tobacco sack nailed to the gate post of the hay pen for the hay, Wired pen gate shut and chute gate shut (security). Moved out front of the barn and did a walk around. Left for Miami...
This was in 1956. Stopped there several time. To this day, I have never met or known anyone there. It was a known way station for "bull haulers". Word of mouth and understood by all.
Wait... you were trucking in 1956?! Or am I just dumb?

I probably haven't been explaining myself very well, but this has pretty much been my point.

LE have been criticised by a lot of people, including Sarah, for not doing enough. They've been criticised for not sealing the scene, for letting people climb in and out of the truck, for letting the mechanic drive it away, for not examining it until days after David disappeared. Etc. and so forth.

They were given particular information to elicit a particular response, but now they're being criticised from all sides because they responded accordingly. They thought it was a medical emergency.
I agree. I am not saying LE has done everything right in this case, but I believe they responded appropriately to what they were told was a medical emergency. When LE responds to a scene, they do not assume the 911 caller is lying to them; they have to go by the initial report. In the report of a medical emergency, accident, or injury, their first and foremost responsibility is preservation of life.
There was similar criticism in the Suzanne Morphew case. LE was told she had gone for a bike ride and never returned. Responding officers searched the area and found her bike on its side at the bottom of a steep hill. Thinking she had gone off the road, they spread out searching the area believing she was lying injured nearby. When she was not found close to her bike, LE was severely criticized for trampling the “crime scene”.
Let’s look at it from the opposite perspective. What if SM was lying nearby critically injured from a fall down down a steep hill on her bike, but LE sealed off the area and waited for a forensics team to arrive just in case it was foul play that caused her bike to be down the hill on Mother’s Day in rural CO? What if she died lying there waiting for help?
Unfortunately, sometimes in cases such as these, some forensic evidence may be lost early on. If it was my loved one that was missing unexplainably, I would want them found and helped and worry about a prosecution later.
Again, the top priority in any case is preservation of life.

I agree. I am not saying LE has done everything right in this case, but I believe they responded appropriately to what they were told was a medical emergency. When LE responds to a scene, they do not assume the 911 caller is lying to them; they have to go by the initial report. In the report of a medical emergency, accident, or injury, their first and foremost responsibility is preservation of life.
There was similar criticism in the Suzanne Morphew case. LE was told she had gone for a bike ride and never returned. Responding officers searched the area and found her bike on its side at the bottom of a steep hill. Thinking she had gone off the road, they spread out searching the area believing she was lying injured nearby. When she was not found close to her bike, LE was severely criticized for trampling the “crime scene”.
Let’s look at it from the opposite perspective. What if SM was lying nearby critically injured from a fall down down a steep hill on her bike, but LE sealed off the area and waited for a forensics team to arrive just in case it was foul play that caused her bike to be down the hill on Mother’s Day in rural CO? What if she died lying there waiting for help?
Unfortunately, sometimes in cases such as these, some forensic evidence may be lost early on. If it was my loved one that was missing unexplainably, I would want them found and helped and worry about a prosecution later.
Again, the top priority in any case is preservation of life.

It reminds me of the infamous Jill Dando case here in the UK. She was shot at her front door. The front garden is very small, and at the time was enclosed on all sides with walls and hedges. There was no way for paramedics to reach her without completely trampling the path and garden. LE has understandably voiced their disappointment that a lot of evidence may have been destroyed, but all of the professionals involved understand it couldn't be avoided.

If saving a life is the primary goal, everything else is secondary.

I am localish to the area, have family even closer to the area and in the farming industry. My husband used to manage hogs there before we met so hoping I can provide insight. However, I am new to WS - so please bear with me as I have been reading this thread for some time.

I do not think he left. I think he was stopped getting off 71, something happened at the exit. Whoever it was had to know how to drive the truck and being a afarming and blue collar community (plus surrounding areas), many people would know how to drive these - at least to the extent of being able to take a right and go straight. This would also explain the time it took - per the phone data we have been given - from the time he left the gas station to when the truck arrives at the location it was found.

