IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of a out loud thinking of being seen in Iowa. In 1956/57 I was running veal calves from MS in to Rath at Waterloo. Later same year produce/fruit from FL to the Cities. Entered IA at Keokuk and run US 218 all the way up. It's zig/zag routing followed the old land lines so there was some learning curve in driving it, especially in winters snow/ice.
If questioned; and without becoming more familiar over the tears with interstates etc, I would have laughed at being unseen in Iowa.
Reason I would give would be: How, you look ahead and see 3 hog haulers coming and peek in mirrors and see at least 3 RUAN tankers chasing you. Trucks were as thick as hair on a dogs back all night. And they ran. No piddling along, you got after it or got passed. And not a fun experience on the narrow concrete 2 lane with the slanted curbing.
Funny, I did not know until a few year ago that RUAN pulled anything but tankers.
So traffic is thinner or more spread out for no one to be aware of his travel over the route. Or they are not talking...

Sort of a out loud thinking of being seen in Iowa. In 1956/57 I was running veal calves from MS in to Rath at Waterloo. Later same year produce/fruit from FL to the Cities. Entered IA at Keokuk and run US 218 all the way up. It's zig/zag routing followed the old land lines so there was some learning curve in driving it, especially in winters snow/ice.
If questioned; and without becoming more familiar over the tears with interstates etc, I would have laughed at being unseen in Iowa.
Reason I would give would be: How, you look ahead and see 3 hog haulers coming and peek in mirrors and see at least 3 RUAN tankers chasing you. Trucks were as thick as hair on a dogs back all night. And they ran. No piddling along, you got after it or got passed. And not a fun experience on the narrow concrete 2 lane with the slanted curbing.
Funny, I did not know until a few year ago that RUAN pulled anything but tankers.
So traffic is thinner or more spread out for no one to be aware of his travel over the route. Or they are not talking...
Thanks OldAce! I was curious as to what the traffic would be like while DS was hauling. I can't imagine no one saw him in that rig, hauling the pigs. Surely other truckers would have come forward had they seen DS or the truck?

From the beginning, I've read similar accounts from MSM viewers citing they went to school with DS and know him to be a solid, family man that wouldn't ever walk away from his young sons voluntarily.

But also from the beginning the question has been asked, where is David's family?? Why aren't they speaking out? We only hear from Sarah?....but there, there is his cousin all the way in CA, a relative.

I keep thinking that whatever happened got underway at the point where he slowed down so much it took him 20 minutes to cover four miles. (either driving around 12mph or stopping for a bit during that stretch)

Whether that was someone he allowed in the cab, or someone who jumped up on the running board, who then perhaps forced him to keep driving until they met up with an escape vehicle, or whether he was distracted by something (text/call to/from burner phone perhaps) which caused him to drive so slowly while thinking or responding.

MOO
Maybe he was distracted by some one tailing him maybe from MM126...so he started to gradually slowing down, trying to see if they would go around him, hoping they would pass him and pi$$ off.

Just trying to imagine how to handle being tailed in a big rig. He may have felt someone was "up his tailpipe" STS even prior to pulling in @ MM126. They'd have known he would be back on the road before long and could have waited up ahead for him to carry on his way only to do.the same this time in front of him. Could have kept slowing down to make him do the same.

If he did pull in there after being followed and they continued on down the road, he may have thought whew maybe they weren't following me. Only to get back on the road and see them again, waiting or whatever...

No traffic this time of night they say. I dunno.

Where is David???

Last edited:
But also from the beginning the question has been asked, where is David's family?? Why aren't they speaking out? We only hear from Sarah?....but there, there is his cousin all the way in CA, a relative.
Respectfully, posting a viewer comment to a published news report is hardly "speaking out."

In this day and age -- you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. I'd never give interviews in this climate -- especially if LE clearly is not your partner who devoted resources to clear you and willing to stand by you.

Last I heard, Sac County Sheriff said everybody is suspect which translates to every thing you say to the public can be used against you. MOO

Its true ... can't please everyone.

Respectfully, it was just an observation on my part. I apologize if I mis-spoke.
I'm glad you posted it so we can see another family member's thoughts. Sarah has mentioned in an interview that her dad thought it might be the cartel too. Likely, I'm just naive to the drug world, but DS being taken as a driver for the cartel would be very low on my list of possibilities, yet this keeps being brought up by family. I don't understand. Maybe it's the scenario that doesn't cast any shade on DS? Or they know more about living in rural Iowa than I do? IDK...

