IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if someone said this before and it's sort of far fetched but nothing else makes sense to me either, besides if there is a new development i have yet to see (I still have 4 pages to catch up on)... road rage?

None of it makes sense to me, except an incident that we can't imagine what because it was so unpredictable or unlikely, occurred.

All we know is where he was last seen.

Also part of what I don't believe is that DS would have stopped his truck without leaving it lit up for hazard lighting.

Was the relevant paperwork for the load of hogs found in his cab or about his clothing? The papers that he would have need to drop in the slot after delivery? I can't recall seeing that mentioned.

Also the lone house across from where the truck was found parked up, seems like a strange and isolated place to have a house all by itself but what do we know about who lives there, if anything, and have they got anything to add to this strange story?

This kind of comes at random, but very recently & all IMO, I have thought that someone followed him from where he picked up the pigs, watched him make a stop, and knew where he was going, so they went ahead and waited for him at the exit. ETA-They proababy would have followed him all the way to the drop off location, but found intercepting him a the exit to be easier. Again all IMO,

Hi, I've read up on these threads and this story reminds me so much of the case of poor young Dylan Rounds, a hard working young farming man from Utah:

UT - UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

All the same theories on whether he could have walked away from his life and family or self-harmed were raised. There were also a couple of strange recent events had happened to him, transpired to be complete red herrings. The searching and surveillance all came to nothing.

The sad fact of the matter is that young Dylan needed to slightly change his plans that day he was taken from this world in order to get his grain truck undercover and sheltered from rain. An older local man who lived on the edge of DR's property shot and killed Dylan and hid his body (never recovered to this day). This was not known for many months but the truth was finally 'told' when footage from Dylan's mobile phone camera was retrieved.

Going back to DS - sadly it is my opinion that something similar has happened to him. He was headed to his drop off and either someone with a grievance against him knew where to lie in wait -or- something happened at the drop off point IMO. Someone took over his truck, drove it slowly probably due to difficulty and abandoned it far enough away from the scene of the crime to cause confusion. I know people say that driving one of these trucks is impossible but I agree that local farming and livestock folk probably learn how to drive every type of vehicle from a really young age.

JMO but I don't think DS would abandon his family, would fail to deliver the pigs and in fact abandon the vulnerable livestock, or leave his personal possessions inc licence and cash, then leave his truck parked unlit dangerously where it could cause harm, injury, or even death. I don't believe any of that.
JMO but I suspect he fell foul of some totally random unpredictable circumstance which led to a dispute -or- this is personal and someone who knows him and his route knew where to lie in wait. I even wonder whether he had a passing incident with a fellow truck driver who was due to be at the drop off station with their load either before or after him? What do we know of this station and how many loads it took / was expecting whilst unmanned? Or whether even a member of staff was still around?

JMO MOO
In my reading of the posts so far, he never reached the delivery point nor was their anyone there to expect him. His failure to deliver was triggered by the morning person going it and noting the shortage of pigs.

In my reading of the posts so far, he never reached the delivery point nor was their anyone there to expect him. His failure to deliver was triggered by the morning person going it and noting the shortage of pigs.

Do we have proof he never reached the delivery point? Even from the road outside. I've read that there's CCTV there but then I read conflicting that there wasn't.

If someone assaulted DS or harmed him, if there was some conflict, it could only be at a point where he's dismounted from his truck for a reason. Approaching the delivery drop off would be a solid reason, perhaps he was even queued behind a fellow hog trucker ? Or crossing paths with one leaving, have a chat say a few words? Or maybe he was just about to drop off when another short tempered driver arrived and wanted to go first or such like? Sadly it's these day to day mundane conflicts that end up with people dead, not anything fantastical or 'ran away to start a new life' type fantasies. JMO MOO

Do we have proof he never reached the delivery point? Even from the road outside. I've read that there's CCTV there but then I read conflicting that there wasn't.

If someone assaulted DS or harmed him, if there was some conflict, it could only be at a point where he's dismounted from his truck for a reason. Approaching the delivery drop off would be a solid reason, perhaps he was even queued behind a fellow hog trucker ? Or crossing paths with one leaving, have a chat say a few words? Or maybe he was just about to drop off when another short tempered driver arrived and wanted to go first or such like? Sadly it's these day to day mundane conflicts that end up with people dead, not anything fantastical or 'ran away to start a new life' type fantasies. JMO MOO
From the Dec 9 SCSO press release:

“Video surveillance from an area business was obtained near Wieckman Hog Buying station. This video shows that David Schultz never made it to Wieckman’s. Law enforcement has searched for additional video footage from Eagle Grove to Fort Dodge but has not located any.”

im catching up so forgive me.
this sheriff's dept doesn't seem to care about missing people. when the other guy went missing, they shrugged and told his sister, "he'll probably turn up in a pond in a few years." they did even less for him than they did for dave, and i believe he was found on a search FOR dave... beyond the searches that occurred however i am not sure any investigative process is going on here... but i still have 7 pages of reading to catch up on
In the previous case, LE did exactly what they should have done - determine there was no indication of foul play. That's pretty much the end of their involvement. And in this case, again with no indication of foul play, there's not a lot they can of should do except wait for DS to turn up.

In the previous case, LE did exactly what they should have done - determine there was no indication of foul play. That's pretty much the end of their involvement. And in this case, again with no indication of foul play, there's not a lot they can of should do except wait for DS to turn up.
Missing persons should be assigned a detective and looked for. LE should look for a missing person until they are located. Once person is located they can say hey im fine eff off if they want to. But their well-being needs to be ascertained. I'm a little surprised to read this opinion on a website literally about missing people, on a thread about a missing person...

You just posed a possible, if someone knows for sure. Do cell phones track direction as well as time and movement? I
know the triangulation of adjacent towers but does it function in close proximity to just one.

Suppose David stopped, turned south and made it to the barn. Attack occurred there, he incapacitated and the rig, still laden driven to it's found location position..

This would coincide with LB saying he thinks it happened at the delivery point. But posts of two supposedly vigilant cameras show nothing. This would somewhat agree with the slow /time distance discussed on why time taken from the stop sign to final location. But, defies the cameras not catching it. Perps could / would have avoided the cameras themselves, but doubt if D would. Just the truest quickest way as he was tired already from that days deliveries.

First, two apologies. One to the mod - I am new but thank you for correcting my post and apologies again for my error on that. Secondly, work got a hold of me for a few days so just catching up here.

Response to a few of the most recent posts. I've traveled Highway 20 in less remote areas than DS was at and in earlier time of evening. There is very little traffic - usually only other truckers. Coming from the other direction on 20, it can be difficult to see the exit that is for the west bound traffic to exit and would really have to look for it. Seeing a truck sitting there would not be totally out of the normal either.

In regards to the hot farms around here...many times the owner of the barn(building), the owners of the hogs and the people who actually care for the hogs are all different people/entities. Further, you then have farm hands and trucks coming in and out so there is a lot going on with many hands involved. As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, it would not be unusual to find a few "cash" employees who man the overnights and those in the industry speak of a high use of drugs because of the late and long hours. These are many times ideal locations and have been many busts of manufacturing in rural areas because of the chemicals used in farming and the isolated locations.

From all accounts, he never made it to the drop off location. Apparently other business cameras did not pick him up and the phone usage vs camera time seems to match. Someone did mention about him possibly arranging a meet up point or location while seen stopped on camera at the truck stop. This got me thinking about phone laws and know it's incredibly strict with Iowa DOT employees and if I recall correctly (and could be wrong on this), also very strict with commercial licenses. I wonder if he wouldn't text/drive or talk and drive as the way it sounds, he is not likely to have ear buds/headset. So he possibly had to stop to coordinate like the other poster mentioned?

But for him to willingly travel that road - where there is hardly any shoulder, or turn around points and turns into gravel. I know he could take other farm roads but just doesn't seem ideal to willingly go down that road so far. And interestingly, the location his truck was found was pinned now as DS name (was not like this yesterday) with a link to the DCI page about him.

In my opinion, it was not random. And whether it was planned or not - I have not been able to gather. Seems with the wallet there and nothing else missing what other motive would there be? That to me says it was for a specific reason which would leave two options - again, MOO. A- someone needed a semi driver or B - someone didn't like what he was doing (competition) or he didn't like what someone else was doing and became a threat (turning someone else in).

A bunch of snow just dumped on our area too with more to come, so while there don't seem to be any current searches, I fear if he is out there, nothing would be found for quite some time now.

OldAce-
You just triggered something… “nor was there anyone there to expect him”! DS would have known no one was there-no one there to note the time DS arrived to drop off the load of pigs. I thought I read that DS had an appointment time to drop off the load of pigs at midnight? (I could be wrong.) If there was a drop-off time, only the cameras would have seen DS arrive since no one was at Weichman’s.

With no one to receive the load:
1. If DS disappeared on his own, he'd know no one was waiting at the drop-off location. Gives him time to get away-surely he didn't expect it to take as long as it did for someone to find his truck…thought the piggies would be ok.
2. If targeted, perp(s) would possibly know DS wouldn't be discovered missing for several hours.

I don’t think DS would have abandoned his load. Being that his load was livestock, there are regulations and penalties for abandoning livestock. Serious offense.
I read an article about livestock transport and I didn't realize how strict the rules and regulations are.

Also the lone house across from where the truck was found parked up, seems like a strange and isolated place to have a house all by itself but what do we know about who lives there, if anything, and have they got anything to add to this strange story?
Snipped.
Nothing strange about a house by itself in farm country. The house is probably owned along with the farmland all around it. So when everyone has a farm, houses can be very far apart.

OldAce-
You just triggered something… “nor was there anyone there to expect him”! DS would have known no one was there-no one there to note the time DS arrived to drop off the load of pigs. I thought I read that DS had an appointment time to drop off the load of pigs at midnight? (I could be wrong.) If there was a drop-off time, only the cameras would have seen DS arrive since no one was at Weichman’s.

With no one to receive the load:
1. If DS disappeared on his own, he'd know no one was waiting at the drop-off location. Gives him time to get away-surely he didn't expect it to take as long as it did for someone to find his truck…thought the piggies would be ok.
2. If targeted, perp(s) would possibly know DS wouldn't be discovered missing for several hours.

I don’t think DS would have abandoned his load. Being that his load was livestock, there are regulations and penalties for abandoning livestock. Serious offense.
I read an article about livestock transport and I didn't realize how strict the rules and regulations are.

IMO there is no possible way that DS abandoned his life. It doesn't work in any context, including the points that you make - he could then be a 'wanted' man upon return for all sorts of things including traffic violations and abandoning baby pigs, probably things that would violate his truck licence and generate hefty fines.

When I first read the $2,000 was untouched, I thought well maybe he's left that to cover his costs and not leave the family with a debt but that makes zero sense whatsoever. IMO if DS were to abandon his life it would have been a very different scenario.

How far either side of Weickman's does the CCTV cover? Most esp what would have been DS's approach road? Because if someone targeted DS as an individual (ie, it's personal) -or- some type of deranged gangsters hijacked or blocked the road or caused an incident, then whatever happened was whenever DS's driving became unusual, after the truck stop, and before there's no CCTV footage. Could be total coincidence or could be someone who knows the roads and the area and indeed Weickman's very well.

Could be an 1) an aggrieved trucker; 2) a member of staff from Weickman's; 3) random criminal(s), hijackers, cartel, or insane persons; 4) someone who knew DS's route and intentions and had a personal vendetta against him;

If we completely remove 'a medical event' and 'voluntary disappearance / self harm' from the equation because they're so hopelessly unlikely and don't make any sense at all, then we're left with a random attack or a targeted attack. We can also rule out 'robbery' as the intention of the targeted attack unless the robber was so freaked out at the turn of events, or injured during the turn of events, they abandoned mission (seems extremely unlikely).

It would be difficult to create a roadblock / hijack situation with someone driving a huge heavy truck as that person could simply drive through you or run you over -or- they could be heavily armed with a sub and shoot you all stone dead.

How did whomsoever got DS to stop know he would stop and step out of the vehicle?
How did they know he wasn't armed and wouldn't blow their head(s) off?
How did they know his cab isn't recording with a dashcam?
Nor registering on a GPS tracking system?
Nor his phone connected to an app so his wife or boss or kids can see where he's at?
How did they know they weren't on any CCTV?
How did they know the (one and only) house adjacent where they abandoned the truck didn't have cameras covering the terrain and road?

Who was DS irritating?
Was he undercutting the other drivers by working independently and so hard, possibly causing everyone loss of earnings?
Was his taking on so many jobs he was encroaching on the usual loads of other drivers?
Did he have big monies owed to someone who felt it was hopeless to recoup and therefore was 'disrespected'?

Was DS messing around in someone else's territory -or- perceived to be?
Was DS messing around with someone else's woman -or- perceived to be?
Did DS have any aggrieved family members (family of origin? / ex partners? adult children?)?
Did DS have any aggrieved local townsfolk?

Was there any possibility DS was asked to step out of his truck and turn the engine off by LE?
Or a traffic violations agency or trucking monitoring enforcement?
Or some persons pretending to be LE or some form of enforcement?
Or a known worker from Weickman's hailed him down before he got there?

Did DS indeed pick up a hitcher or seemingly vulnerable person(s) along the way?
Is it possible he hooked up with a sex worker?

Assuming some fatal incident:

Where did the perp(s) dispose of his body?
Where did the perp(s) go after first disposing of his body and then abandoning the truck?
Where would the perps likely land up if they were on foot?
Did the perps have their own vehicle(s)?
Where would they likely drive off to on road and were any vehicles spotted on CCTVs or ring doorbells within the time frame?

JMO, MOO, I am just speculating and asking questions.

Let's not forget that poor, hardworking, upstanding, Dylan Rounds of Utah was shot dead by an emotionally unstable, violent, older male (probable alcoholic) who was squatting on the perimeter of his farmland *probably* just because he annoyed him by wanting to gain access to a gate in order to put his grain truck undercover from rain. No other reason. His body has never been found, may he rest in peace and may his family gain justice.

Also a question I have is why the people or persons who knew DS and saw his truck parked up dark with no hazards whatsoever and no sign of him personally, thought this was perfectly normal and he 'had it in hand', whatever 'it' was??

In fact it was perfectly abnormal and completely unusual behaviour, extremely dangerous, all kinds of traffic and trucking violations, and to me personally would indicate that he was in serious trouble.

JMO MOO

But LE can't determine if foul play occured until they actually find the missing person.

And if the person is endangered (has known mental health issues/ is a minor/ is acting out of character/ or is lost in a rural area, for examples) it absolutely is LE's job to do everything they are able to find the person. Both cases met/meet the criteria. It's unconscionable for LE to do the bare minimum because of assumptions.
My opinion, of course.

Hi, I've read up on these threads and this story reminds me so much of the case of poor young Dylan Rounds, a hard working young farming man from Utah:

UT - UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

All the same theories on whether he could have walked away from his life and family or self-harmed were raised. There were also a couple of strange recent events had happened to him, transpired to be complete red herrings. The searching and surveillance all came to nothing.

The sad fact of the matter is that young Dylan needed to slightly change his plans that day he was taken from this world in order to get his grain truck undercover and sheltered from rain. An older local man who lived on the edge of DR's property shot and killed Dylan and hid his body (never recovered to this day). This was not known for many months but the truth was finally 'told' when footage from Dylan's mobile phone camera was retrieved.

Going back to DS - sadly it is my opinion that something similar has happened to him. He was headed to his drop off and either someone with a grievance against him knew where to lie in wait -or- something happened at the drop off point IMO. Someone took over his truck, drove it slowly probably due to difficulty and abandoned it far enough away from the scene of the crime to cause confusion. I know people say that driving one of these trucks is impossible but I agree that local farming and livestock folk probably learn how to drive every type of vehicle from a really young age.

JMO but I don't think DS would abandon his family, would fail to deliver the pigs and in fact abandon the vulnerable livestock, or leave his personal possessions inc licence and cash, then leave his truck parked unlit dangerously where it could cause harm, injury, or even death. I don't believe any of that.
JMO but I suspect he fell foul of some totally random unpredictable circumstance which led to a dispute -or- this is personal and someone who knows him and his route knew where to lie in wait. I even wonder whether he had a passing incident with a fellow truck driver who was due to be at the drop off station with their load either before or after him? What do we know of this station and how many loads it took / was expecting whilst unmanned? Or whether even a member of staff was still around?

JMO MOO
The reason I don't think it's random is the combination of two things:
*He was running late for the pickup
*He stopped at a closed truck stop and was texting/doing something on his phone.

You know how it feels when you're late - and for work that late at night, I'd think you'd want to get done and go home, especially with a load of livestock - that's riskier cargo than most because you really need them all to be alive and in good shape when they are dropped off - not like cans of tomatoes that don't need food/water/warmth.

So knowing all that - you're already late, it's late, your cargo is time sensitive - why pull over on such a short trip to a) not get gas and b) be doing what looks like communicating with someone on your phone?

That sounds like a planned meeting to me. So either that planned meeting went very, very well, or it went very, very wrong.

*He stopped at a closed truck stop and was texting/doing something on his phone.

You know how it feels when you're late - and for work that late at night, I'd think you'd want to get done and go home, especially with a load of livestock - that's riskier cargo than most because you really need them all to be alive and in good shape when they are dropped off - not like cans of tomatoes that don't need food/water/warmth.

So knowing all that - you're already late, it's late, your cargo is time sensitive - why pull over on such a short trip to a) not get gas and b) be doing what looks like communicating with someone on your phone?

That sounds like a planned meeting to me. So either that planned meeting went very, very well, or it went very, very wrong.

Is it possible that DS was simply arranging to meet an unloading hand or checking to see if there was an unloading hand still there? I imagine that unloading is ten times faster with the right help than doing it alone.

From what I understand, he wasn't running late at that point, he was in a timely fashion had he gone direct to the drop off?

Does he usually have to check in with Wieckman's to notify them he'll be there in 15 mins so they can open an electronic gate or give him an entry code? Or check that another driver isn't currently unloading? How long does unloading take? I imagine that because of the dimensions of the trucks and the inability to do a 'U' turn etc, and reversing and passing for two big trucks maybe being tricky, you'd make sure your vehicle is all clear to enter the unloading bay? Or you'd hold off until instructed?

Why can't his service provider supply LE the details of any texts, calls, web searches?

JMO but I find it exceptionally hard to believe DS has done a runner in a whole new identity to start a new life, never to be seen again, and planned it like this. I'm personally putting zero belief into that scenario.

JMO MOO

A perp, who didn't know, which truck exactly DS was driving (type/license plates/loaded or unloaded), but wanted something important of him, could have rang DS' cell phone and ordered him to MM126. If the unknown person waited for him in the vicinity, he could have seen, when and in which truck DS would appear. I think, truckers know, when a truck stop is always closed and normally wouldn't head for that business/parking lot. DS should have known and had almost no reason, to stop there.

After that, the perp could have waited for DS near the exit or whatever.

Also, DS could have had a disturbing incoming communication as opposed to making or taking an arranged call? But what?

Something that really threw him and he did something he wouldn't normally do, ie agreed to pick up / collect / help someone from the roadside or suchlike - an unusual an exceptional event because he'd been misled or lured?

JMO MOO

Also a question I have is why the people or persons who knew DS and saw his truck parked up dark with no hazards whatsoever and no sign of him personally, thought this was perfectly normal and he 'had it in hand', whatever 'it' was??

In fact it was perfectly abnormal and completely unusual behaviour, extremely dangerous, all kinds of traffic and trucking violations, and to me personally would indicate that he was in serious trouble.

JMO MOO
YES…THIS…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members