I don't think it was medical - he would had been found in my opinion. Plus the random items left laying around wouldn't make sense. I also think he would had pulled in a driveway and not stopped or at minimum, put hazards on. I can also see how it wasn't called in right away. Very little travel on this road and wouldn't seem totally out of the place but know it sounds odd.

In terms of LE, regardless if they are working on something they are keeping from the public or just not investigating at all, it would benefit them to have a designated person check in with the family once per day. Even if the update is there isn't an update, I couldn't imagine not having any communication. Communication and empathy go a long way.

In terms of gangs and drugs - both are everywhere but the latter is definitely a problem in this state. Not only that, but many hog deliveries are scheduled at late nights/early mornings, creating a scenario where certain drugs help with staying awake. These drugs are also produced in abandoned buildings and farms so is fairly accessible for those who want to see them.

DS rushing around and her not thinking much of it sounds like a typical ag/trucker/farmer life around here. He was maybe going to be late knowing he would chat with his mechanic inevitably before getting his load, or just wanted to try to make it back on time. I am constantly rushing around and while I don't end up being late, if I don't move my butt quick enough, I would be! Some people, like myself, seem a bit time deficit unfortunately.

I don't think he unloaded and was maybe wasting time at the gas station so he didn't show up before his "scheduled time" or to cut in front of someone else. Could be a time vs drive restriction or maybe he was tired and needed some fresh air. Nothing there seemed out of the ordinary but there are no accounts of him heading there.

While it's rural Iowa, again, farming and drugs can create quite a life for some. There are those who also think they are untouchable or will make things happen that no one would expect from our normal "Iowa Nice" reputation. There is corruption just like anywhere else. There has been a big campaign about trafficking people due to having the major intersection of Interstate 35 and 80, but this is way north.

Hope this cleared up a few things and helped with some understanding of the "area".

I am localish to the area, have family even closer to the area and in the farming industry. My husband used to manage hogs there before we met so hoping I can provide insight. However, I am new to WS - so please bear with me as I have been reading this thread for some time.

I do not think he left. I think he was stopped getting off 71, something happened at the exit. Whoever it was had to know how to drive the truck and being a afarming and blue collar community (plus surrounding areas), many people would know how to drive these - at least to the extent of being able to take a right and go straight. This would also explain the time it took - per the phone data we have been given - from the time he left the gas station to when the truck arrives at the location it was found.

I don't think it was medical - he would had been found in my opinion. Plus the random items left laying around wouldn't make sense. I also think he would had pulled in a driveway and not stopped or at minimum, put hazards on. I can also see how it wasn't called in right away. Very little travel on this road and wouldn't seem totally out of the place but know it sounds odd.

In terms of LE, regardless if they are working on something they are keeping from the public or just not investigating at all, it would benefit them to have a designated person check in with the family once per day. Even if the update is there isn't an update, I couldn't imagine not having any communication. Communication and empathy go a long way.

In terms of gangs and drugs - both are everywhere but the latter is definitely a problem in this state. Not only that, but many hog deliveries are scheduled at late nights/early mornings, creating a scenario where certain drugs help with staying awake. These drugs are also produced in abandoned buildings and farms so is fairly accessible for those who want to see them.

DS rushing around and her not thinking much of it sounds like a typical ag/trucker/farmer life around here. He was maybe going to be late knowing he would chat with his mechanic inevitably before getting his load, or just wanted to try to make it back on time. I am constantly rushing around and while I don't end up being late, if I don't move my butt quick enough, I would be! Some people, like myself, seem a bit time deficit unfortunately.

I don't think he unloaded and was maybe wasting time at the gas station so he didn't show up before his "scheduled time" or to cut in front of someone else. Could be a time vs drive restriction or maybe he was tired and needed some fresh air. Nothing there seemed out of the ordinary but there are no accounts of him heading there.

While it's rural Iowa, again, farming and drugs can create quite a life for some. There are those who also think they are untouchable or will make things happen that no one would expect from our normal "Iowa Nice" reputation. There is corruption just like anywhere else. There has been a big campaign about trafficking people due to having the major intersection of Interstate 35 and 80, but this is way north.

Hope this cleared up a few things and helped with some understanding of the "area".
Welcome to WS, and thanks so much for sharing your local perspective.

Do you feel he was randomly targeted? Because for me, that intersection seems to be well-lit. Whether targeted randomly or personally it still seems odd to me that someone would have made something happen there and not a block north out of the street lights, but you’d have to do something to get him to turn into the darker area first.

You mentioned trafficking north of that area. Do you feel truckers are kidnapped and forced to drive in other areas or Mexico?

I’ve always felt a random attack seems so risky for a perpetrator. He could have had one or two passengers, all armed, who could then injure or kill a perpetrator, so it seems to me if he was targeted it would have to be personal, someone who knew he would be alone.

Just a thought here : I'd think it more likely if DS was targeted, that they'd wait and try for him when he wasn't delivering the hogs ?
Since the delivery would've been expected, whereas if he was going to the store or wherever , pulling him over (if that's what happened) would be easier and no other farm or person waiting at the other end ?
Omo.

Just a thought here : I'd think it more likely if DS was targeted, that they'd wait and try for him when he wasn't delivering the hogs ?
Since the delivery would've been expected, whereas if he was going to the store or wherever , pulling him over (if that's what happened) would be easier and no other farm or person waiting at the other end ?
Omo.
That’s a good point. Although someone really close to him like someone who knew where he loaded and how, would know he’d be alone at the dropoff point. So that takes it back to something or someone in Eagle Grove if that is what happened.

Thanks for your insight !

And, Welcome to Websleuths !

Thank you and welcome to WS!

Sorry, when I said way up north - this area is north but is about 2 hours or so from Des Moines from this area. Des Moines having that major interstate intersection. I don't know - I have heard of truckers being trafficked but not sure this is it.

I thought about the lights but it's pretty desolate. It didn't take too long for something to happen and a pulled over truck driver would t seem super unusual. Him wanting to turn north makes zero sense.

I don't think it's random. I feel that would be too random. I don't think he was into into anything incredibly nafarious either but maybe he did something once and someone wanted him to do it again? Or maybe he was doing something he should not have. I don't know him and don't think his wife knows anything at all nor is she part of it.

I have a family similar to him and just don't see him walking away either. I know people say that but feel the coat and such, being found across the side of the road in the ditch, were there to throw something off. Just doesn't make sense.

I pretty much give up trying to figure this one out.

Neither a random or targeted attack at the 71/20 exit makes sense to me based on where the truck ended up. What purpose would anyone have to hijack DS at that intersection and then drive north for 4 miles in 20 minutes?

DS walking away doesn't make sense, either, based on where the truck is, unless it was a meetup point or he'd left another vehicle, but then why leave the pigs and toss his coat in the ditch? Did he really think, "ooooh, I'll leave my coat here to throw off authorities!"

Self-harm? Maybe, but what became so bad between MM126 and the 71/20 intersection that he decided to do it right then and there?

IMO, the entire thing looks disorganized and the doings of DS himself. I don't think he was hauling drugs, knowingly or unknowingly, but I do suspect drugs could be involved, leading to the disorganized behavior. If that's the case, it would likely just be a matter of finding him wherever he ended up after wandering too long in the cold. JMO.

Wow this is a great group. You are all really on your game and I am excited to try and help in any way find this missing man. I am also new to WS as well and also live somewhat close to the area.. just a couple hours north from where his truck was found. I completely agree with the statement about drugs being a problem in the area. Fentanyl and meth have taken many of our small towns by storm. To me it just feels like the most plausible missing piece to the puzzle. Could he have picked up a little side hustle and was meeting someone at that spot for a drug drop off/or pick up? It was mentioned that he starts each week off with a few thousand in cash and it’s gone by the end of the week.. wouldnt he mostly use a debit card to track his expenses unless for some reason the store was closed (due to the time of the day)? My friend also works for a reputable sow farm and her boyfriend is a LDH. He said it would be very easy to have a side job moving drugs. Could it be a drug deal gone wrong? Minnesota and Iowa nice is definitely a thing but they are drowning in a drug problem.
Another problem I have though is in regards to the snow. Even though they say there was snow on the ground… how much snow was actually there? Where I am.. only a couple hours north of his truck location. We have had extremely minimal snow fall and it’s been unseasonably warm. Our lakes, rivers, and streams are still not frozen.. which is not normal for the area. An example, it rained over Christmas a couple weeks ago for us and our yard filled up with earth worms. This is significant because it says we have no ground frost.. and if my ground is not frozen than I have a hard time believing the ground is even remotely frozen where his truck was located at that time. This would mean that any snow on the ground would have very quickly melted away (maybe only been there a day or two) before it was melted off. If the area had been researched than he shouldn’t have been hidden by snow.
This is a head scratcher for sure.

I pretty much give up trying to figure this one out.

Neither a random or targeted attack at the 71/20 exit makes sense to me based on where the truck ended up. What purpose would anyone have to hijack DS at that intersection and then drive north for 4 miles in 20 minutes?

DS walking away doesn't make sense, either, based on where the truck is, unless it was a meetup point or he'd left another vehicle, but then why leave the pigs and toss his coat in the ditch? Did he really think, "ooooh, I'll leave my coat here to throw off authorities!"

Self-harm? Maybe, but what became so bad between MM126 and the 71/20 intersection that he decided to do it right then and there?

IMO, the entire thing looks disorganized and the doings of DS himself. I don't think he was hauling drugs, knowingly or unknowingly, but I do suspect drugs could be involved, leading to the disorganized behavior. If that's the case, it would likely just be a matter of finding him wherever he ended up after wandering too long in the cold. JMO.
bbm
I wonder, if the traffic stop indeed has a connection to DS' disappearing, although the Sheriff said otherwise. Imagine, he had possibly consumed something to stay awake and heard via radio about a traffic stop in the middle of the night. Though if he wandered away from his truck for the reason, not to be caught behind the wheel, then he actually would have returned sometime later. He HAD to return because of the 100 uncared for piglets and his contract.

Wow this is a great group. You are all really on your game and I am excited to try and help in any way find this missing man. I am also new to WS as well and also live somewhat close to the area.. just a couple hours north from where his truck was found. I completely agree with the statement about drugs being a problem in the area. Fentanyl and meth have taken many of our small towns by storm. To me it just feels like the most plausible missing piece to the puzzle. Could he have picked up a little side hustle and was meeting someone at that spot for a drug drop off/or pick up? It was mentioned that he starts each week off with a few thousand in cash and it’s gone by the end of the week.. wouldnt he mostly use a debit card to track his expenses unless for some reason the store was closed (due to the time of the day)? My friend also works for a reputable sow farm and her boyfriend is a LDH. He said it would be very easy to have a side job moving drugs. Could it be a drug deal gone wrong? Minnesota and Iowa nice is definitely a thing but they are drowning in a drug problem.
Another problem I have though is in regards to the snow. Even though they say there was snow on the ground… how much snow was actually there? Where I am.. only a couple hours north of his truck location. We have had extremely minimal snow fall and it’s been unseasonably warm. Our lakes, rivers, and streams are still not frozen.. which is not normal for the area. An example, it rained over Christmas a couple weeks ago for us and our yard filled up with earth worms. This is significant because it says we have no ground frost.. and if my ground is not frozen than I have a hard time believing the ground is even remotely frozen where his truck was located at that time. This would mean that any snow on the ground would have very quickly melted away (maybe only been there a day or two) before it was melted off. If the area had been researched than he shouldn’t have been hidden by snow.
This is a head scratcher for sure.

Am I okay to post the sac county Iowa snow accumulations from the national weather service? Hopefully my link works. It shows temps were warmer and the only snow fall was 1.0 inch on 11/26. It then continued to warm back up to 51 degrees by nov 30th. The snow would have been long gone by nov 30th

I'd have to agree - I don't think many of the scenarios make sense at all. Wanted to touch on a few things from the last couple of replies.

There really was not a ton of snow when it happened - I imagine similar to what the poster above put. No dangerous temperatures (unless of course out there for long periods of time or uncovered, etc) but not some of the insane temp drops we can get.

I imagine that exit could be pretty desolate that time of night and wouldn't be strange to see a semi sitting off the exit. I believe the unaccounted time from where he was vs. left vs. arrived would be about 9 to 11 minutes. Look at the time it took in the Idaho case and more recently, what they are saying for the San Antonio.
The cash isn't abnormal I would say either - in this type of scenario. Many people do the "cash only" budget and while it hasn't been mentioned, Sarah would say he would start with that for the week usually so was fairly typical. I'm sure they can see if these types of withdraws or dealings are normal from him from past bank records.

<modsnip: Websleuths does not allow discussion of rumors>

I am sure someone could had been following or maybe saw a moment of opportunity. I don't know that his schedule would have much to do with it. Again, while some miles apart, people in neighboring counties know each other in these rural communities. And driving the truck would simply be to get it off the exit enough to buy a little time - as was scattering the coat. Not really a bunch of options to turn around on that road unless you are using someone's drive. Or maybe he saw someone, panicked, and started driving the wrong direction.

I am worried by the sheriff's remarks that it wasn't investigated properly at the beginning. Many people say we have no idea what they are and are not doing behind the scenes and I can completely understand that too. However, to the wife, it appears as if they don't care or really don't consider this to be much more than someone walking away. I fully support LE and hope they are investigating but the thought they are not doing certain things for a benefit of their own is worrisome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to agree - I don't think many of the scenarios make sense at all. Wanted to touch on a few things from the last couple of replies.

There really was not a ton of snow when it happened - I imagine similar to what the poster above put. No dangerous temperatures (unless of course out there for long periods of time or uncovered, etc) but not some of the insane temp drops we can get.

I imagine that exit could be pretty desolate that time of night and wouldn't be strange to see a semi sitting off the exit. I believe the unaccounted time from where he was vs. left vs. arrived would be about 9 to 11 minutes. Look at the time it took in the Idaho case and more recently, what they are saying for the San Antonio.
The cash isn't abnormal I would say either - in this type of scenario. Many people do the "cash only" budget and while it hasn't been mentioned, Sarah would say he would start with that for the week usually so was fairly typical. I'm sure they can see if these types of withdraws or dealings are normal from him from past bank records.

<modsnip: Websleuths does not allow discussion of rumors>

I am sure someone could had been following or maybe saw a moment of opportunity. I don't know that his schedule would have much to do with it. Again, while some miles apart, people in neighboring counties know each other in these rural communities. And driving the truck would simply be to get it off the exit enough to buy a little time - as was scattering the coat. Not really a bunch of options to turn around on that road unless you are using someone's drive. Or maybe he saw someone, panicked, and started driving the wrong direction.

I am worried by the sheriff's remarks that it wasn't investigated properly at the beginning. Many people say we have no idea what they are and are not doing behind the scenes and I can completely understand that too. However, to the wife, it appears as if they don't care or really don't consider this to be much more than someone walking away. I fully support LE and hope they are investigating but the thought they are not doing certain things for a benefit of their own is worrisome.
Agreed. Very troublesome for sure.

Another thought.. this is a farming community. The isolated road where his truck was located would have most likely been surrounded by farm land such as corn or bean fields for example. Does anyone know if those fields were picked/harvested? Farmers around where I live sometimes will leave a field of crop sit over the winter for various reasons. Were the fields in fact picked or were any left standing? An unpicked corn field is almost impossible to search unless you go every couple rows. Are there woods near by or a stream? What about rock quarries?.. are there any near by? I need to do a more extensive google map search of the area where the truck was found so I have more of a mental picture of the surrounding area at that time.

Oh also!! Of note, Minnesota set a record for wettest December in state history since 1968 with an average rainfall of 2.30 inches. Our water levels were very high for a period of time and we did not receive any snow over that time.. only rain. Could his body have been dumped in a water way and then taken by the current miles south? I’ve see cases where a body was dumped into the Mississippi River and wasn’t found for miles until it got hung up on debris

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members