Shared from SS fb link -- David's rig/trailer flipped during 2021 tornado. See minute mark 3:30 -- he was loaded with piglets. They are being collected/contained.

07-14-2021 Lake City, IA - Tornado and Home Severely Damaged Drone​

Maybe he was distracted by some one tailing him maybe from MM126...so he started to gradually slowing down, trying to see if they would go around him, hoping they would pass him and pi$$ off.

Just trying to imagine how to handle being tailed in a big rig. He may have felt someone was "up his tailpipe" STS even prior to pulling in @ MM126. They'd have known he would be back on the road before long and could have waited up ahead for him to carry on his way only to do.the same this time in front of him. Could have kept slowing down to make him do the same.

If he did pull in there after being followed and they continued on down the road, he may have thought whew maybe they weren't following me. Only to get back on the road and see them again, waiting or whatever...

No traffic this time of night they say. I dunno.

Where is David???
The times given by LE for when David left the MM126 truck stop and arrived at the Hwy20/Hwy 71 exit when taking into consideration the distance between the two, show the trucks average speed being around 63-64 MPH when I first pointed it out when the information was released. This is taking into account the amount of time David would have needed to get the truck back on the Hwy and up to speed after leaving the MM126 stop.

The speed and times don't allow for any stopping between the two points and slowing down for a possible tailing vehicle ect. for any length of time because if David did, he would have had to drive very fast to make up that time to maintain the average speed that he did.

A ten minute stop between point A and B would have increased the average speed needed to cover the same distance to 78 MPH and that is not taking into consideration the extra time needed to slow to a stop and get back up to speed after stopping. Big truck just to do 0-60 in 5.2 seconds like I'm sure many of you know. So more like 80-81 MPH to maintain the average speed of 63 MPH between the two points if a 10 minute stop was involved. If David had slowed down for a tailing vehicle, I would expect the average speed to decrease and not be consistent with the speed limit.

(Investigators obtained video footage of David Schultz at 11:15 PM on November 21, 2023, at the MM126 truck stop east of Fort Dodge on Hwy 20. Schultz is there for 16 minutes before leaving the truck stop. Cell phone shows Schultz’s phone arrives at Hwy 20 & 71 at about 12:18 AM. That is 47 minutes of travel time, considering the 16 minutes ended when the truck started rolling. I figured it took 4 minutes to get back on the Hwy and up to speed and the little extra time slowing down approaching the exit and coming to a stop. It's 44 miles between MM126 and the exit which is at Mile Marker 82)

Speed/time/distance calculator if you would like to play: Speed Distance Time Calculator

JMO

Okay random thought here. What if DS truck was targeted because it was right before Black Friday and NOT that the perps actually targeted him specifically?. Maybe it was an attempted theft gone wrong once the peeps realized he was carrying live cargo and not (tv’s or higher priced merchandise)?

Okay random thought here. What if DS truck was targeted because it was right before Black Friday and NOT that the perps actually targeted him specifically?. Maybe it was an attempted theft gone wrong once the peeps realized he was carrying live cargo and not (tv’s or higher priced merchandise)?

Cattle trailers are pretty distinctive looking. I'm not sure anyone would mistake a cattle trailer for a trailer hauling high dollar electronics/merchandise.

But there are some REALLY dumb criminals around so who knows. Once they got close to the trailer they should have known it wasn't TV's they were smelling. Although I would imagine some would consider that stench the smell of money.

JMO

I don't know the area but it sounds like it's not one traveled for merchandise. Livestock trailers are pretty recognizable in my opinion.

It's still like that. US 218 is still the main N/S route through Eastern Iowa and trucks are thick. Over in the area we're talking about, US 20 is the primary E/W route, same thing. But they're both well maintained now with nice wide shoulders. You're right, the idea of being unseen is laughable.

The route DS took was high visibility until he turned north on 71. That little stretch was the only opportunity where he probably wouldn't be seen in the middle of the night.

Do we even know if he has family? He may be an only child and his parents may have passed etc. I just don't know how many family members he even has as to my knowledge I have not seen that ever mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne